Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:38   #91
BHPian

Re: Auto Rickshaw Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I think the only way we can stop this menace is this.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=n4ieYerCz7g
These are just some cheap thrills buddy. Not gonna solve anything for anyone. We need strict law enforcement and hefty fines for these guys.

A reliable network of buses and metro trains will also help a lot in reducing the demand for them. Just a shift is needed in the supply demand equation and these guys will then think twice before rejecting fines.
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:15   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
These are just some cheap thrills buddy. Not gonna solve anything for anyone. We need strict law enforcement and hefty fines for these guys.

A reliable network of buses and metro trains will also help a lot in reducing the demand for them. Just a shift is needed in the supply demand equation and these guys will then think twice before rejecting fines.
You couldn't have possibly thought that I was serious , let's not make everything pensive all the time. Though I agree that this menace could be curbed with stringent laws. The auto union here in Bangalore has a mind of their own.
Old 4th July 2014, 11:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
You couldn't have possibly thought that I was serious , let's not make everything pensive all the time. Though I agree that this menace could be curbed with stringent laws. The auto union here in Bangalore has a mind of their own.
Sorry buddy, no intent to offend your post. Peace.
Old 4th July 2014, 12:38   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
...Congrats swiftandfurious, for becoming a D-Bhpian.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
...It might not be a hefty sum. But if the drivers themselves are the owners of the auto (as sometimes the case is), it will be a loss for them.

It will make them think before they commit another such crime and (hopefully) bring them to heel.
Imagine a 10K instead of 3K. That would pinch them even more and they will be really thinking twice next time.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 18:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Ever since the state govt allowed the minimum fare for Rickshaws to be raised from Rs 15 to 17, it seems that meter calculates after the initial 1.5 km, Rs 2 for every 100 mtrs as against earlier Re 1.Is it correct?. Today took a rick from home to Thane rly station, the meter was galloping faster than a derby horse. I was overcharged by Rs 20/- IMHO. After the recent directive by the RTO to get the meters calibrated in a short span of time, I guess these ricky guys are finding an alternate solution to the calibration. And to make things worse there are still rickshaws who operate on Rs 15 as minimum fare. Whom to believe is a question. Any answers.
Old 30th August 2014, 01:41   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Ever since the state govt allowed the minimum fare for Rickshaws to be raised from Rs 15 to 17, it seems that meter calculates after the initial 1.5 km, Rs 2 for every 100 mtrs as against earlier Re 1.Is it correct?. Today took a rick from home to Thane rly station, the meter was galloping faster than a derby horse. I was overcharged by Rs 20/- IMHO. After the recent directive by the RTO to get the meters calibrated in a short span of time, I guess these ricky guys are finding an alternate solution to the calibration. And to make things worse there are still rickshaws who operate on Rs 15 as minimum fare. Whom to believe is a question. Any answers.
The meters are calibrated according to the registration numbers of the rickshaw ie the meters of rickshaws with registration numbers ending with 0 are calibrated first and so on.The ones with calibrated meters charge new fares the others will charge old fares until their meters are calibrated.

And yes the difference in old and new fares keep on increasing as you travel more.I pay 4 rupees more over old fare for a distance of 2 kms.
abhi7992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 13:25   #97
BHPian

A few days back at 6.30 AM, auto rickshaw walaahs wanted Rs.150, Rs.180 and the like to ferry two people from Secunderabad Stn to Tarnaka. That's more than Rs.50-60 per km. We were so pissed we decided to take the bus, but due to nature calls (as usual in the morning), we walked to the other side of the station (Bhoiguda), and picked up a prepaid auto (that you pay for later!) for Rs.70 and went home.

Rs.70 is still way too much for the distance and the time of the day with no traffic.
Old 30th August 2014, 13:53   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Ranchi is no cheaper for a reserved auto. The railway station is about 3-4 kms from my place and we pay 140-150 bucks for a one way trip. I feel robbed everytime when I have to travel in an auto.
Old 30th August 2014, 14:32   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
we walked to the other side of the station (Bhoiguda), and picked up a prepaid auto (that you pay for later!) for Rs.70 and went home.

Rs.70 is still way too much for the distance and the time of the day with no traffic.
Prepaid is no guarantee of a reasonable fare.

Some months ago, before the general election my father and I had gone on a small holiday to Kashi. We alighted at Varanasi Jn at about 1800 and were subject to constant offers from the autodrivers at the platform itself. Sensing that my father was someone who would not take any non-'officially' regulated fare, one of them volunteered that he could become a 'pre-paid' if that made us happy (in fact he seemed to be the one more happy at that). At the pre-paid counter outside the station (usual tiny tin booth) we saw a bunch of auto drivers who were 'manning' it. Our driver pointed to the official fare chart which specified the fare for Bhelupur (our destination) as Rs 100 (+Rs 5 for the service). The distance is just a touch more than 4km so @Rs25 per km this was one of the most expensive prepaid autos ever.

On our return the first auto we caught on the road started his fare bargaining with Rs 80 -- and agreed at Rs 60. So much for prepaid services!
Old 5th January 2015, 07:24   #100
BHPian

Anyone ready for a rikshaw ride "ONLY" for Rs. 6756?

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45755130.cms

Quote:
JAIPUR: The government is going out on a limb with ad campaigns like "atithi devo bhava (guest is like god)" to woo tourists. However, in one of the biggest tourist destinations in the country, there are websites fleecing tourists, with many first-timers in the Pink City falling for their guiles: for instance, a rickshaw ride for Rs 6,756!

Worse, these websites have their home pages on the Jaipur Literature Festival website, giving them some sort of official veneer. Thus, a tour operator has offered a cycle rickshaw ride for Rs 6,756 while the lit fest is on. The distance covered by the rickshaw, from Albert Hall to Hawa Mahal three km away, does not cost more than Rs 30.

However, sharp-practicing operators chalk out an elaborate three-hour itinerary on the rickshaw that sets back the gullible and the uninformed by thousands of rupees. And it's not that the rickshaw-puller gains from this: he gets the usual pittance of Rs 30!

"A panorama of possibilities when visiting Rajasthan during the ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival," declares the page by GeTs Holidays, and suggests several tours and itineraries. It then goes on to make the staggering offer: price per person for eight adults at Rs 2,504; for two adults, Rs 3,685 per person; and a single adult at Rs 6,756.

Similarly, a balloon ride in Jaipur is going for Rs 20,837 which is 30% more expensive than the usual price. A leading tour planner told TOI, "The festival is getting increasingly commercial. The rates offered are exorbitant. Obviously, when these rates are offered on the literature festival's home page, these must have the approval of the organizers."

Among several suggested tours by the company, four products are on elephants in Amber. For an elephant ride at Nahargarh Biological Park the rate is Rs 1,500-2,000. However, foreign tourists are being offered the same at Rs 5,247.

Similarly, for a tour package, 'Getting friends With the Elephant: Elefantastic,' the discounted rate on the website is Rs 8,363 per person, which is ludicrously high. The tour offers to drive tourists to "Elefantastic village which is a 40-minute drive from the city". The state government calls it 'Haathi Gaon.

"I don't have any tie-up with anyone. Nor have I agreed on any tour with travel partners of the Jaipur Litfest. I have stopped the elephant experience at Haathi Gaon and I am not sure when I would restart," said Anil Chaudhary who started the Elefantastic tours at Amber.

The city turns into a sort of kumbh mela of writers, hacks and other such pilgrims from the world over and the lure of easy money is making dubious operators think up equally dubious ways of raking it in.
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:16   #101
BHPian

Dr. Christine Fair, an eminent scholar on South Asian geo-politics was in India recently. She wanted to visit Charminar while she visited Hyderabad. As usual, auto driver refused to go as per meter. Here is her super response in full Gandhigiri mode. Please share.

ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:29   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos..... Like her spunk in shaming the auto guy to do her bidding.
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:38   #103
Team-BHP Support

Good Lord:

Suits the idiot just fine for messing about with what he assumed was 'easy prey' to overcharge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks