Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 20:18   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Just curious... For whom was the big, VIP funeral procession, crossing Adyar Bridge around 3.00pm?
Old 19th July 2013, 20:30   #1832
BHPian

It might be of the lyricist Valee
Old 20th July 2013, 00:09   #1833
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, I did wonder if it might be him
Old 30th July 2013, 17:52   #1834
BHPian

Noticing traffic cops in GST road last few days between thillai ganga nagar subway juntion and asarkhana around noon. Just before the metro work area if you are travelling towards Kathipara from Airport side. Saw them pulling a white swift yesterday. May be due to sun films. Have mostly seen cops standing on the left side of the road. But here they stand on both sides(left side and also near the center median), clearly targetting cars and bigger vehicles.
pisthpeeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 20:28   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish they would target the call taxis that swarm like mosquitoes and make that stretch so dangerous.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:39   #1836
Senior - BHPian

I saw them stopping a Scorpio with politico flag. The guy was stopping reluctantly.
Old 30th July 2013, 21:14   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Travelled today on OMR from Thoraipakkam to beyond Sholinganallur & back and the experience was so much better compared what it used to be before the recent traffic changes.
The road looked empty, crossing the Sholinganallur junction was a breeze and done in couple minutes (compared to 30+ mins earlier).

Kudos CCTP for a great job in fixing the congestion on this road/junction !!!

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th July 2013 at 21:16.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 22:14   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Travelled today on OMR from Thoraipakkam to beyond Sholinganallur & back and the experience was so much better compared what it used to be before the recent traffic changes.
The road looked empty, crossing the Sholinganallur junction was a breeze and done in couple minutes (compared to 30+ mins earlier).

Kudos CCTP for a great job in fixing the congestion on this road/junction !!!
And i have been wondering the last few days how i was getting 'lucky' with the green signal! This post prompted me to google the traffic changes. Very effective arrangement although the accenture signal has begun piling up in the evenings now with the u-turn crowd.
Old 30th July 2013, 22:27   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Spent a few days in Chennai and Pondicherry couple weeks a go.

I must say the traffic in Pondy is the most chaotic and haywire type that I have ever experienced. There were hardly any signals or cops and I had several narrow misses. People swerve around whenever wherever and you have to be constantly on guard . I turned off the music in my car and was concentrating 110% just so as to not get rammed.

It was a huge relief to get back to Chennai where things we so much more orderly.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 22:29   #1840
Senior - BHPian

I have to say laying of roads in the gst stretch from Guindy to saidapet has cut down commuting time by atleast 15 minutes easilly.

Only problem is the bad stretch below the MRTS construction near saidapet. The roads have be relaid before and after this section but completely ignore inbetween and the only reason for traffic congestion here is Bad roads.

Wish they just do their job and relay the roads.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:12   #1841
BHPian

Its sun film removal spree all over the city. Saw cops doing the same in three spots today -
1. On Tbm Velachery road near Vengaivasal junction
2. Just after Kaiveli signal(before the velachery bridge).
3. GST road before Asarkhana(mentioned in my previous post above)

I was stopped at the first spot mentioned above. Mine being a red car with dark seats, its a default choice for cops. But after closer look cops normally let me go. Happened once before. Today the cop after pulling me over, asked me 'Sun film potrikugeengala?' (Do you have sun films installed?). I said No and left the place.

I have 3M sun films installed. CR70 for the front and dont remember the exact ratings for the sides and rear. While installing them an year back i was told by 3M guys that its as per RTO guidelines (Some 50, 70 transperency). I understand that its Supreme court ruling to ban sun films , but do Chennai cops remove all types of sun films or they have some threshold - dark,darker,darkest? Also curiuos about what they do for tinted glasses?
pisthpeeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 17:24   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Its sun film removal spree all over the city.
Uh oh... I am coming to Chennai on Saturday. I too have the 3M stuff (50, 70 etc.) but as per the SC ruling - the way I understand it - any kind of aftermarket film is banned. The only type allowed are factory-installed and the type on VIP vehicles.

I hope they don't prowl on OMR & ECR.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:45   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Its sun film removal spree all over the city. ...
It was in the newspapers too...this is going on in many places all over the city. They do a visual inspection of the film...if they feel it is too dark, the car is stopped, the driver fined and they start removing the film. Some cases, they have other guys to do the job; in some cases, the policemen themselves remove it.

In this current drive, the offending film is mandatorily removed.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 1st August 2013 at 17:50.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 21:22   #1844
Senior - BHPian

The city police on Tuesday resumed its crackdown on vehicles sporting sun-control films, after which some passengers and motorists staged a road roko on the Pallavaram Radial Road for about 30 minutes.

Buses ferrying techies and other staff home from several companies in the IT corridor were intercepted on Pallavaram-Thuraipakkam Radial Road and Velachery Main Road intersection from 6 pm onwards, bringing traffic to a virtual standstill on the busy stretch. More than 100 private buses were caught for violation.

Techies irritated by the traffic jam, meanwhile, blocked the road after 6.30 pm arguing that police could have conducted their inspection in the morning so as to make their companies aware of the crackdown.

An employee of FL Smidth, told Express that though she welcomed the regulation she was not happy with the time. “We have already worked for about 10-13 hours and were now made to wait midway,” she said. “Many employees living in the neighbourhood took alternative means to reach home. But people like me who stay in faraway places like Korattur will have to depend on this bus service,” said a techie working with E-bay.

Travel operators too were upset, arguing they had been fined in the morning as well. Neither the MTC buses nor private vehicles could go past the intersection, causing severe hardship to people.

After more than half an hour, police released all the buses and it took about two hours for the traffic to return to normalcy. “Not all windows were covered with sun-control films, but some were tinted. The techies insisted that we go for dark windows to beat the heat. But now the those glasses need to be changed and it will cost around Rs 30,000 per vehicle to change the windows,” an operator bemoaned.

Cops pointed out that enough time had been given to them to fall in line with the regulation, which was enforced after the Supreme Court’s diktat.
As per the permissible levels of tint, a windshield should be 70 per cent transparent, while windows should be 50 per cent transparent.

- The New Indian Express

Last edited by Gansan : 1st August 2013 at 21:24.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:24   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
The roads have be relaid before and after this section but completely ignore inbetween and the only reason for traffic congestion here is Bad roads.
Yes, a major part of the congestion / slow-moving traffic is due to bad roads, which make motorists slow down for the potholes or make them move back&forth across lanes, resulting in slowing down those behind them. Same with road-edges that don't have water-drainage system in place, forcing motorists to crowd at the centre lanes. The road from OTA towards Guindy flyover was also in a similar state till some days ago, leading to jammed traffic. But now that they have relaid the road, traffic flows so smoothly on that stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks