Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

I also feel that the Maybach is an overgrown S class. Mercedes really ought to have made it look a bit different than their top-of-the-line saloon!
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

but the maybach is doing well in other countries isnt it?

even otherwise maybach never sold like rolls royce in india even in the past

maybe because it was a german car, and in british ruled india ,high stature people chose the rolls as a status symbol
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:00   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
but the maybach is doing well in other countries isnt it?

even otherwise maybach never sold like rolls royce in india even in the past

maybe because it was a german car, and in british ruled india ,high stature people chose the rolls as a status symbol

Hmm I am not very sure whether the Maybach is doing well anywhere except the Middle East. Their sales are lagging behind their targets in the US and UK.

Usually its the Nouveau Rich who love the Maybach vs the Phantom.

As so many people say, the Maybach just looks like a bigger/overgrown S Class!
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:05   #79
Team-BHP Support

Apprarently the Maybach is a really good business tool - working on the move and also comfortwise. Its driving dynamics are better than the Rolls. Call it a personal executive road jet. Get in, continue working, get out and onto the next meeting!

But at this level, it is about the sense of occasion and thats where the Rolls wins, it has character, all the design cues were carefully researched. You get in, you know you are in a Rolls and are flaunting yourself!
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:34   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I also feel that the Maybach is an overgrown S class. Mercedes really ought to have made it look a bit different than their top-of-the-line saloon!
Of course it is. And while at it, you can only compare it to the previous gen (W220) S-Class.

The W221 is way superior.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:45   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The W221 is way superior.
W221 > Maybach

A current owner Maybach owner in India is planning on getting the 62S, last i heard from the source that it would come next month. I hope they haven't shelved the plans as there were a couple of other cars on order by them too.
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:11   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
W221 > Maybach
Of course! The W221 is a far more technologically advanced car than the almost decade old Maybach. As an example, compare the 7 speed slushbox of the S to the 5 speed of the Maybach. Plus AWD, night vision, massaging heat / cooling seats etc etc. Depending on the variant, you can have more power, features, and gizmos in the S as compared to the Maybach. And at a fraction of the price. The W221 is an entire generation ahead.

Is there any doubt why Maybach sales are floundering? It's little more than an overgrown S-Class. And an old one at that. Quite simply, it is a pointless purchase unless you only care for the prestige that comes with a 4 crore car. But then, you have the RR Phantom which beats the Maybach on snob value.
Old 4th October 2008, 17:58   #83
BHPian

The Maybach is for the Nouveau rich?? i think you got it the wrong way round in todays world. The rolls is for the Nouveau rich as they have no style and only want the rolls for the name and the way it looks. the attention it gets them...

The Maybach is for the man who doesn't care if people notice his car or not... he wants it for himself. Thats why he chooses to spend more on ultimate comfort rather than spending less and everyone around him knowing that he has a 'ROLLER!'

The Rolls comfort compared to the Maybach is like a joke. Its like and E class S class thing.
Old 4th October 2008, 18:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Like someone said, the Maybach is a efficient business tool, not an art piece like the Phantom.

After production of this body ends, it will be quickly forgotten again unlike the Rolls.
Old 4th October 2008, 18:51   #85
BHPian

Yes I agree liv2drv that the comfort level on the Maybach would be more because of the First Classesque rear seats. The Phantom is more traditional in that sense with the Sofaesque seats.

And Yes the Rolls is all about style. But isnt that the point people buy the Rolls or Maybach? Maybe some people use the Maybach as a business tool, wherein the choice is very logical, but it is outdated now. The sales are plummeting and it never made Mercedes a profit. I guess the reason is cuz most of the sales are in Russia(New Money) and the Middle East(Too much money + Pompous). Everywhere else Maybach is not meeting its targets.

IMO no intelligent person would buy a Maybach unless he/she does business most of the time travelling on the road and which is the only situation it beats the Rolls. All other sales would be just for prestige.

Nothing personal at all just my HO!
Old 5th October 2008, 14:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
Yes I agree liv2drv that the comfort level on the Maybach would be more because of the First Classesque rear seats. The Phantom is more traditional in that sense with the Sofaesque seats.
Also since the Maybachs rear seats are adjustable (incline etc.). AFAIK, the RR Phantom rear bench has a fixed posture.
Old 5th October 2008, 15:01   #87
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Also since the Maybachs rear seats are adjustable (incline etc.). AFAIK, the RR Phantom rear bench has a fixed posture.
really? wow .. 3. 5 crores and not a recilining seat?? the s class is better than the phantom in such aspects...!!
Old 6th October 2008, 20:10   #88
BHPian

So much Maybach hate. Yes, RR is an amazing car, and falls into the same luxury category as the Maybach.

Like some members have all ready stated, both have their advantages.

Biggest advantage for RR being it's stunning looks, and the brand name of not just RR but also 'Phantom' (cars which were made before some of us were even born).

Maybach has its own advantages. Majorly, the luxury of the rear seat (the most important thing imho for picking a car of this size). They really take it to another level and I don't think RR is at par.

I personally am a huge 62 fanboy.

Comparison pictures of both interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of the Maybach 62 in india & A personal encounter on Page 4-rollsroyce_phantom_222156g.jpg  

Pics of the Maybach 62 in india & A personal encounter on Page 4-maybachlandauletstudy11422.jpg  

discobiscuit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 20:34   #89
Team-BHP Support

Let me try again

Maybach - designed by crack engineers
Rolls Royce - designed by engineer artisians
Old 6th October 2008, 21:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Let me try again

Maybach - designed by crack engineers
Rolls Royce - designed by engineer artisians
Maybach + Rolls Royce - both beyond most of our wildest dreams or deepest pockets, so let's stop all the hate. They're both German underneath it all. Hail Hitler.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks