Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:42   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
TeamBHP does not endorse or support drunken driving. :-)
But most TeamBHP meetings do include alcohol and am i supposed to assume that the driver never drinks. Yes, i should assume that. Because we are responsible people, aren't we?

There are quite a number of threads where members have met for a drink (not necessarily coffee).

Oh God, i replied to a very old post. Navin, do you still stick to your statement?

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 22nd February 2008 at 10:44.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:19   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
But most TeamBHP meetings do include alcohol and am i supposed to assume that the driver never drinks. Yes, i should assume that. Because we are responsible people, aren't we?
The last Team-BHP meet I went to:

1. I had taken my driver along.

2. Monkey didn't / doesn't drink so he dropped a couple of people back home.

Team-BHP does NOT support drinking and driving at all. As you know, we have already put up a thread on Team-BHP Meet Guidelines that includes a note on NOT drinking and driving. However, we cannot control what BHPians do offline, even at Team-BHP Meets. What we can do is promote safe-driving in a much larger way. Just wait and watch for some activity on that front...boy, do we have plans!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

One more example of what could happen if you drink and drive :

Mid-Day - Article
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:36   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.partyharddrivers.com
Thats the best solution...great business model ...@500 bucks its a tiny price to pay as opposed to the consequences that could arise
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:16   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I know it has been discussed before , but there are'nt enough designated drivers around. and no one would like to give up driving.
Its something that needs to be done. Drinkers could consider making sacrifices in turns if a cab or non-drinker driver is not an option.
Believe me that a HUGE percentage of our member base doesnt drink at all. At the same time, a large amount of the non-drinkers avoid meets because all the alcohol consumption is not their kinda scene. Encourage more of them to join in and give the drinkers rides to the meet and back home.

Quote:
agreed, 1 or 2 pegs wont make a massive difference, but a difference is a difference, and every little bit counts, if we are to survive unscathed on our roads.
I 100000% agree. This is the most important point that everyone who does drink and drive fails to understand.

I'm sure Walter Rohl could drive the Nurburgring backwards even after having 5 pegs, however, i can also guarantee that his reaction time (to hit the brakes or swerve) due to a suddenly appearing obstacle would be - at the very least - fractions of a second slower.
Now at even 35km/h, fractions of a second can add up to a few meters, which can quite clearly be the difference between life and death.

Quote:
most BHPians wouldnt be caught dead in a taxi, going for a tbhp meet. and, what happens if its a drive-meet?
I disagree, a lot of TBHPians come to meets in taxis, especially if it is a dinner meet where there is drinking involved.
As for alcohol consumption on a drive, i think that is a terrible idea.

Quote:
Is'nt prohibition the straightforward and right thing to do?
In theory maybe its the only 100% solution, however :
1. Not everyone will agree, and why should the responsible members who assign dedicated drivers / take cabs etc have to agree?
2. IMPOSSIBLE to enforce.

Quote:
I realise I have no authority to dictate terms, this is just a heartfelt appeal.
Appreciated, but ofcourse, you might want to keep repeating this appeal to your friends to start making a difference. (..and im sure you already do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
http://www.partyharddrivers.com
Thats the best solution...great business model ...@500 bucks its a tiny price to pay as opposed to the consequences that could arise
Link to TBHP thread on partyharddrivers >
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...heir-cars.html

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2008 at 00:19.
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Ahaa...justifying the deeds Friend? Well, alcohol takes 6 + hours to ingest into the system. Till such period, its effect remains..

I'm no saint either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
There are number of ways I drink and drive well too..

first of all, I go to very good bar & resturant (sometimes accompanied by brother) very near to my house (within 3 kms), drink upto 2 beers max. this helps in getting back home easily.

few years back (before married), used to drink and drive but was aware of my condition, not to over booze. Those days never used cars, only bikes, another thing to mention was we used to take smaller gullys or streets and avoid main roads, there by was safe,

-another good point being would take lots of breaks on the way back to have tea/pan or even just chat up with the friend. so by the time we reached home, the effects 2/3/4 or say 5 pegs :-) would have nearly diminished. But ideally used to stick to 3 pegs.

Drinking heavily and driving fast cars is dangerous, and in the night is very dangerous, and in night with sunfilms on windshield is very very dangerous

Lookout for drunken drivers who may bang into your car.
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:16   #52

if someone ought to knock someone down , he will
whether drunk or not is secondary..
why arent the condition of roads getting better?
why are these construction workers sleeping on footpaths.? cant they be given some temporary home to live in..

drunken driving is just one side of the story.. ( as they say it takes 2 to tango)
Old 23rd February 2008, 12:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolsson View Post
why are these construction workers sleeping on footpaths.? cant they be given some temporary home to live in..

drunken driving is just one side of the story.. ( as they say it takes 2 to tango)
not really dude....all though there are ppl i have come to see here in gurgaon ( no offence to anyone ) who just drive recklessly and look like being out there to just run over ppl, alcochol takes this to a whole new dimension...

IT TRULY AFFECTS YOUR SENSES, reaction times and u really dont know what ur doing if ur drunk...

roads are bad, people sleeping over footpaths is a different issue ....dont expect that to be fixed as a precondition for ppl to drive sober...

remember - ppl dont sleep in footpaths because they love to and want to be run over by some careless driver ( or maybe even a careful one at times )...they are there becos unlike u and me, they dont have a fancy apartment complex to drive into and a decent home to sleep in...
Old 23rd February 2008, 12:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Lets arrest the people who sleep on footpaths and demolish all houses / shops everything near all the roads so that there aren't any people wandering about near the roads. Ban people from taking morning / evening walks on the road. Anybody who steps out of their house should be on a four wheeler.

Then we can drive however we want. Recklessly / drunk .....whatever!!

PS: You don't think you have a right to run over those who sleep on footpaths, don't you?

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 23rd February 2008 at 12:44.
Old 24th February 2008, 22:05   #55
rippergeo

Quote:
I saw this drunk tangoing on the ghat roads yesterday- I'm sure he was alone.

Old 11th November 2010, 00:01   #56
BHPian

Drunken Driving can kill you the next day

Recently went to my home town in South Tamilnadu and heard this sad story. Few of my friends had drunk too much and till late in the night and one of them was very really out. He had gone home, slept for 2 hours when around 630 AM some idiot called him on his mobile to find out if he was ok. This guy once he is awake but still not in senses fully, groggy with hangover and sleep, decided he will travel to madurai to see his new born baby and wife. Driving fast in a santro, on the new four laned NH7, he smashed into a tanker lorry taking a U turn head on and died on the spot. His death has now chastened other friends and they are trying to give up this habit of drinking. Too little too late.... idiots. Just not sure what to say....
Bala
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:46   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Views on Drunken Driving

A recent verdict from a Delhi court:
Drunk at wheel? You could drive into jail - Hindustan Times#

This is a nice start IMO for idiots driving while drunk.

But on the other hand, I have my own doubts about our police.
to "teach lessons" to other innocent people, it is very easy to use this.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motorists who resent police’s overzealous attitude in cases of drunk-driving can expect a little leniency in the coming days. Thanks to Karnataka Excise minister MP Renukacharya's take-it-easy policy in drunk-driving cases. Excise minister MP Renukacharya said he would soon hold talks with home minister R Ashoka regarding the matter.
Quote:
Excise minister MP Renukacharya on Friday stated that consumption of liquor came down sharply in six drought-hit districts in the state.
Drought-hit not drinking enough, says excise min - Bangalore - DNA

Take-it-easy policy in drunk-driving cases? - Bangalore - DNA
Old 27th August 2012, 19:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Seems these idiotic politicians are not content with just filling their pockets - why should there be "Take it easy" against Drunk Driving ?

I personally think our laws are way too lax - even if you are caught for the first time drunk driving - there should be a minimum jail time (maybe 2-3 days). If this is implemented - you will see how the educated IT folk would stop this drunk driving menace immediately atleast.
Old 27th August 2012, 20:53   #60
BHPian

Ok!! Thread Drift Coming Ahead:-

Party animals in Chennai, If you are going to The Park for an night out, they now have a few drivers to drop you back at home at around 2am. Talk to the ones in white valet uniform when you drive in. I paid 300 rs to drive my gang home at 3 am in my car, an absolute safer option. Now party hard with out worrying about driving back home drunk.
BoeingDriver is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks