Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 12:21   #31
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad takes the cake.

Haa haaa haaa... tsk you really gave the idea boy!

I believe the motorists are getting unruly everywhere nowadays and it is not a local phenomenon anymore. You gotta see this to believe. In Hyderabad bikers cut you across left right and center. I am in perenial fear of hitting someone. In a maddening rush a biker comes from the left at a whizzing speed, overtakes and then goes right in front of the car and brakes!!! Damn... there you are, jumping on the brake pedals lest the poor guy is crushed.

And honking is something the RTC buses here specialize in (that is when they are not in a mood to run you over). It happens at every junction here. If the traffic is sparse the RTC guy will honk behind you like mad to let him jump the signal. I feel Hyderabad should do what BEST in Mumbai does. Just put a bhopu and remove the horn. It will be bliss on the roads.

About the lane cutting logic, what do you to this. My bro-in-law was driving a car with me next to him. We are passing below the Paradise flyover. The road below is at least 4 lanes wide. We are at the rightmost lane, close to the flyover wall. All of a sudden a khatara bajaj scooter with no stepney and rear seat starts from the kerb side and goes rocketting across all the lanes to cross over below the flyover to the other side. My bro-in-law just stood on the brakes to make the car come to a halt. My bro-in-law was so pissed off he got down and asked him "aage peechhe dekhna nahi hota kya? na indicators naa signal bas aara teerchha maar diya?"... just guess what this pan chewing dude had to say! "akkha scooter moor gayaa tumko dekkkhaa nahin... indicator kidhar ku dikhengaa?" and then spats on the road. Can you beat that?

Thats Hyderabad for you!
Old 17th December 2005, 17:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Open invitation to come here a find one example. Drink is on me. That's a promise.
hey rudra!!!
thanks for reminding me to read through the post!!!
i had somehow been preoccupied with other stuffs related to work so was not able to spend time here!! but just check your reply and man i will have to eat what i had said .
but i was talking in a very relative sense of the word and just think of the state of the roads and road users in chennai!!
the last time i was in bangalore i was not using the car, i was on bikes and even then i would wait for the signal to turn green, with people honking for way when it's red (for which i never used to budge).
but this time around after almost a year, i took the car to bangy and had it scratched. well im not gonna crib about that anymore.
but i feel sad that the offer for the drink does not stand, coz i won't be able to substantiate it, no ways, it has really worsened!!!!
ak
Old 12th June 2007, 00:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
My response on some days is to let the moron who honks to pass and get in front of me, then I get on his tail and honk till I can honk no more. Even sweeter revenge is to catch up to them, get behind them at the next signal and then honk at them :-).
That's great.

Actually I've succumbed to doing that as well. A Qualis was honking at me and flashing the lights, so I just let him pass. Of course, he wasn't able to go any faster than I was, so let him have a little of his own medicine.

The only thing is I just hope that while sitting there listening to me honk and not being able to move forward, he was able to reflect on the pointlessness of honking to make traffic go faster.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

I too stop at signals when it turns red and suffer irritated traffic violators honking away to glory. I do not budge and normally none takes panga as I am on a high perch...;-)

For the squeezers who finally jump the signal I zero on to them after the signal turns green and let go the full blast of my twin Stebel Nautilus making them jump out of their seats...
Old 12th June 2007, 13:01   #35
BHPian

Do you guys think CNG Fart ( Methane Naturally) will do tooo...??? Can't promise the Carbon Soot.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:16   #36
BHPian

Awesome...
I got some kind of sadistic pleasure in reading that story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous
I have a "good" habit of jumping/passing redlights if there's completely NO traffic.
Nitrous...no offense meant, The problem with the completely NO traffic logic is that on vacant signals, for someone coming from the other side, if there is no traffic in front , people would tend to accelerate hard and drive fast to pass the crossing while the signal is green...

So even if you see no traffic, it is still a very dangerous strategy as the guy who is accelerating may suddenly appear at the crossing while you are passing through, and the fault wouldn't lie with the other guy
Old 12th June 2007, 17:07   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I can see him in my rear view mirror frantically waving his hands in front of his face. So next time you diesel heads have some moron honking behind you at lights, remember, "A diesel fart" is mightier than the "horn yell"
Great idea TSK. I have a good alternative. I use mild soap water in my windshield washer tank. I have 6 jets which fire to my windscreen and 2 in the rear on operating a stalk. I did not need all at one time hence I pointed 2 jets from each of the front set to the back of my car about a feet or two and aligned it perfectly so as to reach the shirt of the guy behind me. And one from the rear too. I needed a lot of patience to get this done and used my bike to set it up perfectly. The end result was a wet honker at traffic lights. And it doesn't look intentional either . I had to do away with it after I had enough satisfaction at spraying soap water at people honking behind me. Try it in your Indica too. I guess it comes with 2 jets each?

P.S: Sorry if this sounds bad but I would love to have a cleaner alternative at shutting up honkers.
Old 12th June 2007, 17:15   #38
BHPian

@moralfibre - this is a very good alternative in shutting up honkers and teaching them some road manners.

Cheers
Hellcat
Old 12th June 2007, 18:10   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
@moralfibre - this is a very good alternative in shutting up honkers and teaching them some road manners.

Cheers
Hellcat
haa haaa haaa... I am not very sure that it will teach them a lesson. However it will stop them from honking immediately for a while as they will be surprised by what hit them.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:32   #40
BHPian

You think jumping red lights and people honking at red lights is wierd?? I was waiting at a red today on the way to work. There was about 15 secs left on the timer and suddenly the cop starts waving us to start moving even when the lane perpendicular to us are on green and vehicles are crossing us!! I was helpless and as usual, the predictable honking started!
Old 12th June 2007, 18:35   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
haa haaa haaa... I am not very sure that it will teach them a lesson. However it will stop them from honking immediately for a while as they will be surprised by what hit them.
Correct Zappo that doesn't teach the morons a lesson but it definately does shut them up for a while and IMO it is waste of water .
Old 15th June 2007, 00:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I have a "good" habit of jumping/passing redlights if there's completely NO traffic. I feel its just sensible since traffic signals are for controlling traffic.
Typical of mogappair road users. There seems to be no logic or sense in the mad rush on that stupid road. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry that they dont give a damn about the guys next to them nor to any traffic laws. I have seen that road like that ever since it was laid as a 100 feet road. Thank God, i don't have to use that anymore since my office has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Nitrous...no offense meant, The problem with the completely NO traffic logic is that on vacant signals, for someone coming from the other side, if there is no traffic in front , people would tend to accelerate hard and drive fast to pass the crossing while the signal is green...

So even if you see no traffic, it is still a very dangerous strategy as the guy who is accelerating may suddenly appear at the crossing while you are passing through, and the fault wouldn't lie with the other guy

I am sure nitrous has got over that itch by now.
Old 15th June 2007, 00:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey moral,

I do the same thing but SIDEWAYS. 1st i don't let the biker come next to me as I stop at a very acute angle so that he cannot squeeze through. After 5-6 honks from him, I decide to let him come and wait by my side - then pull the windscreen washer switch. Now what happens - the water (soap water. fully loaded) comes out as a spray on the Skoda and at the same time the wipers start - so the guy gets a lot more wet than he can imagine
Old 15th June 2007, 01:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

I like the wiper idea!! I wish there was some way to set up spare vents, and have a tank squirting ink/skunk perfume that could be sparyed on these morons!!

One time,a friend & I were returning from the Mulani Optics on CMH Rd, and we were at the 100ft rd -CMH rd junction. The lights turn red,and we stop ( we were in my old Astra). 2 guys stop right behind me,and start honking,though the lights are still red. I waited for a little while, and then both of us got out of the car and went straight for the guys. We happened to pick up a few business cards from Mulani Optics, and the 1st thing I did was to hand over a card to each of them,and pointed towards the red light saying.. 'you guys might need to visit the opticians- the light's still red, so why don't you park your bikes round the corner,and go for an eye test.Atleast the roads would be clear of blind dodos like you'...and we walked back to the car. There were about 15-20 cars/bikes around us, and they all started laughing,some even clapping.

The last time I was in B'lore (Nov/Dec '06), while waiting at the Cauvery Emporium junction, a bunk of people started honking,and it went on for a good 30-40secs. I didn't bother to budge,and waited for the bikes to come along side.The only thing I did was to point in their direction,and laugh like I'd just watched a classic comedy by Utpal Dutt.. .. I've hardly seen such a lost look on a person's face..
Old 15th June 2007, 09:06   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Hey moral,
I do the same thing but SIDEWAYS.
Yay N_C, like minds think alike . You have any alternatives in mind for fluids that we can put in the windshield washer tank?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks