Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 20:14   #2716
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
8 cars got submerged in my street with water level rising up to the bonnet ! Even a brand new duster was a victim in my street :/

Guys,any bunk that has diesel stock that you people know of?I have only 8-10lts left and will need more!
All the bunks after VGP on ECR have diesel and there's absolutely no crowd. Try them.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:39   #2717
BHPian

Road from Urapakkam till Kamakshi hospital is ridable (through medavakkam), cars are plying but roads are very bad at certain places. I went in my bike this afternoon.
Urapakkam is relatively dry today (Left side of GST towards Guduvanchery).
Old 4th December 2015, 20:56   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. His name is Vivek Ranjan.

Mob.9094971668.
Have shared within my known groups. Havnt heard back yet from anyone. Please keep your and your parents hopes up that your brother is fine.
Several of my friends were able to send out messages only this evening (after 3+ days) while several are still stuck without power and cell phones out of charge and with no land line working nearby.
Old 4th December 2015, 21:04   #2719
BHPian

Road updates:

1. Nelson Manickam road is clear, road is extremely bad after Metha nagar(towards Loyola)
2. Poonamallee high road is completely dry.
3. Koyambedu to Korattur (via Padi bridge) is good.
4. Arcot road is dry.

Almost all the bunks in the city are out of fuel. The CPCL refinery is under water & has been shut down so, chances of getting fuel in the city are very thin.

Filled up diesel near a bunk in korattur.
Most of the arterial roads are dry now. T nagar is still under water.

Will update more as and when I travel & get updates from reliable sources.
Old 4th December 2015, 22:20   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply. His name is Vivek Ranjan.

Mob.9094971668.
I am trying to get in touch with my colleagues in Guindy, but no network. So please be patient. The tower issue was not expected and hopefully will be resolved soon. Network is still patchy in my locality which has no issues with flooding.
Old 4th December 2015, 23:00   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukarsan View Post
I am trying to get in touch with my colleagues in Guindy, but no network. So please be patient. The tower issue was not expected and hopefully will be resolved soon. Network is still patchy in my locality which has no issues with flooding.

Thank you. Let me know with any updates.
Old 5th December 2015, 09:00   #2722
BHPian

Hi all,

MY Father in law is stuck in Chennai - we have been able to somehow contact him once a day or so - and in principle he is OK. He is put up with some distant friend family - I do not have the exact address, but he is somewhere in Beasant Nagar. Does it make sense for me to attempt to drive to Chennai from Bangalore to try to extract him, or is it better to wait few days that he is able to come out ? He is OK - of course there are hardships, but they are able to manage as I understand. Since, I dont know Chennai nor if the roads leading to Beasant nagar are flooded or not ; wanted opinion of BHPians who have a much better idea.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th December 2015, 10:11   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
Hi all,

MY Father in law is stuck in Chennai - we have been able to somehow contact him once a day or so - and in principle he is OK. He is put up with some distant friend family - I do not have the exact address, but he is somewhere in Beasant Nagar. Does it make sense for me to attempt to drive to Chennai from Bangalore to try to extract him, or is it better to wait few days that he is able to come out ? He is OK - of course there are hardships, but they are able to manage as I understand. Since, I dont know Chennai nor if the roads leading to Beasant nagar are flooded or not ; wanted opinion of BHPians who have a much better idea.

Thanks in advance.
If your FIL is ok and in a safe place then no need to travel down. there is no need for urgent evacuation . I am staying at home with family and not venturing anywhere. Today milk was also available easily. Cash is expected to be available later today from ATMs. Petrol is still in short supply. Network coverage is still patchy.

Now its been raining here for the past hour.
sukarsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 11:10   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
Since, I dont know Chennai nor if the roads leading to Beasant nagar are flooded or not ; wanted opinion of BHPians who have a much better idea.

Thanks in advance.
Don't drive down if you are sure that your FIL is safe. The best thing for him to do right now is stay put wherever he is and stay safe.
sathish81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 12:00   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Things are starting to get better! I heard that there's no electricity in Besant nagar!
It rained briefly in the morning& now the sun's shining in all its glory! Such a nice sight.

Rains are expected until late Tuesday, not like the one that wreaked havoc this week but it'll be slightly heavy (According to TamilNadu WeatherMan)

The Bangalore- Chennai road is motorable. Fuel is in short supply in the city as CPCL refinery is closed. Essentials like milk are available easily now, many ATMs are working now, the mobile network is very patchy & no 3G signals anywhere!

Things are getting back to normal, the road to Bessy from Bangalore is good until wallajahpet & from there till Poonamallee its bad!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 13:11   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Let me know with any updates.

I have gotten in touch with my brother today. He is alright and safe.
ckranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 10:41   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
...Its about time all cities wake up to this unstable weather conditions and start preparing, there should be new road laying techniques using porous compounds and/or creating a major drain over just about every road covered by a manhole (like New York) ...
An even better solution: Create lots of parks, just like in developed nations. Our cities need a park every 5 kms in either direction. Each park should be about 10,000 square meters in size (say 100 m x 100 m). These parks will have lawns/mud that can absorb the water in heavy monsoon thereby enriching the water table. In the dry seasons, they will be a pleasant sight to watch and an important green space for the citizens.

Even if it means compensating and acquiring land to create parks, this MUST happen. Its about time. Each park will cost about Rs 100 crore in compensation money I estimate. Creating approx 35 such parks (in a square city of about 30 km x 30 km size), would cost about Rs 3500 crores in compensation money. But its got to be done. If the will is there, it can be done.

But will our leaders ever learn? I doubt it!
Old 6th December 2015, 10:52   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Don't drive down to Madras to extract your FIL if he is in Besant nagar. Besant nagar is not flooded as other parts are. The approach roads in Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur were inundated earlier. We had a break in power supply for 2 days but now power is restored.
I had to extract my son who had to wade through knee deep water from Guindy Kathipara Flyover to Adyar on tuesday in the middle of the night. Indira nagar had nearly 3 feet of water and I had to turn back after water fording for 500 meters in my SUV. Finally had to take the main road to reach Adyar signal. Many cars had been stuck in many areas.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 11:01   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
An even better solution: Create lots of parks, just like in developed nations. Our cities need a park every 5 kms in either direction. Each park should be about 10,000 square meters in size (say 100 m x 100 m). These parks will have lawns/mud that can absorb the water in heavy monsoon thereby enriching the water table. In the dry seasons, they will be a pleasant sight to watch and an important green space for the citizens.

Even if it means compensating and acquiring land to create parks, this MUST happen. Its about time. Each park will cost about Rs 100 crore in compensation money I estimate. Creating approx 35 such parks (in a square city of about 30 km x 30 km size), would cost about Rs 3500 crores in compensation money. But its got to be done. If the will is there, it can be done.

But will our leaders ever learn? I doubt it!
The core issue is greed and flagrant violation of nature. http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...flooding-36595

And when nature strikes back, we will always be caught with our pants down. Just parks doesn't work - some areas you need to get out of the way and restore the flood plains.

Interesting part is - volunteers + social media using common sense have done a far better job (per my friends) than the otherwise well-respected TN govt + bureaucracy.
Old 6th December 2015, 13:12   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
I have gotten in touch with my brother today. He is alright and safe.
Glad to know he is safe ! Thanks for updating. Sorry we couldn't locate him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks