Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2007, 17:16   #361
Senior - BHPian

A few days back I had a great oppertunity to visit the Rolls Royce showroom at Worli & experiance the luxury of the new Phantom. Its a marvelous automobile. Snap here is took in my mob, more fotos r in my camera which I'll post soon when my wife is back from Mumbai.

Old 1st May 2007, 20:09   #362
BHPian

This article here says there are 200 RR's in india not considering the new Phantom's and most of them in Mumbai and Indore.

Quote:

Rolls Royce, the preferred car of the Indian royals, is about to sell its first car in India through a local dealer in almost 50 years.
The customer is a 33-year-old industrialist and stud farm owner from the western Indian city of Pune.
Yohan Poonawalla will be adding a black and silver Phantom - price nearly $920,000 - to his existing collection of three Rolls Royces.
He already owns a 1937 Phantom 3, a 1934 seven-seater limousine and a 1992 Silver Spur 2.
Mr Poonawalla, who runs flourishing horse breeding, pharmaceuticals and engineering businesses, is an inveterate car collector, but says the Rolls Royces have a special place in his collection.

"I think the Rolls Royce is the best car in the world. The Phantom has tremendous road presence, comfort, prestige and now even speed and power - which the Rolls Royce was not known for earlier," Mr Poonawalla told the BBC News website.
The new Phantom luxury car with electronically operated seats and plush interiors has a 6.75 litre, 12 cylinder engine with a top speed of 240km (150 miles)/hour and it accelerates to 100km in 5.9 seconds.

Concerns

Six of Mr Poonawalla's chauffeurs are receiving special training on how to drive and maintain the car from a Rolls Royce representative flown in from London to Mumbai (Bombay).
Mr Poonawalla does have concerns about driving a luxury car like Phantom on the pot-holed, traffic choked roads of India where vehicles travel cheek by jowl and easily bump into and scrape against each other.
"It is frightening at times with all the lorries and trucks on our roads. But till now, none of my Rolls Royce cars have been involved in any brushes," he says.
Yohan Poonawalla with two of his Rolls Royce cars

Imports of Rolls Royces came to a virtual halt half a century ago due to stifling government regulations on overseas goods.
A car industry expert reckons that there are some 200 Rolls Royces on Indian roads today, a good number of them in the cities of Mumbai and Indore.
Even though there is a steep 107% duty on importing luxury cars into India, there has been some interest in the comeback of the Rolls Royce.
Mumbai-based Navnit Motors, the only Rolls Royce dealer in India, is hoping to sell eight cars in the first year.

Niche market

"We have quite a few enquiries from industrialists, the rich and celebrities from all over the country," says Navnit Kachalia of Navnit Motors.
"It is a very niche market. The buyers who have wealth, and a passion for cars are our customers."
The world's most famous car was born in Manchester

The market for high-price, luxury cars in an India with a rising number of new economy millionaires, is still small.
DaimlerChrysler has managed to sell just one of its flagship $1.15 million Maybach 62s since they introduced it in India 15 months ago.
BMW does better, selling about 150 of their top-range cars a year in India. The most expensive reach $93,000.
Landrover sells about 30 luxury models a year at a price of $162,790.
The mystique of Rolls Royce is, however, a part of India's history.
Before independence, about 730 Rolls Royce cars were imported to India, all owned by the maharajahs and a few wealthy traders.
The first car was imported in 1907, three years after the world famous company was born in Manchester.
The owner was the maharajah of the northern princely state of Gwalior, Madhav Rao Scindia.
The same year, an English businessman brought a Rolls Royce to India.

Custom made

The car, christened Pearl of the East, participated in a 620-mile 'reliability trial', travelling over six mountain passes. It also won the first prize at the Mumbai motor show.
Over the years, the company set up a repair depot in Mumbai and carried out extensive publicity tours in India taking Rolls Royce cars all over the country - a 1910 trip to Kashmir featuring a Silver Ghost, was one of them.
When the Prince of Wales visited India in 1921, many of the maharajahs ordered a number of Rolls Royce cars for the occasion.

With its high-flared wings and pointed wheel discs, polished aluminium skiff torpedo body, the Silver Ghosts were a favourite with the kings.
The maharajah of Patiala became one of the inveterate Rolls Royce collectors - and the company's best pre-war client - with 44 cars in his collection.
Sir Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji, maharajah of Nawanagar, who was also known as 'Ranji', one of the world's greatest cricketers, had eight Rolls Royce cars in his 450-automobile collection.
The cars meant for India were custom designed to please their rich clients.
Purdah glass in limousines, sirens, thermos flasks, hunting lamps, gun racks, ivory steering wheels and control knobs were some of the special accessories added.
India's new maharajahs are the burgeoning community of millionaires, some of whom are splurging on luxury cars.
These people, hopes Navnit Kachalia, will power the demand for luxury cars. Only time will tell whether they will begin splashing out on the Rolls Royce again.
BBC NEWS | South Asia | The maharajah's car returns to India
Old 4th May 2007, 18:57   #363
Senior - BHPian

As I said earlier, some more fotos of the Phantom I took when I visited the RR Showroom..The demo car is a base model one, but even then its very luxurious..I visit at evening,hence due to the shinny sun race at the showroom, I couldn't snap well..The interior snaps were not so clear..

Myself & my daughter enjoying the best part of the Phatom; its rear sofa seats
I wish I could drive it.
(its the rear sofa seats, I know its not clear, even then I'm posting it!)

Last edited by hanmust : 4th May 2007 at 19:02.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:13   #364
Senior - BHPian

Spotted actor Zayed Khan in the passenger seat of a golden-brown Phantom (regn 1). Cruising in Juhu with the glasses down and police security in a C class.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:09   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
well, everyones talking about it arent they? mission accomplished! any publicity is good publicity...
well said, karlos. the fact that the owners had the guts to give the car such an appearance, and even enter it into the speed run shows that they not only know what they are doing, but know how to get it talked about!

however, i would have liked it better if it were a maybach instead- the Phantom is too classy to look like that
Old 5th June 2007, 11:48   #366
Senior - BHPian

The New White RR Phantom is in the Showroom!!! at Atria !!
any guesses for who this is?? remember the gifting[payment in kind] controversy 6 months back??
Its White, and looks amazing!!
Old 5th June 2007, 11:55   #367
Senior - BHPian

Yep Scooby saw it on Sunday alongside the silver one. I'm guessing this is for Big B the "farmer"?
Old 5th June 2007, 12:01   #368
BHPian

shes a beauty in white..what a sight on the road.
Old 5th June 2007, 12:19   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Yep Scooby saw it on Sunday alongside the silver one. I'm guessing this is for Big B the "farmer"?
Damn, farmers are getting rich these days!!!!!
Old 5th June 2007, 12:24   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Yes it should be his!!, but see the situation, Loads of farmers commit suicide due to bad crops, no water etc, etc, and some buy RR's!!
and our Dear PM and FM say excess show/diplay of wealth is not desirable and so pay packages of proffesionals should be cut!!
Old 5th June 2007, 13:50   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Yes it should be his!!, but see the situation, Loads of farmers commit suicide due to bad crops, no water etc, etc, and some buy RR's!!
and our Dear PM and FM say excess show/diplay of wealth is not desirable and so pay packages of proffesionals should be cut!!
too good scooby
Old 7th June 2007, 22:11   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
The New White RR Phantom is in the Showroom!!! at Atria !!
any guesses for who this is?? remember the gifting[payment in kind] controversy 6 months back??
Its White, and looks amazing!!
Hmm looks more off white that White.Not even pearl white.
Photos dont really show the off white though.

Wonder where the silver one went.

Old 7th June 2007, 23:23   #373
Senior - BHPian

Dan the last time I passed by the showroom on Sunday , it had both the silver and the white one together inside.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:25   #374
BHPian

Dont you know - If you buy a something thro "The Mobile Shop" you could be the luck winner to get a ride in the RR!
Old 8th June 2007, 14:55   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Dont you know - If you buy a something thro "The Mobile Shop" you could be the luck winner to get a ride in the RR!
its on the front page of the Mumbai edition of Mid-day..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks