Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 07:41   #1
BHPian

Which was the best drive of your life?

When Was That Moment with the car u felt u connected...that time when the time sttod stil and all u had was the magical connection with the car & road...!!! simply in one sentance...The Time Of U R Life With U R CAR???
Old 13th December 2005, 09:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Every drive seems to be better than the last one. There's no end to it.

But, since we have to pick one out, i'd say it was the time I transported 5 people (including me), luggage and a tank full of gas......across 135kms of winding mountain road, at an average speed of 108.8 kmph. (Read that as 135kms in 1 hr 15 mins).

Satya knows and loves this stretch.

What made it special, was that i never felt the need to cross 120kmph. It was all down to saving time, through the corners.

FE on that drive : 14.5 kmpl (Don't you just love it when that happens)

Shan2nu
Old 13th December 2005, 09:48   #3
BHPian

I love driving in the hills in the winding roads allowing the tail end to wag a bit. to pick one is very difficult, driving a bolero in munnar was a fascinating experience and the next one was drive from trivandrum to sencottah via ponmala.
Old 13th December 2005, 11:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

any hill ride is exhillarating. be it the Tanonic Parkway, Pacific Coast Highway, NH? to Goa. twisting and turning down roads with a steep drop on one side gets the adrenalin flowing.
Old 13th December 2005, 13:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Tough question, its hard to give one. But the most memorable ones are
1. Ooty to bangalore, esp the Hairpin bends section. Pics http://tanveer.in/coppermine/thumbna...lbum=32&page=2

2. Madurai trip. Here's where on hosur to krishnagiri section I maxed out the indica speedo to 160+ while going downhill. And not to mention the thompur ghat section.

3. Bangalore-Nagpur-Bangalore. the longest and most gruelling drive of my life. But those ghat sections on andhra border were great. Amazing roads and great tyre squeeling oppurtunities. http://tanveer.in/coppermine/display...lbum=24&pos=38

4. Driving 155R13 shod getz on iced roads of Kufri/shimla/Fagu. Never done so much sliding ever!

5. The stormy drive on Greater noida expressway. I was at 80kmph when a gust of wind caused the Getz to slide to mid lane from the fast lane. The guy in fusion about 100mts in front of me got hit by flying bricks. After that it was torrential rain lasting just 10 minutes but it was like a cloudburst and that too with 100kmph winds! See the story in pictures(From a cam phone) here http://tanveer.in/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=35

6. The drive on riverbed in Gypsy, along with a climb up a steep mountanside. Had to engage 4WD L. For the second time of my life it was then that I smelt oil burning from the gear box. In 4WD H, even with accelerator fully depressed and with no pressing of clutch the vehicle was stationary with even the wheels not spinning. The clutch was slipping like crazy. Had to engage 4WD L, and then also the incline was so steep that all we could manage was 2-3kmph on the 40m section.

7. The 100 meter dirt road section to TI Bangaore parking. It was a sharp right followed by a sharp left. Before constructions began visibility was 100%. So I would powerslide at 50kmph and then go into an opposite slide, and end it up with a 90 degree slide into the parking space
Old 13th December 2005, 14:35   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Difficult to note, but I think the most enjoyable were two drives to Goa. One reason is you know the goodies that await you at the destination . The most memorable were in my Jeep, and then in my ex-Lancer.

GTO
Old 13th December 2005, 15:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Difficult one.........

1. KL - Mersing (point from where you take a boat to the Tioman Island resort)

The road from Air Hitam on the KL-Singapore highway to Mersing is a smooth undivided highway with plenty of twists and turns running through oil palm, rubber and the occassional tea estates. Terrific drive, and the Proton Perdana V6 was mostly sliding through corners.

2. Harare - Johannesburg - Cape Town

I have never driven through so much of open space, beautiful scenery, rolling weldts, quaint towns and beautiful highways. Never seen so many drastic changes in weather in one drive, either. Vehicle - Nissan Wolf twincab pickup and NO PASSENGERS!

3. Cochin - Valparai - Udumalpet - Munnar - Thekkady - Cochin

In one word - FANTASTIC. The drive, the vehicle and the scenery - it was an overwhelming experiences for the senses - good and bad roads, forests, pouring rain, mountains, tea estates, rocky terrain and an ever-willing diesel. Vehicle - Tata Safari DICOR.
Old 13th December 2005, 19:58   #8
BHPian

Too many good ones.Ofcourse some of them are etched in memory.
  1. Ghat near Sakleshpur on the way back from Goa.Too good...
  2. ECR-Mahabs to Pondi,back in 2000...awesome
  3. The best....drive from Rameshwaram to Dhanushkodi..only 18km,but sea on either side & it narrows down to a dead stop..NH 49 ends.
Old 13th December 2005, 22:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

tanonic/taconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Tanonic Parkway
do you mean the Taconic Parkway in Westchester County, NY, or am i mixing up 2 different roads?
Old 14th December 2005, 18:54   #10
BHPian

The best was the few laps I did at the Sriperumbudur race track in my free flowing ex-Zen back in 2002. What an adrenaline rush that was!!

Driving on the ECR to Pondy is great even after doing it so many times! Long distance driving is so much fun all the time!
Old 14th December 2005, 20:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

although all my drives seem exquisite to me, this particular one stands out; way back in 2001, i took my first inter-state drive...from bombay to kerala. unforgettable, memorable... they are just mere words; even the countless snaps that we took en' route do not exhibit my enthusiasm. the best part of the drive was that I got to drive the entire 3200kms+ to and fro, myself... we managed to reach kerala in about 33 hrs, including a 2 hour joyride through goa, and a 7-hour sleepover halt at karwar. so a total of 24 hrs of actual driving, covering about 1600 kms. pretty good timings these, especially considering that the roads weren't in the best state of tune back then.

the fact that i only had a learner's permit for a gearless scooter back then (i was 16) was never even a concern; at least not for my dad, who was in the passenger seat the whole time....but then, that's because he knows how much i love machines...

oh, and before i forget: the machine that fulfilled my first dreamy journey - TATA SIERRA...my sweet ex.... (i had nicked him as appu; i know, it sounds crazy...) ....got a li'l nostalgic there....

Last edited by veyron1 : 14th December 2005 at 20:08.
Old 14th December 2005, 20:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

1. Frankfurt to Munich on the autobhan via Ulm (less traffic than Stuttgart). Never driven so fast for soo long. Flat out for 2 hours in a Jetta 1.9 PD with the scenery flashing by. Speed between 180 - 200 kays.

2. Climb up Thirupathi hill last year. Rest of the family decided to climb by foot, so I had an empty car.. OHC 1.5, and the roads were great and more important it was a one way !!! Went blasting up the hill hitting the apex every time. Recomend to everybody here.

3. Lapping Gingerman race track in the M3, in hot pursuit of a modded Sti on slicks and chased by a modded Mustang.
Old 15th December 2005, 03:43   #13
BHPian

well guys mine should have been the numerous ones tken to and fro manipal to kerala...(i still do)..those late night ones tryig to beat the interstate bus and train has to be on the top...

and obviously the cochin - blore drive has immensed my pleasure and further strengthened my confidence in the bjp govt!
Old 15th December 2005, 04:47   #14
BHPian

Driving from Coimbatore to Chennai in my Wagon R that i used to have.. was one of the best drives I ever had.

Recently .. drove all the way from Chennai to Point Calimer..one of the tips of TN... ( I believe you can see lights from Sri Lanka when its dark ) It was just three of us in a friends Scorpio. The drive was fun.. One person drives, one in the Navigator seat ( also DJ ) and one sleeping in the rear seat.

But the best of all is the drive from SJC to LA. Amazing . That too when you are lost in the dead of the night and dont know which way to go..
Old 15th December 2005, 10:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
do you mean the Taconic Parkway in Westchester County, NY, or am i mixing up 2 different roads?
The Tanoic Parkway extend from Weschester through Dutchess and on to Albany. However the part when you enter Dutchess is the best as you have a sheer vertical (if you driving from NYC to Albany) on your left. I think the section is called bullet hole road.

What I loved about it was even the State Troppers did not chase you down on the Taconic. There is no shoulder and the twists and turns would endanger others. So a smart driver could do 65-70mph (done as much as 85mph in a SAAB 900 Turbo) and have an exhillating drive.

I used to call it White Knuckle Driving (an analogy to White Water Rafting).

And dont ask me to spell the Indian version of Taconic. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks