Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 13:13   #3331
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Is't there any method to report these to any authorities or to the high court? Any online sites where to post photos and complain?
Right in front of the ECR Neelangari police station there is always a stream of two wheelers and autos that go in the wrong direction. Do they do anything about it?
They will take the rule book out when there is an accident or when they have a target to achieve. Otherwise they do not care.

Last edited by arulpeem : 4th December 2020 at 13:13. Reason: Missing detail
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:35   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps if people take a photo and post on some police FB site it may have some effect.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:35   #3333
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would they take any notice of a photo of wrong-side driving, especially by 2-wheelers. It's "normal." Nothing for them to do.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:22   #3334
BHPian

I travelled (by car) from Padi to Pallavaram via GST road on the evening of 23rd Jan.
The sheer number of idiotic maneuvers (bordering on suicidal) made by bikers during that 1 hour journey made me sick .
Never mind patience, they seem to lack even basic self-preservation instincts that even animals have!
I also witnessed similar dangerous stunts by bikers on the Chennai-Bangalore highway up to Sriperumbudur on 24th Jan afternoon (e.g. driving in the narrow gap between a car and loaded truck at 75-80kmph).

To Chennai TBHPians: I never thought I would say this. Chennai's crazy bikers will leave Bangalore's crazy ones in the dust
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 13:49   #3335
Team-BHP Support

The ORR (outer ring road) from Vandalur till Minjur is finally open. The barricades which were in place at some sections have been removed and the tolls aren’t operational yet. I’ve taken the one from Minjur till Poonamallee exit last weekend. It was a breeze and saves considerable time compared to taking the usual route through Madhavaram.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:29   #3336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The ORR (outer ring road) from Vandalur till Minjur is finally open. The barricades which were in place at some sections have been removed and the tolls aren’t operational yet. I’ve taken the one from Minjur till Poonamallee exit last weekend. It was a breeze and saves considerable time compared to taking the usual route through Madhavaram.
Have they begun collecting tolls there yet? I've driven through the ORR before and I remember seeing the spots where toll booths will be operational at some point in the future.
Old 9th February 2021, 16:34   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
To Chennai TBHPians: I never thought I would say this. Chennai's crazy bikers will leave Bangalore's crazy ones in the dust
Surprised it's worse than Bangalore but kind of expected. With no rear view mirrors, two wheelers are a pain in the neck.
Unfortunately, nobody understands the danger of getting into an accident in a two wheeler. Very few people realise it's absolutely fatal or life changing.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 17:36   #3338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Have they begun collecting tolls there yet? I've driven through the ORR before and I remember seeing the spots where toll booths will be operational at some point in the future.
Nope toll booths aren’t operational but I’m afraid it will be soon. I saw computers all set up inside the booths. There are several booths through this stretch. We passed through 3 of them between Minjur and Poonamallee.

I’m sure this stretch will attract a lot of sports cars and bikes too just like the ECR. Beautiful 6-laned stretch throughout.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:15   #3339
BHPian

Last week I drove from Pondicherry to my home in Egmore.

As is the norm I always check Google Maps for the quickest route before starting. Though ECR is an easy option Google Maps suggested I take the GST via Tindivanam. I was a bit apprehensive as I was starting at 330pm from Pondy and I would enter Chennai in peak hours. Tambaram/Chromepet/Pallavaram and onto Guindy gets really busy during the rush hour. Still followed Google Maps as it suggested this route is faster than ECR.There was traffic from Gudvancherry onwards and after Vandalur just before Tambaram Google Maps directed me to take the Chennai by pass road. This was interesting as I was thinking of driving through Airport. It turned out to be a good routing as I reached home on schedule at 640pm via Koyambedu.
sameer sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:31   #3340
BHPian

Bunch of flyovers have opened in the last few weeks ,at Ichangadu, Medavakkam (both partially) and at retteri junction. Ichangadu has definitely helped things based on my observation.
guru_max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 15:24   #3341
BHPian

Hello Chennai BHP-ians

I was recently informed by my friend that ECR now has speed cameras that flash and click a picture of your car if found above the limit. It seems you will receive the speeding ticket via post. During my drive on ECR in the past week I was maintaining a speed of 60 kmph and noticed that a few cars that were going faster clearly above 80-100 kmph got flashed.

Once you take the right turn onto ECR from Sholinganallur link road there is a huge overhead digital display that clearly mentions that speed cameras are active. I also kept out a keen eye but failed to see a board with the maximum allowed speed limit. So my guess is it is 80 kmph.

In other news the 2 wheeler riders are bordering on crazy with their manoeuvres, need to be extremely careful nowadays. Also most of the barricades that are put up on ECR do not even have any reflective stickers to warn motorists. Poor state of road affairs.

Last edited by Shanksta : 27th February 2021 at 15:26.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 15:32   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
During my drive on ECR in the past week I was maintaining a speed of 60 kmph and noticed that a few cars that were going faster clearly above 80-100 kmph got flashed.
Careful as the limit goes down to 40 for part of the ecr
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 20:09   #3343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_max View Post
Bunch of flyovers have opened in the last few weeks ,at Ichangadu, Medavakkam (both partially) and at retteri junction. Ichangadu has definitely helped things based on my observation.
A videograb of the Medavakkam flyover:

sara.ramli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 10:45   #3344
BHPian

ORR Review - Chennai

Kelambakkam - M Convention Vanagaram - Kelambakkam

Google Maps time - 1 Hr. 10 min - One way
Completed in 50 min - One way.

Pro's
~ Excellent road
~ Bypasses the city
~ Currently no toll though the set up is almost complete
~ Can easily touch 150 without realizing.

Con's
~ High traffic
~ People lack lane discipline across lanes
~ Unable to maintain a steady speed
~ People driving / riding without knowing how to drive / hide on the highways
~ Too many Up's, Down's and curves - could be very dangerous at anything above 80 kmph as you can't see longer stretches
~ Roads connecting into Avadi badly maintained
~ Vandalur end does not bypass the junction
ksmrsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 12:04   #3345
BHPian

Toll collection on OMR toll plazas to stop!

Link

On a related note, other redundant toll plazas surrounding Chennai are also planned to be scrapped as per the article.
srinath.s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks