Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 11:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Superbike Batteries

Hello everyone,

Background (you may skip this part)- I have owned a few superbikes in the past. Harley 48, Yamaha FZ1, Superlow and presently I have Ninja 1000 2016 CBU model (chronological order). One of the main reason for selling my Superlow was high maintenance cost. Small things costed bomb when purchased from Harley service centre. I have always maintained my motorcycles in top-notch condition, timely serviced, detailed and accessorized. Like most of the people even I likes to buy only value for money items, sometimes I even do not mind paying extra for better quality and longevity of the item.

Coming to the battery talks:-
On last Sunday (3rd October 2020), the battery of my Ninja 1000 died. I enquired for a new battery at many superbike workshops, but due to the pandemic, no one had it in stock. Hence hunt for alternate batteries started. After discussing with a fellow rider (Yogisaya09's), I came to know that there are some Indian batteries which are a direct fit for many superbikes.

Here are the specifications of Ninja 1000 battery
Make - Yuasa
Model - YT12A-BS
Rating 10.5 Ah(20HR)/175 CCA
Size - 150mm x 87mm x 105mm

Replacement Indian Batteries:-

Make - Excide Model - XLTZ9
Make - Amaron Model - AP-BTZ9R
Make - SF Sonic Model - MK1440-TZ9
Rating -8Ah(10HR)/120CCA
Size - 150mm x 87mm x 105mm

Now many will argue that CCA is less and I agree, but this CCA rating is at -18 degree Celcius, and I live in Gurgaon (Delhi NCR) where minimum temp will be 4 to 5 degrees. Just like everyone else I was also curious about CCA, so got it checked, and at 30 degrees Celcius CCA of SF sonic battery was 225 A, whereas of Yuasa dead battery (but it was just able to crank the bike after charging) was 127 CCA. I am also attaching the report of both the batteries.
Coming to ampere part, I have not installed any electrical accessories on my bike, and even with lesser life SF Sonic is not a bad deal.

Economics-
This is where it gets interesting, price is (if made available) Rs 9000 to Rs 10000 for Yuasa battery, whereas, SF Sonic cost Rs 1800 with the exchange of old battery (Without exchange it was Rs 2100).

Additional information:-
There are 14Ah and 12Ah batteries available for Harley and Renegade motorcycles which costs Rs 2500~3000.

I will post the long term reliability of battery after a few months.

PS - I am not a battery expert, I have shared my experience only. Please do correct me if quoted any wrong Information.
Attached Thumbnails
Superbike Batteries-20201008_190026.jpg  

Superbike Batteries-20201008_185916.jpg  

Superbike Batteries-20201008_185928.jpg  

Superbike Batteries-20201008_185938.jpg  

Superbike Batteries-20201008_193444.jpg  

amandeepkamboj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 11:59   #32
BHPian

When I replaced the battery, I couldn't find an Indian alternate. So, I bought BS brand battery. This was the only brand available in Cochin.
Attached Thumbnails
Superbike Batteries-battery1.jpg  

Superbike Batteries-battery.jpg  

Vmax1200 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:12   #33
BHPian

Hello Folks,

This lock down has taken its toll on My Tiger 800. The battery is DEAD and won't be coming back to life. The battery specification is Yuasa YTX16-BS 14.7 AH and I am unable to find it anywhere to purchase it on the web. Are there any cheaper indian alternatives available or i just have to get in touch with Triumph to get it changed and pay a fortune. Any suggestions on this piece.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Old 10th October 2020, 15:20   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
r i just have to get in touch with Triumph to get it changed and pay a fortune. Any suggestions on this piece.
Just blindly go with the Triumph one, mine lasted 5 years and intact was working fine. I changed as a proactive measure and old battery is being used by a friend in his Enfield even now. It costs some 5800 bucks brand new from Triumph. If you run auxiliary lights, double the reason to get the Triumph ones.

By the way how old is your battery and did you try charging it?
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 23:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Not sure about the age of the battery, but I bought this bike in January 2017 and it was imported in 2016. So, I guess it is going to be 4-5 years old. I tried charging it with my home inverter and it did not even gave a spark after 1 hour of charging.

I will get in touch with Triumph and get it changed. Thanks for the comment!

Cheers!
Slushmaster
Old 11th October 2020, 07:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
Hello Folks,

This lock down has taken its toll on My Tiger 800. The battery is DEAD and won't be coming back to life. The battery specification is Yuasa YTX16-BS 14.7 AH and I am unable to find it anywhere to purchase it on the web. Are there any cheaper indian alternatives available or I just have to get in touch with Triumph to get it changed and pay a fortune. Any suggestions on this piece.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
You may try Excide 12XL14L-A2 or SF Sonic SQ1440-TZ14L-A2
I am not sure about the size, but you may take old battery along and check the size physically.
Above are my suggestions, please check the actual size and CCA before buying.
It is for Rs 3000 or so, if you can get original make battery for Rs 5800. Nothing like it.
amandeepkamboj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandeepkamboj View Post
It is for Rs 3000 or so, if you can get original make battery for Rs 5800. Nothing like it.
I think you are right, let me get it from Triumph as there is not a huge difference.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Old 13th December 2020, 21:39   #38
BHPian

I am looking for kawasaki z800 battery, but, I am not able to get any 8ah/9ah batteries in Coimbatore. Tried ordering from batterywale, but, they dont have it either. Are the 9ah bike batteries not available in the market?
Old 13th December 2020, 22:47   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just blindly go with the Triumph one, mine lasted 5 years and intact was working fine. I changed as a proactive measure and old battery is being used by a friend in his Enfield even now. It costs some 5800 bucks brand new from Triumph. If you run auxiliary lights, double the reason to get the Triumph ones.

Same here Jaggu, mine too lasted 5 years. 4 years with the previous owner and 1 with me. Tue battery was still working when I decided to change it. she new one now costs around 6000 bucks at Triumph.

I guess Kawasaki batteries should also be available with any Kawasaki dealer.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Same here Jaggu, mine too lasted 5 years. 4 years with the previous owner and 1 with me. Tue battery was still working when I decided to change it. she new one now costs around 6000 bucks at Triumph.
Do you guys use battery chargers/conditioners like optimate/bosch/ctek etc as used in Western countries during winter months?

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:40   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Do you guys use battery chargers/conditioners like optimate/bosch/ctek etc as used in Western countries during winter months?

/surjaonwheelz
I do have a Bosch C3 and do use it on my vehicles if they are idle for very long (1 month +) or if it is showing signs of low charge. It is always a good idea to use them once in 3 months to get max out of the batteries. Being in an apartment pain is to remove and carry them up for access to AC outlet. If not i would use them more often, considering the low running these days.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

/surjaonwheelz
Personally I don't since I live in an Appartment building and there are no power points in the garage area. However I do start and keep my bike running for 10 mins if I don't use it for many weeks to keep the battery in better condition. I live in a hot weather city so for me it's not really necessary but if you live in a very cold area it may be a good idea to use a battery tender during the winter months.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I guess Kawasaki batteries should also be available with any Kawasaki dealer.
Well thats the first place I checked. Not available anywhere, at least in this city.
Old 14th December 2020, 19:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitRavi07 View Post
I am looking for kawasaki z800 battery, but, I am not able to get any 8ah/9ah batteries in Coimbatore. Tried ordering from batterywale, but, they dont have it either. Are the 9ah bike batteries not available in the market?

If you have already tried calling the local Amaron dealer and have had no luck, and are willing to pay premium, you could buy this:
https://www.swastikfabs.com/index.ph...product_id=794

Expensive at 7+k, but Varta is a trusted brand.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Personally I don't since I live in an Appartment building and there are no power points in the garage area. However I do start and keep my bike running for 10 mins if I don't use it for many weeks to keep the battery in better condition. I live in a hot weather city so for me it's not really necessary but if you live in a very cold area it may be a good idea to use a battery tender during the winter months.
Just been thru this thread, both my bikes GSF1250 and Ninja 1000 run on Exide and Amaron Batteries, no issues faced as such even on the older ones which ran Exide battries.
Recently I replaced the Bandit's battery and these 8/9ah batts are out of stock and being sold at black market rates if you really keen on buying. I paid the MRP cost and gave my old battery as well.
Since my work schedule is like I am out of the country for couple of months and back for a month or so, i always leave my car and bike batteries connected and during that period no one touches or fires them up.
Car battery usually drains but both the bike crank up at the first self even after 2 months of stand still and i dont use any external chargers.
I was stuck abroad for 6 months during the lockdown period and no one touched my vehicles. Car battery went down to 1V (i suspect a leak ) and bike batts still held 12.54V and started at the first crank.

Starting the bikes at Idle wont help much but drain the battery faster, to charge these batts u have to keep the RPM over 2.5K to have sufficient current output.
yogisays0909 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks