Team-BHP - Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/141465-harley-davidson-superlow-xl883l-comprehensive-review-38.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3698441)
how did you wash your Superlow?

I washed it infrequently and only when it was really muddy. A pressure wash once a month should do the job. Use 2 micro fiber cloths. 1st to wipe off all excess water and 2nd dry one to shine out the bike. I used Formula 1 polish every 10 days to give a nice sheen to the paint and chrome parts and Waxpol vinyl and leather liquid polish to shine the black parts. The aluminum parts and headers require a little more stubborn effort to keep up the shine. But if you employ a regular cleaning regime it should work. It worked pretty well for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3698676)
I washed it infrequently and only when it was really muddy. A pressure wash once a month should do the job. Use 2 micro fiber cloths. 1st to wipe off all excess water and 2nd dry one to shine out the bike. I used Formula 1 polish every 10 days to give a nice sheen.

Sir I read online that pressure wash was bad for the paint job, with a risk of swirls? How was your experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3698682)
pressure wash was bad for the paint job, with a risk of swirls? How was your experience?

Like I said I did that very infrequently and only on parts that had dirt and grime stuck in like the lower portions of the bike or the engine fins, not on the paint job. A damp cloth was the most frequent way to clean the bike and then a shine with soft micro fiber cloth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3698441)
Dhiraj sir, (or anyone who can answer is most welcome), how did you wash your Superlow? I usually wipe it almost daily, but after a few long rides, a wipe isn't enough to get the grime out of my bike, in hard to reach places. So how do you wash it without damaging the paint or electricals in any way

I will let you in on a not so secret "secret".

WD-40.

Spray liberally in hard to reach and grimy places BEFORE washing with soap. Let it sit for a few minutes. It will bring the black back.

Avoid spraying on brake rotors and main painted areas like tank, fender, etc. No harm to the finish, but unwanted.

DO NOT panic when you see smoke coming when you start the bike after the WD40 wash. It's just the excess evaporating.

I like to start the bike and fan the smoke after I am done, which makes my dog think I've gone crazier than usual.stupid:

I don't use my pressure washer so much, not because I am against it, because I'm too lazy to hook it up. A hose with an adjustable nozzle seems to do just fine for me.

What I would recommend all Harley owners to get is a blower/drier like this:

http://www.flipkart.com/bosch-skil-f...6-f2e0ae9ea862

Will save you tons of time drying the bike, especially the fin areas. You know what I mean.
Cheers

Ride Safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3698925)
I will let you in on a not so secret "secret".

WD-40.

Spray liberally in hard to reach and grimy places BEFORE washing with soap. Let it sit for a few minutes. It will bring the black back.

Avoid spraying on brake rotors and main painted areas like tank, fender, etc. No harm to the finish, but unwanted.

Thank you Gthang. Much appreciated advice and information. Never even thought of a blower to dry it. No chance of scratches at all, then.

Hi Dheeraj,

How are you doing? Congratulations on your Heritage Classic, I am was very much fascinated with your in-depth review on Superlow. Believe it or not, I am now convinced on going for a Harley that too Superlow only after reading your posts. Till then I was only researching on RE Continental GT.

I had a question on the Ground Clearance. In several posts you have mentioned about not facing any issues in particular while you owned the bike. When I contacted the dealers they insisted on raising the height as lot of Superlow customers come back after the first service to get the suspension height raised. Is this really needed? Will it really help? Can you please shed dome light on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk28 (Post 3705514)
had a question on the Ground Clearance. In several posts you have mentioned about not facing any issues in particular while you owned the bike. When I contacted the dealers they insisted on raising the height as lot of Superlow customers come back after the first service to get the suspension height raised. Is this really needed? Will it really help? Can you please shed dome light on this?

The ground clearance of the Superlow is indeed low and you do need to change your riding style while going over speed bumps. That is in fact true for most Harleys. But once you do start slowing down on the speed breakers and get used to the suspension, it become an absolute pleasure to ride especially on the highways. What you can do is set the stock rear shockers to their stiffest settings. That did make a difference slightly in my case. Also remember that the stock suspension setup is more on a harsher side when compared to the normal Indian bikes. But then this isn't a Hero Honda, is it...lolz.

Also remember that once you buy a Harley then the Harley TAX follows i.e. you will find the urge as well as the need to upgrade many stock things on the bike, first and foremost being the exhausts, which is usually followed by the grips, the seat, the suspension etc. etc. But then there are options galore to suit each persons individual needs and requirements.

Happy Biking...

Dhiraj Ji

I have gone through the entire thread, really admire your enthusiasm and knowledge about your rides. The thread has helped in increasing my confidence in the quality & reliability of HD bikes, about which I was quite ill informed.

I was intending to buy the Street, but have somehow stretched to get myself the Iron. Booked the same last month, and though the desired color in the 2016 model is in stock, I have decided to wait and get the 2016 production model. I require very limited accessories - Crash Gaurd, rear seat, rear footpegs and backrest.
Being on a already stretched budget, I am trying to get aftermarket accessories instead of going for original HD stuff, which no doubt is of very good quality. Hence I seek yours & fellow BHPians' help in understanding available options for after market accessories for my machine from Karol Bagh or elsewhere in Delhi.

Thanks & Regards
Bhatt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhatt (Post 3930980)
I am trying to get aftermarket accessories instead of going for original HD stuff, which no doubt is of very good quality. Hence I seek yours & fellow BHPians' help in understanding available options for after market accessories for my machine from Karol Bagh or elsewhere in Delhi.

Thanks & Regards
Bhatt

Hi sir. Since you say you're on a stretched budget, my opinion would be to only get the crash guard and use the bike stock for 1000km or so. What this does is it allows you to decide what exactly you need and what your usage is. You may realise you use it only for weekend rides and 50k odd spent on a rear seat, pegs and sissy bar was a waste. The suspension for 2016 has been improved, it used to be a prime target for upgrades, but you may still find the need to upgrade. Same with the seat. Improved, but you may feel you need something else. At which point the rear seat and sissy bar may be incompatible and require changing all over again. The Stage 1 upgrade is also something that is advisable. The bikes from the factory are extremely lean, and our Indian fuel makes the issue worse. Free flowing pipes, high flow air cleaner and a fuel management system make a HUGE difference to the bike. Apart from this the daymaker headlight is also a worthwhile investment if you ride a lot at night. As you can see, there are lots of directions your mods could go, so it makes sense to wait until you know what you need. Apart from the headlight, I'd suggest you look at the aftermarket. You'll get similar or better quality, better performance from the part, at a cheaper rate outside. Feel free to PM me for a shop that served me well. Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3930986)
The Stage 1 upgrade is also something that is advisable. The bikes from the factory are extremely lean, and our Indian fuel makes the issue worse. Free flowing pipes, high flow air cleaner and a fuel management system make a HUGE difference to the bike. Apart from this the daymaker headlight is also a worthwhile investment if you ride a lot at night. As you can see, there are lots of directions your mods could go, so it makes sense to wait until you know what you need. Apart from the headlight, I'd suggest you look at the aftermarket. You'll get similar or better quality, better performance from the part, at a cheaper rate outside. Feel free to PM me for a shop that served me well. Good luck

Thanks KhalDrogo for your inputs. Completely agree on the suggestion of just going for a crash guard now, and to look for other accessories later, as per my requirements. Actually I am not too fond of the bike's look with the pillion seat, and would rather give it a skip, until the time I no longer can ;)

Also, as suggested, I would rather spend on performance enhancement upgrades than the aesthetic ones. But those will also have to wait until I have a clear understanding of the bike's strengths & requirements. What I am not able to fathom is the delay the 2016 production model is taking to reach their dealer network. Just can't wait to get my hands on the machine. Have PMed you for the shop's contact. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhatt (Post 3930999)
Thanks KhalDrogo for your inputs. Completely agree on the suggestion of just going for a crash guard now, and to look for other accessories later, as per my requirements. Actually I am not too fond of the bike's look with the pillion seat, and would rather give it a skip, until the time I no longer can ;)

Also, as suggested, I would rather spend on performance enhancement upgrades than the aesthetic ones. But those will also have to wait until I have a clear understanding of the bike's strengths & requirements. What I am not able to fathom is the delay the 2016 production model is taking to reach their dealer network. Just can't wait to get my hands on the machine. Have PMed you for the shop's contact. Thanks again.

2016 deliveries have begun already. Almost everyone I know who books a harley is quoted outrageous wait ing periods, but a favour here, a stern word there and a few trips to the dealership usually result in a quicker delivery period.
If you do decide on performance upgrades down the line, please update your own ownership thread. I have a feel suggestions I'd love to share. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3931002)
2016 deliveries have begun already. Almost everyone I know who books a harley is quoted outrageous wait ing periods, but a favour here, a stern word there and a few trips to the dealership usually result in a quicker delivery period.
If you do decide on performance upgrades down the line, please update your own ownership thread. I have a feel suggestions I'd love to share. Good luck.

Are you sure about 2016 deliveries already starting? My Dealer has been very upfront about 2016 Model stock being available, and in the color I need. Just that it is the 2015 December production models they have in stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhatt (Post 3931009)
Are you sure about 2016 deliveries already starting? My Dealer has been very upfront about 2016 Model stock being available, and in the color I need. Just that it is the 2015 December production models they have in stock.

Yes, I have seen 2016 models on the road in Goa, as well as pictures online on this forum itself from owners. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors from Harley showrooms sadly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3931015)
Yes, I have seen 2016 models on the road in Goa, as well as pictures online on this forum itself from owners. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors from Harley showrooms sadly.

Well, I guess they could be 2015 December production models, as Harley's model year starts from August. I basically need the same bike, just need the VIN number to denote one year less. Though I am sure of keeping this bike for a very long period, still the urge to upgrade may strike, in which case the resale value will vary basis the model year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhatt (Post 3930980)
I was intending to buy the Street, but have somehow stretched to get myself the Iron. Booked the same last month, and though the desired color in the 2016 model is in stock, I have decided to wait and get the 2016 production model. I require very limited accessories - Crash Gaurd, rear seat, rear footpegs and backrest.
Being on a already stretched budget, I am trying to get aftermarket accessories instead of going for original HD stuff, which no doubt is of very good quality. Hence I seek yours & fellow BHPians' help in understanding available options for after market accessories for my machine from Karol Bagh or elsewhere in Delhi.

The Iron is a great choice though personally I would have stretched and gone for the newly launched 1200 Custom. Avoid the Street.

As you would have noticed I rode my Superlow throughout without the engine guard till I sold it. Wait for sometime before finalizing any accessories. Join the many buy and sell forums on Facebook where I have seen some great deals on original Harley 2nd hand products like seats etc. That may be a better place to buy accessories at nearly the same price as aftermarket ones and you are assured better Harley OE quality. Though I doubt if the 2016 model seats would be available so soon as it's design is a little different.

Your decision to wait for the 2016 manufactured bike is justified from a resale point of view though there would be no other difference as the model has just been upgraded to better suspension and seats.

Congratulations and Cheers...