Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 00:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

I defend my statement that we have the best highways.
-Wide well thought of median with bushes on them
-Steel barricade on the sides at all habitations
-good banking of corners
-Numerous highway patrol and first-aid stations
-Service lanes in all habitations
-Truck lay-byes with clean toilets and drinking water
-lane reflectors for safe night driving
-Toll booths with Toilets and food facilities
-Petrol bunks with good quality fuel and a zillion facilities
-Accurate sign boards (ex. 200 mts to median)
-And best of all no enforced speed limits.
Old 15th January 2010, 00:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

There is one thing common in North Coastal AP and Orissa. Dudes on motorcycles and Indica drivers come on the wrong side of the divider (in the fast lane) and then have the cheek to flash their lights at you.

Though this was faintly amusing, I was not amused but was definitely annoyed. Here we were, trying to do a 7000 km road trip and these idiots were out to slow us down.

Soon I hit upon a formula. I would start putting on the lights on my car one by one (the parking lights normally stay on when I drive on the highways to improve my cars visibility to others). 1st stage, I switch on the fog lamps, 2nd stage I flash the high beam, 3rd stage I fix them with the HID low beam, if the damn fool has not reacted by now, I put on the high beam via the switch. By the fourth stage there are 8 bulbs aglow on my car vs. the poor chaps one or two and he gives up.

I wish it were legal to shoot those idiots on the spot.
Old 19th January 2010, 13:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed an accident while traveling by bus yesterday.
Location-about 15 km from Tirunelveli
Incident-Mitsubishi Cedia stopped on the left lane of the 4-way to the left of the median and 2-wheeler fallen on the right lane of the 4-way to the left of the median facing the wrong side. No significant damage to either vehicle. 2-wheeler rider and some other men are roughing up the car driver.
Inference(by me and the bus driver and others)-2-wheeler was coming on the wrong side of the 4-way. Car swerved/brushed the 2-wheeler. Car driver beaten as he stopped to see if the 2-wheeler driver was all right.
The sad thing is that we should develop the mindset to run away from the scene and not be a 'Good Samaritan'. I pity myself and others who enjoy driving.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The sad thing is that we should develop the mindset to run away from the scene and not be a 'Good Samaritan'. I pity myself and others who enjoy driving.
truly sad state in our country if one needs to resort to such tactics !!
Old 19th January 2010, 22:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
truly sad state in our country if one needs to resort to such tactics !!
, mobocracy running the show; usually in such cases, verdict is given by local goons and punishment is immediate.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

you're wrong sbraj. Local goons need not enter. Just local people. Also no verdict. It's just 'Dharm-aadi'. Everyone joins for fun.
Old 12th February 2010, 16:37   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
There is one thing common in North Coastal AP and Orissa. Dudes on motorcycles and Indica drivers come on the wrong side of the divider (in the fast lane) and then have the cheek to flash their lights at you.........
Not only north coastal AP. Have come across bikes doing that here in Hyderabad as well.

Today, saw a bike taking a u-turn at the end of a divider and just after completing the turn, it braked hard to avoid a bike on the wrong side. The wrong-side guy waves his hand as if to say "Be careful". The guy taking the u-turn said something in reply and then they went their respective ways.

Ironically, the bike taking the u-turn and on the correct side throughout was carrying three people without helmets and didn't have mirrors. The one on the wrong side was carrying just the rider, helmeted, and with both mirrors.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:55   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Incident-Mitsubishi Cedia stopped on the left lane of the 4-way to the left of the median and 2-wheeler fallen on the right lane of the 4-way to the left of the median facing the wrong side. No significant damage to either vehicle. 2-wheeler rider and some other men are roughing up the car driver.
Inference(by me and the bus driver and others)-2-wheeler was coming on the wrong side of the 4-way. Car swerved/brushed the 2-wheeler. Car driver beaten as he stopped to see if the 2-wheeler driver was all right.
Its really sad. In such cases, i think its best not to stop at all. Instead speed away and surrender at the nearest police station. Its the lesser of both evils!
Old 12th February 2010, 21:25   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
wildsdi,

I am sure about which highway & which part of India you are talking where you get to experience this. It happens only in Tamilnadu ! for your information.

I have driven all over Tamilnadu from Bangalore and also the pune - Mumbai expressway. There is a marked difference on how people behave in Tamilnadu.

In Tamil nadu, its very common to encounter TVS50s, Max100, tractors, bullock carts, and family on a cycle on the wrong opposite side, though the highway is a well made four lane or six lane including both sides.

I keep experiencing this during my drive every 2 weeks when i visit Coimbatore from Bangalore on business.

These morons dont seem to understand into what kind of risks they put themselves.

I also dont appreciate the fact that you drive @150kmph knowing this, in Tamilnadu. Do you do it just because you have an insurance?
You mean to say that there are no accidents in KA

Are there no TVS 50s, MAX 100s bullock carts, family on cycle on the wrong side of the road in KA

We Team BHP members have driven in many parts of our motherland and there are all sort of maniacs driving and jay walking everywhere not only in one part of India as you have mentioned.There are sensible drivers and bad driversas well in every part of India and equally responsible and irresponsible road users . But many in India donot understand that they are puttting themselves and others to risk. And lastly do not generalise things and there are nuts everywhere driving 150+ kms/hr and and endangering others not only in TN but also in KA.

SG PRAKASH
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:28   #70
BHPian

Oncoming traffic on the right fast lane on NH-4 is a regular affair, specifically between the 4 way lane stretch between the boarder of Maharashtra and Karnataka(Nippani-Hubli). No offence to the folks from those areas, but I've regularly seen bullock carts to tractors and bikes to trucks driving on the opposite direction in the fast right lane. I think the primary reason is, the distance between median gaps are a few Kms, which forces these folks to drive in the opposite direction. I've even seen police vehicles doing in this area. It becomes extremely dangerous especially at night, as you really cannot judge if the on comer was coming head-on your direction or in the opposite fast lane. We make it a practice to switch to the central lane as soon as we get close to this area.

Regarding the bushes and possibility of animals popping out, yes I did face this once on NH4. I was far lucky than others as it was a poor dog, who didn’t know what a 2 ton scrop was all about when he jumped, right in front of my right front wheels.

The Pune-Mumbai express way is far better that way, as they have fences on both the sides of the roads, preventing any one intruding on the road, be it a man, or an animal. I dont think that can be done on all roads, as there are villages around and more populated.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:07   #71
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no use being stupid and inviting trouble.these animals in human form will blame the bigger vehicle,if that was the case actually- better to flee the scene.Sad that we have to even think like this-and we talk about being a developed country one day,have BMW and Mercs here while cant fix this simple issue
What is annoying that on Toll Roads also this happens- why do we pay money then? NHAI should have cops who just put these people behind bars- its nothing less than attempted murder to come in the wrong lane.Nne is doing an act to kill another using the vehicle( this was a litigation in public interest filed at bangalore for people who come in 1 way-i agree)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team :
Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules.
Avoid...typing...like...this.
Thanks.

Last edited by mkh : 23rd February 2010 at 15:27. Reason: explained in post. Thanks.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:31   #72
BHPian

^^ so the choices are be a good samaritan and help the wrong-doer or flee the scene and land up in a hit-n-run case!

Most Viewed