Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 22:24   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

<Blush> If my wife was here, she could give you the names.

Unfortunately, none of the people we dealt with when we booked the car in a week ago were there today, which is a great pity. I think our main contact is called Wilson. We even had the works manager, Madhu, come and look at the warranty work. Today I remember dealing with Kannan and Vishnuprakash (and their names are on the invoices).

A couple of times in the past, we have had them collect the car and deliver it --- and today I understand what a luxury that is!
Old 5th June 2010, 23:38   #107
BANNED

So what's the way to prevent this kind of rusting? Would a preventive 3M or Dinitrol treatment have helped in Thad's case? Or anything else?

Asking because I also own a Swift & I have just moved back to Bombay which is just like Chennai.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:10   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what's the way to prevent this kind of rusting?
Good question! Because whether I keep this car some more time or change it now, I want to avoid the same experience again!

From a quick look, the section that was so badly rusted on my car looks like the base of a closed area under the wiper area. I guess it must have drainage, but if leaves etc accumulate there , or the drainage becomes blocked... ugh! Maybe this is a design fault? Swift owners check it out!
Old 7th June 2010, 14:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back yet ?
Old 7th June 2010, 16:05   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The car is whole again... collected it this afternoon.
There are still issues, though, like the passenger door lining --- and they have replaced the discoloured logos, but "swift" is completely crooked!
Old 13th January 2012, 17:12   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest... My Swift IS Rusting Away

Presently, it is at Ignite Garage, where I took it yesterday for general service and estimate for putting right some dents and scratches.

Later in the day, I heard from them that part of the steering linkage is 90% rusted through. That could have been a lethal accident waiting to happen.

Furthermore, there is so much rust damage to the lower body that they are having difficulties even jacking up the car. It's not a quote, but the possibility of 30,000-worth of welding and painting has been mentioned. We will see the car tomorrow, and discuss the options.

We are talking to Varun at Ignite. I'm always blaming the Hydrogen Sulphide from the Buckingham Canal for rust of steel items here. However, Varun says he lives in the same area, and his bike does not rust! According to him, this is a Maruti thing, and they have a number of customers with Swifts who are just repairing them regularly.

Financially, this comes at a bad time. Savings are low, having done a couple of Singapore trips and repainted the house, along with some other maintenance items, not to mention the not-so-long-ago accident expenses mentioned above. This is not the time to be shopping for a car.

However, good time or not, I think it has to be the time. Even with repairs as detailed, and the lost value on what would otherwise be a prime, low-mileage, albeit dirty and scratched, diesel Swift, I have no confidence that something else equally bad/expensive may leave it value-less in another year, and that we should cut our losses now.

There is one line in the VW Polo brochure that lights up before my eyes: "Six-year anti-corrosion warranty"

Added to which, Polo/Micra are my alternating favourite candidates, with Figo also being a possibility. The Yeti is way beyond my means, and it doesn't look like I'll be waiting, now, for the ecosport, even though the idea of a mini-SUV appeals strongly.

Or maybe we'll just get a bullock ...

Old 13th January 2012, 18:03   #112
BANNED

Re: Latest... My Swift IS Rusting Away

Quote:

Or maybe we'll just get a bullock ...
Does it come with an anti-corrosion warranty?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 18:30   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away!

Yes!

But the expenses of keeping it would probably be as bad as the car, and my wife would prefer her garden uneaten.

Also, I think they are not allowed into the Chennai city now in peak hours --- even if I did know how to drive one, which I don't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 23:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

@Thad E Ginathom: I think no amount of post mortem is going to help. I think rust has taken over your car like termites take to wood. I think you should sell the car be done with it. It pays to have your parked safely and away from the elements.
Old 14th January 2012, 00:11   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

I think...

1. you're right.

2. I'll take a bit better care of the next one and see that it gets a bit more polish between its skin and the elements. Expensive lesson.

I can't park it under cover, although I can park it under a cover. Always suspected that they just help to keep the damp in, though.
Old 14th January 2012, 00:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

I heard that VW still have their year end discounts on for 2011 cars
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 11:44   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Latest... My Swift IS Rusting Away

The math doesn't add up. Here's the contradiction.

Quote:
Financially, this comes at a bad time. Savings are low, having done a couple of Singapore trips and repainted the house, along with some other maintenance items, not to mention the not-so-long-ago accident expenses mentioned above. This is not the time to be shopping for a car.

However, good time or not, I think it has to be the time. Even with repairs as detailed, and the lost value on what would otherwise be a prime, low-mileage, albeit dirty and scratched, diesel Swift, I have no confidence that something else equally bad/expensive may leave it value-less in another year, and that we should cut our losses now.

There is one line in the VW Polo brochure that lights up before my eyes: "Six-year anti-corrosion warranty"
The question is what else can happen? and how probable is it?

PS: You need to repair it anyways before selling - then instead of selling it and booking a loss, you chill and keep the savings in the bank, no boss?
PPS: All bullocks come with an anti-corrosion battery from mother nature - best option I say!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 13:08   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PS: You need to repair it anyways before selling - then instead of selling it and booking a loss, you chill and keep the savings in the bank, no boss?
that's what I'm thinking too. The alternative is to sell it 'as is' to someone who will repair it and sell it on; we know one mechanic who might well be a candidate.

I have to drive it for a couple of months, anyway.

As I said to Mrs G, yesterday, "OK, all planned new gadget buying is off; all planned trips are cancelled. The only consolation is that a new car is actually the ultimate new gadget buy!"
Old 14th January 2012, 13:25   #119
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your Swift. I would not consider the Figo if I were you. Couple of rust issues are already cropping up from other members. Mine looks fine but I can see a few places which I need to take care of in the long run.

Polo is having very good discounts for 2011 models. The Pulse is also a good option.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 13:41   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post

Now to my theory. I haven't validated it with anyone, but I am very sure the reason for all this corrosion: the water. The water from the borewell of my Chennai apartment.

My apartment building didn't have metro water, and was entirely dependet on borewell water. Ground water quality in Chennai is very unpredictable and varies from plot to plot. My watchman loved to wash my vehicles and made liberal use of the borewell water, though its supply to the flats were regulated through timings.

When the car is washed, lot of water goes inside the bonnet and other places from where it is not wiped off. And if the water is particularly corrosive in nature, it gets ample time and opportunity to eat into the vulnerable parts hidden from external view.

Thad, it has to be the water you've been using to wash the car. Combined with the lack of inspection from your part. Just my theory.
+1 to the above observation.

My NHC has met the same fate and i too have realised that washing the car with NOIDA's salty ground water (borewell fed) is the most probable reason for it... At least 3 of the doors and left side A-pillar are severly affected by rust, only option being to replace them altogether. A lesson hard learnt - now i refrain from getting my cars washed too often.

Last edited by Puneet.S : 14th January 2012 at 13:42.
Puneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks