Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 03:20   #46
BHPian

well what makes it even worse it that some of these cabs like neru etc are fully loaded with passengers & are using high beams, why the hell dont they use the headlight leveler, these cab drivers are real villagers
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Blinding the other ignorant guy or giving him a taste of his own medicine makes him more arrogant than less in most cases. It is safe to slow down give a few dips and let him pass. No point in risking ones life and others too. I use powerful lamps not to hurt others but to break through the dark. If someone has a problem with it, I oblige by dipping for a while untill they pass.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:22   #48
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Is there a limit on the max brightness of the lamps we can use in the front (headlamps, foglamps et al)?
The legal limit is the OE headlamps [55W each, IIRC] and fog lamps without any enhancements as in my present and previous vehicles.

Old 3rd December 2009, 00:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

But how about buses and trucks? They seen to have such bright lights. Is there a different law for them?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

there is a practice of switching off headlights fully and put High Beam again when confronted in weird situations at night doing high speeds.common with KeSRTC Buses.

Any Other Uses?I've seen LMV's also sometimes switching off Lights during night for few seconds when confronted with overtaking/risky vehicles from Other Side(To Help them ?).
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:37   #51
BHPian

A flick of the high beam usually works but if that doesnt work i follow with a flick of the finger.
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:49   #52
BHPian

i just switch on the four light force i have
always work
Old 3rd December 2009, 04:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

All I can again comment - You shall reap as you sow. I will continue to use dip beams and not blind the oncoming.

Quote:
here is a practice of switching off headlights fully and put High Beam again
A sort of half way solution but shows curtsey to oncoming guy. Further you will observe this practise by heavy vehicle drivers when they see that the oncoming vehicle has some obstruction in their path.!
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
But how about buses and trucks? They seen to have such bright lights. Is there a different law for them?
Partly, our Sedans/small cars are low slung so their head lamps are at level of our heads most of the time. So visibility can be hampered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
A flick of the high beam usually works but if that doesnt work i follow with a flick of the finger.
As if he can see your finger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
i just switch on the four light force i have
always work
Bad boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
All I can again comment - You shall reap as you sow. I will continue to use dip beams and not blind the oncoming.
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:52   #55

>>there is a practice of switching off headlights fully and put High Beam
I take my office cab driver for my long drives, he uses this most of the time. In fact this seems to be a very nice way of understanding the road ahead of you, when you turn of your lite you can see the road ahead of you because of the oncoming vehicle light, even the big potholes and bumps are visible.

I too use this at times, does not work in the city, works fine on highways.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

In cities I never use the High beam.I avoid night travels on the highways. In case if I have to travel I use High beam and use dim dip with out fully putting off and on.
Old 4th December 2009, 01:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

I prefer late night driving on the highways. Agreed that trucks and buses can be a menace, But if you time it right, you can avoid them. Also added bonus is the lack of 2-wheelers and pedestrians. Plus you can average some really good speeds. I once did Bangalore to Madras at an average of 138 Kmph.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:05   #58
BHPian

[quote=wildsdi5530;1615042.I once did Bangalore to Madras at an average of 138 Kmph.[/QUOTE]
138! Where you driving your honda city? Thats some skills you got there man.

Old 4th December 2009, 10:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

I will never do this, but I have noticed a trend among the auto guys and some bike people to force the oncoming cars to dip their lights.

What they do is, they just aim their vehicle directly onto the oncoming vehicle with highbeam and drive/ride! They come so close and then they swerve. By that time, most of the other drivers would have swerved and dipped their beams!! So creative an idea!!
Old 5th December 2009, 01:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Well I started from Bangalore at 2:00 am. So could maintain a high speed all the way. No particular skilled driving on my part. The roads were deserted all the way and my headlights 'turn night into day'.

Most Viewed