Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 23:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Whoaa, and I was thinking that having dividers will help to curb this menace.
Any of you guys cross any railway crossing in and around Bangalore for daily commute? Traffic from both the sides will pile up at the gates. And once the train passes by and gates are opened it'll be an utter chaos all over the place to see which rat will go first. It's so disgusting to see these so called educated people doing such. If these people have little more patience to be on the queue then actually everyone can pass without much trouble. But no, this simple truth never get into some people's thick skull.

Kinda OT: I was thinking that if we do something, say, if we see someone breaking the rule (say jumping signal/driving dangerously/driving on the wrong side/blocking the traffic/wrong parking etc.), why don't we put the Car/bike's number on the forum, along with what rule he/she was breaking and at what time and where. Atleast that'll help us identify that if we ourselves are among these pain in the necks who break the rules. And hopefully some people will stop doing the wrong thing. Somehow I feel even my car's number will come up here for sure as sometime even I drive bit rashly. But at least I'll be ashamed of doing it again. Just a thought, I know it's kinda impossible.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:38   #32
BHPian

guys, just taking a lead from kaushiks post below how about reporting drivers who are also members of this forum.

I know i might end up stirring a hornets nest out here but the driving style of a particular car last night near silk board junction is the reason i am writing this. While we all have different opinions on what is considered as safe driving, the driver of that car was completely brazen in his approach and i was further shocked when i happened to see a team bhp sticker on his rear bumper.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:02   #33
BHPian

The only way to expect people to follow rules is to enfore them with iron hand. Like in the US and other countries, we need to seriouly think of linking offences with the insurance premium, suspend the driver's licenses and so on. Unless we do that, we cannot expect education alone to solve this problem.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A smooth road which was tarred in the recent past which has been ruined.

Attachment 138477
Yes. The very same road that was tarred very recently is screwed. You know what. The KPTCL is not at all happy with this "little" mess. So, it started to contribute more to this road right next to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Check out the varied class of law breakers.

Attachment 138476

This particular bus is perenially guilty of going up the wrong side of the road. Once i went to the cop on duty, and even pointed out to him that this bus came up the wrong side of the road. The cop shouted something at the driver, who retorted back in kind, and went his own sweet way. Looks like the cops have hearts which melt faster than ice creaam when it comes to dealing with these morons.

Attachment 138478

Attachment 138479

What cannot be seen in this pic is the conductor on the bus who has stood in the way of traffic thereby blocking them and allowing the bus to force its way back to the road.
This is very very common sight in that road I have previously mentioned. Actually, cops tried to discourage this by using the security guys near those buildings. But none of the vehicle was cooperating and seems it was left as it is now.

Rather than getting angry on cops for not controlling, I only pity those souls. I really dont think they can do anything in here without cooperation from public. No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not like that. I mean a complete subject. Just like moral science or workshop class, we need a driving class. In US highschools, driving classes and driving test is part of the curriculum. Members who studied highschool in USA can probably give better picture.
Agreed. Also, if some US member can put the pics of the BOOK to be gone through for taking the test in DMV will be appreciated. Man, its so much to learn to get the license in there. What do we have here? Just a pamphlet sort of paper with signs in it. Thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
the driver of that car was completely brazen in his approach and i was further shocked when i happened to see a team bhp sticker on his rear bumper.
On a lighter note - Its same as those stickers you see in cabs which says "Am i driving rash? if so, pls call xxxx"
Old 26th May 2009, 11:40   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I really dont think they can do anything
Actually they can. Problem is they dont want to as they get paid for turning a blind eye.

Why do you think that bus driver does what he did, every single day?

And how do folks use the elevated new speed breakers in Bangalore. They use them to jump over a median to avoid going round it - Where? Opposite Hero Honda showroom on IRR.

We undertook a small practise when I was working in IBM @ EGL, to stop folks from coming down the wrong side instead of going round. It worked quite well but guess what i got a mail from the HR department to stop such humiliating mails to the colleagues of the people in the wrong. Speak about the rot.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:06   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
why don't we put the Car/bike's number on the forum, along with what rule he/she was breaking and at what time and where. Atleast that'll help us identify that if we ourselves are among these pain in the necks who break the rules.
Quote:
guys, just taking a lead from kaushiks post below how about reporting drivers who are also members of this forum.
Go ahead guys, put the registration numbers up!
Old 26th May 2009, 12:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Actually they can. Problem is they dont want to as they get paid for turning a blind eye.
You should have quoted the whole sentence. Let me quote it again.

Quote:
I really don't think they can do anything in here without cooperation from public.
Jumping speed breakers - Again, we cannot expect police to be present in every speed breakers to "police" it. Come on.

They can only put on signs, markings (we are yet to be 100% in this too, but still). Don't you think its public who have to follow it?

Also, catching buses or people doing such things during peak hour is another pain. May be they should start putting cameras in each of the main places and keep sending notices to the owners regularly. It may be more than one trip in a same day. But still, send one notice of fine for every trip. Tough, but will help in short.

I appreciate your effort to streamline the traffic. We should "do" something rather than talk. Great initiative. May be we should have a "meet" in the traffic signal to help the cops.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Yep, the car brand & color too (will be easier to recognise).
Old 26th May 2009, 12:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Actuallly people lack sense, for ex in my office canteen people dint have the patience to stand in Q and wait for there chance instead try to sneak in front or form double Q.
At office parking lot we always had space constraint and people park haphazardly ultimately where we can part 10 bikes we could mange only 5-6.

These were the educated lot and this is how they were behaving at the work place, imagine how they will on the roads.

One thing which can fix all these issues, VERY strict rules!
Old 26th May 2009, 12:17   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
You should have quoted the whole sentence. Let me quote it again.
Cooperation from public is for the public to follow rules. Cops duty is to penalise the guy in the wrong. How does the public cooperate in fining the wrong doer?
Old 26th May 2009, 12:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Well most people in Bangalore earnestly believe that it is OK to drive slow as long as you are on one side of the road ( left or right does not matter), This behavior is replicated on highways as well and you can see people overtaking from left or right. Some how educated gentlemen also think that driving slow is driving safe.

The problem is compounded here because pay packages and banks here ensured that lot of people can buy cars, But their jobs don't leave any time to think /learn how to drive properly.

Perhaps a mass driving orientation is required something similar to car pooling initiative of Radio One.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
why don't we put the Car/bike's number on the forum, along with what rule he/she was breaking and at what time and where. Atleast that'll help us identify that if we ourselves are among these pain in the necks who break the rules. And hopefully some people will stop doing the wrong thing.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
After putting the details of the car and if the member comes forward and say it is his car, cooly the member will say driver was driving the car and so the mistake.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:59   #43
BHPian

Someone asked for this. Here's a link to the California Driver Handbook:

[Cars] Class 'C' : http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf

[Motorcycles] Class 'M': http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

The tests (written & road) are considered tough.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:13   #44
BHPian

Honestly, this thread is something I want to post everyday on. It is such a pathetic state of affairs in our country:

1. I stop at every redlight, at all times. I ignore those honking from behind. I am afraid someone will beat me up, but I am willing to take the chance. I always follow lane discipline and always yield to pedestrians. When I have a chance, I always move over and let vehicles overtake me from the correct side. I am guilty of being the self-appointed lane police, but I am working on it.

2. On a recent drive to Belur/Halebidu, I saw some cars driven with such little tolerance. A few micro-seconds of error and we could all be dead in our metal cages. Our people seem to think it is ok to overtake & suddenly cut in front of you even at speeds of 80+ kmph! This on two lane roads, with no shoulder space and busy oncoming traffic.

3. Less said about two wheelers, the better. It must be the atrocious head gear that passes for helmets that make these denizens behave the way they do.

4. People spitting and urinating all over the place. For God's sake. This is your motherland. It is like spitting on your mother.

5. People (even in fancy cars) casually throw their rubbish onto the road.

6. Tolerance to noise. Really loud exhaust notes and incessant honking.

I must be getting too old for this "Youngistan".
Old 26th May 2009, 14:55   #45
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for one day where I give up driving, take the metro and go to work. Atleast I can get an hour or 2 to do some reading etc. Hopefully I wont be retired by then For now I am hoping Volvo services will start covering my work route too.

I feel there is no point in talking about traffic in Bangalore. The law abiding folks are now outcasts. I have been shouted at for allowing a blind man to cross. The cribs are endless. Like other member said, the solution lies in treating us like cattle. Putting dividers is one start. Lanes will then be divided by concrete. Beating up people on the streets will be the next. I guess we as a society deserve it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks