Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 20:58   #1
BHPian

Caught in a street race between two monsters (A Bentley & A Lamborghini)

Hi guys,

I had been away to the family farmhouse and on the way back I was driving thru Palm beach road. I was in My zen driving at a constant speed of around 100km/hr. Now my drive bein in a Zen I was very conciously not exceeding the speed. My car was fully occupied with 4 passengers. For those of you not aware about mumbai, Palm beach road is one of the better levelled and maintained roads in mumbai.

Suddenly I hear a loud grumble and my heart beat shot up dunno why. It was just the grumble was really loud. Instinctively I lookoed in the rear view mirror and both the orvms and I couldnt see anything , but I could still hear the loud grumble, like hearing an aircraft taking off from a distance. There was medium traffic on the road so there were a few blind spots when I looked in the rear view.

This time when I look in the left hand ORVM I see a bentley Conti GT or Flying spur cosing in fast on my left side and its speed must be atleast 120-140km/hr. Now let me tell you guys that i had been living in the UK for a couple of years and I have seen enough super cars at high speeds on the national highways that I wouldnt ususally give a second look to a super car zooming. Dont get me wrong here guys, for a person like me whose best owned car is a Linea owining even a 3 series is a dream. My only point here is that I have had my feed of super cars to such a level that although I would be awed by any car, even my Zen makes me awe sometimes, all I meant was a bentley zooming by is not a new sight but this was very different. No offence to any car owner on this forum.

There are many who have bentleys on this forum and there are many those who have seen one in person, so you know how intimidating and scary it can be to see a gt/flying spur zooming towards you in the mirror.

The bentley zooms by from the left at the same moment I hear the same grumble on my right this time I looked to the right and I see (believe me guys) a Lamborghini .The roar is loud. Like standing in front of a blasting speaker. I think the lamborghini was a LP 640( it was a hardtop i guess) .This one was barely 3-4 ft away from my car.

This car zooms by on the right and both the cars keep going on racing each other zipping past other cars.

I have more than 10K kms driving and without any accidents,I know its not much but enough to control my car and its enough to know how my car behaves.

For a moment I lost control but regained it immediately. hos of you guys who have heard a super cars engine roar imagine how it feels to be in a Japanese car with 2 powerful cars roaring besides you at high speeds.

Luckily there was no accident. Both these cars have enough safety features to keep the passengers same from harm(though not from dying). But not all cars have the same level of stability and safety features and more importantly some one might lose control of his car if such a thinngs happens all of a sudden. This episode happened around 3 pm today afternoon and all this lasted for barely 5-6 seconds before the cars were out of sight so no images. The bentley was white where as the lambo was yellowish orange kinds.

People should realise that with power comes responsibility.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hi guys,

I had been away to the family farmhouse and on the way back I was driving thru Palm beach road. I was in My zen driving at a constant speed of around 100km/hr.

People should realise that with power comes responsibility.
Palm beach road has max speed limit of 80 KMPH only. Driving there at 100 KMPH is a crime in first place.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh cmon Star Vegabond,

We all break the speed limit. I'm sure even you do. It's nothing to be proud of, but for once, someone was honest on the forum. Let's not crucify him for that!!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2010, 21:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

what colour was the lambo ?
Old 21st February 2010, 21:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Oh cmon Star Vegabond,

We all break the speed limit. I'm sure even you do. It's nothing to be proud of, but for once, someone was honest on the forum. Let's not crucify him for that!!
Hi Nikhil, I am not crucifying anyone. I am just stating a fact

someone who is driving at constant 100 KMPH on a 80 KMPH should not have problems with some one who is driving at 120-140KMPH on the same road.

in India, we always want to apply rules to others, but when it comes to us, oh..come on..

i am only worried about this syndrome, If more and more people start doing this, then rule books remain you know where..

Results are anyway concequences of our own actions.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 21st February 2010 at 21:50.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:51   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Those drivers must be more worried of scratching such beauties on a road like Palmbeach. I'd have loved to sit in a tempo bang in between both doing 30 kmph.
Anyway it is scary. I got sandwiched between two cops in Florida once when they were chasing a suspect. On a 30 mph road we three were doing 100 mph. The cop behind asked me to just follow the car ahead till the next junction. It was hardly 20 - 30 seconds. But was nerve racking though.
Old 21st February 2010, 22:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can own a Ferrari or a McLaren but public streets are not a place to race or show muscle. Period.
The Bentley and the Lambo guys were plain irresponsible.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 21st February 2010 at 22:07.
Old 21st February 2010, 22:07   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
someone who is driving at constant 100 KMPH on a 80 KMPH should not have problems with some one who is driving at 120-140KMPH on the same road.
He is not complaining of people driving at 140 KMPH. He is complaining about people racing each other on a public road.

YOu can drive at 140; you may be racing at 40 KMPH.
Old 21st February 2010, 22:57   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
He is not complaining of people driving at 140 KMPH. He is complaining about people racing each other on a public road.

+1 to that. When people start driving rash at those high speeds and tail gate you, try moving all around you, bully you, it's altogether a different thing.

I get very frustrated when I drive on the pune - mumbai expressway on friday evenings/ sunday evenings. Go on any lane and try to keep 80 - 90, you are hounded by qualis, safari, scorpio, innova kind of vehicles who are inches behind your bumper honking like mad and revving their engines and using the dipper. Now I simply avoid friday nights on that road. It's early saturday morning.
Once a moron tried bullying me on the Madap tunnel from behind. All the lanes are full and I'm unable to move to the slower lanes. This moron on a pajero tries to honk like crazy and squeeze between me and the tunnel wall and there by push me out. I was doing 120 already.
I found a small opening and I immediately hit the gas and till the next toll, I did 140 after overtaking the cluster of vehicles and got free road. Once I crossed the tunnel, I moved to the rest area and sat there for an hour to chill.
Can be pretty frightening especially when you have a baby on board.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

That is his view, from their view, they are individuals trying drive at 140 KMH and and NOT racing, they do not care, what others are doing they are simply on a late evening drive and enjoying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
+1 to that. When people start driving rash at those high speeds and tail gate you, try moving all around you, bully you, it's altogether a different thing.
from a perspective of a speed gun kept on the highway, all three are committing a crime i.e. overspeeding.

i am just trying to say this. who committed first is not the question.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 21st February 2010 at 23:10.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:21   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is his view, from their view, they are individuals trying drive at 140 KMH and and NOT racing, they do not care, what others are doing they are simply on a late evening drive and enjoying it

from a perspective of a speed gun kept on the highway, all three are committing a crime i.e. overspeeding.

i am just trying to say this. who committed first is not the question.
That's why in US, they always catch the guy who leads the pack. I've seldom been caught going second or third in a pack at high speeds.
And in UK, every moron slows down just before the speed cam!
And my friend once got fined for holding up traffic on I95 north. He was doing 72 mph on a 70 mile speed limit route, holding back a hundred cars.
He paid a fine of 60 USD.
And in US, if you are sandwiched between such rash drivers, one calls 911 and immediately asks for even air support!
It's a pity that we are still in a primitive age.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:41   #12
BHPian

Easier said than done.

Quote:
Palm beach road has max speed limit of 80 KMPH only. Driving there at 100 KMPH is a crime in first place.

I know what you are saying Star. But in mumbai try maintaining the speed limit and the cars behind you start flashing the upper beam at you or honk all the way. Just an example, i always maintain my speed at 50km/hr on the worli sealink as thats the permitted limit. Everytime I do that I get flashed and honked all the way till I reach bandra and at bandra most of the cars roll down their windows to abuse for going so slow. Nowhere do I mean to justify what I did was right travellin at 100km/hr but I experienced it so Im telling you it was not am casual evening drive for sure. It was more of a car race from the fast and furious. Cheers.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:43   #13
BHPian

Yellow lambo and white bentley was it? Saw these racing at Amby this morning
Old 21st February 2010, 23:51   #14
BHPian

color of the lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
what colour was the lambo ?
Hi Rev- Tech the color of the lambo was yellowish orange kinds. I was too stunned to observe the exact colour. Thanks.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:56   #15
BHPian

small world

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Yellow lambo and white bentley was it? Saw these racing at Amby this morning
Good you mentioned it nik. The way they were racing im sure they must have done amby to mumbai atleast a couple of times today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks