Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 15:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Snake holding beggers

oh btw, the snakes just swallow anything it is presented with and sorta 'hide' it in a corner of their mouths.

in a friend's case, the duping snake beggar was caught and thrashed and the note magically appeared. It also helped that the bunch of guys was a bunch of non-superstitious college fellows ready to run over the snake with a car!

@gavini - that any loser at a traffic signal can do - must we always be scared?
Old 9th December 2010, 15:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@gavini - that any loser at a traffic signal can do - must we always be scared?
Good point. Now I can rest in peace. :-)

Murthy
Old 9th December 2010, 16:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The best option is the roll up the windows, switch on the Music and enjoy the two minutes of tranquility and dont bother about the outside.
Exactly. Just ignore them!

Quote:
To give the beggar a taste of their own medicine start shaking your body as if you are in trance shouting wildly "Shambuji aa gaye".
I almost fell off my chair after reading this
Old 9th December 2010, 19:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Best idea is to ignore them, if they get physical and put the snake on you dont panic and say thanks and walk/drive away with the snake. Take it to a remote location and release, shambhu baba will truly be happy after this, for sure the snake will be.

Pramod
Old 9th December 2010, 22:53   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have a mind of grabbing the snake the next time and walking/ driving off with it.

Now that would be something nice (wicked)

I have fell in this trap once at teen age as he suggested that my wish will be fulfilled (I being young had all kind of fancies, so couldn't resist much)
Old 9th December 2010, 23:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

The best solution is to ignore them..no matter what curses they hurl on you.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:17   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
... along with the eunuchs at most traffic signals.
I have found the eunuchs also ok behaved - when you donot show any aversion /dislike to them. If you dont want to give then indicate that you dont want to give. They seem to get the message clearly, and go away.

I have heard of others scratching the paint - but this is possibly when the car owner tried to dismiss then rudely.

So, suggest not to irritate them - if they do, then they dont have anything to lose. Say no in a matter-of-fact way, and you should be fine. Works even better than ignoring - because when you ignore, then they keep asking so that you give them something to make them go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
In Chennai there's a different track; people come with a small lighted lamp, flowers in a plate & say they've offered God the money they take as alms.
One exception here - IF the person is asking in sincerity : Sabarimalai piligrims. As per practice, the person going to Sabarimalai must do so with the contributions /alms that he collects. I know we cannot find out the authenticity of the intention, but thought I'd share this (I myself found this out recently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
If the windows are rolled down, simply roll them up.
Be proactive here - roll up the windows before you get to the signal. Same with saying no - respond asap and clearly that you are not giving anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
1. Complain in Police Station
2. Complain to Wildlife Department
3. Provide fodder to newspapers / news channels. They would actually pay you for such juicy news.
Rohan, hardly - neither will the cops nor the papers be intrested in such stuff. Nor the wildlife dept, unless it's a (sloth) bear.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:02   #23
BHPian

Re: Snake holding beggars

Some of these things taste delicious. Especially the Python... Yum!!!
Threaten them you will grab it and eat it. See the reaction.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

If I ever came across a snake holding beggars I'd want to be a long way away as soon as possible.

A hyphen, on the other hand, would change the situation entirely!

<smug pedant smilie>
Old 10th December 2010, 14:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the responses. I have decided to ignore these idiots completely from now on and to make sure the windows are rolled up completely.

BTW all this happens under the nose of traffic police. So no use complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I ever came across a snake holding beggars I'd want to be a long way away as soon as possible.

A hyphen, on the other hand, would change the situation entirely!

<smug pedant smilie>
Please feel free to report post to mods for changing thread title.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
To give the beggar a taste of their own medicine start shaking your body as if you are in trance shouting wildly "Shambuji aa gaye".
****! I laughed out so loud that my whole bay was staring at me.

Just rolling up the window is enough. I usually look straight ahead and shake my head a bit. They just move on.

This one's a funny incident:
Me and 3 friends were returning home from college. We are at a major traffic junction (Madhuban Chow). The passenger side power window wasn't working properly that day.
A bunch of Eunuchs came and started groping the guy sitting in the front. The dude is kind of plump, so they went off like : "aaja tujhe khaaloon mere alloo".
I almost died laughing that day. :P
Old 10th December 2010, 14:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

I had one funny incident when I was at a signal I was suddenly surrounded by a few enuchs and did not have time to roll up the window. They started the usual routine of clapping and one of them approaching me said "Kuch de do Bhagwan ke naam, tumhara baccha IIT jayega". I replied back "tumhare paas appl form milta hai kya". The enuch out of nowhere sprung out a form. On closer look I found that it was an account opening form for SBI at IIT-B campus.

I was woken up from my laughter by the honking of cars behind me.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have heard of others scratching the paint - but this is possibly when the car owner tried to dismiss then rudely.
hmmm! Interesting! Oneday i was going to my Grandma's place - this young beggar came and starts dusting the windshield with a dirty cloth - i told her not to clean the windshield and that i will not help her (in no way it was rude) - she kept on cleaning the windhield and the rear glass - came to me asking for money - when i ignored, she went away (she stood near the rear of the car for sometime and then went to the next car.

when i reached grandma's house, i checked the rear and everything looked perfect, except that my car is a P_lio
Old 10th December 2010, 16:08   #29
BHPian

>>>

Reading the thread title, I thought for a moment that the thread pertains to gigantic snakes holding beggars. I know now that is is beggars with snakes, begging (and threatening) for alms. Beggars accost you at all traffic signals or crossroads, in most Indian cities.

Keeping all the windows and doors locked and removing all valuables from view is the only option I guess. Scooterists surely have a tough time.

Regards, drive safe
Old 10th December 2010, 16:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Why are most people so hell bent on killing the snake??

Instead bash up the beggar... and you may actually acquire some blessings from the poor snake, who is a victim itself, lol!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks