Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 15:52   #1
BHPian

Rain & Roads in Chennai

Rains and Roads in chennai are better off being mutually exclusive terms. Its a nightmare to go out in Chennai today. The weather is great, perfect i should say for a nice drive. Its been raining non stop from morning and it does not look like its gonna stop anytime soon. But the sad point is there is no road to drive.

I am writing this just 10 mins after return from a Adyar - TNagar - Adyar journey. Yes, it was journey i should say, a long one at that. Its like been to hell. Traffic jams everywhere. This route can be done is 30 mins in worst peak hour traffic and it took me 1 1/2 hours today.

If there weather is the same tomorrow, then you can see me in a light green Innova on the Chennai - Pondy Road.
Old 7th November 2009, 15:58   #2
BHPian

well, rain is every where. seriously, we just cannot go anywhere in chennai. In T.Nagar all roads are flooded with water. Worst of all, it is not only rain water. It is sweage water mixed with rain water. The only person to be benifited by the rains is my dad! (P.S he is a doctor).
Old 7th November 2009, 16:05   #3
BHPian

Archish, What you said is absolutely right. My Zen's wiper konked off so i went to ABT Guindy to get it fixed. I ended up changing the entire assembly and it took me 1 hr for a 10KM drive to madipakkam. St.Thomas mount subway is flooded and i had to detour and took the palavanthngal subway instead.

Chennai is neat and tidy during sunny days and on the first sight of rain, it becomes the ugliest city. We need to understand Chennai is not a planned city like Bangalore. The infrastructure is built only after the place is developed. That’s not the case with the other metros where the infrastructure comes first and then the houses. I wish Chennai has a proper storm water drain (Unclogged drain to be precise).
Old 7th November 2009, 16:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Understand, Chennai never had this kind of rain in the last 3/4 years?I was just talking to my friends in Annanagar and he explained that the situation isvery bad.Dont know when the authorities are going to wake and some permanant solution to meet such eventualities in the future. Chennai is like this - no rain, struggle for drinking water,if rain -water everywhere !
Old 7th November 2009, 16:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Chennai is like this - no rain, struggle for drinking water,if rain -water everywhere !
Very well said. That is the situation always. Either water shortage or flooding.

@ ElantraGT.

They dont seem to learn from the mistakes. You can still see flats developing at a crazy pace, with no roads leading to them, in areas like OMR, Nanganallur Vandalur, etc.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:49   #6
BHPian

As far as I remember, this happens every year in Chennai around November when the seasonal cylocnic depression hits and brings heavy rain. In fact I clearly remember incidents almost 15 years back when Roads were flooded and everything out of gear.

T.Nagar is one of the worst hit areas. The Doraisamy Subway is the most infamous getting flooded each year without fail. Another is the GN Chetty Road. Im surprised even after so many years, these problems have still not been addressed. Bangalore seems to going the same way though nowadays.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:50   #7
BHPian

How is the flooding situation in mandaveli guys? Any idea? I have to be there for a wedding reception in 2 hours. Don't want to risk taking my car and planning to go by bus.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT
Chennai is neat and tidy during sunny days and on the first sight of rain, it becomes the ugliest city.
Its been raining hard for the past 5-6 days. For the first three days, the roads were dry in a few hours. And now its waterlogged streets.
Bright side: Atleast I'm happy we've had our share of rains or we'd be like a desert in the summer with the water scarcity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX
The only person to be benifited by the rains is my dad! (P.S he is a doctor)
That's Sadistic thinking, bro. (PS: My Dad's a doctor too.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT
We need to understand Chennai is not a planned city like Bangalore. The infrastructure is built only after the place is developed.
Are you sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk
Understand, Chennai never had this kind of rain in the last 3/4 years?
Wrong! We've been experiencing this (almost, if you insist) every year. And actually, this year ain't the worst. We've seen worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk
Chennai is like this - no rain, struggle for drinking water,if rain -water everywhere !
This is a natural occurrence. And yes, we're not the most fertile of places. But, that doesn't make this city inferior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj
As far as I remember, this happens every year in Chennai around November when the seasonal cylocnic depression hits and brings heavy rain. In fact I clearly remember incidents almost 15 years back when Roads were flooded and everything out of gear.
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu
How is the flooding situation in mandaveli guys? Any idea? I have to be there for a wedding reception in 2 hours. Don't want to risk taking my car and planning to go by bus.
Unless you're the groom, I'd say give it a miss.
They'll understand.

Last edited by nitrous : 7th November 2009 at 16:58.
Old 7th November 2009, 17:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Mandeveli is fine in terms of water logging, you can drive through. But a freak incident of a tree falling over Santro infront of St Johns CBSE school. Car's roof , on the driver area has gone down a feet minimum, pray he should be fine.

Careful with the trees and cables snapping.

I was told Foreshore estate road is closed due to water logging, take RK Mutt (RK muttamana) road if your coming via adayar.
Old 7th November 2009, 17:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Unless you're the groom, I'd say give it a miss.
They'll understand.
Potential groom so can't miss .

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Mandeveli is fine in terms of water logging, you can drive through. But a freak incident of a tree falling over Santro infront of St Johns CBSE school. Car's roof , on the driver area has gone down a feet minimum, pray he should be fine.

Careful with the trees and cables snapping.

I was told Foreshore estate road is closed due to water logging, take RK Mutt (RK muttamana) road if your coming via adayar.
Coming by bus from mogappair . How far is mandaveli street from the bus stand. Walkable?
Old 7th November 2009, 17:51   #11
BHPian

@nitrous! *yawns* nothing sadistic. Everybody have their share of problems when it rains like this. I have now started thinking of how i would goto office on monday if it is going rain like this for another couple of says!
Old 7th November 2009, 17:53   #12
BHPian

@ Mission Safari

Mandaveli Street is quite near the bus stand. but it is a long road. Make sure where the Marriage hall is.

Must take atleast 2 hours from door to door i think.
Old 7th November 2009, 18:31   #13
BHPian

I was driving last night from Sholinganallur to Pallavaram. I had a tough time to avoid water logs. I did not want water to enter my car.

Today, I used the public transport. Believe me, it was great. It was just me and the umbrella. No fiddly rain jacket problems (bike), no visibility problems in my car

It was just great to see the city and people in a totally different mood.

Let us not complain about rain. It happens very very rarely in our city and we badly need it to help dehydating in summer. Let us find some ways to live through it
Old 7th November 2009, 20:32   #14
BHPian

this is when you feel better in SUV. just returned from santhome-anna nagar - medavakkam. Water logs are everywhere but still i travelled with ease without any worry.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:19   #15
BHPian

There is heavy water logging in Inner ring road at 3 places between kathipara Jn and Anna Nagar --@ Guindy near CIPET, @ Arumbakkam near Radha Park Inn and @ CMBT. But water logging is on one side only on Guindy to Anna Nagar side. It took me 1.5 hrs reach Tirumangalam from Kathipara but I did the return drive in 40 mins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks