Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Denied petrol in bottle after my car ran out.

This is absolutely insane. My car ran out of petrol for the first time ever. Its was all fun and games at that time, left a couple of friends in the car because I knew the pump was not far, just took a rickshaw to the nearest pump to discover that they will not sell petrol to me. Tried 3 more pumps. Tried asking the COPS to help me, they absolutely refused and suggested that I either push my car to the pump or abandon it till daytime (this was at 4AM).

I want to discuss this with everyone why does this rule exist? Who made this rule? And its more then obvious if anyone wants petrol they can source it easily. And the only thing I think it would be good for (in form of a weapon) is molotov cocktail or something, but wouldn't it just be easier for the petrol terrorists to buy a bottle of cheap whiskey instead? This is insane.

I am seriously considering a RTI.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:38   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
This is absolutely insane. My car ran out of petrol for the first time ever. Its was all fun and games at that time, left a couple of friends in the car because I knew the pump was not far, just took a rickshaw to the nearest pump to discover that they will not sell petrol to me. Tried 3 more pumps. Tried asking the COPS to help me, they absolutely refused and suggested that I either push my car to the pump or abandon it till daytime (this was at 4AM).

I want to discuss this with everyone why does this rule exist? Who made this rule? And its more then obvious if anyone wants petrol they can source it easily. And the only thing I think it would be good for (in form of a weapon) is molotov cocktail or something, but wouldn't it just be easier for the petrol terrorists to buy a bottle of cheap whiskey instead? This is insane.

I am seriously considering a RTI.
It has something to do with hoarding of petrol and selling in black market.
A friend of mine had a similar situation. A good samaritan biker, offered to fill his own tank with petrol and gave my friend a ride back to his car, where they used a pipe to transfer petrol. The guy said he had been stuck before and someone helped him in a similar fashion.
Did not take any money!

Last edited by genesis : 23rd March 2010 at 21:40.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes I essentially ended up with this nice man helping me out with his Bike but this is insane, what illegal selling of petrol in the black market? And would people buy it in bisleri bottles at 4 AM to make a profit over a litre? It doesnt make any sense.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, it also implies that you can still hoard petrol and sell it in the black market if you have access to / the use of a car or bike !

Last edited by kannan666 : 23rd March 2010 at 21:53.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Heck never heard of this rule. This is absolutely ridiculous. All the more reason to keep your at least half full.

And, thank god you were with your friends and not family.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

I never knew about this rule. My brother always keeps a can filled with petrol back in my native palce as the petrol bunks are far away.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure in Banglore, but nothing like this here in NCR, I regularly buy Petrol in jerrycan for my generator
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

You will find this rule strictly enforced in UK, but it is because petrol can only be purchased in an approved container --- which the he petrol station will, of course, sell you!
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Quickdraw, IIRC there is a rule that says you can buy petrol only in approved containers - i.e, Jerrycans made for storing fuel.

Quote:
genesis : It has something to do with hoarding of petrol and selling in black market.
@genesis : hoarding how much - a bottle of petrol ?
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:18   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
It has something to do with hoarding of petrol and selling in black market.
We have this rule in Goa for the same reason. However if you show your RC they have to give you petrol in a bottle or can. It's 4 litres for a Car and 1 litre for a bike. I'm sure the same rule has to be applicable all over India. Even if it is not just tell the pump guy that you are entitled to it as per rule number so and so, sub paragraph 3.2 etc etc or whatever you can think off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Not sure in Banglore, but nothing like this here in NCR, I regularly buy Petrol in jerrycan for my generator
Not sure about this as most of the Generators in Goa run on diesel and you can buy as much diesel as you like in a can. (people use 200 litre drums to transport diesel to trawlers and locations where generators are installed).

Last edited by Live To Jive : 23rd March 2010 at 22:21.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

strange
were u carrying glass bottle?
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:28   #12
BHPian

I think it has to do with the law and order situation. The town where I studied used to be a communal hot spot. Whenever there was an incident, the cops used to issue directives to the pumps not to dispense petrol in containers. You are located in Pune? If so, I guess, the recent blasts might be the reason.

There is not much logic in that line of reasoning of the police, though.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think it's to due to the fact that petrol can be used to make petrol bombs, can be used in arson and looting etc - not really from a hoarding perspective.

I've been given petrol though in a bisleri bottle in Bangalore.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore only shell wont give you petrol in bottles.
Other bunks usually give. My friends bike ran out of fuel once and I had taken a pepsi bottle to a near by bunk. They filled it up without any problems.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ Live To Jive I never heard such a rule in Goa. In fact I have seen tourists bikes running out of petrol and they somehow manage to reach petrol pump and come back with petrol in 1 ltr bottle!!

Apart from that petrol is commonly available in Goa, people keep petrol in mineral water bottles for sale

@quickdraw, buddy did you ask them in local language? Believe me it does make lot of difference

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks