Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:16   #31
BHPian

Re: My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Exemplary choice of Wheels buddy. And your patience to wait for 2 years for right set of wheels. You precisely knew what you wanted to the T. Buddy whats the price you got it for? You paid a premium coz of the clean looks and since their were no clean examples available. Again an excellent choice.
Thanks a lot, Yes i did pay a premium for the way it was maintained and it actually was worth it. Would be better if you PM me for the further monetary details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Great thread man, brought back memories. I would go to the first service( in your ownership ) if I were you and get things done in front of me. It is extremely important that the engine oil is not overfilled and all measurement using the digital gauge be done on a level surface and when the car reaches operating temperature. Also the Radiators tend to accumulate leaves, please clean them to ensure the engine the engine can be cooled properly. Please also keep in mind that the wheel nuts need to be torqued properly alongwith any other critical components.
Happy motoring !
Hi, Thanks a lot for the appreciation and useful information. I read that the sump capacity is 7.5L, but even on filling 8 or 8.5L it won't show as overfilled as its a dry sump setup (But is harmful as more oil pressure will lead to seal leakage inside the engine) and as you mentioned one has to be very careful in filling the correct amount of oil and check on a proper levelled surface. I will post more details about the maintenance done soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations on your new steed. The car truly looks amazing. .
The pictures you shared are also very nice.

I am not much of a sports car fan and I lean a lot towards bikes, but the Porsche cars are the only ones that ever took my fancy. I love the time less design of the Porsches.
The Cayman looks closest to the 911 design-wise and it sounds like its a very practical usable car for our road conditions, bad roads not withstanding.
Are you planning on getting the OEM parking assistance added from the SVC?. Also, it would be good to give us an understanding of what approximately would be the regular per year maintenance cost (service and regular parts change) in a car such as this in our country. It never hurts to dream of getting one, I guess.
Wishing you many thousands of miles of fun filled motoring. Do keep the thread updated with loads of pictures. I for one can never get tired of seeing them.
Cheerio!
Thanks a lot, OEM parking assistance will need a full bumper change along with OEM sensors and will have an exorbitant price, so ill be able to manage with the current setup.
Will give details on how i plan to maintain the car soon and keep the thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufeez1234 View Post
Does Porsche provide extended warranties to such cars? If no, what are the things that may go wrong mechanical and electrical wise?
Also where do you plan to maintain your car, ASC or independent garage?
No extended warranties are provided for a 10 year old car by Porsche. The car had a Long Life (Anti perforation) warranty which just expired as it completed 10 years.
Will give details on planned maintenance soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
congrats on the buy and wishing you lots of happy miles with the car.
My story is almost similar, I got my 2014 981 CS in January. It took me one year and checking out 6-7 Porsches (Cayman S & GTS) and other RWD cars (370z, E92 M3) to finally end up buying the one that ticked all boxes.
Thanks a lot & many congratulations on your 2014 981 Cayman S. Hope to see your ownership thread soon.
123.rishabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:52   #32
BHPian

Taking care of the car in the correct manner is of utmost importance and if done right the car can last a lifetime.
Porsche ASS is one option where I can get it maintained, & believe that an ASS is the best place to maintain any car (In most cases). In case of a Porsche ASS the cost is nearly 3 or 4 times more than what you will pay if you do work on your own.
Now, the main question is how to source parts?
There are several places in Delhi/Mumbai where we can get Porsche parts but I have observed and seen duplicate Porsche parts through many of these sources while we were working on my friends Boxter S. I was lucky enough to see the slight difference in PORSCHE font on the box of the Oil filter and immediately avoid fitting the same part.

To solve this problem i started searching for Authorised Porsche dealers who can do counter sale of parts, but they were not interested.
Finally on a Porsche Owners club i saw a post about a US based Porsche & Volkswagen authorised new car dealer in Sarasota, Florida by the name of Suncoast Porsche
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-1.png
They have an online website which offers all spare parts and also ship abroad (Shipping can be a bit expensive)

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-2.png
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-3.png
Some of my cousins are there in US and i have ordered all my regular service parts from here like Air,Oil,Cabin Filters, Drain bolt & crush washer.
Sourced the oil from India (Most good fully synthetic 5W40 oils meet the Porsche A40 requirement & It does not need any super specific oil like VW 507 (Low saps) grade needed on my A4 Diesel)
Was very happy on receiving the parts and they were all original. Post the service the car runs super smooth.
Also flushed the brake oil using the Schawaben european pressure bleeder (Borrowed from a friend) and also shampooed the brake callipers using a tooth brush and waxed them

Doing a regular service is easy on this car, but in case of some major part change it can be a tedious task due to the placement of the Mid engine layout.
Also cleaned out the front condensers and radiators using compressed air followed by low pressure water.

Last edited by 123.rishabh : 2nd July 2020 at 21:53.
123.rishabh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
Pain Point- Not being used to high power RWD cars, I managed to almost spin out the car on a sharp turn once, when i started to accelerate it (Sports Mode) while exiting the curve. Will need a lot of practice for this.

Was curious on how difficult would it be for people to handle RWD Rear engine cars with higher power.
Have mentioned this as a high risk area under Indian conditions in my review of the 718: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4469840 (Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The limited travel suspension which gets twitchy and fidgety at high speeds on Indian roads that makes the car lose traction easily.

This twitching also happens on fast cornering, so if you're taking a fast corner, you need to provide for the possible loss of traction and the tail wag if you hit a bump or if the road is uneven and accordingly slow down well beiow your limits as you may not have the space to reel the back in. While this is actually an enjoyable feature for the enthusiast, under Indian conditions and on expressways, a tail wag could mean you don't have the leeway to bring the back in as you would have a car or a truck or two right next to you. On expressways, autobahns or country roads that have sparse traffic as found in some regions abroad, you could have the time of your life drifting away through all corners.
Had the Cayman with me - some pics of sideways fun with the car:
Attached Thumbnails
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-fullsizerender.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-fullsizerender2.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-fullsizerender3.jpg  

Last edited by AMG Power : 3rd July 2020 at 08:55.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:32   #34
BHPian

Super review Rishabh! Congrats on this truly aspirational car. I took a short test drive of the new boxter couple of weeks ago and the word that screams in my mind the most is "gokart!" Wish you many years of safe drives in your car! #staysafe

Last edited by motorotor : 3rd July 2020 at 09:32. Reason: grammatical error
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Have mentioned this as a high risk area under Indian conditions in my review of the 718
Cant imagine driving mine on loose tarmac/gravel like that, hope it was a test drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorotor View Post
Super review Rishabh! Congrats on this truly aspirational car. I took a short test drive of the new boxter couple of weeks ago and the word that screams in my mind the most is "gokart!" Wish you many years of safe drives in your car! #staysafe
Thanks a lot, if the 718 feels like a go kart then the 987 will feel like a go kart pro max (cause hydraulic steering)
123.rishabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 10:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cant imagine driving mine on loose tarmac/gravel like that
Those pics were the milder moments. Try and spot the Cayman below.(No prizes for guessing what's being done with the car)
Attached Thumbnails
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-1image.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 22:52   #37
BHPian

I had read every bit of BHPian Dante's thread which he had posted in 2009 right from the booking to delivery details. He had mentioned that his was the First car of 987.2 generation and another white one was coming with his car.
Link to his Thread- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...-s-gen-ii.html (My Porsche 987 Cayman S Gen II)

Fast forward to 2020- While cleaning my car, i found another shipping document (From Hamburg to Nhava Sheva Port) just very similar to my car. On reading it properly i saw it had SPEED GLEB (Speed Yellow on translation) & SAND BEIGE AKK, written in front of the Exterior and Interior colour codes.
I immediately sent the document to Dante as he had a Speed yellow car and to my surprise he confirmed that the VIN number on the shipping document belonged to his car and he was also shocked on me finding it after almost 10 years in my car.
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200705_222504.jpg
Also found some other transport documents from the port to the dealer Shreans Automobile (Both cars sent by same truck)
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200705_223444.jpg
With this we could confirm that my car was also imported along with his car and these were the first 987.2 generation Cayman's to reach Indian shores.
It is actually a small world after all

Here is a pic from Dante's thread when he first went to see his car at the dealer in 2009, and mine was parked in front (Dealer PDI being done)
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-005.jpg

Last edited by 123.rishabh : 5th July 2020 at 22:54.
123.rishabh is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 22:40   #38
BHPian

Gave her a nice wash and wax today.
Using pressure washers is not allowed in the society where I stay, hence used the Bucket method.
Used Sonax Gloss shampoo followed by a single coat of Chemical Guys Extreme topcoat sealant & Armorall Tyre Gel.
I prefer using amazon basics microfiber for washing, but use it only once on this car in order to avoid scratches. What other wash mitts are you guys using and how often do you replace it ?
Attached Thumbnails
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200801_223402.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img_20200801_222639_779.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img_20200801_222651_570.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img_20200801_182826_097.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img_20200801_223302_314.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200801_222455.jpg  

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200801_222339.jpg  

Last edited by 123.rishabh : 1st August 2020 at 22:57.
123.rishabh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 23:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Used Sonax Gloss shampoo followed by a single coat of Chemical Guys Extreme topcoat sealant & Armorall Tyre Gel.
I prefer using amazon basis microfiber for washing, but use it only once on this car in order to avoid scratches. What other wash mitts are you guys using and how often do you replace it ?
I would recommend you to get it PPFed provided you are planning to keep it for long.

If not please do get it ceramic coated which will preserve the paint.

The coating will also help you in maintaining the car just by using the 2 bucket method.

A few products which are must in my opinion:-

1.Gyeon Q2M Mitt/Gyeon Q2M Woolie(Either)
2.Carpro Ech02 for Waterless/Rinseless wash
3.Gyeon Bathe+ for regular washing
4.Gyeon Q2M Silk Dryer for Drying ONLY
5. Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner to get rid of the brake dust and grime on the alloys. (A Must)
6.Carpro Perl for all the Plastics, Trims, Tyres.
7.A few Carpro BOA towels for Waterless/Rinseless wash.
8.Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush (Large) for cleaning the wheel wells and alloys

Please note I have no affiliation with any of the above brands and the recommendation is based upon my own experience after using products from different brands.

All of them are available in India so availability is not an issue.

Wash mitts if maintained and cared for can last really long.

Avoid using the same wash mitt on the lower sections of the car where most of the mud and grime gets deposited.

For that portion use a low-quality mitt (The current mitt you have ) as it will be abused more than the other one and replacing it time to time won't hurt.

Last edited by Artyom : 1st August 2020 at 23:24.
Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:37   #40
BHPian

Few pics taken at the Independence day drive 2020 My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200815_173625.jpg

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200815_173542.jpg

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20200815_173111.jpg
123.rishabh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 06:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Your review reminds me of the Porsche ad.

https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU
A truly beautiful ad! Love it! Thanks for sharing it. Evokes emotions, once you have lived that ad!

Completely true too - 3 moments:
1. The day I fell in love with a 911, around 15-16 years back (with a 997.1 specifically).
2. The 15-16 years that passed in between
3. Coronavirus & the year I decided to finally fulfill that dream.

To the OP:
Absolutely gorgeous car & choice.
I do feel, the Flat 6 Cayman is an easier & hence better choice in India to live with, than a 911, due to many reasons. Wishing you miles & miles of emotive driving :-)

Last edited by anks_at : 8th October 2020 at 06:35.
anks_at is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 02:24   #42
BHPian

Congrats Rishabh!

From clicking the Petra and the fun meet scenes to see you moving to the Porsche. Truly a pleasure for the eyes.

Good luck and miles with the unicorn.
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:13   #43

The Porsche Cayman S is a great choice. The ultimate driver's car by a mile. I had driven the 2011 second generation Cayman S in the UK for a couple of days. The same car as yours. The precise steering feedback and razor sharp handling has stayed with me. Wish I had this car in my garage. I live in Gurugram, and drive an old Fiat.
SamDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 20:15   #44
BHPian

The car has completed 1 year with me and it has been a wonderful experience so far.
It is becoming difficult to drive it in Delhi with the 50km/h speed limits & cameras in place and is now limited to short spins in Gurugram & NH8.

Was doing a regular cleanup of the engine bay and noticed a crack in one of the pipes behind the engine scavenging fan behind the drivers door area. It was one of the AC hoses.
On reading further i found out that it is a common issue in these cars when the AC hose starts to slightly brush against the engine scavenging fan and that starts tearing it apart.
People replace it and use an additional zip tie just to keep it away from the fan.

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-cut-1.jpg
Marked in Yellow is the AC pipe which was damaged
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-cut-2.jpg
Marked in Red is the Fan which was brushing against it
Name:  pipe.gif
Views: 2429
Size:  20.4 KB
Marked in Yellow is the part to be replaced.

Arranged the new part, it was a rubber hose with aluminium pipe on both ends & new O rings.
The access was difficult as the intake manifold had to be removed and the pipe was to be disconnected from the compressor behind the passenger seat.
Got it replaced, did a leak test with Robin Air A/C recovery and recycling machine & used the same to refresh the AC system with new R134 Gas and ND8 specification PAG compressor oil.

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img20201031wa0009.jpg
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img20201031wa0011.jpg
Waiting for a wash with her german cousin

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-picsart_111507.59.18.jpg
Ready to rock with Petrolhead Me :P
123.rishabh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 19:50   #45
BHPian

The rear tyres were slightly worn from the inner side due to improper alignment so planned to get them changed.
Thanks to the Tyre import ban there were pretty old stock tyres available in the market and pricing varied a lot among various dealers.
Finally settled for the Falken Azenis FK453 model, as i got a 1+2 year unconditional warranty, latest manufacturing (2018 end lot made in Japan) and a decent price.
Plan to get them fitted on the car soon !
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img_20201107_192909_644.jpg

Magic Seats of the Jazz put to good use

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20201128_141053.jpg

My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-20201128_141059.jpg
123.rishabh is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks