Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 23:58   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Not just IBM. So maybe you can remove IBM from there. Every god damned company has outsourced. Yesterday, a cab operating for Amdocs goes at 20 kmph on mundhwa kharadi bypass in pune and keeps meandering all around not letting anyone overtake. Finally when I managed to squeeze pass after 20 minutes of trailing, I notice the moron driver holding a mobile to his ear.
Most of these cab drivers take calls on the fly as well. That adds to the chaos they already create. Better take the car number and file an FIR and get compensation that way. No use in proceeding through IBM.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:50   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOwl View Post
Once this reaches some of the influential people in IBM, trust me the local political lobby cant do anything. This will reach the government at the central. What I need are the names. I have already started my search through some folks I know. But if anybody in here knows better please do pm me the employee details.
Baldowl your handle is funny.

Anyways, I talked to a person in IBM I know and asked him to read the thread. This person is not from transport department, but good enough to shake these people if required.

This is what he said

Quote:
All I can say is "High Hopes" Nothing of this sort is going to happen. Accidents like these happen daily with the drivers, and the company/vendor can not do anything since these cab drivers have a union of their own
Old 28th April 2010, 03:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
This is what he said
Quote:
All I can say is "High Hopes" Nothing of this sort is going to happen. Accidents like these happen daily with the drivers, and the company/vendor can not do anything since these cab drivers have a union of their own
If this is the attitude of the company then what God save us and them. Do they want the public to take matters on their own hands? Well, if that is the case then what options one have if similar things happens to anyone? I mean, the cab service is run by some politician, the Police won't do anything, the Company is helpless. So what else is left? Taking the law into our own hands? Where are we heading? I don't think that these cab guys have a proper union, they only know to gang up. And if one can put the pressure on the right point he can sure get justice.

And to the OP, I know what you might be feeling, but please don't make a sweeping statement for all the IBM employees. That's also not right.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2010, 09:05   #19
mkh
Senior - BHPian

cab menace

The menace that is called the cab is a much larger issue than just this isolated case. Surely the companies that use these services are also at fault, as they are not paying a lot of attention to keep checks on the way these drivers operate on the roads. All companies infact have transport vendors and they have unskilled, untrained wild guys who run amok on the roads. This needs to be addressed at a larger forum, i think just like a few years back all were waiting for a murder to happen, to start taking serious action, this time around too unless something big happens to catch the attention of authorities, these killing machines will run free on our roads.
All i do is keep away from these animals. I tried calling microsoft complaint cell once, no reply at all. Even my own company has cabs, and i see the way drivers at times behave, its pathetic.
Only way out- serious action by authorities and by companies. Take the guys licence away if found guilty. Take serious tests to see if the guys even know basic driving. Ensure speed governers are installed and working!
Hope actions are taken before someone suffers badly at their hands
Old 28th April 2010, 11:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately these guys (operators) are well connected. And the drivers know that. That gives them an additional shot in the arm along with the existing wings. Once you know there are people to bail you out, people create everyone else as low lives. There is even political pressure to renew contracts. (This was a while back).

So since all are hand in glove, lets see what we can do. Refuse to use services
of a particular driver once found rash and irresponsible. It is your life afterall. Once people refuse there is little any kind of contacts can do.

My company hired an Innova for me from BIAL to office once and I found the driver very very sedate. The company was Hertz. He was on time, polite and never exceeded 80 kmph.

I think companies should tie up with such professionals for employee transportation. Albeit expensive but sure enough to pump ethics and professionalism into these goons.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 28th April 2010 at 11:30.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Feel sorry for your loss in this incident - But, such morons are everywhere - I don't think IBM is anywhere involved in this mess - and neither is it something specific to IBM. As a rule of thumb, most yellow plates perform in a similar manner and are equally dangerous - be it be taxis operated by IT/ BPO companies OR private taxis, contract busses or city busses - I see yellow plate as a sign of danger and am extra cautious in dealing with it on the road.

Last edited by bbkp : 28th April 2010 at 11:38. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 30th April 2010, 21:34   #22
BHPian

Hi All,
I think thread owner has raised a very interesting point about reckless positions various sections of our society are turning into--whether it is politicians or govt. officials or cab drivers of almost all companies in Bangalore and elsewhere in India. Why can't Nasscom, with it technical expertise and guardian position, make some strick rules for all IT / BPO companies.
Eg:
1) Make a unique ID for all IT / BPO cabs whose database is there with NASSCOM.
2) This ID when decoded would tell us details of the cab. This ID has to be pasted on CAB like a vehicle number.
3) Each company who hires the cab has to update NASSCOM about its association with this Unique ID and vendor/driver details.
4) This way all the law enforcement agencies can keep an eye on defaulters and blacklist/punish cabs / vendors if they violate the LAW say x times and can check crimes in the city as well related to them.
5) This database can be updated every week.
I know people might have better ideas but somewhere we have to start rather than developing and nurturing bunch of hooligans who think they are next in line to become Indian Idol or Prime minister.
Old 30th April 2010, 21:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi All,
I think thread owner has raised a very interesting point about reckless positions various sections of our society are turning into--whether it is politicians or govt. officials or cab drivers of almost all companies in Bangalore and elsewhere in India. Why can't Nasscom, with it technical expertise and guardian position, make some strick rules for all IT / BPO companies.
Eg:
2) This ID when decoded would tell us details of the cab. This ID has to be pasted on CAB like a vehicle number.
3) Each company who hires the cab has to update NASSCOM about its association with this Unique ID and vendor/driver details.
4) This way all the law enforcement agencies can keep an eye on defaulters and blacklist/punish cabs / vendors if they violate the LAW say x times and can check crimes in the city as well related to them.
I know people might have better ideas but somewhere we have to start rather than developing and nurturing bunch of hooligans who think they are next in line to become Indian Idol or Prime minister.
For that purpose the number plate was enforced on all the vehicles plying on the roads
Now the blackberries seen on all the black fat cop's hands(now dont call me racist..I just hate them to the core..I just hate that corrupt profession) does exaclty that.They punch in the number and they can easily find repeat offenders.But alas all this technology goes waste since their minds are as greased and coated as their palms
Old 30th April 2010, 23:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi All,
Eg:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
For that purpose the number plate was enforced on all the vehicles plying on the roads
Now the blackberries seen on all the black fat cop's hands(now dont call me racist..I just hate them to the core..I just hate that corrupt profession) does exaclty that.They punch in the number and they can easily find repeat offenders.But alas all this technology goes waste since their minds are as greased and coated as their palms

As alter_ego has pointed out, we do not require a redundant system for tracking purpose, the car's license plate which can give us registration information is enough to bring the faulty to justice.
Cab or no cab - if a car violates norms of the road, it should be prosecuted under existing motor vehilces law. Only problem is the 'Enforcement' part.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:33   #25
BHPian

You are correct. But the reason why I was talking about ID is I am referring to IT/BPO cabs database which is accessible to all people involved in IT. So we all know how this driver is and whether your company is doing the right thing to hire them. And asking some govt. department which is epitome of corruption to do their job honestly is like asking semians to walk straight and inline, you can use the existing system to check the details of the car and you shall find it is as antiquated and not updated as Noah's ark and they have no threshhold to check the repeat offenders as well for the reason well know to all in universe.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Its a catch22 and solution is not as simple as it seems.

All companies having a need for transporting staff outsource it to vendors.

Vendors own the big buses and Wingers etc but the cabs are owned by their respective drivers, who just "attach" it to the vendor for a per KM rate.

Vendor has no control over these drrivers-cum-owners and little is done to tame them. They come from far fledged and small places ha ving seen the roughness of life.

Companies will have skeleton staff to manage their transport, roster etc, which is just to pass on instructions to the vendor supervisor and you should see them handling the drivers, its a literal abuse. If they put too much pressure then the cab just collects his payment and attaches them to some other vendor.

So much so that sometimes the vendor managing them also shows his helplessness if they dont turn up for duty.

Any suggestions ??
Old 1st May 2010, 20:01   #27
BHPian

@Anandg: If specifically why, by and large, IT/BPO cabs, autos, Govt buses are driven rashly is because 1) they believe in the strength of their union & 2) they also believe that the rule of the law of this land will, many / most of the times, not supersede the power of their unions. You see if we can tackle point # 2, in some remote future (says the pessimist in me), we'll see a better India not just in terms of traffic but almost in every walk of life.
Just to corroborate my thought: Since time there is any record Chennai auto-drivers, by and large, are notorious for their way of fleecing passengers. It continues to be the same!
Old 4th July 2010, 15:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I will try and answer individually.

@Guna: Going to the police wont hurt IBM or the people responsible for handling the vendors. I want to get at the IBM employees who each day turn a blind eye to this.

And IBM employees will help me and already I have a couple of pms from IBM employees.

There was a lot of rant to set this right, know the right people, take it all the way to the center, to the CEO ..hmm looks like everything fizzed out. Don't get me wrong, one person wanting to change things overnight...even with all the influence won't help.

Quote:
Had a bad experience with a IBM Cab today on 100 ft road, Indiranagar.
So BaldOwl, is this a lost cause.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2010 at 21:00. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:37   #29
BANNED

Most of the traffic menace on city roads are caused by these unscrupulous cabs. And the cabs are all hired by the IT/BPO companies. If people can remember in the initial days the companies had their own transport and the driver was held accountable but now to save costs they have outsourced this transportation which is the cause of all this havoc.

And ironically it is partly the companies to blame for how these cabs drive their vehicles. The companies have a penalty clause for every 5mins late the cab arrives at office and mind you that doesnt take into account the traffic jams he might encounter while driving. So naturally the drivers are under severe pressure to drive fast to also make up for lously staff who are late to their stop

The companies want to save money and also want all their hundreds of their staff to be on time in Bangalore traffic else the driver suffers, so guess who's the culprit?
Old 8th July 2010, 03:10   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
The companies want to save money and also want all their hundreds of their staff to be on time in Bangalore traffic else the driver suffers, so guess who's the culprit?
The Driver.

Reaching on time to office is mandate for everyone, weather you come by your own or by cab. People who come by their own are also in a hurry but don't drive as these cabbies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks