Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2005, 18:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sunday morning drive for breakfast!!

Can’t say much about other cities but Bangalore nowadays is hell for car drivers. I’m sure everybody’s suffering from this situation but those who’re almost half way through the intensive care units, are the TBHPians in Bangalore.

In 1994, from my place to my office was a less than 10 minutes drive. No, you don’t have to go through a stunt for this cause the distance is only 6km. Today you’ll take more than half an hour. Till year and half back, weekends were free to roam around all over the city. Today, unless you’re are desperate, you would not like to go to those so called thick of action places.

I firmly believe that behind all these chaotic conditions lies mainly one issue..the way people drive here. Since there in no sense of timeline, one must finds his own way to find a way. Autos are the biggest culprits and those who stay in Bombay suburbs know what exactly I mean.

Going through this, day in and out forced TBHPian Rahulmd and me to take a very drastic step. Drive out almost 70km to have your breakfast. Well, it can’t be a regular affair but no harm drive out on Sunday morning early.

So imagine an early morning when a battery of TBHPian’s cars hitting the highway.

Imagine a fairly clean highway (NH4) where you can keep an average of 100kmph.

Imagine a long stretch where you can comfortably push your car and glowing vermilion Gulmohar trees are the only witnesses.

Last evening I had asked Jaggu if I can pull him out of the bed by 6. He snarled at me and threatened me to sever our friendship.

So me and Rahul seem to be the only members who had nothing better to do, left town around 7. Within half an hour two fairly highway compatible cars started cruising around 120kmph.

Team from front

Team from back

Few newly tarred stretches with clean white markings are really good. Rahul was pushing his Black 1.6 Petra with lovely hum from the exhaust. Last when I saw him driving in town gave me a feeling of a very neutral calm driving. Freshly tarred and painted NH4 must have poked his male ego and I could see the result. After every overtake, he was down shifting little more than necessary and boy, with a sudden dip in exhaust note that Petra was flying out of my sight.

Look at the spot!!

On the other hand since I’m a strong believer of torque, kept my car more on 5th and plus minus 4000 rpm range. Surprise, surprise! From 80kmph mark to 160 took really little time without any shift. New tires are extremely confidence gathering and regular curves are no more panic zones.

And look at the sky!!

Window up, Fourplay’s ‘Between the sheets’ playing, cruising at 130…total Sunday bliss. Breakfast at ‘Kamat’. Nice clean dosa, idli/vada washing down with strong south Indian coffee. Total distance covered 150km. It surely can be more depending on energy level.

Bangalore TBHPians, you can cosider this as a reconnaissance trip for your future.We’re going to do this regularly from now on. What say Rahul?

P.S. Rahul drove my car but he didn’t offer me his..
Photos are from Nokia 7610
Old 8th May 2005, 18:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rudra,

Thats a nice drive on a sunday morning ! and whatever you said about the traffic conditions is perfectly apt !

Quote:
I firmly believe that behind all these chaotic conditions lies mainly one issue..the way people drive here. Since there in no sense of timeline, one must finds his own way to find a way. Autos are the biggest culprits and those who stay in Bombay suburbs know what exactly I mean.
add to that the total non existence of civic sense these days and what do we have ? rowdy drivers having a short temper ready to pounce in to an argument at the drop of a hat !

Roads in bombay are bad as hell these days as the widening work is on and we are driving in hope that we get the extra lane to drive .....hope it doesnt go to the hawkers and autos to create auto stands .....

and yeah - nice pics too ( before i forget)

cheers
Old 8th May 2005, 18:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Old man says -Understanding comes with time but time waits for no one. so if you are late you dont have understanding
What do you have to say oh wise one?

Mumbai types need to do this too. Sunday mornings seems like a good time too. Errr...except, I will need a ride.
Old 8th May 2005, 18:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai types need to do this too. Sunday mornings seems like a good time too. Errr...except, I will need a ride.
Your only probelm is that a 70km drive wont be enuf to get you out of Bbay. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 8th May 2005, 19:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai ites, we should plan breakfast at Lonavala.
Seems like a really good idea.
Old 9th May 2005, 09:43   #6
BHPian

Hi Rudra....

Great write up there and faboulous pics.. especially the reflection of the skyline on the bonnet... but what truely amazed me was the fact that all of this was from a Nokia 7610... awesome!!!....

I do have fond memories of 1.25 years stint in Bangalore.. about a year ago.. the traffic conditions were bad... but i hear from my friends back there that things have really worsened....

A classic peice that i would like to share here... I used to stay at Victoria Layout.. just behind Lifestyle... so MG and Brig were a 10 min walk from my place... any friend wanting to hit MG/Brig on a weekend.. wud land at my place... leave the vehicle.. be it a bike/car... and walk or rick it up....

And yes.. i used to do the classic morning drive routine there... my place of work used to be a 2 min drive ... lifestyle to Mayo hall... barely wud the temp gauge reach "C"... thanx to the cool blr climate in the morn.. than i wud have rcd office.. so at times i wud leave a lil early... take on airport road.... hit inner ringroad at the indira ngr junction (which i hear is very bad now)... and rip the car on ring road all the way to kormngla jn... u -turn and off to work at MG ... all fresh and satisfied after a great drive......

Great days those!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Your only probelm is that a 70km drive wont be enuf to get you out of Bbay. LOL

Shan2nu
- That aint the story pal shan.... morning drives on the eastern express highway are dream.... i mean.. safe roads.. good roads.. and u can comfortable do a 100-120.. on a daily basis.. smooooothly....

Cheers
Old 9th May 2005, 10:09   #7
BHPian

rudra sir amazing... i wish i was staying in banglore i would have got up at 5 fer this .... people lets make it happen in bombay ... lets just go and drive at the expressway have a nice lunch at some restaurant and return back... a whole bunch of t-bhp cars
Old 9th May 2005, 11:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

yaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn.... i hate this cities traffic...
Old 9th May 2005, 11:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Rudra
grrrrrroowwwwllll......
Old 9th May 2005, 11:34   #10
BHPian

Rudra:

Nice write-up. Really nice pics. I never knew that Nokia 7610 had such excellent pic capabilities. Truly amazing.

I completely agree about the traffic conditions in Bangalore....These days if I have to go to the most happening places in Bangalore, I take a auto......shows our desperation, doesn't it?
Old 9th May 2005, 11:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Im game for mumbai drive....and rudra...great write up and pics as usual.

Drifter
Old 9th May 2005, 11:45   #12
BHPian

Rudra Sir If you are willing to travel some more, then there is this amazing Iyengar's Mess in Dharmapuri. Would take 2 hours travel, but the food is just amazing! And the service is something that would put many a star hotels to shame. And the best thing is the waiters dont take tips!

If that is too far then you should try the TTDC in Krishnagiri. Its on the Madras highway which branches to the left at Krishnagiri. The lunch there is very good. I used to time my trips to and from coimbatore in such a way that i stop at either one of these places but now the work is taking its toll. Hardly get up before 11 on weekends.
Old 9th May 2005, 13:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Breakfast at ‘Kamat’. Nice clean dosa, idli/vada washing down with strong south Indian coffee. Total distance covered 150km.
Hey was it a Kamat Upachar on the Blore Tumkur road? That is a nice place and the roads are brilliant too.

Shan2nu
Old 9th May 2005, 13:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid
morning drives on the eastern express highway are dream.... i mean.. safe roads.. good roads.. and u can comfortable do a 100-120.. on a daily basis.. smooooothly....
Cheers
Viv,
the eastern express on a early morning is fun to drive but but......the work is still on under all the flyovers and tarring is incomplete at most places ...so u have the right lane higher than the left one.. !!

and i disagree on the safe road - No road in this country is safe. you never know when an idiot will come running from the bushes besides the roads after finishing his nature's call right into the path of your 120 kmph missile.....so drive safe and be alert always.

but yeah after the work is finished on the roads..they will rock !
Old 9th May 2005, 13:43   #15
BHPian

Hey guys, both the cars look amazing. You are right that Bangalore is a hell for drivers. Thats the reason i had to buy a small car (Xing).. .....I belong to noida and driving on GT road from noida - chandigarh was fun.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks