Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 14:00   #106
BHPian

My mom was going for driving classes in Tuticorin. The instructor told her that if the vehicle behind her wants to overtake, she should use her indicators to indicate that he can go. Right being that he can go ahead, left, asking him not to overtake. Wierd man i'd say. He also told her to use Hazards when going straight at a junction. I was at the backseat when he was telling her all this.
So when we return to the institute, i tell him that what he said was wrong and he could look up the internet and correct himself. But then , the old man was very short tempered. He bursts out, saying he's got 35 yrs driving experience, and that i was too small (was not even 18 then) to know anything about cars. I told him to go to hell and walked out. Never did i let my mom go to him and learn after that.
Old 6th February 2010, 14:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

I have seen hazard lights go off while heavy braking many-a-times in 'Top Gear' while Stig is testing the cars!

also, Quote from Ford Fiesta Review
Quote:
Twin front airbags, ABS, seatbelt pretensioners and extensive impact protection are standard. The car also illuminates its hazard lights automatically during heavy braking.

so can we flick the hazard lights while we're braking heavily!?
Old 6th February 2010, 14:57   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
In such a situation, was wondering if flashing the hazards briefly, to warn the tailgater that you are going to brake and slow down significantly, would work? Not talking of whether it is correct or not - it isn't - but whether it could help avoid gettiing hit. A better alternative may be to stick your hand out upwards but that again takes time if your window is rolled up.
IMO, using the hand signal would be more effective, as most drivers are aware of this indication. I am not sure whether the guy tailgating would be aware of what is indicated by the hazard warning. Whereas chances are high that he knows the hand signal. Yes, as you said, it takes more time if window is rolled up.

For the driving license learner's test, every applicant is expected to demonstrate these hand signals. At least that is what I did years ago in Bangalore, for my learner's license test.
Old 6th February 2010, 15:02   #109
BHPian

^Here in Saudi, almost everyone does that. If you're breaking hard, or there's a jam on the highway, everyone turns on they're hazards. Will try clicking a pic next time.
Old 6th February 2010, 22:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
My mom was going for driving classes in Tuticorin. The instructor told her that if the vehicle behind her wants to overtake, she should use her indicators to indicate that he can go. Right being that he can go ahead, left, asking him not to overtake. .
The above thing is true when you are driving on a highway at the night and it can also be used in the day time driving.

Quote:
Wierd man i'd say.
So when we return to the institute, i tell him that what he said was wrong and he could look up the internet and correct himself. But then , the old man was very short tempered. He bursts out, saying he's got 35 yrs driving experience, and that i was too small (was not even 18 then) to know anything about cars. I told him to go to hell and walked out. Never did i let my mom go to him and learn after that.
The instructor has given a advise and if you do not know about those advise correctly then you need to take it and not doing the above things highlighted.
Old 7th February 2010, 02:29   #111
BHPian

With all due respect Mr gowda79, i've been in a country called Saudi Arabia all my life. I've done Saudi to Dubai, which is around 1000 kms, 4 times, including numerous other road trips, not just in Saudi but in other countries too. Hongkong, Thailand and even our very own India. Not even once have i seen this being practiced. And if you are right, then they should be used only on highways, and not inside the city, which the instructor never mentioned. His fault.

Now, i've got a doubt, which i'd like you to clarify.
I'm on a highway, there's a car behind me and one on front. What does one usually do?
Turn on the right indicator, and move to the right track, overtake and back to your track. Now going as per what you and the instructor say, if my right indicator is turned on, im asking the guy behind me to overtake, when i actually want to overtake. Conflicting?
An indicator is used to indicate an action that you are about to take, and is not used for what you're trying to indicate to the person behind you. If you want to ask the person behind you to overtake, i think it's best you use hand signals.

Last edited by rg_chn : 7th February 2010 at 02:30.
Old 7th February 2010, 06:16   #112
BHPian

Flashing for overtaking.

Quote:
My mom was going for driving classes in Tuticorin. The instructor told her that if the vehicle behind her wants to overtake, she should use her indicators to indicate that he can go. Right being that he can go ahead, left, asking him not to overtake. Wierd man i'd say. He also told her to use Hazards when going straight at a junction. I was at the backseat when he was telling her all this.
I have seen this on the highways. Mostly used by the heavy trucks which won't budge from the right lane or from the middle of the road. When you honk, they flash the turn indicators. A few times I had been waiting for the trucks to take a turn towards the indicated side, Since I did not see any side exits towards the indicated area I had to give the trucks a wide berth and overtake them. Later a trucker told me that it is their practice to give permission to overtake them by flashing the appropriate side indicators. I understand that this is against the traffic rules.

But for your Info. Beware of this kind of signalling on the Highways and be prepared.
Old 7th February 2010, 06:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
IMO, using the hand signal would be more effective, as most drivers are aware of this indication. I am not sure whether the guy tailgating would be aware of what is indicated by the hazard warning. Whereas chances are high that he knows the hand signal. Yes, as you said, it takes more time if window is rolled up.

For the driving license learner's test, every applicant is expected to demonstrate these hand signals. At least that is what I did years ago in Bangalore, for my learner's license test.
You are right. Hand signalling is the best form.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:20   #114
BHPian

Right indicator means only one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
The instructor told her that if the vehicle behind her wants to overtake, she should use her indicators to indicate that he can go. Right being that he can go ahead, left, asking him not to overtake. .

The above thing is true when you are driving on a highway at the night and it can also be used in the day time driving.

The instructor has given a advise and if you do not know about those advise correctly then you need to take it and not doing the above things highlighted.
You are very, very wrong. The right indicator means only one thing, that you are turning right. You cannot use it to tell the car behind you to overtake. It is extremely dangerous. (At least if the left indicator is used for this purpose it might be less wrong). Your advise will cause an accident.

P.S
Sorry to sound rude, but I have seen bus drivers do this in the nights on highways and am very unhappy.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:39   #115
BHPian

^ exactly. I wonder where people get these wierd ideas from.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:51   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
If you have ever driven/ridden in a group you'll know what I'm taking about.
What has driving in a group got to do with this? Again some fundamentals of driving in a group. Be - Aware.

Quote:
Thanks. I fail to understand the "joke", if there is one.
Ok ignore.

Quote:
To sum it up I ain't no saint. If you think you are one, think again.
If having the least amount of commonsense of not to race on public roads on speeds of 100-110 kmph is true then why saint? I am The LORD himself

Quote:
In such a situation, was wondering if flashing the hazards briefly, to warn the tailgater that you are going to brake and slow down significantly, would work?
Best thing to do is judge the persons speed behind you and take off your leg from the accelerator and touch the brake. Let the vehicle slow down on its own the moron behind will slow down too. Continue slowing down but dont jam the brakes. Now let him overtake you.

Best thing to do is get the tailgater of your back as soon as possible before awaiting for a situation to happen.

Quote:
I told him to go to hell and walked out.
Brilliant. And next time spread the word around in your locality to stay away from the driving school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
so can we flick the hazard lights while we're braking heavily!?
Flicking the Hazard lights takes a millisecond for this you need to either take off one hand from the steering wheel to flick it and also a millisecond to look for it. Since its not widely used you may not automatically move towards it subconsciously. The best alternative leave a lot of space between the vehicle infront and yourself and let any tailgating vehicles pass.

Also try and mentally remember your cars braking distance from particular speeds. i.e. can I brake suddenly if the vehicle in front brakes right now? If in doubt slow down and let the distance increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
every applicant is expected to demonstrate these hand signals.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Couple of months back Salem Highway when I was coming back from Coimbatore, a truck did just that but this time he was actually turning right. These guys take a U turn starting from the from the middle lane or left most instead of the right most lane due to the length of their vehicle. So a person who probably thought like you that the truck is giving him way had the bonnet of his brand new Verna prettily stuck below the rear tyres of the above truck.

Please do not give fuel to such absurd indications.

Quote:
and not doing the above things highlighted.
What he did was absolutely correct. That instructors license should be withdrawn and his driving school closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Sorry to sound rude, but I have seen bus drivers do this in the nights on highways and am very unhappy.
Look at the accident mentioned above. The whole road was blocked for 20 mins because the moronic Verna driver thought otherwise. He was probably from the same driving school rg_chn's mother went to

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th February 2010 at 10:53.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What he did was absolutely correct. That instructors license should be withdrawn and his driving school closed down.
How does one get an instructor license? Our government should start becoming strict on issuing these licenses, and should also conduct some sort of signal and road test for these instructors on a regular basis, say like every 3 years or so.
But i guess these guys will always have green papers to get things done their way.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:05   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure how the hazard lights gave you a heads-up or hint here, though you may have the impression they did. If the Accent guy had to brake hard, would he have taken the time to first put on the hazards and then stepped on the brake?

It's more likely to have been the other way round, in which case the brake lights would have flashed first and the hazards would have been unnecessary.
Well believe it or note, it did happen the way I told.
Quote:
What has driving in a group got to do with this? Again some fundamentals of driving in a group. Be - Aware.
No comments.

Quote:
If having the least amount of commonsense of not to race on public roads on speeds of 100-110 kmph is true then why saint? I am The LORD himself
Did I say I'm promoting or endorsing racing on the road ?
I think I did't. I did say its a "mistake" I did.
I'm not justifying my actions. Yes I did something stupid and I know it. I just want yo make sure others don't make the same mistake.

All I'm saying is, I don't thing you are a person who has "never" broken the law. So you are saying about common sense and safe driving as if you are a "saint on the road", get it now ?

So I'm not sure why you are still being sarcastic about what I did.
If you still don't understand it let me say it again.
It was a "mistake" to do it. I hope other folks who have read it don't do something that silly.

If you are being the "lord" you got to have a better sense of humor at-least.
So I doubt it.

Note : Some people on the forum write like they "never" broken any law. Its highly unlikely unless you are a machine. Its human nature to make mistakes and bad decisions. At least have the guts or honesty to say you did something wrong. Its not really right to literally "crucify" the poor chap who admits his mistake. This is not a personal vendetta and not an attempt to make anything "personal". If I did offend someone my sincere apologies.

Last edited by yzfrj : 8th February 2010 at 17:07.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:39   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Note : Some people on the forum write like they "never" broken any law. Its highly unlikely unless you are a machine. Its human nature to make mistakes and bad decisions. At least have the guts or honesty to say you did something wrong. Its not really right to literally "crucify" the poor chap who admits his mistake. This is not a personal vendetta and not an attempt to make anything "personal". If I did offend someone my sincere apologies.
Racing on Public roads is not a mistake its a CRIME. Because its done purposely. Will you report your crime to the RTO and the police?

Honesty and guts to say what?? Will you be honest and report your license saying I was involved in racing on public roads? Lets see your true guts and honesty then.

And yes I have not involved in any crime, but yes I do make mistakes. But not mistakes that can potentially put my life and other innocents life to risk because of my stupidity.

And I am honest and have guts to say that.

Coming back to what started it all. Your friend used hazard lights to warn you when he and you were racing on public roads which might have ended up in some innocent losing his life.

Coming to the topic your reasoning that hazard warning lights helped you save yourself while racing is beyond absurd.

Thats why i said in my previous posts that fundamentals of driving on public roads is zero and then telling us about how hazards saved it for you is like I said absurd to the hilt.

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th February 2010 at 17:45.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:59   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Thats why i said in my previous posts that fundamentals of driving on public roads is zero and then telling us about how hazards saved it for you is like I said absurd to the hilt.
So I guess you can go ahead and report the "CRIME"
Come down to earth will you ? Please.

I'm not sure at what time "innocent" life was at risk when the road was practically empty. Anyways I'm not trying to convince you or justify my actions. You can think or comment whatever and pretend to be the saint and be bone-headed.

Personally I think you have no right to "judge" people, even if you claim you are "lord". You can comment and express your views, no problems there. Its not your job or nor your right to brand others as "criminals".

Sorry, there is no other polite way to say this.

Just for the record, I don't even know who the accent guy is. I've not seen him before I've not seen him after that. All we did was to floor it when we saw an empty road (read 0 cars/bikes/trucks/people/cows/dogs and all that) and this whole "CRIME" lasted for around 600 meters.

I'm using my right to have no further comments.
Thanks.

Last edited by yzfrj : 8th February 2010 at 18:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks