Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 18:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Dream Car Fund - Do you have one?

This thread brings out the best of all that Team BHP stands for. We are a bunch of dreamers but rooted in reality.

Thanks to Naman_Ferrari for articulating what many secretly lusted for & maybe even planned to buy until harsh reality kicked in. But what is life without a flight of fancy?

Do I have a dream car fund? No, I do not. I have a dream fund though. I dream if I have a sudden windfall or once my responsibilities are over & I have spare money what dream(s) would I fulfill? Of course this dream involves a car how else would it be?

Since my favorite cars are impossible to possess in India which for the record are: Ford Mustang GT Classic, Porsche 911 Turbo (series 964), Alfa Romeo GTA, Mercedes W113, Ferrari 275 GTB. The best option would be rent one of these classics while travelling abroad and check off my bucket list.
laser2707 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 19:27   #47
BHPian

now that I have read this thread, I am inspired to start a dream car fund! Thank you, I hope years later, I could re-open this thread and post that it worked out!
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:44   #48

I am about to start my undergrad and I have similar dreams like yours, as I don't earn I haven't started a fund yet. To be honest there are too many good cars out there that it is hard to fixate on one. I plan to move abroad preferably U.S.A for higher studies and better job prospects, also cars are damn affordable there as compared to India (Hope UNCLE SAM will go easy on the VISA regulations and stuff). My favourite past time is to search used sports cars on the cargurus USA, I found many f10 M5s for under 50k$ with decent mileage on them(even 2016 models!). From whatever I've searched online with an M.B.A or an M.S. it is fairly easy to end up with a 100k$ job (post-tax) Please enlighten me on this if I am aiming too high.

So a used M5 would be affordable within a couple of years of work and if one has to do the same in INDIA(working class) he or she would be in his mid 40s perched in the comfy C suite of a top corporate MNC, with grey hairs or worse receding hairline, hectic work-life balance, relaxed reflexes and a virtual 'Mid Life crisis' sticker slapped on to him by his family members. Long story short you get to buy an M5 when you actually need an S class/7er.That is why probably merc launched the s63 AMG and s65 AMG, killing two birds in one stone. I have heard that mid 40s is the stage where one reaches the zenith of his corporate career graph but I feel it's a tricky age to be in cause you got to pump up your kid's education fund and retirement corpus cause the universe is way too unpredictable and you never know when you might have to hang your boots so, a pitch for a sports car might be welcomed with cold stares from the home ministry. After envisioning 14,000,605 futures my best bet seems to move abroad, study/work there, save $s buy a sports car (fulfil the primordial purpose of existence ) and retire in India. I hope to pen an ownership review of a sports car within a decade on TBHP, wish me, luck people.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th June 2019 at 20:54. Reason: Typos
$tar_boy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 10:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
For me, buying a proper supercar (preferably a Ferrari F430 / 458 Italia) is probably the only goal I have in life.
Hey Naman_Ferrari, the very fact that you can make such a statement showcases your determination and boldness (to some extent)!!
As many, I don't want to sound like a spoilsport or have any intention of disheartening you, but Indian infrastructure does not justify such exquisite machinery.

Incidentally, I have couple of friends who had a very similar dream like yours, but had to move out of the country to fulfill them, which they have as I type.

Now coming to my dream machines, I don't like bulky/bulbous machines, and prefer nimble & fast cars. So here are my dream machines in the order of preference:

1. BMW M3

Name:  M3.png
Views: 2612
Size:  322.7 KB

2. Volvo S60 Polestar

Name:  S60 Polestar.png
Views: 2586
Size:  318.1 KB

3. Audi RS5

Name:  RS5.png
Views: 2551
Size:  91.8 KB

I know that I can buy 3 of my dreams for the price of 1 of your Hyper-car !!

But here is some food for your thought. For your age and enthusiasm, have you considered 2 other machines which can be just as (if not more) fun as your Ferrari F430?

Ducati 1299 Panigale S

Name:  Ducati 1299 Panigale S.png
Views: 2567
Size:  184.4 KB

BMW S1000 RR

Name:  S1000RR.png
Views: 2534
Size:  187.7 KB

What's more, you can buy both of these hyper-bikes and yet save truck loads of fund for that occasional "Track Days in UK"!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th June 2019 at 10:51.
Vik0728 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:43   #50
BHPian

Thanks everyone for all of your encouragement, advise, thoughts and opinions
It's very encouraging to read everything that has been posted on this thread. Everyone has a different take on it which is amazing!

Obviously I did not expect everyone to agree with what I said. It's rational to think that it's not possible to do this in India for various reasons that were pointed out and I agree with all of them.

I will continue working on my dream fund and hopefully, one day I can come back to this thread and share the good news.

If anyone else who said they have a dream fund/planning to start one end up buying their dream car one day, please do post on this thread. The rest of us will need all the inspiration we can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
A quick note for others, it is gonna be a long read, so in case you are the impatient kind, you can skip right on, as what I say will have zero effect on our / your daily routine.

Again, I sincerely wish one of us breaks the common notion that supercars are unattainable for us normal guys, and I hope that you do it. All the best!
Special thank you for your response. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. I actually read your post twice, just to take it all in well
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 22:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

We all have our funds for different purposes: mostly it's saving up for the rainy day, retirement, kids education, marriage, housing, etc. With the dream car fund you also save up for the dream trailer and a dream track 'cause you'll be needing those to take the car to your private track on weekends. If you have to save up for the super car, I bet one can't afford even a change of tyre's and battery for it, let alone up keep.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 22:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Special thank you for your response. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. I actually read your post twice, just to take it all in well
I hope it helps! As they say, victory favors the prepared mind. Wishing you the best of luck. Go break the conventional belief and show us your F430 some day! Cheers!
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 10:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am sure a lot of us here at Team-Bhp have a 'dream car'.....
For me, buying a proper supercar (preferably a Ferrari F430 / 458 Italia) is probably the only goal I have in life
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A man who speaks my language .

Instead of fund, I have a "dream car investment".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would suggest, rather than making a pool of money from existing salary income, invest in changing the way you earn.

To be honest, a salaried man in India just cant afford a Ferrari....
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi Naman_Ferrari,
Great to know that you're having a dream car fund and are actively saving for it, even I have one. We're both the same age too....
Things change and how!!! Take out a few Hundred Rupees from your fund and buy the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. After reading that book, you'll have a much clearer answer to your question. While my previous post remains relevant and is sound advice, I know ways to get to my goals. I've to create my own paths :P

I now clearly understand what GTO and 2000rpm meant after gaining the perspective I gained from that book. Being in the middle class is a trap (maybe too strong a word; anticipating brickbats) and most people are afraid to take risks.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th October 2019 at 10:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 09:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I now clearly understand what GTO and 2000rpm meant after gaining the perspective I gained from that book. Being in the middle class is a trap (maybe too strong a word; anticipating brickbats) and most people are afraid to take risks.
No sir, you are quite right. In my opinion too, being in the middle class is a trap indeed, but only for those who tend to stay in it grudgingly, secretly pining for more.

Middle class is the comfort zone where one has sufficient income to sample all the basic luxuries life has to offer, but not enough to live lavishly. There are many people who are very satisfied with this, and that's cool.

However, for those who wish for more, it is a very difficult place to be in. The fear of losing the comfortable lifestyle they've grown accustomed to prevents most from taking the risks necessary to raise their income potential.

I'm an example of that. I live with my parents, and with our combined income, we live a fairly comfortable life with all the basic creature comforts - all necessary home appliances, two hatchbacks, two scooters, iPad, PlayStation, laptop, decent mobile phones, and what not. And we even manage to save a little for the future.

While I am deeply grateful for all that I have, I am not happy. I'm a petrolhead, and the automobiles I desire require me to raise my income potential. However, the fear of losing my comfortable lifestyle has stymied me from taking any action so far.

This is something I've been struggling with for a very long time, and I'm happy to share with everyone here that I've started to make some progress. In order to satiate my need for speed, I had booked a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. While it was not exactly the motorcycle I lusted after, it was what I could afford at the moment, and I was really excited about it.

However, a little over two months in to the 90-day waiting period, I had a change of heart. I visited a new pre-owned luxury car showroom here in Chennai, and the cars and bikes on display there, a 599 GTB, a Continental GT Supersport, an R8, an S1000RR, and an R1, made me rethink my decision to get the Interceptor. I didn't want to deal with any more compromises; life is pretty short anyways.

The sight that made me think:
Dream Car Fund - Do you have one?-20191014_091049.jpg

So the next day, I promptly went to the RE showroom and cancelled my booking. I realised that if I could wait for three years (I had been wanting a motorcycle badly ever since I sold my Duke 200 in 2016), I could wait for another two, and get the very car or motorcycle I've been dreaming about for a long, long time.

Now, I've started my very own dream car / motorcycle fund. I've reduced my monthly expenses, and increased my savings and investments, so that in a few years' time, I could probably get myself one of my favourite superbikes or cars, like a Fireblade, a Hayabusa, a Mini Cooper S, or even a 530d. Fingers crossed . Cheers!

Last edited by Turbojc : 14th October 2019 at 09:32.
Turbojc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 23:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Middle class is the comfort zone where one has sufficient income .... The fear of losing the comfortable lifestyle....
There's a central theme Kiyosaki echoes throughout the book- "Have money work for you" and don't work for money.

It is easier said than done. The Middle Class is a walled garden, there's a paradise out on one side and a ditch on the other. You've to understand what you're doing to minimize the risks. As 2000rpm said, the middle class person in India can't save enough for a Supercar. One has to invest money and time to change your source of income:
1. Either create a business which is highly profitable. Later buy a car as a business investment and write it as depreciation to reduce taxes.
2. Work on creating a scientific invention that'll earn you many $$$ in patents.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th October 2019 at 23:20.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 16:34   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

While not a dedicated fund, I do have a few time limits for some upgrades, and work towards trying to accommodate those upgrades without stretching myself at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another reasonably sporty car that'll soon become popular in the used market is the Mustang, examples of which are already exchanging hands at 40 odd lakhs. Expect them to touch the high 30s in a year or two. It's fast, handles well, looks superb and is reliable (meant to be a daily driver in the USA).
The mustang has actually been on my list as the next upgrade - all subject to availability of a good example when I am ready to move on from the F30. Probably should start a fund for the modifications though
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 14:43   #57
BHPian

UPDATE: My Dream Car Fund Liquidated

I have some truly amazing news. Just went ahead and spent all of my money on a 2010 Porsche Boxster S in yellow (it's a stick shift )

How did this happen?

I started the fund around 4 years ago, when I started my career. Almost all of my money has been going into the fund since then. I keep looking at used sports cars online when I'm free (have been doing this regularly for years). A couple of months ago it hit me that if I was willing to get a 'sportscar' instead of a 'supercar' as my 'dreamcar', the goal would be much more achievable and could happen MUCH faster. Quickly I also realised that this has some other not-so-obvious advantages -
- Sportscars are much cheaper to buy than a Ferrari
- Cheaper to run and maintain (not sure but taking a leap of faith here )
- I can buy it before having any responsibilities on my head
- Can enjoy it while I'm young
- I'm not sure a supercar would be that much more fun than a sportscar in Indian conditions

Inspite of the above, I have been in a dilemma over the past few months. Obviously it's a stupid financial decision. The amount spent on the car would double and triple if saved and invested over the next couple of years. Lot's of times I decided to drop the idea and focus on saving. But the itch was always there. Fortunately, my parents are immensely supportive. They know my passion for cars and told me to get the car since I'm young and have my entire life to earn money again. Happiness is more important. To be honest, that's the only reason I could buy it. I don't have any other commitments. Live with my parents who also pay for most of my other expenses. This is why I could save everything and go for a Porsche at such an early age, so 100% credit to family!

Once I was convinced this was what I wanted to do, I started looking at options. I knew that I would only get a proper sportscar and not a luxury car that only looks sporty cause of 2 doors (if you know what I mean). Hence, the options within my budget were -
1. BMW Z4
2. Audi TT
3. Audi RS5
4. Porsche Boxster/Cayman
(I don't like the SLC and the Cooper S does not look the part, so not considered)

If I add up the time I spent researching each of the above cars, it would be A LOT. Initially I was convinced it would be the Z4 - sufficiently sporty and a BMW, so not crazy to maintain. Had an amazing TD as well. Then, got swayed by the RS5 (cause V8) but eventually decided against it because I also wanted sportscar looks. Don't get me wrong, the RS5 looks sickkkk but it lacks that proper sportscar look for me. The Audi TT is amazing but 4 cylinder, so I knew this would not keep me happy in the long term. Same with the Z4. Today, it would be amazing but I was afraid it would leave me wanting for something more exotic in 5-7 years.

Hence, my only realistic choice was the Cayman/Boxster. It is a proper Porsche. Drives almost as good as the 911, arguably better since it's smaller and mid-engined. Hence, it would be the true 'dreamcar'. The only realistic way to upgrade would be a Lambo or a Ferrari. But with a Z4 or a TT, this would not be the case.

So my rationale now is that if I buy this now, I can enjoy it for decades to come. I will ALWAYS have a true sportscar (because there is no way I will sell this unless I buy another exotic).

Finally, the car!
- It's a yellow 2010 Porsche Boxster S (987.2). And did I mention the transmission - it's Manual
- The last of the series to have a hydraulic steering, which coupled with the stick shift is arguably much better to drive than the 718 sold currently. It has that 'analogue' character that modern sportscars and supercars are slowly loosing. In a way, in terms of driving pleasure, it might be impossible to upgrade (which is what I'm hoping for). I plan on keeping it for a long long time (if I can).
- 310 BHP - more than I will ever need
- Feels AMAZING to drive (driven it only once though)

It's not in perfect condition. Interiors are a bit worn and there are a few scratches but mechanically, it felt tight. It's always a leap of faith when you buy a used Porsche and after a lot of sleepless nights, I went for it. Please wish me luck. I want to keep it for decades, maybe forever (so I can be more financially responsible in the future and not spend everything on cars haha).

Haven't received delivery yet. Went to Delhi to buy the car. The seller is servicing and fixing some scratches before sending it to Bangalore, where I live. Will take a few weeks to come and I cannot wait.

Will post a full ownership review in a couple of months but just wanted to post here so more of us at least think about taking that leap of faith!

Again, I know maintenance will be time consuming and expensive BUT #WeLiveOnlyOnce
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 14:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: My Dream Car Fund Liquidated
Thanks for the update. Its rare to see a follow up on threads like this. I'm happy for you that you have got to this stage in just 4 years!

Quote:
Finally, the car!
- It's a yellow 2010 Porsche Boxster S (987.2). And did I mention the transmission - it's Manual
Wow. Thats amazing. And a manual no less. Wishing you all the best ahead and do start a thread at the earliest. Eagerly awaiting for it. Meanwhile, any teaser pics?
blackwasp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 17:32   #59
BHPian

Well done and congratulations ! Very interesting story and persuit of owning a sports car. Enjoy !
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 19:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Wishing you all the best ahead and do start a thread at the earliest. Eagerly awaiting for it. Meanwhile, any teaser pics?
Thank you!
Here is one picture I took when I went to see the car. Will post more once it comes home
Attached Thumbnails
Dream Car Fund - Do you have one?-porsche.png  

Naman_Ferrari is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks