Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 20:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attacked by an Autorickshaw driver in Bangalore

Such unprovoked incidents are sad. I carry pepper sprays in my car. And hope that I do not have to use it ever. Unless you are physically strong and big, you cannot even look intimidating. And against a mob, even that is useless. And we are not prepared to fight, whereas these goons are.

I hope your friend follows it up with the Police to punish the auto driver.

Got this info from a friend in Bangalore. May be useful in such situations.

Quote:
Cheeta Squad Ashok: 9902660986
Crime Squad Manjunath: 9845668681
Crime Squad Ravindra: 9980399551

The above numbers had been published in TOI last year and they had requested public to contact them. This was during the ORR daylight robberies that were happening in broad daylight. Later on it also extended to HSR sector.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:45   #92
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I have a leather belt in my car. I have kids, so don't really want to keep a pepper spray in the car.

Ever thought that even your car can be used as a defence (or to give offense)? Use your door as a shield, if at all you have to get out. If somebody is continuously honking from behind in a traffic jam, put the car in reverse and threaten to back up.

About the 'local' part, would having a simple sticker on the rear windshield written in the local language help to blend in better?

Last edited by SDP : 18th January 2011 at 23:46.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:52   #93
Senior - BHPian

SDP, I think what you have suggested may make the matters even worse and infuriate them even more

Remember reading about an incident last week, where a pilot and a shop owner had a scuffle, which ended up int pilot killing the guy by running his car over the guy four times. Apparently, the shop keeper started it first, after a minor accident, but coming up to the window of the pilot and started beating him up

Surprisingly, the police are saying that they are not amounting the actions of the pilot to murder, as he was trying get out of the way due to the blow landed on him by the attacker, and in the process of trying to drive away, the other guy slipped and came under the car

@pjbiju, thanks for those numbers. They should be helpful
Old 19th January 2011, 00:09   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
a pepper spray in the car.
Speaking of which, actually a pepper spray might come handy before a crowd gathers. Especially during the night times/wee hours when there are not many people on the road.
Old 19th January 2011, 00:44   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Remember reading about an incident last week, where a pilot and a shop owner had a scuffle, which ended up int pilot killing the guy by running his car over the guy four times. Apparently, the shop keeper started it first, after a minor accident, but coming up to the window of the pilot and started beating him up
I reiterate my point from this thread here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2206904

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is the most gruesome act for any sane person to do.
If there is a chance to get a way from the situation, that should be taken before indulging in any insane killing. We are accountable somewhere.
Old 4th February 2011, 12:19   #96
BHPian

Hello Flyingkolors, any news about the progress in the case?

I'm guessing by now, the police would've arrested the driver on charges of attempt to murder? And how is your friend doing? I hope insurance and the driver have paid off for the car's damages. Tell us soon, this thread seems to have died down as soon as it came up.
Old 20th February 2011, 23:31   #97
BHPian

Dear all, sorry for for not updating this for long. Well, there are couple of updates.

1. My friend has recovered, got his insurance (well almost, 90%) and the car is also back to good old condition.

2. After numerous trials, reaching out to the higher authorities (or should I say highest!) we were able to put pressure on the local cops and the driver was finally arrested. Nevertheless, he got his bail on 2nd day, got his auto back and driving as a free bird. Case has been moved to court and went through couple of hearings. (Auto guy didnt turn up in both the cases).

I kind of lost hope at this point given the poor state of affairs when it comes to our courts. We have next hearing on April4. :-(
Old 21st February 2011, 01:31   #98
BHPian

Good to know your friend has recovered. The less said about the state of affairs the better. Wish him the best.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

Why bother with the law when you managed to get the address? Should've just dealt with it in the mobster way they know best.

Now that moron has your friend's full address and all the details. Like the other pajero case, surely enough constables in police would be helping him out if required. Ask your friend to get ready for more beating if the guy actually gets close to prosecution.

IMO - Really stupid to have pursued a court case in this instance.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
constables in police would be helping him out if required. Ask your friend to get ready for more beating if the guy actually gets close to prosecution.
In this case, driver might not be able to grease pals with big $$$ for each "tip" received from constables. He is not stealing 20 lac+ cars after all.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Dear all, sorry for for not updating this for long. Well, there are couple of updates.

1. My friend has recovered, got his insurance (well almost, 90%) and the car is also back to good old condition.

2. After numerous trials, reaching out to the higher authorities (or should I say highest!) we were able to put pressure on the local cops and the driver was finally arrested. Nevertheless, he got his bail on 2nd day, got his auto back and driving as a free bird. Case has been moved to court and went through couple of hearings. (Auto guy didnt turn up in both the cases).

I kind of lost hope at this point given the poor state of affairs when it comes to our courts. We have next hearing on April4. :-(
That is good news, even though you may be upset about the progress of case, the idea is that the auto guy got the punishment he deserves.
He may be out on bail in 2 days, but realize that he lost his lively hood for 2 days, and he may had to pay for lawyer/bribe or some means to get out from jail and be free.
Next time he will definitely think twice before committing such mistake. You should be congratulating yourself for the change you have brought about. The idea of law and punishment is to bring about that change. Hopefully the whole exercise served that purpose.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:00   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why bother with the law when you managed to get the address? Should've just dealt with it in the mobster way they know best.

IMO - Really stupid to have pursued a court case in this instance.
Agreed. In my opinion, we gave him what best could be done in a gentlemen way. Why stoop to his levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Good to know your friend has recovered. The less said about the state of affairs the better. Wish him the best.
Very true. And our own tbhp hosts at least 2 stories were justice is awaiting for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
That is good news, even though you may be upset about the progress of case, the idea is that the auto guy got the punishment he deserves.
He may be out on bail in 2 days, but realize that he lost his lively hood for 2 days, and he may had to pay for lawyer/bribe or some means to get out from jail and be free.
Next time he will definitely think twice before committing such mistake. You should be congratulating yourself for the change you have brought about. The idea of law and punishment is to bring about that change. Hopefully the whole exercise served that purpose.
I sincerely wish so too. If he had even learnt an iota out of this entire episode, we can consider ourselves lucky.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:29   #103
BHPian

Hi FlyingKolors

Sorry for reviving an Old thread. Is there any Update on the Case?
Old 21st May 2014, 14:25   #104
Senior - BHPian

Mod note - Thread closed and will be reopened when the thread starter has an update to share.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks