Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 09:15   #1
Team-BHP Support

Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB

From TOI:

Quote:
A video of a drag race between fighter jet MiG-29K and Italian supercar Lamborghini Huracan Performante has gone viral on social media. The drag race was conducted by the Indian Navy at the Goa airport with an aim to encourage and inspire youth to join the armed forces. A 44 second video shows the Russian-made fighter jet on the runway and the Italian sports car on the taxi track of the airport. The video shows the aircraft taking near vertical take-off leaving behind sports car on the taxi track.

Mig 29K is the aircraft carrier variant of Mig 29.
SmartCat is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 09:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB

Very interesting. The take-off speed of a loaded MiG-29 is between 260 and 280 kmph. The pilot clearly decided to lengthen his take off roll by not using reheat and thus helping keep the aircraft rolling on the tarmac for a longer distance. With reheat ie full power the MiG-29 lifts off in ~500 metres give or take a little depending on the weight.

Gentlemen, the MiG-29K of the Indian Navy...its looks say 'don't mess with me buster'.:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-mig29-.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th August 2018 at 09:52.
V.Narayan is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 09:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Perhaps Mig 29K pilot was receiving instructions like this from the ATC?

SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 09:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
From TOI:

The Hurracan seems to be on the right side of the runway and the MiG on the left. The taxiway is empty. This is an ad video being made for the Indian Navy to attract youth for a career in aviation wing of Navy, showing that if you like speed, we are there for you, come join us.

Last edited by SDP : 6th August 2018 at 11:23. Reason: Removing video link from quoted text
BoneCollector is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How cool is that! My dad's very close friend is in the Navy and have heard many awesome stories from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Gentlemen, the MiG-29K of the Indian Navy...its looks say 'don't mess with me buster'.:-)
I so wanted to get into the Navy, even applied after my BTech. But alas, wasn't selected. I should have tried for their 10+2 tech entry scheme instead. For those currently in 10th or so, the Armed Forces is now an attractive career option! Forget the perks for a second, the pay scale for their officers is significantly higher than what a fresher would make.

Ofcouse, this is definitely not easy, but man, I so regret not trying in my 12th for their tech entry scheme.
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, that's a pretty elaborate recruitment ad! Is the situation still that bad in terms of armed forces recruitment? I thought that with the latest pay scale revisions, it would have helped improve the recruitment situation.

I mean every kid at some point wants to join up. I know I did, but myopia from a very young age made it impossible. But there must still be more applicants than required. Or still a severe shortage?

There's a buddy of mine who's a chopper pilot with the Navy. He's very matter-of-fact and dismissive about his job, but man I'm so jealous each time I see him. I mean flying for your country, that's got to be the best thing ever! And imagine piloting one of these fighters! I think even owning a Lambo would pale in comparison! (not that I would know, of course, having experienced neither!)

Last edited by am1m : 6th August 2018 at 11:12.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is the situation still that bad in terms of armed forces recruitment? But there must still be more applicants than required. Or still a severe shortage?
Indian Navy has 82 vacant positions for pilots out of 735, according to this article

Well, just because Surf Excel is advertised everyday, it doesn't mean Unilever has trouble selling it to customers. For Indian Navy, this is a low cost Brand Awareness / Brand Building campaign.

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th August 2018 at 11:38.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I am probably in the minority, but I was admiring the Lambo
androdev is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing, that roar is indeed music to ears The 'actors' ;

Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-miglamborghini.jpeg
sarathlal is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indian Navy has 82 vacant positions for pilots out of 735, according to this article
Well, just because Surf Excel is advertised everyday, it doesn't mean Unilever has trouble selling it to customers. For Indian Navy, this is a low cost Brand Awareness / Brand Building campaign.
Hmmm, not sure if the analogy is apt. Point-of-purchase products like washing powder depend entirely on advertising and recall, there is virtually no difference between a Surf excel or an Ariel or any other washing powder. Continuous advertising, name recall, (price, of course), and availability are the only things that will make a customer pick one over the other at the point of sale.

I understand that, and it's good that the Navy does engage in brand-building and generally increases it's engagement with the broader audience. But there must have been a specific purpose to what must have been a reasonably costly (I mean fighter jet fuel, inspections, operating costs, airport shutdown, etc.) and prep-intensive exercise.

Last edited by am1m : 6th August 2018 at 12:05.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:06   #11
Team-BHP Support

More information here:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65275171.cms

Apparently, this is for an auto magazine which wanted to compare supercars with fighter jets and the Navy is using it as a promo to recruit pilots. Surprising they chose Goa though, which being a defence airport, has such tight restrictions on photography.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Shot from a different angle:

First 10 seconds of the video, Huracan is seen inching ahead.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 18:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wow, that's a pretty elaborate recruitment ad! Is the situation still that bad in terms of armed forces recruitment? I thought that with the latest pay scale revisions, it would have helped improve the recruitment situation.
It's not about situation, it's for the awareness.

The young generation of today is so much pulled towards other sectors i.e. IT & such, that they are getting very small pool to select officers. They require best among the best which can only happen if more and more candidates show up for the recruitment.

Its not some job where as citizens we want standards to be lowered for the sake of filling vacancies. These fighter jets require skill sets which are of another level altogether compared to driving even Lamborghini Huracan.

I get goosebumps every time I watch Fighter jets taking-off.
IRideScent is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 20:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Surprising they chose Goa though, which being a defence airport, has such tight restrictions on photography.
But you can see many civilian aircrafts also in the video.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 21:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
But you can see many civilian aircrafts also in the video.
That is fine. There are many defence airports in India operated by AAI. Old Bangalore airport was owned by HAL, Pune airport owner is Airforce, and Goa is owned by Navy. There may be other airports as well.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks