Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 22:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Booked my 2011 HD XL1200X Forty Eight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
@avneeshj
USPS is always the best & the cheapest option, they have a tie up with EMS so its good.
UPS/DHL/FEDEX are so darn expensive that u wont beleive the price of shipping.
Thanks for the input there. My experiences with USPS have been those of very very slow deliveries after weeks of calling the local post office. Lets see what kind of quotes I get from the inquiries I have sent out for both USPS and DHL/FedEx. Most likely I am getting all the stuff right now from the dealer unless there is a huge difference since I want it quick. From here on however, it'll all be sourced from the US.
Old 14th July 2011, 08:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
The fact that random people might try sitting/touching my bike while it is parked has me worried and hence I am spending money on the security system. It's not cheap so I am re-thinking my decision.

I have emailed a couple of US based dealers with eBay stores asking them for shipping quotes for shipment of 3-4 items together. I'll keep this space updated about the replies I receive from them.
Mate,
Even if people do touch/fiddle during unattended parking slots there would be no way that the security FOB will be able to discourage them. All that it would do is to kick off a racket which everyone will be amazed with and spend more time as to how the racket came in. On the long run it might have an impact on your battery longevity.
Regarding the duty, usually they charge 30% duty on the overall costs. The overall costs means cost price of item + Shipping costs.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
Even if people do touch/fiddle during unattended parking slots there would be no way that the security FOB will be able to discourage them. All that it would do is to kick off a racket which everyone will be amazed with and spend more time as to how the racket came in. On the long run it might have an impact on your battery longevity.
You have made me rethink my decision of going in with the security system. I think I'm better off saving my cash and just going to places with parking where I can see my bike or I can have someone look after it.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have made me rethink my decision of going in with the security system. I think I'm better off saving my cash and just going to places with parking where I can see my bike or I can have someone look after it.
Glad that you are giving it a good thought, as a matter of fact am bit skeptical putting even the disc lock as invariable people will try to sit on the bike when it is not meant to be jerked around with. Instead paying the security the odd 5or 10 buck note should save your bike from miscreants.

Hope you have factored in the remap of ECU post you fitting the screaming eagles exhaust? Believe you might need to upgrade the air filter from the standard to a much free flowing one.

Any feelers on your delivery dates?

Last edited by ku69rd : 14th July 2011 at 11:23.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Instead paying the security the odd 5or 10 buck note should save your bike from miscreants.
Don't you think you are putting too much faith in parking attendants? On many occasions, they are the miscreants. If the OP is so worried about safety, it's best to leave the bike at home when venturing to a mall or other place where the bike is not parked nearby/within visible area.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Don't you think you are putting too much faith in parking attendants? On many occasions, they are the miscreants. If the OP is so worried about safety, it's best to leave the bike at home when venturing to a mall or other place where the bike is not parked nearby/within visible area.
Guess we ought to be prudent, agree we do have black sheep in the herd. It has worked for me majorly. But yes generally avoiding the malls/public parking slots would be better off. No second thoughts
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Glad that you are giving it a good thought, as a matter of fact am bit skeptical putting even the disc lock as invariable people will try to sit on the bike when it is not meant to be jerked around with. Instead paying the security the odd 5or 10 buck note should save your bike from miscreants.

Hope you have factored in the remap of ECU post you fitting the screaming eagles exhaust? Believe you might need to upgrade the air filter from the standard to a much free flowing one.

Any feelers on your delivery dates?
Yeah actually I just called the dealer and cancelled the Security System bit from my order. Regarding ECU remap, I do not need it right now as I am only changing the exhaust. Once I go in for either the Stage I air cleaner or the Heavy Breather air cleaner I'd have to remap the ECU. I haven't decided if I'll go with one of these or with a different one later on so we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
I think I have some workarounds for this and now this security bit shouldn't be an issue.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding ECU remap, I do not need it right now as I am only changing the exhaust. Once I go in for either the Stage I air cleaner or the Heavy Breather air cleaner I'd have to remap the ECU. I haven't decided if I'll go with one of these or with a different one later on so we'll see.
:
Okies, my friend was suggested by Tusker HD, Bangalore that the exhaust, air filter and remap are mandatory as a package when you decide on the screaming eagles. Would this be inconsistency from HD Dealers?
Do have a second opinion before you decide to take the plunge.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Okies, my friend was suggested by Tusker HD, Bangalore that the exhaust, air filter and remap are mandatory as a package when you decide on the screaming eagles. Would this be inconsistency from HD Dealers?
Do have a second opinion before you decide to take the plunge.
So I checked up on this. If one of either the air filter or exhaust is being fit, no remap is necessary. Once both are being put, a remap is needed. Also, Screaming eagle spark plug and wires along with exhaust and air filter completes the Stage 1 upgrade. Additionally I was told that it's generally recommended to at least wait for run in to be complete before going for an air filter upgrade.

If anyone else on this board can shed more light on this, it would be useful.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
So I checked up on this. If one of either the air filter or exhaust is being fit, no remap is necessary. Once both are being put, a remap is needed. Also, Screaming eagle spark plug and wires along with exhaust and air filter completes the Stage 1 upgrade. Additionally I was told that it's generally recommended to at least wait for run in to be complete before going for an air filter upgrade.

If anyone else on this board can shed more light on this, it would be useful.
I'm sorry to crash your party but if u just change the exhaust from stock to SE or any aftermarket your bike's gonna run lean.

It is advisable that you do go for a heavy breather or AN-BS or some sorta air filter
Most ppl that I know of dont run the bike just changing the pipes coz of the above reason
Old 15th July 2011, 12:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry to crash your party but if u just change the exhaust from stock to SE or any aftermarket your bike's gonna run lean.

It is advisable that you do go for a heavy breather or AN-BS or some sorta air filter
Most ppl that I know of dont run the bike just changing the pipes coz of the above reason
I was under the impression that this would be needed if I went in for some free flowing exhaust and that putting the Screamin Eagle Slip-on mufflers wouldn't need it. I have posted on a couple different HD forums about this also. Let's see what answers I get.

I am also thinking about something like K&N Air Filter and if it would do the job. Although now my concern is once Air Cleaner is changed I would need a remap right?
Old 15th July 2011, 16:09   #27
BHPian

Re: Questions after booking the 2011 HD XL1200X Forty Eight!

This is the reply I received over at HDForums.

Quote:
You can absolutely add the SE's without changing the AC or re-mapping. You will maintain the needed back pressure with no sweat. You will not, however, attain any increase in speed/power nor achieve any type of performance increase. You will simply be altering the sound of the exhaust note.

If you open the intake (AC change to free-flow type & re-map - i.e., intake part of Stage I) you would have to swap out the restrictive stock mufflers to allow the increased exhaust gases to flow with less restriction or risk devasting over heating and too much back pressure against the valves.

Just want a better sound? Go ahead and add the SE's with no other mods and you'll have no problems.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
This is the reply I received over at HDForums.
Yup HDForums has wealth of info.
There are tons of seasoned riders over there. If you got an answer from there then pretty much I can vouch on the credibility.

Are u going for a full exhaust change or just adding a slip on

Again if you are adding slip on then I wouldnt advice for a AC or remap but just in cast if you gonna change the whole pipes then I guess that would be a wise option
Old 15th July 2011, 22:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

That's really good to read, Spoke with my friend and he has opted for the complete silencer kit and not just for the slip ons. Thanks for the learner/tip Avneesh & Shrini.
So would this advisable for any make? Slip ons dont require a AC & Remap?
Old 15th July 2011, 22:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Are u going for a full exhaust change or just adding a slip on

Again if you are adding slip on then I wouldnt advice for a AC or remap but just in cast if you gonna change the whole pipes then I guess that would be a wise option
I'm just going for the slip-on. I haven't even seen full exhaust kits for Sportsters from SE.

The info from the Bangalore HD dealer was incorrect.

Quote:
That's really good to read, Spoke with my friend and he has opted for the complete silencer kit and not just for the slip ons. Thanks for the learner/tip Avneesh & Shrini.
So would this advisable for any make? Slip ons dont require a AC & Remap?
Yeah just slip-ons wouldn't need the change. This is the link to my post over at HDForums. They have a few different slip-ons suggested in the thread. Those boards should be able to help you find good slip-on suggestions. Rush slip-ons do seem good but I don't want to go through the hassle of importing them. I'll get myself V&H Shortshots and a AN Big Sucker on the next US trip and then come and get a remap. Might even go for a SERT.

Last edited by avneeshj : 15th July 2011 at 22:30. Reason: Added another reply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks