Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 12:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

1) Like someone said, Before a tunnel everyone has to set off those blinkers. Can't understand why ? To let know the width of the vehicle I guess.

2) In a carvan to let the vehicle ahead know that it wants to stop.
If 2 vehicles A and B are travelling back to back and A is ahead and B is following.
Now if B wants to stop for some reason then B will put on the parking lights and
let A know that it wants to stop.

Strange world we live in !
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Correct Use of Hazard Lights???

As all motorists in Northern India would be seeing, there has been heavy fog in the morning for the last 2-3 weeks. However, perhaps only on 1 day (maybe 6-8 Jan) when the fog was so bad that one could not see beyond 10 metres (at around 9AM).

I have been noticing that more and more car owners in Delhi are using blinkers/hazard lights while driving, when a simple `turn on the lights' will do. I have been driving here in Delhi for more than 16 years, and have seen this use of blinkers catching on like an infection so much so that perhaps 30-40% of car drivers do so.

I thought that simple turning on the lights was the correct way. Is this use of blinkers/hazard lights correct. As a person following such cars, it sure is distracting but definitely not hazardous.
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:45   #78
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
As all motorists in Northern India would be seeing, there has been heavy fog in the morning for the last 2-3 weeks. However, perhaps only on 1 day (maybe 6-8 Jan) when the fog was so bad that one could not see beyond 10 metres (at around 9AM).

I have been noticing that more and more car owners in Delhi are using blinkers/hazard lights while driving, when a simple `turn on the lights' will do. I have been driving here in Delhi for more than 16 years, and have seen this use of blinkers catching on like an infection so much so that perhaps 30-40% of car drivers do so.

I thought that simple turning on the lights was the correct way. Is this use of blinkers/hazard lights correct. As a person following such cars, it sure is distracting but definitely not hazardous.

When one car does it, it is a distraction, not hazardous. But when people use it in such large numbers, it is indeed hazardous, in a different way. For example, I would really feel tense if my car stalls for some reason and I am stationary on the road with my hazard lights on, because with visibility low and nearly everyone using hazard lights, the cars coming from behind might think I am moving too before it is too late. Also, it takes away one's ability to use turn indicators, which is crucial for safe driving, more so in low visibility conditions.
As you say, the right way is to turn on the normal lights. I find it ridiculous when I see many people switch on the hazard lights, but not the normal ones.
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Also, it takes away one's ability to use turn indicators, which is crucial for safe driving, more so in low visibility conditions.
Of course the turn indicators do work when one is using hazard lights, but their `signaling ability' is reduced, because the person behind sees two lights blinking.

This problem has increased over the years, and I see many cars in all segments using hazard lights. However commercial cars still have not caught this infection in large numbers.

In a country with higher respect for the law and better enforcement, would this not cause the person to be issued a challan/ticket.

Edit: frankly, except for 1-2 days, I have simply not seen the need for using lights. Of course I leave home at 830-840 AM, which is of course around the time most people do. At that time, on most stretches, I can see quite clearly.

Last edited by vasudeva : 22nd January 2010 at 10:08.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:02   #80
BANNED

Quote:
However commercial cars still have not caught this infection in large numbers.
Thats probably because commercial seldom have all indicators working, and yes, misuse should be strigently dealt with.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:06   #81
BHPian

In Mumbai people turn on the Hazard lights during rains. It makes it impossible for one to know if the car ahead is going to change lanes or turn. Also they use it when they drive thru tunnels on Mumbai Pune Expressway. It is so irritating.

Hazard lights are to be used only when your car becomes a hazard on the road, e.g.
1. Car is stalled on the road.
2. changing a flat tyre while on the road (in a lane where traffic is moving).
3. accidently entering a one way from the wrong direction.
4. taking a 180 deg turn in a narrow lane. Where your car goes back and forth a number of times.

Others may please add to the list.

But to have hazard lights on in a moving car is a bigger hazard.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if i am wrong... but if you turn on normal headlights in fog, won't the light get scattered all over the place and thus hamper the driver's visibility even further? I have seen this back in the day when i used to stay up north.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:22   #83
BHPian

I had a cop pull me once for stopping in a no-parking zone. When I said I'd a call to attend, he suggested that I'm supposed to put the parking lights while doing so.

@Thread-Starter: I watched the delhi story just a few minutes ago; seeing the traffic with hazard lights blinking, the exact same thought came to my mind. Are they safe-guarding themselves from a hazard (fog) or creating one (traffic chaos) themselves.

A serious NO to using the hazard lights for any reason other than indicating a stalled or impaired car.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:29   #84
BHPian

^^^add to above list.

Having to slow down your car suddenly because there is a blockage/accident in front, this signaling tells the driver behind to be cautious.

As pointed out earlier its absolutely unnecessary to switch on hazard lights during rain/fog, it causes confusion for the driver behind. IMO, the traffic dept. should take some steps to educate the public on the proper use of hazard lights.

@amitoj - headlight in low-beam is best for use during fog. But never use high-beam while driving in fog, the light does scatter.

Last edited by harishnair : 22nd January 2010 at 10:46.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
I had a cop pull me once for stopping in a no-parking zone. When I said I'd a call to attend, he suggested that I'm supposed to put the parking lights while doing so.
Was this in India??. OT, a significant proportion of people in India stop anywhere on the road as it pleases them, and drive in any direction as convenient. I have hardly seen any prosecution, except during some traffic weeks, and during Diwali when traffic police needs extra money.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
^^^add to above list.

Having to slow down your car suddenly because there is a blockage/accident in front, this signaling tells the driver behind to be cautious.

+1 to that. How I wish that the drivers be educated about correct usage of hazard lights. It is very irritating for the sheer reason that the hazard lights are difficult to ignore. And what is equaly bad is using fog lamps without fog. Refer - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...thout-fog.html

To my surprise, people do not use fog lamps during fog.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Take a chill pill guys..

Using hazard light for going straight is something which I dont do. But again it is only a convention. If the majority of the users insist on this RTO may change the rule and who knows, we may get another indicator with a straight arrow.

When centuries old convention of Tamil new year in April 14th could be changed to Jan 15th at the whims and fancies of one monarch who thinks he is the father of Tamil, any thing can happen in this country..

Nainar
In our country, changing the law to reflect actual wrong practices is much more likely than enforcing the existing law. Build 3 illegal structures, pay off the MCD, or wait for the Govt to regularise it.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:14   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been noticing that more and more car owners in Delhi are using blinkers/hazard lights while driving, when a simple `turn on the lights' will do. I... have seen this use of blinkers catching on like an infection so much so that perhaps 30-40% of car drivers do so.

The general consensus in most cases is NOT to use the hazard lights in fog, but to use both front foglights plus headlights together, and (where provided) rear fog lamps. The explanation is given below...
Quote:
Make sure that you can be seen. Turn on your fog lights, and make sure your high beams aren't turned on by accident. High beams direct light up into the fog, making it difficult for you to see. Low beams direct light down onto the road and help other drivers to see you. Most European cars have a switch that turns on extra-bright auxiliary rear fog lamps. American and Asian vehicles lack this important safety feature. Don't rely on your parking lights alone: they do little to increase your visibility in daytime fog. Don't use your emergency flasher. Studies have shown that drivers are attracted to flashing lights and tend to drive into them inadvertently.

If you leave the road, be sure to pull off completely. Turn off your driving lights and turn on your flashers so others know you're there but won't think you are driving on the road.

From Driving In Fog - Smart Motorist
Even for cars in India that DO carry high-intensity rear fog lights (such as the Swift, SX4, Ikon, Safari etc.), the drivers never turn them on, and I suspect are not even aware of their existence. And some just drive around with the rear fogs on all the time, though that's supposed to be illegal in some countries.
Quote:
But remember it's an offence to use high-intensity rear foglights in clear conditions (that is, if visibility is greater than 100 metres).

From http://www.2pass.co.uk/fog.htm
However, there is one website which recommends that the hazard blinkers be turned on in fog - even if there are high-intensity rear fog lights fitted. An US website.
Quote:
...make sure the lights on your car are lit. And by that we mean the low beams, the front fog lights, the rear fog lamp and even the emergency lights. Turning the emergency lights on is recommended, as they are more visible even than the fog lights, due to both the blinking and the way in which the light diffusers are made.

From Driving through Fog - Guide for a Safe Return - autoevolution
Personally, I find other cars' hazard lights blinking to be a minor irritant during short drives, with an extemely mesmeric effect when following such lights over long distances on the highway - in which case I back off and let the other car disappear into the fog ASAP.

You decide...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd January 2010 at 11:21.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hi firends,

It is irritating seeing some drivers are blinking all the blinkers,when they come on the one way. Already they are violating the rule and again make every body to get puzzle by blinkers.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw the exact same behavior near DND(Noida)

a guy going straight at the traffic light turned his car's hazard lights on and went straight.

He was the only one to do so and I could see that the other drivers around were confused!
but since I had been through this thread, I knew what he was trying to say!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks