Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 12:38   #61
Ram
Senior - BHPian

One more misuse of the hazard light, not mentioned yet in the thread, thus far.

Drivers, probably new to expressways and tunnels,
switch on their hazard lights instead of their headlamps
while zooming recklessly through the tunnels.

One paranoid schmo turns on his hazards and everybody (including Volvo buses) has to blindly ape it.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:51   #62
BHPian

Once at Cochin, I was asked by a police man to switch on my hazard light since I wanted to go straight through the junction. I was waiting in a side road when he walked up to me and said this. I wanted to tell him it is meant to be used as a hazard light. But then, he would have asked me to get out of the car and show him all the papers. So I simply did what he asked and continued my journey. I wonder why proper training is not given to the people who control traffic. It is NO surprise that ordinary people don't obey the rules.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:00   #63
BHPian

I experienced it in Jagannath Puri near Bhubneshwar. At a junction most of the traffic was turning either to the right or left. My taxi driver used hazard lights to indicate to the traffic police that we wanted to go straight into a road (which was rarely used at it was leading only to some hotels) and then the cop halted traffic and allowed us to pass thru straight.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Once at Cochin, I was asked by a police man to switch on my hazard light since I wanted to go straight through the junction.
Well a similar thing happened to me too at Judges Avenue junction in Cochin. I was on Manapattiparambu road, at the front of the queue without any indicators on. The cop started signalling to me asking where I wanted to go. I had to stick my hand out through the window and indicate that I wanted to go straight. Guess the cops need to be given training first !
Old 12th January 2010, 13:14   #65
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
I think that our cars should be equipped with some more (and possibly colourful) indicators to communicate the following messages.
- I am a local dada / politician / have superiority complex, so (obviously) give way
I have seen many vehicles sporting stickers showing black gown [indicating lawyers], red cross [wrongly indicating doctors], 'Press', just to make the law enforcers think twice before catching them red-handed for any traffic offence!

Another practice of unity in diversity followed in India: if you find a stationary truck/bus/taxi on a highway with a lot of green plants inserted on its front, back and sides, then beware that it has broken down! I found many trucks and buses [including government-owned buses] with red warning triangle fixed on their front!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th January 2010 at 13:19.

Old 12th January 2010, 13:30   #66
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I normally use the hazard lights on the below instances :

When I have to suddenly slow down. The reaction to hazard lights is more instantaneous than a glowing brake light (my opinion).

In expressway tunnels. Headlights do not make much of a difference inside a tunnel during the day. Along with the headlights, its also the brake lights which make a difference to the behind vehicle. Switching on the hazards also increase visibility to the behind vehicle.

In foggy conditions.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

The problem with switching on the hazard light for proceeding straight in a convoy at junctions for without signals is that the guy coming from the left road can see only the left side flashers and would try to cross you which could turn out to be real danger stuff.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

The reaction to hazard lights is more instantaneous than a glowing brake light (my opinion).
That's because the guy behind would have to start thinking what you intend to communicate to him, which is not the case with glowing brake lights !
Old 12th January 2010, 15:11   #69
BHPian

@ longhorn
Did we meet the same cop ? The incident I said happened at Deshabhimani.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:22   #70
BANNED

Quite funny set of posts above. We come up with something that we think will help us avoid situations but unknowingly we are creating dangerous situations for other road users.

Each one has a different use for the hazard lights and everyone else around should know what that is? Are we moving towards total foolishness here?

What do i do next time the moron infront of me turns on his hazards in a perfectly running car?:

Brake?
Look around and see whether I am in a tunnel?
See whether I am at an intersection?
Imagine fog around me?

Hopefully people wake up to "RULES". There is a science behind why indicators and hazard lights need to be used for what they are intended for. Not at every individuals whims and fancies.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th January 2010 at 15:24.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The problem with switching on the hazard light for proceeding straight in a convoy at junctions for without signals is that the guy coming from the left road can see only the left side flashers and would try to cross you which could turn out to be real danger stuff.
Well said. This somehow doesn't seem to get into the head of these cabbies. And now it has spread like swine flu. Guys don't follow the herd, follow the rules. Think before you act. One moron starts this gimmick and we all immediately start imitating him as if we should not be left out. If only these guys started imitating the good things !
Old 12th January 2010, 15:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

So I drive behind him to see whether he repeats the same and Bingo again at the Pizza Hut Signal.

Interesting.

So now, is this something new and have I been doing something wrong by not indicating that I am going straight through? (an oxymoron statement actually).
I wonder how this guys will pass a junction if he is riding the old bajaj super scooter which requires hand signal instead of indicator lights. !..

He may end up doing some kinda PT when he has to go straight in a junction LOL!..
Old 14th January 2010, 11:18   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If you read post 47 by Spitfire your doubt should have been cleared.
I do agree; but when people use the same signals for multiple purposes how do we guess what he means? That was what I meant to convey...
Old 15th January 2010, 09:56   #74
BHPian

Take a chill pill guys..

Using hazard light for going straight is something which I dont do. But again it is only a convention. If the majority of the users insist on this RTO may change the rule and who knows, we may get another indicator with a straight arrow.

When centuries old convention of Tamil new year in April 14th could be changed to Jan 15th at the whims and fancies of one monarch who thinks he is the father of Tamil, any thing can happen in this country..

Nainar
Old 15th January 2010, 11:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

yes, this is a common practice in kerela which i have noticed quite a lot of times.

sometimes, i feel mumbai is more crowded with cars but driving sense & traffic management is so much better here. not just me, this is what many drivers (especially from south) who come to mumbai feels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks