Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 12:01   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Is it? Go to makemytrip website and see if Mysore figures anywhere in the dropdown for flights. It doesnt. Having an airport is not the same as having an airlink. My hometown Patiala also has such an airport!
Thats because most prefer travel by train or bus, since its faster.
Quote:
Not correct. Bangalore lies on NH4 and NH7. These two highways connect Bangalore to rest of the major cities of India. Mysore does not lie on either of them.
Mysore connects well to Bangalore - that should be enough. What do you want, shift all Bangalore industries to Mysore or decongest Bangalore.
Quote:
The rail link between Mysore and Bangalore is not double lined and neither electrified.
It was neglected due to Govt apathy nothing else. Its in progress.
Quote:
I was not talking about internet connectivity for personal use. Anyway, Samurai has clarified that, so this is not an issue.
I was talking about industrial Internet connectivty. There are many BPOs in Mysore and they work well.
Quote:
Every city has one or two major industries. Whats the point?
I think you must look beyond Bangalore 'well'.
Quote:
Many? Interesting. How many engineering colleges are there in Mysore?
Inside city? 4.
Quote:
At the end of the day, Mysore should not become an IT hub. If it does, ten years down the line, you will be lamenting how a city with such beautiful monuments and peace and calm has become a concrete jungle.
I don't lament for Bangalore, why will I for Mysore? You can't have the cake and eat it too.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I raised the Mysore example only because I was in Bangalore when all the IT bigwigs were threatening to not expand in Bangalore. At that time, the government did not hold its nerve and said, fine, don't. For whatever reasons, they did not have the guts to say that. And not only say this, but use executive powers to not permit any expansion.
But the larger point this is meant to illustrate is that it is for everyone to take a view that incorporates longer term civic responsibilities. For the IT community to transfer their growth to Mysore would involve some amount of dislocation no doubt, but it was doable, at least so it seemed to me. And in time the growth there would have led to infrastructure creation, in a more balanced way. And because a story on these lines is being played out everywhere, we are seeing all cities coping in the horrible manner that we are seeing. Maybe it is time to say that infrastructure creation in the existing cities is not going to happen, and only maintenance will be done. And make that a policy statement that does not get broken because of people testing it by coming up with fait accompli.
Or maybe that is not the answer. But if we do not find one, what is going to happen in India is not to be imagined.
Stopping infrastructure developement where it is needed the most is not really a solution, is it?

One solution could be to build satellite townships all around the city and provide public transport for people to commute to work and back.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Guys, this is not a Mysore thread! As I said, it was to illustrate a point. But I will say that if any industry can be move to Mysore it is the IT "industry". And nothing says that infrastructure creation to support it needs to be at the expense of what is currently good about Mysore - if you think that, then you are endorsing the black view that humans are like a virus and a disease on the planet, raping and ruining it as they spread over it! Because if that be the case, the planet and all other species would be better off if humans were to somehow become extinct.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Thats because most prefer travel by train or bus, since its faster.
Mysore connects well to Bangalore - that should be enough..
LOL. Who is in the 'well' now? What about people coming from beyond Bangalore?

Quote:
What do you want, shift all Bangalore industries to Mysore or decongest Bangalore.
Read my last post about what i want.

Quote:
It was neglected due to Govt apathy nothing else. Its in progress.
Lets talk when it completes. ok?

Quote:
I was talking about industrial Internet connectivty. There are many BPOs in Mysore and they work well.
So what are you complaining about then? Water will flow where this slope.

Quote:
I think you must look beyond Bangalore 'well'.
Uncalled for, so no comments.

Quote:
Inside city? 4.
Riiight. Must be top quality as well!!
Quote:
I don't lament for Bangalore, why will I for Mysore? You can't have the cake and eat it too.
This whole thread is a lament for Bangalore.

Quote:
Guys, this is not a Mysore thread! As I said, it was to illustrate a point. But I will say that if any industry can be move to Mysore it is the IT "industry". And nothing says that infrastructure creation to support it needs to be at the expense of what is currently good about Mysore - if you think that, then you are endorsing the black view that humans are like a virus and a disease on the planet, raping and ruining it as they spread over it! Because if that be the case, the planet and all other species would be better off if humans were to somehow become extinct.
That is nothing but a myopic viewpoint. Your faith in govt babus to create infrastructure that will not harm existing nature of the city is contradictory to the post with which you started the thread.

Last edited by amitoj : 27th August 2009 at 12:16.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Stopping infrastructure developement where it is needed the most is not really a solution, is it?

One solution could be to build satellite townships all around the city and provide public transport for people to commute to work and back.
Some of us have seen that infrastructure development that has been done in existing cities has only magnified the need for more of it in the same place. Which is the reasoning the thread opened with. That is why there is a feeling that a different approach is called for.
The satellite townships need to be places to live and work in. No need to commute the longer distances then on a daily basis, or to build the infrastructure to do that. Do we want to create more suburbs, or do the satellite townships become indendent towns is the question.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mysore has airport.
Just out of curiosity, can you tell me which Airlines use Mysore?

Amitoj - almost there mate, just another eight to go!

Last edited by suman : 27th August 2009 at 12:22.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Amitoj - almost there mate, just another eight to go!
hehe. Make that 7 But i wont be surprised if a new thread gets created in shifting gears and recent posts moved there.

Quote:
Some of us have seen that infrastructure development that has been done in existing cities has only magnified the need for more of it in the same place. Which is the reasoning the thread opened with. That is why there is a feeling that a different approach is called for.
The satellite townships need to be places to live and work in. No need to commute the longer distances then on a daily basis, or to build the infrastructure to do that. Do we want to create more suburbs, or do the satellite townships become indendent towns is the question.
Hmmmm. You are talking about preventing further congestion. I am talking about decongestion.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:22   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I can't help but somehow be reminded of the words Agent Smith tells Morpheus in the Matrix...
Thats true of any living organism. That line in that film is there only to sell that movie. Though it looks like succinct observation, its common knowledge.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:35   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, can you tell me which Airlines use Mysore?
Vayudoot had regular services. Airport is being upgraded now. It will open before Dasara this year. BTW, it will never be International airport since BIAL is within 150KM.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vayudoot had regular services.
Just in case you'd forgotten, we are presently in 2009, not in the last century

We'll have to wait & see what the so-called "upgradation" will bring - probably some more prop planes.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:48   #71
BANNED

Quote:
We'll have to wait & see what the so-called "upgradation" will bring - probably some more prop planes.
I guess this is getting stuck in chicken-egg problem. Only if there is demand there will be planes. There is no scope for demand in near future with Infosys nipping any such aspirations in the bud.

Note: I don't get this harping about airport. San Jose is the IT center and though it has International airport, most fly to SFO and then make 1 hour journey to SJC.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:59   #72
Team-BHP Support

Moving IT companies out of major cities to smaller cities/towns is possible. There are pros and cons, but they even out eventally. I know this by personal experience.

But you have to consider whether employees are willing to move out even if the management has the guts to it. Most employees would resist moving out of their well settled lives. They would have spouses working in other companies, kids in good schools/colleges, good social life, top class facilities, shopping facilities, etc. Giving up all that is a major sacrifice.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:39   #73
BANNED

Quote:
But I will say that if any industry can be move to Mysore it is the IT "industry".
Bangalore population is 6 million and IT industry in Bangalore employs around 350,000 people. Moving IT industry (ie, 5% of population + 2% dependent) won't decongest the city.

If the city needs to be decongested, then State Govt & all its offices must be moved out of Bangalore, if not Mysore to some other city.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore population is 6 million and IT industry in Bangalore employs around 350,000 people. Moving IT industry (ie, 5% of population + 2% dependent) won't decongest the city.
I am not so sure that the dependent number is that low. Because manpower intensive services are so cheap in India,there tend to be a lot more people that the IT people will end up indirectly employing. Which is good for the redistribution of wealth, for sure, but it does lead to pressure on the infrastructure. Or that comparing it to the population of people is the correct comparison - maybe the way to compare is on the car population basis.
Leaving that apart, why else has Bangalore grown this way? As far as I know, the manufacturing presence hasn't, so what else is the reason? Tourism can't account for it either.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess this is getting stuck in chicken-egg problem. Only if there is demand there will be planes. There is no scope for demand in near future with Infosys nipping any such aspirations in the bud.

Note: I don't get this harping about airport. San Jose is the IT center and though it has International airport, most fly to SFO and then make 1 hour journey to SJC.
San Jose and Mysore comparison!! Oh

And I dont get this single point agenda about Mysore. Mysore has a different purpose to serve. Why can't other smaller towns around Bangalore be considered? Like Kolar for example?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks