Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 20:23   #241
BHPian

Re: Yet Another Incorrect New Use for Hazard Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Oh no. Please, no, no! If visibility (not driving conditions, but visibility) is low, and you have no option but to continue driving, use your headlights and taillights; and use your front and rear fog lights if you have them. Please do not ever, ever, ever use hazards for this.

Also, please do not use your hazards when you're inside a tunnel. Turn on your headlights and tail lights. Not even fog lights.

I am afraid there are many people on this thread besides you who are labouring under this misconception. What you said is not valid.

When the hazards are on and you turn on your indicators, the hazards automatically stop and the indicators take precedence. Once the indicators are cancelled, the hazards automatically continue. Try it out on your car and see for yourself.

Cheers
I agree with everything you said except the last part about "When the hazards are on and you turn on your indicators, the hazards automatically stop and the indicators take precedence". That's not true in most cars.
vharihar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 20:26   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Seen on highways, some drivers switch their hazard lights on when slowing down for a speed hump, or when stopping for pedestrians crossing the road.

Is this also incorrect usage?
Ford vehicles used to do this at first, nowadays other brands also does this. If you hit the brakes at speeds above ~ 90 kmph, it turns on the hazard lights to warn drivers coming behind.

Sometimes the drivers manually do this to indicate some obstruction on the road and for the one coming behind them to be careful.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:11   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seen on highways, some drivers switch their hazard lights on when slowing down for a speed hump, or when stopping for pedestrians crossing the road.
fair usage, me thinks. As long as they switch off the hazards after that.

Far better than the nincompoops who keep driving with the hazards on
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:16   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seen on highways, some drivers switch their hazard lights on when slowing down...
Some vehicles have the 'hazard lights on panic braking' feature built in. First-gen Figo sold in India, for example.

If you notice a hazard on the road that someone following close behind might not notice and be endangered by, it's arguably a good practice to let them know. Needs to be used judiciously, of course.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:49   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
fair usage, me thinks. As long as they switch off the hazards after that.

Far better than the nincompoops who keep driving with the hazards on
"nincompoops" - I've been there. I realized the reason some cars have their flashers on all the time.

It's the security system. A combination of door open, with engine running seems to trigger the "anti-hijack" mode on our Alto K10. The only way to silence the alarm as an emergency measure is to rip the wire from the hooter, but this keeps the flashers going. I've learnt to disarm this alarm since, but I no longer curse those who seem to leave their flashers on throughout

To disarm the Anti-Hijack mode:
  • Switch off engine,
  • open and close the driver side door
  • (R) Switch on ignition, press the security button near the steering column, switch off ignition
  • Repeat (R) 3 more times (this means you entered code 1111 that disarms the alarm)
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:51   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
It's the security system.
in rains ? I dont think you were talking about such situations, were you ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 08:13   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
in rains ?
OK. I didn't realize this was the 2nn-th post on this very very contentious subject.

Simple explanation, we don't worry about "others" in our country, AND we don't have any "common sense".
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:57   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I agree with everything you said except the last part about "When the hazards are on and you turn on your indicators, the hazards automatically stop and the indicators take precedence". That's not true in most cars.
Yes I have been corrected on this here. My experience was based on the cars that I have owned, which did behave the way I said; and therefore I mistakenly presumed that all cars behaved this way.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks