Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 16:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
This rule can be ammended such that any of the Petrol bunk/Service personnel would accompany the person who is in need of the fuel and refuel the tank incase of emergency.
It would be really tough for the people to push the tons weight car near the fuel pump.
Major precaution is to keep in mind, to have atleast am ample amount of fuel presence before any trip. Also, I have personally seen traffic authorities checking for fuel levels of two wheelers at Hubli.
The Petrol pump that supplies petrol through other means can be legally liable if the petrol is used for purposes of crime (arson, molotov cocktails etc). In serious cases Petrol Pump licenses can be cancelled and the owner prosecuted.

The rule makes a lot of sense in India given the nature of problems we have had.

I ran out of petrol once and I was like 200 metres from the Petrol pump. Walked up to the pump, asked them to help me out. They sent a guy with a can of petrol and those conical filters.

Who's mistake is it if we run out of petrol? And then why blame the Petrol pump for doing his duty and staying within the law

Its more of a norm to supply petrol/diesel in cans in the rural areas. I've got it many a time for tractors/diesel generators etc.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:49   #32
BHPian

On a similar note, I was denied petrol at the BPCL petrol pump on NH4 at Rannebennur (Karnataka) - reason given was that - they have orders not to dispense petrol after midnight - and I would have to wait till 6.00 am !! Diesel however was available! This happened around 2 am on the 4th of March or so.

I drove on and filled fuel later at Shiggaon. However I still don't get the logic!
Old 24th March 2010, 17:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

In Shell petrol bunks in Bangalore, they give their own containers for a deposit of some 250 Rs. The container is made of metal and is enclosed in a wooden box. I once used this, and returned the can some 2 weeks later, and they didn't ask anything about the purchase date and all. They just gave me the money back.

And, as far as I know, some countries have the rule that the cops can give you a ticket if your car stalls on the road after running out of fuel. Isn't that good? I mean, shouldn't a driver be aware of the amount of fuel in the car, and fill up when the remaining fuel isn't sufficient to cover, say, less than 50 - 60 kms?
(I guess we can excuse those whose cars do not have fuel level indicators :-D )

Last edited by rohanjf : 24th March 2010 at 17:07.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:04   #34
BHPian

it is definitely a rule. in fact was working a leading pvt sector refiner and we had our own fuel station. in one or two cases i also came up with same issue and was refused the fuel by attendants (though after calling their boss got it )
Old 24th March 2010, 18:25   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol melts some plastics. Can it be carried in the bottles sold with water in them?
Old 24th March 2010, 18:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Petrol melts some plastics. Can it be carried in the bottles sold with water in them?
When I was "reviving" my Kinetic Honda, I used a 1 litre Bisleri bottle (or was it Aquafina?) to get petrol from the IOC near opposite Adyar Telephone exchange.
Old 24th March 2010, 19:36   #37
BHPian

the rule

Read Welcome to Ministry of Petroleum&Natural Gas

Extract:

1. Short title and commencement-
The rules may be called the Petroleum Rules, 1976.
They shall come into force on the Ist day of August, 1976.
2. Definitions- In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires;-

"Act" means the Petroleum Act, 1934 (30 of 1934);
"container" means a receptacle for petroleum not exceeding 1,000 litres in capacity.

3. Restriction on delivery and despatch of petroleum-

No person shall deliver or despatch any petroleum to anyone in India other than the holder of a storage licence issued under these rules or his authorized agent or a port authority or railway administration or a person who is authorized under the Act to store petroleum without a licence.
4. Approval of containers-

Containers exceeding one litre in capacity for petroleum Class A and five litres in capacity for petroleum Class B or petroleum Class C. shall be of a type approved by the Chief Controller.
Where the approval of the Chief Controller is sought to a type or con- tainer not previously approved, an application accompanied by twelve copies of a drawing thereof to scale showing the design, materials to be used, the method of construction and capacity of the container together with two sample containers and a fee of rupees fifty for scrutiny shall be submitted to the Chief Controller.
Nothing in sub-rules (1) and (2) shall apply to containers in the possession of the Defences Forces of the Union.
5. Containers for petroleum Class A-

Containers for petroleum Class A shall be constructed of tinned, galvanised or externally rust-proofed sheet iron or steel and be of a type approved by the Chief Controller.
The containers shall be so constructed and secured as not to be liable except under circumstances of gross negligence or extraordinary accident to become defective, leaky or insecure in transit and they shall be kept in proper repair.
The containers shall have well-made filling aperture which shall be fitted with well fitting and secure air tight screw plugs of screw caps or other caps.
Containers made of sheet iron or steel shall have the following thickness of metal :
The capacity of any container, other than those approved by the Chief Controller for specified purposes, shall not exceed 300 litres.
An air space of not less than 5 per cent. of its capacity shall be kept in each container.
The container shall bear a stamped, embossed or painted warning exhibiting in conspicuous characters the words "Petrol" or "Motor Spirit" or an equivalent warning of the highly inflamable nature of the petroleum.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:25   #38
BHPian

I never heard such a rule in Kerala too. well never went to get petrol in a bottle at 4 am. It is totally insane. what is the point in this. A petrol terrorist can get fuel in a car or bike, then what is the point in prohibiting bottle. Were you in your native place when this happened, maybe they were reluctant to give to outsiders or something.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:19   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Dude the incident happened in Pune not in Goa.
I am quite sure Baga is in Goa. Is there a Baga in Pune too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Yeah they are sold like that at Baga. I talked to them in Marathi and all man, they were not ready to budge. Not the cops not the petrol pump guys. I was ready to bribe then 500 rupees for 50 rupees worth of fuel just to save my dignity.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 25th March 2010 at 12:24.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Also, I have personally seen traffic authorities checking for fuel levels of two wheelers at Hubli.
Oh is it? What is the reason behind it?
Old 25th March 2010, 14:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
During college days tried collecting petrol from my friend's bike
in the plastic cup that fountain pepsi vendors use.

It melted in no time.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Guess the petrol pump guy was right then. The problem is we get used to non-conformance without knowing, then if someone follows the rule we are irked.
Old 26th March 2010, 03:54   #43
BHPian

In Bangalore, there are no such problems. In fact, a liter of petrol costs a little more than 50 bucks here and I regularly see motorcycles filling fuel for 20 bucks and 25 bucks. Many places in other parts of India I am sure will refuse to fill for such paltry amounts. Fuel is also freely dispensed in bottles when asked for nicely and in the local language. Yes, there is an archaic rule regarding fuel storage and not buying in approved containers, etc. By the way, how come your car ran out of fuel?

What I do is simple. Fill the tank, and when the fuel gauge reaches the quarter mark, fill again. That way I am sure I never run out. I lef it go below the quarter mark only when it is nearing time for servicing, because from experience we all know how our fuel is used by the service guys, usually the unorganized sector guys. MUSS and others usually have a car intake form where the fuel levels, tools, extra fittings, mileage, etc are recorded. Anyhow, a lesson in this for all concerned to be more careful on fuel levels.
Old 26th March 2010, 10:50   #44
BHPian

This has happened to me too in Pune. I was denied fuel in a plastic bottle, but when I mentioned how far my bike was (never had my car run out of fuel! I am too cautious about that ) he asked me to wait a few mins and after filling up some vehicles put in fuel worth Rs25 in it.

Also in case you are ever stranded near Uni/Pashan, there is a garage which will sell you 250ml petrol right at pashan circle. Of course that is no use at 4am!
Old 26th March 2010, 14:23   #45
BHPian

There are instructions to strictly enforce ban on selling the petrol unless vehicle is present at the petrol station. This has been issued in Maharashtra by the police based on linkage to terrorism. There was a newsreport sometime during last one month. I will try to search on net for any links.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks