Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 01:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Oncoming traffic on the wrong side

Dear BHPians,
While driving along our country's fine highways, I am generally at high speed on the high speed lane (the one near the median). But often I've encountered 2/3/4/6 wheelers driving at high speed opposite to me, but on my side of the median. No doubt they are following rules and keeping to their left. No matter that it may be on the wrong side. Now I'm sure everyone knows what happens when a Honda city at 150+ Kph meets a Hero Honda at 80+ Kph head-on. Thankfully due to the NHAI rules, I wouldn't have to pay the poor bugger's family any compensation. And I'm sure insurance should take care of my car.
But I wonder why we cannot educate people to use the service lane that has been provided? Or if at all they want to live adventurously, why can't they try on the slow lanes (the left side, Their right). Have we been so ingrained with the advice that we should 'KEEP LEFT' that it means we risk our lives?
I'm sure a lot of you would have encountered similar experiences. How would you manage it? And what do you do when the afore said drivers gesticulate you and shout "KEEP LEFT"?
I know I'm mirthful about a serious issue, but I request you guys to think about it.
Old 13th November 2009, 01:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whenever possible, i drive in the middle of the road. Its rare to see anyone driving down the wrong side in the middle. Also, technically speaking, rightmost lane is an overtaking lane, not high speed lane.
Old 13th November 2009, 01:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks amitoj,
But I am always overtaking the buses and trucks in the middle lane at high speed. So I practically live in the overtaking lane. Hence the appellation.
Old 13th November 2009, 02:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Thanks amitoj,
But I am always overtaking the buses and trucks in the middle lane at high speed. So I practically live in the overtaking lane. Hence the appellation.
Which highways you drive on?

If you stick to the rightmost lane, be wary of someone (human, dog, goat, cow, two wheeler) emerging suddenly from the divider onto your path. Specially if the divider has bushes.
Old 13th November 2009, 02:49   #5
BHPian

+1 to the emerging part. I would always prefer staying in middle lane and reach out to the right when i overtake. I am speaking about speeds greater than 130 in my esteem and i was able to perform it without any issues. Driving in the right most lane is always a threat as far as i have seen.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:31   #6
BHPian

You can find them coming every where i.e on the left ,right & middle lane. I have once narrowly missed a 2 wheeler on the middle lane who was changing lanes while attempting an exit of the highway. My experience is that the issue is particularly acute in TN. I can't think of any solution except policing by cops. Meanwhile all we can possibly do is WATCH OUT !!
Old 13th November 2009, 13:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I second what "amit" has told regarding animals and even people coming from the medians through the bushes. you will be left with no time,but only to take them with you(on the bonnet) and later if you are struck with a major accident then you are gone. So it is better to keep the right lane only for overtaking rather than speeding.By the way what is the rule you had mentioned about written in NHAI

Last edited by shishir_bn : 13th November 2009 at 13:59.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully due to the NHAI rules, I wouldn't have to pay the poor bugger's family any compensation. And I'm sure insurance should take care of my car.
This is a news to me, which rule is this?
Old 13th November 2009, 15:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

What rule is this?

And more often than not, judgment is delivered by the nearby village gundas and not the ones sitting in courts.

Again, it is advisable to stay away from the median as people will try to jump in time to collide with you.

That said, I do find it very annoying.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:52   #10
BHPian

I am surprised that you got away easy after hitting a motor-cyclist. No matter what the law says, or whose fault it is, the surrounding people would give the car-driver the thrashing of his life if that happened around where I live. The thumb-rule seems to be that the guy in the bigger vehicle is always at fault.

I agree with amitoj - driving on the fast-lane is more dangerous. I once had a very narrow escape with a buffalo that suddenly stepped-down from the median onto the road. We were lucky that our Santro was able swerve quick enough to just avoid it, but the Indica behind us wasn't that lucky and rammed head-long into the beast despite braking hard.

I frequently travel on the GQ in noth AP, and stay in the center of the road as much as possible and try not to exceed 100 kmph. I avoid driving on the high-ways after dark unless it is absolutely necessary. And then I am extra cautious - have seen enough gruesome accidents to keep a sensible head when driving, be it a Maruti 800 or a Corolla.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:23   #11
BHPian

I know this is one of the major reason for a lot of accidents on our GQ and other 4-laned highways. I personally feel that the only way we can avoid these fools from driving on the wrong side is to make them liable for any incident. We need to have strict laws and even stricter implementation of these laws.

Frankly, as a nation, there is very little respect for others and that's the main reason why there is no or very little respect for laws.
Old 13th November 2009, 19:01   #12
BHPian

Many wrong side drive happens when the NHAI is under construction. I myself have driven on the right side of the road somewhere between Bangalore and Hyderabad. I was all alone on the right side and was kind of pissed off driving through that. I even felt whether I missed a gap between the median to move to the left side of the highway. It's a pressure situation when you have to drive on the wrong side. You will be confused as on the functioning one side of the road, you are supposed to take the left hand side of the single lane road. This has caused my friends and me a major accident which took a life.
So NHAI should make arrangements if the vehicles has to ply on wrong side.
Old 14th November 2009, 04:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

To make things clear, first of all, Touch wood I've not hit any two-wheeler. It was a hypothetical situation.
Secondly I drive down south. Bangalore-Coimbatore-Tirunelveli-Chennai. And most of the places the bushes are not growing on the median. B/W Bangalore-Chennai, there is a yellow metal divider. So visibility is not an issue. But points duly noted and henceforth I will be driving in the center lane.
Also in roads under construction, I never go fast. I prefer to stay safe and stick to my left and treat it as a regular single road.
Regarding the 'rule', I saw some people moving an accident victim, dead presumably, from one side of the road to the other before the cops arrive. On asking a local shop wallah, I was told it was to claim insurance which will not be given if the victim was driving on the wrong side.
By the way, other than some glitches, I personally feel we have the best highways.
Old 14th November 2009, 05:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Now I'm sure everyone knows what happens when a Honda city at 150+ Kph meets a Hero Honda at 80+ Kph head-on. Thankfully due to the NHAI rules, I wouldn't have to pay the poor bugger's family any compensation. And I'm sure insurance should take care of my car.
But I wonder why we cannot educate people to use the service lane that has been provided?
You say you are doing 150+ kmph? You are also taking about educating people.

As many have already asked, what rule? No matter what, how do you live with the guilt?

Rajan
Old 14th November 2009, 07:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

It was a hypothetical situation. No one drives at 150, and especially not in a Honda City.

Relax!

As for the insurance thingy... I don't want to count on it.

As for the guilt.. Yes it'll be there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks