Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 22:02   #16
BHPian

re: Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Mig 29K is the aircraft carrier variant of Mig 29.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Gentlemen, the MiG-29K of the Indian Navy...its looks say 'don't mess with me buster'.:-)
I know I am nitpicking but the aircraft is actually a Mig-29KUB, the two seater trainer version of the carrier borne aircraft.

"K" stands for "Korabelny" in Russian which means Carrier or Ship.

"UB" stands for "Uchebno-Boevoi" in Russian which means Trainer-Combat.

Mig-29K
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-1.jpg

Mig-29KUB
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-2.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 22:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am probably in the minority, but I was admiring the Lambo
....despite that we still love you androdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
But you can see many civilian aircrafts also in the video.
Several defence airports are routinely also used for civilian traffic - Goa, Vizag, Srinagar, Jorhat, Jodhpur, Jamnagar to name but a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
.... to what must have been a reasonably costly (I mean fighter jet fuel, inspections, operating costs, airport shutdown, etc.) and prep-intensive exercise.
The Naval Air Arm probably flies some number between 50 to 75 sorties a day 365 days a year. One sortie is small change in comparison.

Foxbat, brother you are allowed to nitpick. Mind you these special privileges are not granted to many.:-) The aircraft in the video is indeed the KUB version and the aircraft in my photo is the K.

I cant resist this...
Hurcan:

Weight: 1550 kgs
Engine: 631 bhp / 5200cc
Power to Weight: 0.40/1.00 .... that is high enough to be the power to weight of a fast prop driven aircraft. The legendary Spitfire through most of its career in WW2 had a ratio of 0.4 to 0.5!!! The ATR regional airliner you are familiar with typically has a ratio of 0.25
Top Speed: 325 to 342 kmph

MiG-29K

Empty Weight: 11,000 kgs
Engines: Two turbofans delivering 5100 kgf without reheat and 9000 kgf each with reheat
Top speed: 2200 kmph at altitude; 1400 kmph at sea level ie 388 m/sec
Climb [the fighters equivalent of 0 to 100 for a car] 330 m/sec initially and 109m/sec sustained to 20,000 feet
Fuel burn - ya really want to know. Well it is 2.9 litres per second for both engines at full military thrust ie when they are running at 5100 kgf each. With reheat it is about 2.5X this number

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th August 2018 at 22:07.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 22:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Huracan does NOT have "scissor doors". But Mig-29K has "scissor wings"

Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-mig_29_india_navy_russia.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 02:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sad that the full afterburner of those mighty engines were not used and during the near vertical lift off, there was no sonic boom.

I am sure both the lambo driver as well as the pilot were instructed to keep it simple, for one, in full thrust (with afterburner) the MiG will simply blow away the lambo (jet wash).

i am not a big fan of the "K" variant with the hump in the back to accomodate more fuel. I still prefer the old school smokey jet, the MiG 29 or the KUB variant with the extended glass canopy. I am not sure what is making these RD 33's so smokey!

P.S: Guys, one info. Please make sure to hide/mask the tail fin numbers of all Military aviation assets while posting their pictures. If you notice the official images, the tail numbers are always masked (in the recent past). I am not sure why this is being done but nevertheless better to stick to the way our forces want to project their assets.
AlphaKilo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 20:41   #20
PGA
BHPian

Re: Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB

All things said and done, such kind of endeavours are not really permitted in the armed forces, its far too unsafe an act and has huge potential for loss and embarrassment without achieving anything. There has been no official statement from the Navy as well, the video has been on the social media for last one month or so. The quality of video also indicates that it is not a professional work.

Normally, for any such activity formal permission needs to be obtained from the higher echelons, if its been permitted by local commander, I am sure there will be repercussions.
PGA is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 21:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
All things said and done, such kind of endeavours are not really permitted in the armed forces, its far too unsafe an act and has huge potential for loss and embarrassment without achieving anything. There has been no official statement from the Navy as well, the video has been on the social media for last one month or so. The quality of video also indicates that it is not a professional work.
Um, no. You are mistaken. No pilot or commander will risk his job (or freedom) like that. In 2014, Autocar India teamed up with IAF and raced Sukhoi 30 MKI against Huracan

Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20141231020729_suk-vs-lam.jpg

You can read the whole story here:
https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...thunder-392483

And who remembers Eurofighter Typhoon of RAF Vs Bugatti Veyron race?
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 22:17   #22
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Um, no. You are mistaken. In 2014, Autocar India teamed up with IAF and raced Sukhoi 30 MKI against Huracan

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...thunder-392483
This is OK, car is on parallel taxi track and not on the runway, thus the risk is mitigated to a large extent. Had it been similar at Dabolim, I would have accepted that such a possibility may exist.

I cannot comment on Bugatti vs Typhoon race but difference in both productions is stark whereas one is solid professional work, our effort looks quite shoddy in comparison, I think Indian Navy does a better job than that.
PGA is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 22:28   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I cannot comment on Bugatti vs Typhoon race but difference in both productions is stark whereas one is solid professional work, our effort looks quite shoddy in comparison, I think Indian Navy does a better job than that.
Bugatti video was not produced by RAF, and this video has not been produced by Indian Navy or IAF. Obviously, what you see on Youtube has been shot by spectators.

Remember, this is for Autocar India print magazine - not television.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th August 2018 at 22:29.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 00:04   #24
BHPian

There is a nice video of this yet to be released. Don't ask how I know!.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 09:38   #25
BHPian

Great to see the Indian Navy being so PR Savvy!

These are expensive assets that have been purchased for billions of dollars and their appearance in the public eye is always a matter of pride for the public and raises awareness about the armed forces.

While, I too initially thought that the video would be for an Autocar India edition, it appears that this will be a Navy promotional video -Go Navy!

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2018...mborghini.html

The MiG-29K image @V.Narayan @Foxbat is that of an IAF MiG-29 UPG not a Navy MiG-29 K. These aircraft are being upgraded at IAF Base Repair Depots. Approx total of 60 aircraft to be upgraded to provide 3 squadrons worth of aircraft.

IAF MiG-29 UPG
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-mig_29upg_01.jpg

INDIAN NAVY MiG-29 KUB - note the orange flight suits for easy identification of the pilots if they have to eject over the ocean. The MiG-29 K/KUB has folding wings, strengthened under carriage and a arrestor hook, which IAF aircraft do not have.
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-mig29kub_08.jpg

The classic MiG-29 - what a great looking airplane!
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-mig29_4.jpg

This is the newest version called the MiG-35
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-mig35_13.jpg

@ V.Narayan - sir, am sure you will enjoy this video.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread (within 30 minutes)!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th August 2018 at 12:47. Reason: Please see note inline.
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 17:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wow, that's a pretty elaborate recruitment ad! Is the situation still that bad in terms of armed forces recruitment? I thought that with the latest pay scale revisions, it would have helped improve the recruitment situation.

I mean every kid at some point wants to join up. I know I did, but myopia from a very young age made it impossible. But there must still be more applicants than required. Or still a severe shortage?

There's a buddy of mine who's a chopper pilot with the Navy. He's very matter-of-fact and dismissive about his job, but man I'm so jealous each time I see him. I mean flying for your country, that's got to be the best thing ever! And imagine piloting one of these fighters! I think even owning a Lambo would pale in comparison! (not that I would know, of course, having experienced neither!)
Well this is an off-topic rant, but suits the purpose of the video. If the Defence forces need more recruits they have to change their archaic recruitment systems in place.

I have personally experienced those archaic systems during my so called selection. Its a far cry from the system in place in other countries where if you are interested in the Army/Navy/AirForce you walk into their recruitment centre and the due process begins.

They acknowledge your skills and mould you into the best possible placement. Of-course if you do have some short-comings chances are given to rectify them within the system rather than chucking you out completely.

The Indian defence tiers need this change in it's recruitment system desperately.
lionell is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 09:47   #27
Team-BHP Support

DODGE VIPER SRT10 VS F-16 VIPER: Terrestrial viper easily beats the flying viper in a quarter mile race.

LAMBORGHINI REVENTON VS PANAVIA TORNADO: Tornado is ahead of Reventon by 5 seconds in a 1 km race.

FORMULA 1 CAR VS F/A-18 HORNET

SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I know I am nitpicking but the aircraft is actually a Mig-29KUB, the two seater trainer version of the carrier borne aircraft.

"K" stands for "Korabelny" in Russian which means Carrier or Ship.

"UB" stands for "Uchebno-Boevoi" in Russian which means Trainer-Combat.

Mig-29K
Er, Foxbat, apologies for nit picking, but that too is not a MiG-29K, it's the IAF's MiG-29 UPG. The IAF uses the KB/KS BuNos for the Fulcrum and the IAG roundels are smaller. There's also no tailhook. All the IN Fulcrums have are the large canopy , non-humpback variants. Not expected from you!

@Narayan sir, 500 meters is generous , even the F-14A takes off in 400 meters (flying minimal weight/lean of course) on its engine thrust alone! The non-reheat take off was the first thing I commented on watching the video too! Maybe IN didn't want to embarrass the Lamborghini too much

The MiG-29, at least in the earlier lightweight, non-hunchback models, were acknowledged to have a take off roll of just 240 meters. Of all the videos I've seen, not even the fabled F-15 has such rapid acceleration and climb, only the F-22 appears to rival (possibly surpass) the Fulcrum's take off and climb performance. I've never seen a Su-30 go vertical soon after take off, it might be a recent IAF regulation for civilian safety to have planes exit populated areas ASAP, but even in the care-free days until 2006-7, when Sukhois performed aerobatics over the airfield , never saw one go vertical after take off, which even the heavier IN MiG-29K does (witnessed a few years ago at Dabolim myself).

As for the Indian military's befuddling policies - I've seen photos clicked by foreign nationals of IAF jets inside IAF bases (from copyright information on the images) back even in the 80s and 90s - and they permit magazines to conduct drag races, but should a tax paying Indian citizen even be seen clicking photos outside the airbase, he's a suspect.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 13:56   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Er, Foxbat, apologies for nit picking, but that too is not a MiG-29K, it's the I've never seen a Su-30 go vertical soon after take off, it might be a recent IAF regulation for civilian safety to have planes exit populated areas ASAP, but even in the care-free days until 2006-7, when Sukhois performed aerobatics over the airfield , never saw one go vertical after take off, which even the heavier IN MiG-29K does (witnessed a few years ago at Dabolim myself).
It could be that in prior air show before 2007, it was Russian pilots or it could have been Su-30K which was given back to Russia after we got MKI, since Su-30K variant was a temporary IAF pilots pushed it to the limits.

I have attended all aero india airshows since early 2000 till last year. In the early 2001 air show till 2005, the SU30 and even MIG29 where using a lot of after burner. However since 2007 even a single engine f16(flown by US pilots) used to make more noise then the SU30MKI, the US and pretty much all foreign pilots used afterburner generously.

2007 aero india was probably the best with the MIG35 and MIG29OVT the later maneuvers where just jaw dropping thanks to Russian pilots and 3d trust vector nozzles.

It's 2018, yet we only have crappy video quality footage of the mig29 vs Huracan .

Last edited by aim120 : 9th August 2018 at 13:59.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 15:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
It could be that in prior air show before 2007, it was Russian pilots or it could have been Su-30K which was given back to Russia after we got MKI, since Su-30K variant was a temporary IAF pilots pushed it to the limits.

I have attended all aero india airshows since early 2000 till last year. In the early 2001 air show till 2005, the SU30 and even MIG29 where using a lot of after burner. However since 2007 even a single engine f16(flown by US pilots) used to make more noise then the SU30MKI, the US and pretty much all foreign pilots used afterburner generously.

2007 aero india was probably the best with the MIG35 and MIG29OVT the later maneuvers where just jaw dropping thanks to Russian pilots and 3d trust vector nozzles.

It's 2018, yet we only have crappy video quality footage of the mig29 vs Huracan .

The Su-30MKIs were in service from 2001 onward. I don't know when the Su-30MK (without canard) were returned, but it's always been IAF pilots post-2000. While there are many young pilots who convert to the Sukhoi here, it was always the same 1-2 pilots who performed a very specific aerobatic routine (and this was regular sorties, not for airshow though it might be practice for airshows later). That has completely stopped in last 5-6 years, most of the time the planes go straight to designated exercise route, and though we do hear/see them overfly the city every now than then. Circa 2006, the IAF put up an elaborate aerobatic and simulated combat display with lot of low level flying over the city which I watched from the ground, culminating in a guest flight for the then President, Dr Abdul Kalam. I believe the few crashes at the outer edges of the city might have caused the flight pattern changes.

Afterburner use during aerobatics is practically a given. Hard, high G turns and rapid climbs require generous afterburner use. The reason Su-30 makes less noise is partly because they're run at detuned (reduced thrust) setting during peacetime to increase engine life, and because the AL-31 has higher bypass ratio than the F-100 (and possibly F-110) engines, making them quieter.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks