Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad traffic police-money making racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavithareddy.kk View Post
I am getting repeated challans from Trimulghery traffic Ps,Hyderabad. Reason is cited as jumping signal. I never ever jump the signal. I got three challans with the same cam number. Looks like the camera is just shooting even the cars at the end of the tail. I cross the point when green and get stuck in the line. Cos am at the tail it means am jumping signal ?? God !! its 600 /- in all. Why must i pay this ?? And how can i resolve this situation ? anybody facing the same issue ?
I too got a few challans ( each Rs.100) for jumping a traffic signal and location is always same place ( Madhapur PS Signal). I stopped taking that route for more than a year now so I know its incorrect challan.

The challan however has the license plate picture captured but, its same picture for all challans and is a close-up so there is no way of telling where i am located

My Action : I just ignore these challans and dont act on it. Let them either proactively seek payments or clear them when your actually selling the car ( from previous car selling experience, all challans never were registered in their system, so transfer to new owner happened without having to pay any challans for my previous car wherein i received similar fake challans and i chose to ignore them as well)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:46   #17
BHPian

I am facing the same issue with Madhapur PS / signal which are very near.

The signal while coming from Jubliee hills goes green initially. Within 10 -15 seconds it goes green the first time. Next time when it goes green it stays for a minute or more I think.

I've paid the challan a third time or fourth time from the same signal. I don't want to pay, but my mom would keep on insisting and calling me to find out if I have paid.

I felt that those who pay online are easy meal for them. Every 12 months, they can generate randomly and even if 50% of us pay, it's good money for them.

On the same topic, there is a news article in today's paper (not sure which one) which says traffic cops are making those who jump signal on free left to take complete U turn. Couldn't understand the whole thing on jumping on free left as it's considered the usual norm all over our country.

Last edited by BheemBoy : 2nd May 2012 at 17:48. Reason: spelling correction
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavithareddy.kk
I am getting repeated challans from Trimulghery traffic Ps,Hyderabad. Reason is cited as jumping signal. I never ever jump the signal. I got three challans with the same cam number. Looks like the camera is just shooting even the cars at the end of the tail. I cross the point when green and get stuck in the line. Cos am at the tail it means am jumping signal ?? God !! its 600 /- in all. Why must i pay this ?? And how can i resolve this situation ? anybody facing the same issue ?
Well the options you have are either to pay it up which is an expensive option,or else go to the Traffic HQ at Basheerbagh and there is a separate department that deals with all these challan issue(wrong challan,add,camera malfunction etc)if you are able to convince them its not a fault of youra the challan can be cancelled.I wouldnt advise not paying the challans as in case you are stopped enroute and the hand held device throws up your number as a repeat offender having not paid then its a big headache as they can/may impound your license/vehicle till such time you pay up.Its quite a big headache.If you are really keen and are sure its a fault with the cam,then I suggest you go to basheerbagh.They are a sympathetic lot and may sort out your problem.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:45   #19
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Well the options you have are either to pay it up which is an expensive option,or else go to the Traffic HQ at Basheerbagh and there is a separate department that deals with all these challan issue(wrong challan,add,camera malfunction etc)if you are able to convince them its not a fault of youra the challan can be cancelled.I wouldnt advise not paying the challans as in case you are stopped enroute and the hand held device throws up your number as a repeat offender having not paid then its a big headache as they can/may impound your license/vehicle till such time you pay up.Its quite a big headache.If you are really keen and are sure its a fault with the cam,then I suggest you go to basheerbagh.They are a sympathetic lot and may sort out your problem.
Even if you go to Basheerbagh or wherever, you still would have to bribe them to get it sorted out. Such is the state of affairs in this country.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Even if you go to Basheerbagh or wherever, you still would have to bribe them to get it sorted out. Such is the state of affairs in this country.
You would know never know unless you try,you might be surprised at times either ways.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:13   #21
BANNED

The fuzz are given quotas for challans, and this is how they meet their quota. Very common in Kolkata also, I am told.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I too got a few challans ( each Rs.100) for jumping a traffic signal and location is always same place ( Madhapur PS Signal). I stopped taking that route for more than a year now so I know its incorrect challan.

The challan however has the license plate picture captured but, its same picture for all challans and is a close-up so there is no way of telling where i am located

My Action : I just ignore these challans and dont act on it. Let them either proactively seek payments or clear them when your actually selling the car ( from previous car selling experience, all challans never were registered in their system, so transfer to new owner happened without having to pay any challans for my previous car wherein i received similar fake challans and i chose to ignore them as well)
My challans got no captured image.It just has cam no. ,location and reason ! well i am toying with the idea of juggling numbers on my rear number plate . beat a cheat by a cheat or perhaps remove a number. i can always feign innocence
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavithareddy.kk View Post
My challans got no captured image.It just has cam no. ,location and reason ! well i am toying with the idea of juggling numbers on my rear number plate . beat a cheat by a cheat or perhaps remove a number. i can always feign innocence
If there is no picture. Just ignore the challan and let them reach out to you for clearance of those challans which will NEVER happen

I am not propaganding a wrong solution but, over the last few years got a bunch ( maybe 4-5 in total) of challans for two cars and one 2-wheeler and all of them for jumping red signals which i never do

Havent paid a single challan till date and even sold one of my car ( Accent Viva) which had 2 challans on it without any hassle at RTA as it never showed up in their system.
Old 8th May 2012, 18:14   #24
t18
BHPian

Recently I came visiting from Mumbai to Hyderabad. This incident happened at traffic junction before Begumpet rail over bridge while coming from old airport side. The traffic light turned orange and I promptly stopped rather than speeding to avoid the red light. For all my road etiquette, this old traffic constable comes and stands in front of my car and starts jotting my mumbai registered vehicle no. on his palms. I'm confused as me and my co-passenger was both wearing seat belts and I did not even jump the orange light. Then he asks me to pull over creating a minor jam. And when I reasoned with him, he says that I jumped the red signal. When he came close to me he was reeking of alcohol. The other constables there were not interested in the commotion. Then my aunt started reasoning him in telugu(local language), that is when he relented and admitted that I was at no fault and let me go. As there were family members in the car I just drove away.
Old 4th September 2014, 05:24   #25
BHPian

The newly formed Telangana State goverment is leaving no stone unturned to improve the image of the Hyderabad City Police.

Many decisions have been taken till date like: 1650 Innovas with GPS, 4G Internet, Laptop, wireless set, fire fighting system being procured for the city police including the Traffic Department.

And the latest addition: Hidden cameras to be installed in the traffic constable's uniform, following Singapore's model. This is to curb corruption in the Traffic department.
Old 17th September 2014, 03:55   #26
BHPian

It's official: Hyderabad Traffic police to wear body cameras

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/42588204.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: City traffic cops could soon go the Singapore way and sport body cameras while on duty as part of the government's elaborate plans to usher in new-age policing in Hyderabad. Impressed with modern policing methods adopted in Singapore during his August visit there, chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao made several suggestions for the police force, and body cameras for cops was one gadget that caught the fancy of director general of police (DGP) Anurag Sharma.

Following the CM's suggestions, Hyderabad police studied policing practices in Singapore and decided to implement the body wear camera practice immediately, which essentially means cops sitting in a central control room would monitor the conversation between a traffic cop and a denizen.

Ten days ago, the city police began a pilot project with Chandrasekhar Reddy , a sub inspector of Saifabad traffic police station, who was given a camera to check its efficacy while discharging traffic duties. "Since I began using the camera, most traffic violators stopped dropping names of influential persons. Almost all the offenders immediately paid the fine whenever I explained about the camera and that the entire conversation was being recorded," Reddy told TOI.

"Even during Ganesh immersion procession near Ambedkar statue, I was able to regulate traffic with just three constables as all truck drivers left the area after immersion and obeyed the orders when told that the vehicle registration number has been recorded in the camera," the SI said.

Bouyed with similar success stories elsewhere, the police department is keen to implement the Rs one crore project and give body cameras to all field staff.

"By wearing a camera, the on-duty performance of a police officer can be monitored and the footage can also work as evidence. Our aim is to expand the body camera project to the entire field-level police personnel soon," said DGP Anurag Sharma.

The high resolution audio-visuals recorded in the camera are stored in a memory card and can be seen live from the police control room through 4G technology.

Each body camera, costing Rs 1.5 lakh, would be effective even during night, Sharma said. The city police are initially planning to purchase about 100 cameras after the pilot study is over.

According to Hyderabad police commissioner M Mahender Reddy, the usage of body cameras will bring in transparency and accountability in policing and also provide crucial evidence in case of any complaint from either the police or the citizens.

"After the body wear cameras, we are also planning to install cameras in all the patrolling vehicles and all of them will be connected to the main CCTV surveillance monitoring facility at the control room," Mahender Reddy added.
Old 20th September 2014, 04:20   #27
BHPian

GPRS-enabled PDAs to help Traffic cops to curb offenders

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/42840335.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: Traffic offenders' escape routes will close soon as police are planning to crack the whip on motorists involved in serious offences with the help of latest technology.

Once the Cyberabad police launch GPRS-enabled PDAs next month, licence details of traffic offenders will be updated on real-time basis in their database, which will enable police to catch repeat offenders and get their licences suspended.

As of now, except in drunken driving cases, whenever a traffic rule violator is caught in cases like wrong-side driving, over-speeding and jumping signal, traffic police only collect details of the offender's vehicle and issue a challan.

For e-Challan issued based on traffic surveillance camera footage or photographs clicked by traffic police personnel or over-speeding recorded by speed gun interceptor vehicles, details of drivers' licence are not demanded, but most offenders pay challan online or at Mee Seva centres without providing these details.

"In the existing system, especially in the e-Challan system, getting the offender's licence details not possible. We are planning to address this issue," Hyderabad traffic DCP Shyam Sundar said. Police have realized the folly of booking the vehicle instead of its driver. As a result, repeat offenders data is not available to initiate punitive action.

Police are impressed by the practice adopted by the Delhi traffic cops who collect the details of drivers for any traffic offence and their licences are cancelled for a year through RTA. "Licences of 700 drivers, who were involved in drunken driving, rash driving and over-speeding, have been suspended by RTA based on our recommendations," Muktesh Chandar, special commissioner of police (traffic), Delhi, told TOI.

On similar lines, the Cyberabad police are also planning to write to the RTA recommending suspension of licences of drivers involved in serious offences. "In October first week, we will provide 50 GPRS-enabled PDAs to our staff. Using these modern PDAs, police personnel will record details of offender's licence. The data will be updated on real-time basis in the server located at the Hyderabad police control room. The e-challan data of both city commissionerates is already linked and once the data from PDAs is also linked, at least a chunk of repeat offenders using city roads can be identified based on their driving licence details. The data will be linked to RTA and we will recommend suspension of licences of repeat offenders involved in severe offences like drunken driving, racing, over-speeding and rash driving," Cyberabad Deputy Commissioner of Police Avinash Mohanty said.

As of now, traffic police of both commissionerates were recording licence details of drunken driving offenders.

Courts were granting offenders punishment up to 14 days in drunken driving cases, but sadly their licences were not being suspended because traffic police database has no real-time linkage with RTA data. So, RTA is only suspending licences of drivers involved in fatal road accidents for six months as an MVI personally collects data in such cases.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:23   #28
BHPian

Here is some more information regarding the wearable cameras

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/43021681.cms

Quote:
Traffic cops to be equipped with lapel-cameras to beam live footage and weed out corruption.

You don't know merabaap kaun hai', 'Boss ka urgent call tha', 'I was getting late for work' -many such excuses are a common thing when traffic cops stop people for violations like jumping signals, driving on the wrong-side, talking on phone and more. But all this may become a thing of the past once the traffic cops start recording the action with a camera, strung on their lapel, which is connected to the control room.

As part of new-age policing in Hyderabad, traffic cops in major centres will get these special cameras, and all the conversation and visuals between a traffic cop and general public will be monitored from the control room.

Who should be worried?

If you are one of those who refrain from paying challans, misbehave with cops, create a ruckus by throwing your weight around, or try to find your way out by bribing the cop, it's time you change your ways. Sumit Krishna, an IT professional, who drives from Secunderabad to HiTech city for work, says, "With cops having cameras on them and recording everything, I guess it would put pressure on people to follow traffic rules, because once you are caught, neither the cop, nor the offender, will be able to cover up the issue. Challan toh bharna hi padega." Another regular on the road, 34-year-old Suhani Gupta, says, "People don't take traffic rules seriously because they know they can just pay Rs 100 and get away with it. But now, it won't be possible, so it will come as a respite to at least those who drive like responsible citizens."

How does it work?

A few days back, the traffic police initiated a pilot project to test the camera's functionality and efficiency.Chandrasekhar Reddy, a sub-inspector with Saifabad traffic police station, was given the camera for 20 days.Explaining, how it works, Chandrasekhar says, "For as long as I am on the field, I had to keep the camera on.The first change I witnessed was that people, who generally misbehave or throw their weight around, claiming to be some big shot's family member, stopped doing so. In fact, the other day, when I stopped a young man for driving in a no-entry zone, he saw the camera and started apologising and talking very nicely."

Talking about the specifications of the camera, Chandrasekhar says, "It has a charge time of six hours and the battery lasts for more than eight hours; and I was given two batteries. So, it is enough for the whole day. All the footage gets stored in internal memory which is either 32GB or 64GB."

The high-resolution audiovisuals recorded on the camera are transmitted live to the police control room through 4G technology. But there are many locations where Internet coverage may drop off, what happens then? "Even if the footage isn't seen live, it still gets stored and can be viewed later," he says.

Great tool to cut corruption

Costing Rs 1.5 lakh for each body camera, the city police are planning to purchase around 100 initially. Jitender, ACP Traffic, says "So far, only one person has used it. We will do some more rounds of testing after which these cameras will be given to sub-inspectors, who are deployed at ma jor intersections in the city.Special training will also be given to each cop to handle the cameras."

Cops also feel that it would be a great tool to curb corruption. Police commissioner M Mahender Reddy , says, "Use of these cameras will bring in transparency and accountability. Also, when any complaints are filed, the footage will work as crucial evidence." Citizens too feel that the chances of a policeman asking for a bribe will be nil."There are so many times when the cops ask for money to let traffic violators go. So, if they know someone is watching them, or it is being recorded, there will immense pressure on them to do their duty properly," says Dinesh Pal, a 52-year-old government servant.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 20:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
It's official: Hyderabad Traffic police to wear body cameras
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
GPRS-enabled PDAs to help Traffic cops to curb offenders
And now it is time to acquire Android based Tabs.

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44189173.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: Come December, the Hyderabad police will be using Android-based tablets to gather foolproof evidence to nail habitual traffic offenders and drunk drivers.

As of now, the traffic police are manually uploading the vehicle details along with photograph of the offenders in their office computers and, on top of it, in majority of cases, the details pertaining to driving licence are not being recorded. Similarly, challans generated through speed guns and traffic surveillance cameras cannot record the driver's licence details. Due to these shortcomings, the habitual offenders' identification had not been efficient.

"As of now, we are collecting licence details of offenders in drunken driving cases manually at the time of filing a chargesheet in court. It is not updated in computers making identification of repeat offenders a difficult task. To solve this problem, we have decided to arm our staff with android tabs contain ing a specially-designed app which will have a mandatory field to record licence details of the offender," Hyderabad additional commissioner of police (traffic) Jitender said.

Police are planning to procure 125 tabs, which would be given to 38 traffic inspectors, 25 officers who perform duties on mobile cranes and the rest to sub-inspectors and other staff involved in the enforcement work. All tabs would be connected to the central server at the traffic control room with high speed internet connection.

Once the tabs are made available, the traffic cops performing enforcement work would click the photograph and also record the video of the offence. The video and photo along with details like vehicle registration, driver's licence, time and location of the offence will be updated real-time on traffic police server, which would be linked to the regional transport authority (RTA) database.

As the draft Road Transport & Safety Bill proposes hefty fines ranging up to Rs 25,000 for drunken driving offences, police anticipate more resistance from people unless they bring in more transparency in their enforcement process.

"As all offences are videographed, we expect that it will positively affect the behavior of both cops and the drivers. Similarly, the idea is to reduce payment of fine in cash mode. As of now, offenders caught driving under the influence of alcohol are paying fine only at court, while other offenders can pay penalty by swiping credit or debit card on PDAs available with the official on the road or at a nearby MeeSeva centre. The video and photo will also work as solid evidence in case someone wishes to challenge the charges," Jitender added.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 12:52   #30
BHPian

Amidst all the issues that we have with the Traffic police in Hyderabad, the following is something I felt I should share with you all.
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks