Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 20:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brand new, totalled ANHCs

Last Tuesday I visited the Pride Honda service-cum-stockyard to do my own PDI on the then soon-to-be-my new Honda Civic.

As I walked into the stockyard and looked at the line of 3 stunning black Honda Civics one behind the other, a disturbing sight from a little further ahead in the line caught my eye. It was a collection of smashed "brand new" ANHCs.

Brand new, totalled ANHCs-img_1292.jpg
Brand new, totalled ANHCs-img_1293.jpg
Brand new, totalled ANHCs-img_1294.jpg
Brand new, totalled ANHCs-img_1295.jpg

Now, I'm not a fan of the ANHC, but it still breaks my heart to see absolutely brand new cars in this state. There were at least 5 of them, although I show only 2 in my pictures.

So what happened? Apparently the container truck that was shipping these cars from the factory overturned somewhere en route. I'm assuming the incident took place very close to Hyderabad, which is why these cars landed up here. I doubt if they would've come here even if they were ordered here, if the incident took place somewhere very far away.

You can make out from the second image above that the cars were just left to the elements, as Honda waits for the travel insurance company to come and assess these cars. It seems Honda will get the full value of the cars from the insurer. I wonder who'll get the smashed up cars, though, once everything is settled, and what'll happen to whatever's left. Most of the parts in these cars can be salvaged, actually. But I doubt Honda would do that. Perhaps they could be used in some filmi blow-up scenes, and be of some utility to someone in that sense at least.

The salesperson who was in charge of my account told me that there were also two Civics in that lot. I didn't see them. I don't think I could gather the courage to even if they were right in front of me.

How frequently do things like this happen? It's hard to imagine a car transport truck completely toppling over.

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th August 2010, 20:18   #2
BHPian

It really would be interesting to know what happens to those cars. I really hope that they are not dumped on some unsuspecting soul.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see this, but still this can be considered only as a minor incident when compared to the infamous Cougar Ace incident which forced Mazda to destroy a whopping 4703 cars even though most cars were not really damaged:

Mazda begins destroying 4,703 vehicles from Cougar Ace accident
Old 6th August 2010, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Sad to see this, but still this can be considered only as a minor incident when compared to the infamous Cougar Ace incident which forced Mazda to destroy a whopping 4703 cars even though most cars were not really damaged:

Mazda begins destroying 4,703 vehicles from Cougar Ace accident
Why they could not dismantle the cars and reuse the parts? Of course after testing them.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Why they could not dismantle the cars and reuse the parts? Of course after testing them.
See, once insurance pays you for the damage, it's not ethical to sell the parts forward. There should be no more transactions with consideration (i.e. money or other barter) involving those parts. That's my gut feeling.

In fact I asked the dealer if they could salvage the chrome exhaust tip from one of those broken Civics and give it to me at lower cost (I lost mine in a speed-breaker incident), but they flatly refused saying that once insurance is paid such things aren't allowed. I didn't expect anything different, but I felt there's no harm in trying.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th August 2010, 20:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

These should not be sold to unsuspecting customers.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
See, once insurance pays you for the damage, it's not ethical to sell the parts forward. There should be no more transactions with consideration (i.e. money or other barter) involving those parts. That's my gut feeling.
Well, the insurance company can sell (may be scrap) the salvage parts right?
Old 6th August 2010, 22:18   #8
BHPian

This is really sad, so what is going to happen to these cars, and what if someone wanted to purchase them in the same condition as they are for cheaper?
Old 6th August 2010, 22:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Honda would actually benefit if they were to sell these cars in as-is condition, and who ever picks these cars gets to fix them up for a reasonable amount. I wouldn't want to scrap these entirely, wasting all the resources and man power that went into making each machine.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:33   #10
BHPian

Its just National waste. Parts recovered from this car will be sold as spares? or sold to scrapyard?!
Old 6th August 2010, 23:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! 1.5 Vtec power plants and trains!! Who is the insurer? The insurer can dispose off the parts of course, or assess a value for the resale, and pay up the rest to the dealer / Honda!!
Old 7th August 2010, 14:27   #12
kkg
BHPian

Few years back, I saw a HR registered Left hand drive Santro getting black tints in our market. I enquired and got to know a container carrying export meant Santros toppled and those were auctioned later by the insurance company.

Ethically, those should have been scrapped or atleast not to be registered. When I asked its owner how he managed it? He said "everything is possible in India." I still spot that Santro occasionally.
Old 8th August 2010, 08:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Six months ago, I saw a place in Gurgaon. That workshop sells i10s and Santos like this. They say that you select the car, pay 50% of the payment, they will fix the car and make it look brand new, get it registered in your name and sell it to you for around 3.25L for i10. He even offered free services and warranty, in his own workshop though, (Hyundai will not be responsible)

Once the insurance company pays the company (Honda/Hyundai), then these cars become insurance company's property and then insurance company sells it to such dealer and they repair it and sell it (may or may not be after informing the customers).
Old 8th August 2010, 08:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Few years back, I saw a HR registered Left hand drive Santro getting black tints in our market. I enquired and got to know a container carrying export meant Santros toppled and those were auctioned later by the insurance company.

Ethically, those should have been scrapped or atleast not to be registered. When I asked its owner how he managed it? He said "everything is possible in India." I still spot that Santro occasionally.
Container toppled from a truck? Hyundai is located at Chennai, and i doubt if Hyundai will rent a container truck to transport these cars from the factory to the port, which would hardly be 20 odd kms!
Old 8th August 2010, 21:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Well, the insurance company can sell (may be scrap) the salvage parts right?
I hope they do (another avenue for me to get a brand new "genuine Honda" silencer tip for cheap) .

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks