Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 01:45   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course in places like Kerala (rains almost round the year), rusting of platform happens because moisture gets trapped
It happens in places like the bottom edge of doors too, where the drain holes get blocked and so it never dries --- but not to relatively open metalwork, and not on a three year old. What's more, every single piece of steel in the construction should be treated or sealed against rust. It just should not happen.

(we didn't hear from Maruti yet, so maybe tomorrow. Fingers crossed still, ok?)
Old 26th May 2010, 02:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

You losing sleep over it already, eh Nick?!! It is close to 2 AM!!

Don't take the 20k estimate too seriously - I have been told similar estimates / asked to claim insurance for what I could do for 2000 bucks outside. And am talking about accidental damage repair / painting here.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:56   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Not even my usual bedtime yet, ph03nix!

That's coming up, and I should be asleep by 4.00. Insomnia is when I'm still awake by 7.00 or 8.00, and deciding to have a cup of chai before going back to bed.

Never fear, I get plenty of sleep... just at odd and anti-social hours!
Old 26th May 2010, 03:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hehe.. you should work in my office then - and make a pretty buck while staying awake
Old 26th May 2010, 04:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

OT: As an after-thought, why don't we night birds have a meet when there is absolutely no traffic or heat or phone calls? An early morning drive or something?!!
Old 26th May 2010, 07:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If the engine-bay is to be cleaned, there are certain precautions to be taken - like covering up certain parts. If this is followed, I dont see any issues. When you give the car for routine service, which includes a water-wash, the engine bay is also cleaned with water, but with precautions.
Which areas need to be covered? I don't see them masking anything at all, After the body wash, they just open the bonnet, spray inside, close and drive off to the drying/polishing area.

Another OT question; they wash inside the engine bay while the engine is still hot - mostly after coming back from a test drive after service. Is it a good idea?

Last edited by Gansan : 26th May 2010 at 07:36.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Another OT question; they wash inside the engine bay while the engine is still hot - mostly after coming back from a test drive after service. Is it a good idea?
I don't think it's a good idea. Are you sure they wash the engine bay after a test drive? My experience is that the washing / polishing etc is completed before the SA calls me to tell the car is ready. If after a test drive they had to clean it up, it would only be an exterior body wash, no engine bay.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:40   #53
Team-BHP Support

That portion is a potential water trap. Leaves gather there and abosrd water. Happens on my swift so every three or four months, I need to dig in and remove the muck. Mandovi normally clean it out during service
Old 26th May 2010, 10:01   #54
BHPian

Same Rusting in the Engine Bay Area for me too . Not as bad but still enough to get it replaced. Some pics which I took yesterday for the Rusted parts:-
Attached Thumbnails
Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010061.jpg  

Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010062.jpg  

Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010063.jpg  

Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010064.jpg  

Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010065.jpg  

Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010066.jpg  

Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!-25052010067.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 12:29   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh heck... Despite the number of quite old Marutis one can see every day, my one worry about my Swift is that it just won't last into old age. I'm retired; I do a very low annual mileage; I'd like a car that would (ideally) last well for a decade or more.

After all this, and seeing nikunj_cal's pics, I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to keep my Swift even for the five years my financial manager (alias wife ) says I should. True, I'm very interested in the new Micra... but I think it is a great shame to feel that I have to go for a foreign make
Old 26th May 2010, 12:38   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nikunj, except for the last pic, all other seem to be away from the Engine Bay - around the window/glass & the fuel tank lid. With that kind of rusting, I would suggest you thoroughly check the under-body & inside the doors also.

Where exactly was the first pic from ?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but I think it is a great shame to feel that I have to go for a foreign make
You shouldn't be... The current car is Indian, but technology is from a Japan and it is having an Italian engine!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
TEG,

This is serious rusting - the last such rusting I remember having seen on the Premier Padminis - which were built to rust irrespective of which climate the car was in. .
Exactly. I had same kind of rust, making the metal into multi-layered flakes on my Premier Padmini back in 1989. (1983 Model). I had to replace part of the body to get rid of this, as once you tap on it, it just crumbles pulling down the nearby metal along with it. Terribly Scary to see in a modern car like Swift.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
We expected an answer by 3.00pm, so telephoned just now. Maruti staff have inspected our car, but have not given answer yet. The guy my wife (Tamil to Tamil is so much easier) spoke to is hopeful, though: it seems that the MSS people are supporting us for warranty repair.

Fingers crossed....
Quote:
Let me see what they say to us within next day or so.

At the moment, I don't have any other Maruti contacts --- and I'm hoping not to need them.

European/Japanese companies offer corrosion warranties far in excess of normal or extended warranty as standard. I don't know if they do that here. If they are confident in their product then they should be able to do so, because they should be able to know that they will not have to pay out except in very few cases.
Quote:
Oh heck... Despite the number of quite old Marutis one can see every day, my one worry about my Swift is that it just won't last into old age. I'm retired; I do a very low annual mileage; I'd like a car that would (ideally) last well for a decade or more.

After all this, and seeing nikunj_cal's pics, I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to keep my Swift even for the five years my financial manager (alias wife ) says I should. True, I'm very interested in the new Micra... but I think it is a great shame to feel that I have to go for a foreign make

I plan to keep this car for another three- four years at least . Best car I have driven till date (after gypsy) . Still get the huge grin when the turbo kicks in expecially in the fifth gear and the car just pulls effortlessly to 130 . You glance at the rear view mirror and all cars have been reduced to tiny specs. If just I could get rid of this problem my car would be perfect....... .

Any word from MSS , THAD ?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Nikunj, except for the last pic, all other seem to be away from the Engine Bay - around the window/glass & the fuel tank lid. With that kind of rusting, I would suggest you thoroughly check the under-body & inside the doors also.

Where exactly was the first pic from ?

Yes I intend to get that done in my Local Garage.

The first pic is on the top of the rear passenger seat mirror ,on the door panels.

But again once rusting starts its hard to keep it contained to the alredy affected areas even though I take preventive measures now. However I dont think this makes the car unsafe unless of course there is rusting on the Chasis as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks