Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How did you learn to drive and get your driving licence?
By sneaking out alone to drive our car 28 20.74%
I was taught to drive by a friend / family member 63 46.67%
I learnt to drive with a local driving school 58 42.96%
Read a driver training manual 7 5.19%
I never appeared for a driving test, but still got my driver’s licence 11 8.15%
I had appeared for a lame driving test and was passed 24 17.78%
Had to undergo a proper driving test 32 23.70%
I once failed a driving test due to poor driving 3 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 10:00   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Who taught you driving - a professional or a relative/friend?

I learnt from my uncle on his new Premier Padmini diesel. He himself learnt driving after 40 when he bought the car. Being a lawyer he made sure I got the manners right. I never park the car with wheels pointed right or left, unless on a steep incline.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 10:00   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
No option for 'family driver'?
+1 to the above. Since there was no option - selected relative/friend/family. But this was only the very initial phase of the ABC and parking only. I did eventually attend a driving school before I applied for a driving license.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:06   #453
Senior - BHPian

I learnt driving on my own. My family did not own a car so never had a chance to learn to drive on my car. I lied to my friend with cars that I know how to drive when I joined college. Luckily, I never met an accident while learning or rather practicing on someone else's expense.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:07   #454
Senior - BHPian

My dad taught me to drive in a trusty M800.

Then I polished my driving skills on the below cars on a 118NE & Esteem.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:33   #455
BHPian

This is an interesting one and brings back nostalgic memories. Can tell a story on that.

I was so fond of driving that whenever going on a vehicle i always observed very closely how people operated it and so i can say that I learnt by seeing people drive.
We mostly had scooters in 60s-70s and I would try and imitate my dads driving when sitting behind and would try to change gears in my mind with the rpm of our Lambretta scooter.
Since i was not allowed to drive, i would clean the scooter daily and even kick and start the scooter on the stand , making it ready to go for him. ( a habit still followed after 40 years, but now it is self start.)
In 1972 , i was in 6th class and my dad went to his hometown and i stayed back alone with neighbours. So lo-behold, one day, i started the scooter , took it off stand and put it in first gear and slowly released the clutch, an action i had done in my mind many many times, and it moved. Went around for two minutes in first gear and parked the scooter. Next day it i could engage second gear.
My father returned the third day and someone told him that i was driving the scooter. He questioned who taught me to drive and i told him it was by seeing him. I was told to drive in front of him and he immediately saw how observant i had been and allowed me a ride once a week within the confines of the road in front of our house. So my driving started way early but was not allowed to take it out till got a license.
Similarly my uncle first had a amby and then a FIAT and i drove in my mind 1000 times along with him and the first opportunity i got when someone asked, can you drive, i said yes and drove a four wheeler, though i remember , it took me some time for the hand and leg and eye coordination while cornering.
After that have driven everything moving, on wheels and tracks except an aircraft.

Last edited by nkghai : 4th June 2015 at 10:36.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:54   #456
Senior - BHPian

I went to a driving school, nothing else has been such a confidence booster as finding people learning with you don't have a clue about the H pattern of the gear shift . I got the license in about a month's time, however it took my dad about 3 months to train me to be safe enough for other road users, driving schools teach you to operate the machine, everything else has to be taught over time. I am yet to see a first generation driver who knows anything beyond basic pedal operation, because they went to a driving school and its mostly downhill from there.

There was a written test for the learner's license which was an additional check introduced just a year or so before I applied, the person sitting next to me said that he had been denied a license because he approached the RTO without going through a driving school. The reason I still have some faith in the RTO is because he asked me to help him with the first question in the test - Which side of the road do we drive on?Needless to say, the corruption doesn't affect everything, there are some checks that weed out the truly dangerous.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:01   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I taught me how to drive, where's the option for me to vote?
On the same boat as you and on both counts, 2 wheels and 4.

I keenly watched anyone riding/driving as to what does one do. How do they do it? I watched & gained and when I could, I put it to practice.

I succeed because I was very patient with myself and wheels [difficult to imagine for 16-17 year old] Once I got the hang of it, I did start trying wheelie or any other stupid techniques young people do.

My first scooter ride was - Bajaj Chetak [everytime I rode, 5 times out of 10, its brake wire snapped ]

First bike was - Kawasaki 4S Champion

First Car - Maruti 800 5 speed with AC. Used to sneak out when everyone was in siesta mode. Learnt to spin front wheels.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:14   #458
BHPian

Re: How and when did you learn to drive?

I went to a driving school nearby. I had approximately 12 classes with about 20 mins of driving in each trip. There was usually about 2-3 people in the car and hence each gets about 20 mins in light to medium traffic.
Even though i had no confidence in my "skills" as a driver my "teacher" was more than impressed and sent my papers to the school for the "exam".
Rest as they say i history ! Frankly i picked up my driving by observing my friends drive and some good ol brains

I think we need more options for the poll
Old 4th June 2015, 11:17   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
This is an interesting one and brings back nostalgic memories. Can tell a story on that...
Ghai Saab; to the story! Why-because if felt like I was reading my own!

Me and my big bro learnt by observing all kinds of drivers; right from our uncle's driver to bus drivers. I still recall how awesome it felt whenever the family drivers appreciated us in front of our parents and their resultant bewildered look - their sons knew how to drive!!

Although, my beginning was also on a humble 800; there's an interesting story there too. Until then, and unlike by big bro who could sneak out a drive or two on the Padmini (oblivious to our parents), I used to be an 'observant' driver only. Believe it or not, I used to mimick the hand-foot movement, with engine sounds across the rev range to practice.

The first time I took out our 6-month old 800 (1996) was to take my Mom to a hospital when she had a minor accident, right in front of our house while trying to get in our street on her moped (remember Luna!). Dad was out on duty and big bro was in another city for his engg, and the only people left were my mom's friends (housewives)!

Still recall that day vividly - took the keys, went to the garage, sat in the drivers seat and took a few deep breaths! Seatbelt on, Neutral check, mirror check, twisted the key in ignition - I started the car! Dad used to keep the car Nose-in side, so it'd to be backed out into the street from the garage. Held the steering firmly, pulled the clutch, engaged reverse and slowly started releasing while pressing the A pedal every so lightly! My only guide here was all those numerous engine sounds I used to mimick under various load/gear conditions. To this day, I am proud of the fact that I did not stall it in my very first 'actual' attempt!

Me, Mom, Mom's friend and her son then went to the hospital about 3 kms away. I still recall the only mistake I did on this first drive; was pulling the clutch long before tackling any hump or such road conditions, before changing the gear! Mom forgot about her pain looking at me driving the car! She was treated for her minor injuries and we got back home safe and sound. Evening, dad came home and was his usual pragmatic/non-expressive self when told about the days' events. I definitely got a kick from the adulation from family-friends, that followed this event!

That's my little story; sorry for the long post everyone!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:20   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93 View Post
Tell everyone about your first driving lesson. Details you might want to include:

- Car
- Location in India

P.S Mods, please delete if this has been discussed somewhere else ...
Tutor: Wife
Car: Fiat Uno

Tried learning once when I was home for vacations while in Medical college. Banged my dad's Zen into the side wall of the garage. And never tried learning again .... till on a drive one night my wife simply stopped the car on a quiet road, got out and asked me to get in behind the wheel and drive.

Simple.

I married a really brave girl!
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:21   #461
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijit.gangwar View Post
My dad started teaching me when I was about 8 or 9 years...probably in 4th Standard. I remember initially I used to look through the steering wheel. Did bang the car on various occasions.

Though I did manage to crash the car on the way back from the RTO
Clearly, a bad decision. You're lucky no pedestrian / biker got injured in the various crashes.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:24   #462
Senior - BHPian

For scooter, learnt to drive in 1990-1 and initially frequently drove into some construction material or just fell off. Minor scraping/injuries at least 3-4 times.

For car, learnt to drive in July 1995 before I bought a Maruti 800 in Sep 1995. Within 10 days of buying my first car, got a left door scratch of 3-4 feet while reversing out of my home (door scraped the gate).
Old 4th June 2015, 14:15   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I taught myself to drive theoretically. I used observe while anyone was driving. The ABC coordination, judging the road, the traffic etc. was all I observed and used to pop a couple of questions if required. Finally at the age of 15, dad took me out in his M800 Dx 4spd and thus I learnt driving in the next 5 days.
Old 4th June 2015, 14:23   #464
BHPian

Age - 15
Tutor - Dad's driver
Car - Ambassador/Maruti Van
Location in India - Erode, Tamil Nadu
Old 20th July 2015, 11:08   #465
BHPian

Upon reaching 18 years of age in 1999, my dad gave permission for me to learn driving. Enrolled myself with Durga driving school at west fort in Trivandrum. Till then all I had was theoretical lessons from my dad. He taught me the ABC of the car (the three pedals found near our feet). The first day at driving school was more exciting than my first day in college. Was given a choice of ambassador and maruti 800 and I chose the ambassador; the one that had gear lever mounted on the steering. Wanted it that way.
I must say, I was a good student - Grasped well, had the confidence, and did Exactly what was told to do by my teacher Mr Mohan (I think that's the name). One day I got a small dose of Mohan sir's scolding for riving the ambassador with my left had on the steering wheel and my right had on the window panel showing off my over confidence. I deserved that. Classes after that went well and I was one of the best student drivers then and my guru didn't have even a slight doubt in me getting my driving license on my first attempt and that was true. On my driving test day (I chose maruthi 800), got the 'H' and the drive right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks