Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 16:21   #31
BHPian

Reached by Gati in as is condition.
Thanks for all for your inputs.

Now my brother has to pay road tax and get Registration done. RTO tasks are quite painful.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

good to hear vehicle reached home safe and sound. How many days it took for the delivery (home to home ?)
Old 18th May 2009, 20:01   #33
BHPian

Actaully it reached Ambarnath 4 days.
Though my brother himself picked it up from Ambarnath Gati point .
They initiially said someone will have to pick it up. So I called up toll free and said I had asked for home delivery while booking . But since it was quite near and they would have also driven it from that point to my home, my bro went and picked it up himself.

Other than that home delivery issue, it was quite smooth.
Old 17th June 2012, 09:09   #34
BHPian

Re: Transporting a two wheeler

I transferred my RX100 from Cherthala(SRTL) to Mangalore (MAQ) by train - ERNAD EXPRESS - a day train. First I took tickets for myself to travel. Even if you are travelling a passenger ticket is required to get the bike transfer. A general compartment ticket will be sufficient. Then go to the general ticket counter and give the RC Book, Insurance along with the ticket. They will give you a form to be filled up. The freight charges was Rs 635/- for which I got a receipt. Then I took my bike to the parcel booking office. They will ask for Rs 350 for packing charges (no receipt) and two gunny bags. I paid another Rs 100 as tip so that they will pack it nicely and be ready in the morning to keep the bike safely into the luggage van.
Old 29th June 2012, 13:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I transferred my RX100 from Cherthala(SRTL) to Mangalore (MAQ) by train - ERNAD EXPRESS - a day train. First I took tickets for myself to travel. Even if you are travelling a passenger ticket is required to get the bike transfer. A general compartment ticket will be sufficient. Then go to the general ticket counter and give the RC Book, Insurance along with the ticket. They will give you a form to be filled up. The freight charges was Rs 635/- for which I got a receipt. Then I took my bike to the parcel booking office. They will ask for Rs 350 for packing charges (no receipt) and two gunny bags. I paid another Rs 100 as tip so that they will pack it nicely and be ready in the morning to keep the bike safely into the luggage van.
When it reached Mangalore, I was asked to pay Rs 150/- to the unpacking guys. RPF officer asked for bribe, but he returned 50bucks when I paid him 100. So apart from paying the freight charges, be ready to pay 500-600 for packing and unpacking charges. Bribe extra!

They will ask you to empty the tank, but better to keep at least 20ml in the tank so that you can ride to the nearest petrol bunk. Remove the rear view mirrors and indicators or anything that is protruding. I spotted a small dent on the tank and the rear two indicators were spoiled.
Old 30th June 2012, 17:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I transferred my RX100 from Cherthala(SRTL) to Mangalore (MAQ) by train - ERNAD EXPRESS - a day train. First I took tickets for myself to travel. Even if you are travelling a passenger ticket is required to get the bike transfer. A general compartment ticket will be sufficient. Then go to the general ticket counter and give the RC Book, Insurance along with the ticket. ----
Arent the frieght charges just enough for the bike. Why did you have to book a ticket for the bike as well? I transferred my bike from Chennai to Bangalore and apart from the Rs. 5xx official and some Rs. 2xx as tips, I did not buy any ticket as such for the bike (as far as I can remember).

cheers
Old 10th July 2012, 19:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Arent the frieght charges just enough for the bike. Why did you have to book a ticket for the bike as well? I transferred my bike from Chennai to Bangalore and apart from the Rs. 5xx official and some Rs. 2xx as tips, I did not buy any ticket as such for the bike (as far as I can remember).

cheers
When I went to the counter for booking the parcel, they asked for a ticket. They write the PNR number on the booking slip too. If you are not travelling by the same train, you can do with a general compartment ticket, I was told
Old 10th July 2012, 22:40   #38
BHPian

As my father served in the Railways, we used the parcel service extensively.

My two cents is the people who load/unload are not railway employees and they work for money, hence its better to have a prior dialogue and follow up with them at both ends, for the stuff to reach scratchless.

Another example is of badge red shirt coolie may i say, who are not paid anything by IR.
Old 20th October 2012, 20:49   #39
BHPian

Romins,
My father is planning to ship my bullet from Trivandrum to Hyderabad in Sabari express. I have couple of questions.
Did you have to deposit your RC book with the railways? Did you pay octroi/roadtax while taking delivery at the railway station?

Since you have travelled along with the bike and since I am planning to send it as a luggage, not sure you are the right person to ask.But here I go anyway.

I am wondering what kind of documents do I need to take delivery. I would not have any document like luggage booking receipt with me other than a copy of the RC book.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th August 2013, 19:29   #40
BHPian

Dear BHPians.. I need your advice to identify the best way to transport my 2 wheeler (Honda Activa) from Ahmedabad to Bangalore. My friend got his Activa delivered using Indian Railways but had a rocky experience. To begin with, railways didn't accept a drop of fuel in the tank and hence they actually had to get the tank cleaned at local vendor and then ship it locally to station.
He didn't had any idea of when the 2 wheeler will be offloaded as there is no tracking mechanism but still the Railways expect you to pick up the vehicle as soon as its offloaded else they charge per hour rate. He spent a fortune travelling to Majestic and bribing officials before getting his 2 wheeler.
How is Gati to go with ? Is their service recommended ? what precautions should be taken and what documents needs to be provided as the vehicle needs to be transferred on my name from my mother's name.
Old 12th August 2013, 20:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
How is Gati to go with ? Is their service recommended ? .
My brother got his pulsar shipped from pune to Ludhiana. It arrived safe. They called when the bike arrived. And it was basically a hassle free experience. From what I remember most people at his work place used gati for cross country vehicle transport.
Old 13th March 2014, 11:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Transporting an RE Thunderbird?

Hello TBHPians!

Now the title would sound funny...'transporting the RE??'
Why to transport it when it is among the bikes which can take on most terrains with grace on itself?

But the problem is compounded when you throw a Ford Ikon in the equation. So here is the situation:

I am writing this on my friend's behalf. The background setting is like my friend who is currently in Kasauli, HP, is shifting to Mumbai. He has a Ford Ikon and an RE Thunderbird which need to be transported from Kasauli to Mumbai.

He is wary of the idea of transporting the car and the bike by trucks or the railways since the transporters may damage his beloveds. He was thinking to attach a motorcycle hitch carrier at the rear of his car for the RE and drive the car to Mumbai; but I advised him against this idea taking safety, road conditions, weight of the RE & altered handling of the car (due to hitch carrier), etc into considerations.

Kindly pour in suggestions so as to find the best way to transport the 2 vehicles over this distance of about 1800 kms in a safe, practical & efficient way.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 13th March 2014 at 12:12.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

With my personal experience, I would prefer transporting in train because when I had done it for my brother's bike to transport it from Bangalore-Belgaum I made sure to cover the parts like headlamp cluster, tank and seat.

Also I had to pay to the coolie who loads it into the train, so that he handles it carefully and park it properly at the right place to avoid any damages in case.

And one more thing is, he should be available at the railway station when the train arrives so that he can collect it immediately. If you delay, then there are chances of the bike getting damaged for some unavoidable reasons.

Tell him to make sure he personally takes initiative to get the bike covered completely with gunny bag and some soft cloth material on the inside, at least in some places like headlamp cluster, tank, seat and backlight where it tends to damage usually and plan it accordingly to receive it.

Hope this helps
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 12:15   #44
BHPian

Re: Transporting an RE Thunderbird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello TBHPians!

Now the title would sound funny...'transporting the RE??'
Why to transport it when it is among the bikes which can take on most terrains with grace on itself?

But the problem is compounded when you throw a Ford Ikon in the equation. So here is the situation:

I am writing this on my friend's behalf. The background setting is like my friend who is currently in Kasauli, HP, is shifting to Mumbai. He has a Ford Ikon and an RE Thunderbird which need to be transported from Kasauli to Mumbai.

He is wary of the idea of transporting the car and the bike by trucks or the railways since the transporters may damage his beloveds.
Being a RE owner myself, I would suggest the below 2 ways to transport the vehicle.

Option 1: To ride the bike. It is still possible in this case provided he has time to come back and ride the RE to Mumbai and a friend there to take care of the bike till he comes back.

Option 2: It is safe to transport using Railways if there is a direct train from point A to B. But if we need to change trains, then there might be some problems. Transporting the bike in the train you travel will be best. Just make sure that you be very early to the station, be along with the porter who packs it and tip him so that the bike is carefully packed and loaded.
Then immediately after reaching the destination, go to the cargo van and make sure it is handled carefully.

I used both the above options at different times for my RE.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 13th March 2014 at 12:16.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 12:22   #45
BHPian

I recently transferred my 2 wheeler from Ahmedabad to Bangalore and had 2 options in front of me (Train Services OR Gati)
i) Train Services : While it is definitely cheaper option but the government process, callous attitude of officials and "donations" eat up that money saved. My friend used train services and he had problems right from the onset where the petrol tank had to be cleaned without a drop of fuel before boarding the train, he was sent back once because the tank was not free from petrol. There was no tracking mechanism and an approximate time of 4 days was quoted after which he was asked to visit Majestic station to check for the status, again no contact number. According to the policy, once the parcel has been offloaded, a charge of some INR per hour was levied on it. One evening on reaching the station at 6:00 PM, he was denied handover as the clock had striked 6:00 which is their closing time and was asked to come next day.
Following day, he was asked to pay the hourly charge till that hour and "donation" before getting the vehicle

ii) Gati services : They provide door to door services but packing should be done by Customer. I got my vehicle packed and got their quote, they came picked up the vehicle and delivered in 5 working days at my door step in Bangalore. The cost turned out to be at par with what my friend paid in Train albeit much lesser mental stress and no travel in Bangalore. I recommend Gati

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks