Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 15:50   #16
BHPian

@jerrycan,

Does these type of incidents not happen in Delhi / NCR with non hindi people?
Old 18th January 2010, 16:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ranjan, very sorry to hear about your experience. During the nights the areas in & around kagadasapura are filled with drunkards in the lowly bars and surrounding the roadside eateries.

What you did at that time was really appreciable on your part. One thing as pointed out was, if you had insisted that the locals call the police and if you had called your friends to the spot itself, you could have avoided the hassle of waiting in the hospital till the drunkards friend came over to claim him.

PS: Was the drunkard wearing a helmet..??
Old 18th January 2010, 16:21   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Its not fair to say "learn the local language". for god sake we are one Nation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Gosh, what do they have against hindi speakers?!
Well, to begin with, it was an extremely bad and uncalled for incident for absolutely no fault of yours. Just forget it and move on.
Coming to the "One Nation" part and the advantage of knowing the local language, it is invaluable, not just in Bangalore, but in any other part of the world. This "thing" of being a "Local" is universally applicable and is unfortunately of great importance as well. Be it Australia,Delhi, Bangalore or some small hamlet somewhere.

Sad, but terrifyingly true.
Old 18th January 2010, 16:26   #19
BANNED

Thank you guys for your support.. Hail T-BHP!!

I am staying here from past 6 years, and wasn't able to learn more than "Illa" and "Illi" Kannada is not my cup up tea. Moreover, I don't have much of local friends, that would be of the 1000 reasons for me not able to learn the language!

The police thingy did not come in my mind, it only came once I reached the hospital, and after seeing the guy's condition, I thought of not putting him in more problems... whatever he had, was enough to teach him a good lesson.

The drunkard wasn't wearing a Helmet and I did the same mistake

But Seriously, it is not fair to force someone to learn the local language to prove himself a citizen of India. The hooligans (Not all) treat people who speak on 'Hindi' as prisoners coming from North, spoiling South (which they own).

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Coming to the "One Nation" part and the advantage of knowing the local language, it is invaluable, not just in Bangalore, but in any other part of the world. This "thing" of being a "Local" is universally applicable and is unfortunately of great importance as well.
I have stayed in Mumbai for a year or so, and I found people in Mumbai are the most helpful people I have ever come across so far. I remember I was standing in Colaba with a chit in my hand and a bit confused about the address, I ask 1 person and 5 come to help.

Mumbai

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th January 2010 at 18:38. Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old 18th January 2010, 16:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
....The drunkard wasn't wearing a Helmet and I did the same mistake..
Well, I guess you thought like many others who feel that if they are riding to the nearby store which is at the end of the road, they dont need a helmet.
You have learned your lesson albeit the hard way. So please wear a helmet the next time you take out your bike.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:01   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Mumbai
I m glad you met the right kind of people at Mumbai who made your stay memorable and there such in every city. I can narrate with proof an instance where my friend's brother who is from UP was literally dragged and beaten in Mumbai for no fault of his other than his language and being a non Marathi.

Lets not make this city/state/country specific. It makes no sense.
There are good and bad people everywhere.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:13   #22
BHPian

This is not the case only with Kaggadasapura, but almost all parts of Bangalore and it is not only hindi speaking people that are targetted. Most jobless/drunkards/policemen try to take advantage of the non-locals. When you are driving, just compare the number of TN and AP vehicles to the number of KA vehicles that are pulled over.

The police are the worst of the categories i mentioned because they are PAID to protect us from such elements and they are the ones who help such people in fleecing us.

-Pallavi
Old 18th January 2010, 17:17   #23
BHPian

Sad that this happened with you, but glad that the damage was limited.

Yeah, In India, many a times, even if it is not your mistake, you have to pay for it (and I don't mean only monetarily).

Quote:
I have stayed in Mumbai for a year or so, and I found people in Mumbai are the most helpful people I have ever come across so far. I remember I was standing in Colaba with a chit in my hand and a bit confused about the address, I ask 1 person and 5 come to help.

Mumbai
Lets not go out off topic, it is not about which city is more helpful. There are helpful people in every city. It is just one's luck what kind of people you meet.

Ranjan, I understand when you say Kannada is not your cup of tea. It is not possible for everyone to learn any language. I can speak 4 south indian languages but there is one south indian language I cannot speak though I have a lot of friends who speak that language. So, I understand.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
This is not the case only with Kaggadasapura, but almost all parts of Bangalore and it is not only hindi speaking people that are targetted. Most jobless/drunkards/policemen try to take advantage of the non-locals. When you are driving, just compare the number of TN and AP vehicles to the number of KA vehicles that are pulled over.

The police are the worst of the categories i mentioned because they are PAID to protect us from such elements and they are the ones who help such people in fleecing us.

-Pallavi

Agree with you 100%, i nearly spend a night in the PS because of a drunk kanadiga picking up a fight with my friends at forum, and no prizes in guessing this guy was not even picked from there, and the locals had let him go and insted decided to take us in.

Pramod
Old 18th January 2010, 17:18   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
There are good and bad people everywhere.
You are right it is everywhere. However, it is acceptable to get beaten up or killed if it is your fault. Not a good thing to be thrashed if you are a non-local.

I hope a huge percentage of India's population joins T-BHP, the amount of kicks and punches will decrease for NOT being a local.

Hence, Mods should be a bit liberal in accepting the membership, mine was accepted at the fourth time.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Agreed, you can't learn every local language, but just learn a few words which are most commonly used.
Even if you know a little bit of the local language, by the time you finish speaking the first word everyone will realise you're not a local by your accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I would have preffered to tell the local people who were shouting at you to call the police.
I think in the situation he was in, no local would have bothered listening to him at all. Probably would have got more angry if he spoke a little more hindi.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:48   #27
BHPian

you mean COREX not KOLEX, north indian at 12 in the night, something does not seem right, Why corex?/
Old 18th January 2010, 18:10   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
you mean COREX not KOLEX, north indian at 12 in the night, something does not seem right, Why corex?/
It is KOLEX - a Tablet, it contains Phenylpropanolamine Hcl., Paracetamol, Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide & Cetririzine tablets

BTW, a North Indian cant have a Corex? lol.. why?
Old 18th January 2010, 18:31   #29
BHPian

I have seen this kind of discrimination a lot off late. I am not sure what irks the public so much just for not being a local, just as some one put it right: it is like the guy with the bigger vehicle is always right! There's nothing much that you can do but to stand tall, that is the only way my friend got out:
An accident involving him and another chap. My friend, a not so hot-blooded chap spoke in hindi and one person from the mob attacked him. This was at 6 PM on a working day near KR Puram bridge 3 yrs back and it was totally the other guy's fault. My friend was pretty alert and hit a good one back and so the others left off by the time me and another friend of mine reached there. I know that this is wrong, but the old saying sometimes holds good: Attack is the best form of defense.

There's nothing wrong in roaming around at 12 in the night even if not for emergencies. I am sorry for what happened. Being a bangalorean I feel disgusted because of these kind of people.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Good that you are safe and sound. I feel you should have called the police and handed the drunkard over to them.

Also, keep the phone number of local police station handy. They may make a few bucks on the side but in the process they will ensure that the crowd does not harm you.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I would have called the police immediately or atleast after reaching the hospital and realising the guy was drunk. No matter what nuisance it would be, it always helps to keep the record straight.

You never know if this guy comes back with his gang of goons claiming that you banged into his bike. Keep the police informed, especially when you don't belong to that place and have no local support is the most important thing.
+2 to that.

A friend of mine knocked down a careless cyclist in his swift & the cyclist was badly wounded & had to spend several weeks at the hospital. My friend not only got him admitted to the hospital, but paid about 5K. My friend still lodged a complaint with police, though the cyclist's family compromised. Result - He'd to pay 3K to the court as fine apart from "miscellaneous" expenses. But no fear of any threat from the cyclist or his family for the rest of his life. That was our take from his accident.

Ranjan, wish you a speedy recovery on both mentally & physically. I appreciate about how you handled things, atleast, when the crowd pushed you to auto, you thoughtfully picked up your bike keys. When the Doctors said that he was drunk, you still didn't call up the cops. Good, but, as OSS rightly said, that could've been the worst case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks