Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 02:20   #1
BHPian

Tailgating @ 100kmph.!

I was on my way yesterday (17/3) to Pune on the expressway, after lonavla it was dark, was overtaking a tanker on my left, with a truck on my left.

Intrinsically there are three lanes on the expressway with a lay by area (dead lane) on the extreme left of the Mumbai Pune expressway, there is also a couple of feet distance between the barrier wall on the first lane (the fastest and the last lane on the expressway) and the the lane.

At approx 8 pm there's this crazed innova driver who without lights comes close to my bumper , less than a feet away, I am doing a 100kmph in a WagaonR trying to overtake a tanker on my right, he's in the middle lane, I am peacefully trying to overtake, I have flashed my lights and he's moved into the middle lane.

Suddenly I see a light in my OVRM & rear view mirror, this man driving an innova white colour, MH 14 BK 5000 number plate, is flashing his lights less than a feet away from my bumper !!

I did not see his lights, he had most probably after market xenons or blue lights.
Full white Innova, bearing number plate MH 14 BK 5000.

I try and move a bit aside, he's now beginning to overtake from my right hand side, he's passed into the run off area between the lane marker & the barrier seperating the traffic from one side from the other.

He then flashes lights, honks meanwhile getting into the space between the barrier and me, all this is happening at 100kmph.

I am compelled to nearly run into the tanker on my left, (to avoid the Innova banging into me @ 100kmph) who i am overtaking and spare a couple of inches distance from him while this (unmentionable) Innova driver has to pass me by my right half on the last lane and half into the run off area sparing inches between my car and the metal barrier.

What's the use of all this ? I had elderly people in my car, there was no way I could have chased, followed up with him.

There's no way in hell anything would have compelled anyone to drive like that. Apart from a hit and run. This person when he passed seemed like a joy rider as he was doing the same with everyone else on the road including heavily laden tankers/trailer tractors carrying steel coils and other road users.

I will find this person by hook or crook.

Meanwhile any one having info on this car please inform me.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 19th March 2009 at 02:25.
Old 19th March 2009, 08:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

The only way to avoid the critical situation was to accelerate harder and get ahead of the taker or not to give him way. The limitation was the passengers you had. Wagon R can easily catch Innova.
But thats a different story.
What if you manage to find this person ? You are wasting you energy by doing this. Whatever you do you will not be able to teach him a lesson. Even if you manage to beat him well, he will again end up doing the same thing to someone else.

I am not supporting any maniac driver, but it could also be possible that the Innova human was in a hurry to reach a spot, may be some emergency ?
Old 19th March 2009, 08:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well some morons never change. Just last week on my way to Lakkavalli about 300kms from bangy, an alto nearly missed rear ending my car.
Looked more like an ego problem I overtook him and he kept tailing me at about 90kmph. All thru I could sense this chap never had any control of his car coz he was all over the road trying to overtake me.

Karnataka is famous for its unmarked speed breakers and bang we are one of those umarked speedbreakers at a village. I managed to slow down and the alto in an attempt to avoid my car veers to the right, hits the hump real hard bounces off the road and stops on the right side of the road. He just missed a tree on the right side by inches.

I pull over to my left and in less than 30 secs therez a bus coming from the opposite direction. Imagine the scene if the bus would have come a little earlier ? One of us or our cars would have been history.

Villagers gather and I get outta my car to check on these chaps. 3 chaps in the car, 2 sleeping have been really shocked outta their wits and the driver is shivering. I went over and gave them a mouthful in kannada and then it was the villagers turn whose ire and brunt had to be faced by these 3 teenagers.

Lesson learnt well " Never tailgate at high speeds" , the driver was still shivering when I left and he never uttered a word.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

UV's driven by drivers rather than owners are one of the rashly driven vehicles.
I usually let them fly or when i am driving fast just downshift and floor the pedal to get rid of these morons
Old 19th March 2009, 09:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning, on my drive to work, there is this guy in a skoda superb (quite obviously was a chauffeur), who was doing all this nonsense to me on the GST road. He was trying to overtake where there was no space, honking, flashing lights, what not. I just held my lane, drove peacefully and did not let him pass till i got a clear track where I could move away. He was visibly annoyed at having been held up. Who cares!
Old 19th March 2009, 10:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

ahh this is common on hiways these days, have seen Innovas been driven like this obv thanks to the power.

Also many times in city have seen bikers/cars doing it...they wont give any indication until they are damn close to you.
Old 19th March 2009, 10:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Please stop berating the Innova driver.
He has an appointment with Yamraj.
And is trying to meet him asap.
Maybe wants to work for Yamraj as well.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 10:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
.............Full white Innova, bearing number plate MH 14 BK 5000...............
From the "VIP" number, it is some wealthy guy from Pune side - his son or driver maybe?

Finding this guy may be more trouble than it is worth. Not to say that I don't sympathise with you - I know how it feels when this sort of thing happens. Glad no mishap occurred.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess it is best to hold your line in these circumstances. Giving way to a crazy driver during an overtaking maneuvre is a bit risky.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:11   #10
BANNED

Wagon R can never ever catch any Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Wagon R can easily catch Innova.
But thats a different story.
His emergency could put many in emergency.
Quote:
but it could also be possible that the Innova human was in a hurry to reach a spot, may be some emergency ?
Old 19th March 2009, 11:28   #11
BHPian

WagonR cannot catch innova but can hold it back (read as blocking the path) but what would be the outcome of this?

This incident is more common in mum-pune exp highway. I used to travel this route every weekend for around 6 months and these morons are all the way. Overtaking from the 3rd lane in khandala ghat just after tunnel is very common, and many more.

All we need to take care of our self and our ride. let the other driver pass and overtake. There are "n" numbers of incidents in which these kind of drivers overtake and hit something 400 -500 meters ahead.

Quote:
I will find this person by hook or crook.
That driver will learn his lesson some way or other. Please dont waste your time for treating him a lesson.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Innova is a superb, steady vehicle which makes it a terror in the hands of morons. I have come across many who are impatient and I allow them to pass as its not worth the trouble to try and compete with them. The Registration number indicates in all probability some bigwig within the state. Did it also carry a political party symbol like a clock or something

I have seen many with such fancy numbers that too written in big big font most of the time in Devnagari. They are generally crazy guys.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Innova is a superb, steady vehicle which makes it a terror in the hands of morons.The Registration number indicates in all probability some bigwig within the state. Did it also carry a political party symbol like a clock or something

I have seen many with such fancy numbers that too written in big big font most of the time in Devnagari. They are generally crazy guys.
I don't think so, one does not use the run off area to overtake, if he needed a crap he should have taken one somewhere.

Finding this person means there's no physical harm intended, just to give him a peace of my mind in very quiet terms.

Clock symbol or hand or kamal symbol ? lol, does that give him or her a license to drive like a maniac ? You read the Nanda BMW hit & run case ? Alistair Perreira (Toyota in Mumbai) Salman case ?

At this point of time what any politician does not need is negative publicity.

This being done in the city would have been condoned, not on an expressway.

Cheers
Old 19th March 2009, 12:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
At this point of time what any politician does not need is negative publicity.

This being done in the city would have been condoned, not on an expressway.
Looks like MMMJGM is not going to leave this guy. MH14 BK 5000 beware.

Respected Sir let us know what you will do to this guy when you find him?
(All in good sense of Humor, please dont take it personally).

Last edited by shabahmad : 19th March 2009 at 12:38.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would say justice delayed is justice not served at all. U should have done what you could have done then.

You got the number, but its no point going after someone like this now.I ll lead to a physical fight, a police complaint and what not and you have nothing in your hands to prove his mis deeds. Just let it pass.

Also next time, u want to react to something, Just do it right then and there.

And what was that about a Wagon R not catching up with an innova. A wagon R can EASILY EASILY catch up with an innova.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks