Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 13:17   #31
BHPian

When I spot someone with high beam and fog lamps on, I don't even bother flashing my lights. To such people, I bet, the concept of low beam is totally alien. On the contrary they leave me wondering why have they not switched on their hazard lights and the in-cabin lights. After all they too are lights and if the idea is to glow like a firefly why not use these as well and have Diwali on wheels?

On a serious note though, the best and polite way would be to flash your light once. If it doesn't work, chances are the guy isn't really bothered with the niceties of using low beam. Ignore him and carry on!
canonguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2009, 14:50   #32
BHPian

the most effective way that i have found out is the usage of 130/100 phillips rallyae which i switch on when an oncoming vehicle does not respond to my low beams

give them a taste of their medicine.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Mercidised - when you switch your lights off completely, you're at risk both from the oncoming and from-the-behind traffic. You never know, someone may overtake the vehicle who made you switch it off completely. The rest is you-know-what!
By switching the lights off, i mean "something like Blinking(switch light off for just 1-2sec and then switchi it ON again)."
Old 28th November 2009, 17:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I see that I am with minority here asking to slow down and/or continue in dip beam when oncoming ignorant driver is not dipping.

Most of you have expressed opinion of blinding the other guy - You could not do worse.

Any where else Indians drive sensibly and follow laws or road courtesy, then why not in India? Our "chalta hai" attitude is also responsible for lot of other traffic woes that we love to rant and rave against but not follow ourselves.

Why would he lower the beam when he expects "blinding" treatment? Experience has taught most of the drivers to be on high beam - just like majority opinions here - and it is only experience that will teach them dipping. Just railing against and not practising it ourselves is what we educated chaps should not do.

What would happen if you did dip?

For one it will be safer - all agree
Second you may have to slow down - And this is the crux of the problem. We do not want to slow down, not one of us.
Third slowly acceptance of dipping will become prevalent.

Drive with dipped beams. AND especially on rainy nights when visibility is further compromised with reflections and refractions! Slow down. Drive safely and reach home safe.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
the most effective way that i have found out is the usage of 130/100 phillips rallyae which i switch on when an oncoming vehicle does not respond to my low beams

give them a taste of their medicine.
I totally agree.Time to swtich on your HIDs and blind them and let them bang right into you and then let the two of you get out of your cars and punch each other and fight it out till the other guy understands that all this happened to him because he did not know that the lever which clicked to turn on the headlight could have been swayed to activate the dipper too
Old 28th November 2009, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I see that I am with minority here asking to slow down and/or continue in dip beam when oncoming ignorant driver is not dipping.
Sudev I do what you do,
I give them high beam flash, 95% of trucks switch to low beam. And around 60% of cars switch to low beam .

And the people who dont low their light, I give them a flash again.... and even after this they dont switch to low, I slow my car and continue in low beam.
I got 4 auxiliary lights on my safari, but I never turn them on when the oncoming driver does not low his beam.
Turning them on or flashing continuously or switching to high beam is not safe at all. They can get irritated because some of them are drunk some are ignorant and some dont know that what you are asking for..
And the person who is not dimming his beam on your flash is a bad driver and there are many people who dont know when to use low or high beam. Some people dont know that if incoming guy is flashing beam it means he is asking you to low your beam.

And the people who does not low their beam on your first flash is not going to low , weather you keep on flashing or turn on extra lights.
Doing anything will not make them switch to low beam but will irritate them and that may be dangerous for you.
Old 28th November 2009, 23:36   #37
BHPian

This trick what i do works on 60% of the motorists,

If the on coming vehicle is on high beam, I dont flash the high beam, instead i turn it on for a good 2-3 seconds, This will make the dumb driver digest what i'm trying to tell, If he doesn't budge, Turn on high beam untill he passes (Making sure that there is no one around him and provided it is a wide road)
Newer 2 wheelers are equipped with multi reflector headlights which are as powerful as the ones on cars.

Drivers on the highway understand the dim-dip language more than the city drivers,

Regarding the antiglare glasses:
I've been using the regular exxilor antiglare glasses when i drive in the night, It helps to an extent but not much, It just makes the world around you clearer.
akshay_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2009, 23:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

I drive a NHC Gxi and my high beam doesn't spread above 6 feet at the highest setting. I mean, even if I use my high beam, it does not illuminate a truck or bus cabin. Thus I drive with my high beam and fog lamps (which illuminate the road near me) and have very clear visibility. Of course when a car or auto rickshaw are opposite, I dim my lights.
Also fortunately, where I drive, there is usually a median so I'm mainly concentrating on the left edge to make sure there are no unlighted objects on my path.
Only lorry drivers on long hauls actually practice the dim/dipping in my experience.
Old 29th November 2009, 00:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Quote:
Most of you have expressed opinion of blinding the other guy - You could not do worse.
Quote:
Why would he lower the beam when he expects "blinding" treatment? Experience has taught most of the drivers to be on high beam - just like majority opinions here - and it is only experience that will teach them dipping. Just railing against and not practising it ourselves is what we educated chaps should not do.
Ill have to agree completely. Lord knows how much it frustrates me when even after multiple flashes the other driver does not switches to low beam.

Like i said before, if you guys are crossing slowly, you can politely request the other guy to drive in low beam (people actually switch to low beam immediately after requesting, and im sure would definitely remember the advice the next time they switch on the head lights). I did it again today and the other guy switched to low beam instantly, making a "im sorry" face. I felt i did something good by doing so, although my father sitting next to me got confused why i did that. But if switching your head lights to high beam to teach the other person a lesson is what you think is correct, i'd say think again.

Yes it is irritating, but a journey of thousand mile begins with one step. Let's all do it right way, slowly we'll see the change everywhere too. Be the change you want to see.

I started this thread because i thought i was using a wrong way to signal the oncoming traffic to lower their beams, or maybe there's a better way to signal. But it seems from all the discussions that my way was right, only the ignorance was there on the part of the oncoming driver.

I think i've found the answer i was looking for. Mods can please close this thread now.

Drive safe.
Cheers.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:54   #40
BHPian

With the exception of sending a message across to the oncoming vehicle, i am always on Low-beam. but like others have mentioned, Attacking them with your own High beam works only occasionally.

To add to all the points being discussed above, Ive noticed people just flicking from Low-High and High-low for no reason whatsoever!i wonder what they intend to achieve by it.I think its just a "game" for them with the joystick control in their hands.

One measure that helps sometimes is (what i call) "Clearing out". its simply means to get out of the path of the Light beam. A slight move towards the left can sometimes work wonders in reducing the "blindness". not always, but sometimes.
Old 1st December 2009, 10:20   #41
BHPian

I would like to see more initiative from the RTOs to educate drivers on the potential hazards of driving with high beam. This might help address the problem on a larger scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I've been using the regular exxilor antiglare glasses when i drive in the night, It helps to an extent but not much, It just makes the world around you clearer.
I'm going to buy a pair anyways as I once almost had a bad experience. On the highway, a lorry was oncoming and all I could see were two strong headlights. I was judging my distance from the side based on the right headlight. I almost clipped the right edge at a high speed as I did not account for the thickness of the lorry edge from the right light.
Old 1st December 2009, 10:34   #42
BHPian

This is a great thread. I always wished there could be a ways to teach/educate but its indeed impossible. It can be felt most on two lane highways. I had tryst with this when I for the first time did Mumbai-Goa. I guess the best bet is to drive soberly, blink when you feel distracted and when someone does not listen switch on ur hids I would suggest even top mounted fogs, if you have. Give them a taste they will never forget.
The best lights can sometime from unexpected vehicles. I know someone who has fitted a $400 HID in a 1964 Fiat super select, and does Mumbai-Nasik on regular basis. Not to mention a person who has GE Aircraft Landing Lights on his select

Last edited by kavesh55 : 1st December 2009 at 10:42. Reason: added words
Old 1st December 2009, 18:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
This trick what i do works on 60% of the motorists,

If the on coming vehicle is on high beam, I dont flash the high beam, instead i turn it on for a good 2-3 seconds, This will make the dumb driver digest what i'm trying to tell, If he doesn't budge, Turn on high beam untill he passes (Making sure that there is no one around him and provided it is a wide road)
Newer 2 wheelers are equipped with multi reflector headlights which are as powerful as the ones on cars.

Drivers on the highway understand the dim-dip language more than the city drivers,

I do the same . However, what irritates me most is someone behind me using high beam in the city and I really haven't been able to think up a polite way to deal with this.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:31   #44
J.Ravi

I have observed that most of the bus/taxi drivers and some truck drivers do not dip their high beams. Whenever, there is a vehicle coming in the opposite direction, I immediately respond with dipping my headlamps. But, if there is no response from the opposite party, then, I switch on my highbeam till the other party responds. In most of the cases, there is a positive response to this shock treatment! Then onwards, I will continue with the matching high and low beam alternatively until we cross each other. So far no accidents in my driving career of about 40 years.

Old 1st December 2009, 22:11   #45
BHPian

What does the government say?

I have seen a number of opinions, but can someone tell me the 'best practice', 'legally allowable practice' or rules provided by the government in this regard?

Is there a limit on the max brightness of the lamps we can use in the front (headlamps, foglamps et al)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks