Team-BHP - Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/141465-harley-davidson-superlow-xl883l-comprehensive-review-31.html)

Dheeraj Sir, thanks a lot. Firstly for creating this thread. It does take efforts and patience the way you've described everything. When I was in the dilemma about getting the superlow or not, yours was a major inspiration since it cleared many doubts.
And finally after many ifs and buts I booked the bike and 'finally' my bike has been delivered at the showroom.
I got the 2015 model. However, apart from the font, there seems to be no other change.
I will pick the bike in another week or so since I'm travelling right now.
The accessories I'm going to add are:
1) crash guard
2) pillion seat and back rest ( this bike looks best with the solo seat and intend to keep it like that most of the time but will have to get a pillion seat for the mrs.)
3) Rear foot pegs

Now my major concern is riding gear. I need to get below as a minimum :
1) Helmet
2) Jacket
3) Shoes
4) Gloves
If anyone has any inputs about any of the above riding gear, please do let me know. I'm not even sure what prices to guess for the above since this would be the first time I'd buy this gear and haven't even checked them anywhere. Also, does anyone know where I can get these in Pune?

Hiya Avior. Many Congratulations in advance on owning your ride. It's going to be a grand experience. I'm in New Bombay and have been in touch with folks into riding and through them I know Planet DSG on MG Road in Pune has one of the best riding gear. Please check http://www.planetdsg.com

I'm taking the delivery of my Denim Black Iron 883 in 2nd week of Nov. I got told every Aug HD showrooms hold a sale. I picked up a Jacket and gloves from HD itself at 20 to 30 % discount.

Went and saw the new 2015 Superlow. Harley Davidson - font and colour has changed. rest are same.
dkaile ji - the VIN numbering is retained as you have explained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vista (Post 3564067)
Hiya Avior. Many Congratulations in advance on owning your ride. It's going to be a grand experience.

Thanks Vista. Congratulations to you as well !!
I did check planet dgs website. But will have to visit them to feel n pick stuff. Got to know about the HD sale but unfortunately can't visit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avior (Post 3564046)
Now my major concern is riding gear. I need to get below as a minimum :
1) Helmet
2) Jacket
3) Shoes
4) Gloves

Thanks for the kind words Avior and congrats on your soon to be acquired acquisition. The accessories mentioned by you are exactly right and what you need bare minimum. I am also planning a original back rest soon for those occasional rides with the missus.

As for the riding gear, I find HD original ones quite exorbitant though a original HD branded Leather Jacket should be a must sooner or later. For now I am using the Cramster semi leather one which is just fantastic but won't work for summers. For the Helmet, again go for 2, one open face and one full face for longer rides. My open face THH Helmet has got the issue that it is ready to blow off my head on speeds over 140. So I am also looking for a good secure full face one. I hear MT helmets who are OE suppliers to many big brands are very good and fully certified and reasonably priced around 4.5K. Shoes, you should go for one ankle high full leather ones and one proper riding one with zippers. Gloves should be full leather ones for winters and one waterproof one from Cramster etc. for long rides. You can gradually add on to your gear portfolio as things go along. But going blindly for exorbitant stuff makes no sense.

Cheers...

Getting ready for the Northern HOG Ride to Pushkar on 7th to 9th November'2014. Got some equipment added on.

First thing was a proper Full Face Helmet. Went for Matt Black MT Axxis Helmet. Made in Spain. European ECE and US DOT certified.

Ordered it from Moto 101 Store in Pune. Very nice and professional lady to deal with. It reached me at Meerut, U.P. in just 2 days. Well packed -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_1.jpg

Made in Spain and imported by Spartan Pro Gear of whom these Moto 101 are franchisees. Costed just 3738+500 for shipping and insurance. Total - 4238/-. Great value for the quality.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_2.jpg

Comes with a cover and cleaning cloth
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_3.jpg

The Helmet
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_5.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_4.jpg

Well padded and secure.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_6.jpg

Then I Harley'd it. Lolz
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_7.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-mt-helmet_8.jpg

Has 2 top buttons for air flow and 1 front breather button for anti-fogging action. The fogging slip on front is removable. The liners are removable and washable. Great value for money for the quality offered. Much better than my Taiwanese THH open face Helmet.

2nd on the purchase list was the VIATERRA CLAW Mini Pillion Saddle Bag. Got it directly from Viaterra, Hyderabad. Costed just 2500+ 349 for shipping by FedEx; Total - 2849/-. Again got it in 2 days flat.

This is how it will roughly look when attached. Though this photo is taken with it being empty and without attaching the pillion seat which is necessary for its installation. After which it should look nicely tight and trim.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-viaterra-claw-mini_2.jpg

Quality of build is EXCEPTIONAL. Came with a good quality rain guard. High quality zippers and fittings all around.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-viaterra-claw-mini_3.jpg

Though they market it as an over-nighter, I think it can easily take 5~7 days luggage of a single person. Side pockets can hold 4x1L bottles.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-viaterra-claw-mini_4.jpg

Great build overall. Highly satisfied.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-viaterra-claw-mini_5.jpg

Cheers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3568921)
First thing was a proper Full Face Helmet. Went for Matt Black MT Axxis Helmet. Made in Spain. European ECE and US DOT certified.
Cheers...

Thank you for sharing the purchase because being in the market for one and that too within 5k , I think I have found one that I like and you have provided a link too so cheers :D Looks sober and cool at the same time and not cluttered with needless decals as some helmets are .

You mentioned owning a THH branded helmet , I have one in mind costing about 3.5k(full face but in motocross style) , is the brand decent enough for that price ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3569032)
You mentioned owning a THH branded helmet , I have one in mind costing about 3.5k(full face but in motocross style) , is the brand decent enough for that price ?

MT Helmets are much better than the Taiwanese THH ones. THH comes in free size which is not very good in the long run. My THH has gradually become loose and is now ready to blow off my head at speeds of 140+. MT are OE suppliers to many big brands like AGV which will cost you almost twice the cost for basically the same helmet. They are manufactured in Europe to tight standards. They come in exact sizes though I did take a size larger as that fitted me snug and proper. I would say you spend that 500 Rs. extra and go for a MT. There is no comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3569051)
MT Helmets are much better than the Taiwanese THH ones. THH comes in free size which is not very good in the long run. My THH has gradually become loose and is now ready to blow off my head at speeds of 140+. MT are OE suppliers to many big brands like AGV which will cost you almost twice the cost for basically the same helmet. They are manufactured in Europe to tight standards. They come in exact sizes though I did take a size larger as that fitted me snug and proper. I would say you spend that 500 Rs. extra and go for a MT. There is no comparison.

Thank you Sir for the conclusive answer and MT it is then . I was not aware that AGV branded helmets are manufactured by them and that is good indeed .
Based on my previous purchase , I also found a size larger fitted me best .

Going on 1000km plus journey, it is important to check the basic essentials.

Checked the tyre pressure and adjusted to 36psi for the Front and 42psi for the rear which is company recommended. Then checked the oil levels -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-oil-check-03112014_1.jpg

Cleaned the Air filter element thoroughly by blowing air through an in-house vacuum cleaner after dismantling it fully.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-air-cleaner-cleaned-03112014.jpg

Got a PUC certificate. Also always keep all other required documents like your driving license, bike's registration certificate and current insurance cover.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-pollution-undder-control-certificate-03112014.jpg

My mates also got the Claw. They received it with the orange piping though personally I would prefer the black/silver combination any day over this.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-viaterra-claw-orange.jpg

Knighted the Claw as a Mutineer... lolz
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-viaterra-claw-mutineered.jpg

Checked out all parameters, equipment, the new MT helmet, steel toed riding shoes, armored Cramster jacket, riding gloves etc. on this Sunday's 100km ride
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-ride-02112014_2.jpg

Cheers...

Excellent Preps Dhiraj Sir. Good luck for the upcoming grand rides. We look forward to the travelogue. Amazing items at best deals in your collection now.

Just my 2 cents on the eye gear out of my direct exp. I trek twice n year in the snow ranges in Himachal and heading for sandakphu in Dec. On all sunny and snow conditions I use Maui Jim eye gear I got from US. Its available in India now. You can be out in the sun the entire day and your eyes don't tire much. Pls consider it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vista (Post 3571457)
On all sunny and snow conditions I use Maui Jim eye gear I got from US. Pls consider it....

Well I have been using Rayban's (polarised and normal) for the last 30 years that I have been riding. I always thought that if they were good enough for the WW2 pilots they should be good enough for me... old school me, lolz. Anyways, will definitely consider your suggestion.

------------

Adding to the previous post, more preparations underway which include -

A 20,000 maH Power Bank
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-20000mah-power-bank.jpg

A puncture repair kit for the tubeless tyres on the Superlow
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-puncture-repair-kit.jpg

A new Limi Tyre Inflator. The old one went kaput after 3 years of service.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-new-limi-tyre-inflator.jpg

A HD DV Camera with motorcyle mounts to capture the excitement
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-dv-hd-camera.jpg

And lastly a Jacket to flash the IHR batches... lolz
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-jacket-ihr-patch.jpg

Cheers...

So wanted to fit a POWER SOCKET to the Harley so that I could recharge my phones etc. The original for the Superlow fits only with the saddle bags and costs about 4k in total with labour and harness. So went for Indian Jugaad which worked out perfectly -

Bought a Xenos Power Socket (used in cars) for 140 bucks. Total cost including some other fittings was around 200 bucks.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-xenos-power-socket_1.jpg

Studied the manual and the internet for battery removal procedures. The negative battery cable that is supposed to be removed as per the manual is placed at a very odd location and requires special tools. So just removed the main fuse, loosened the +ive terminal first and then pushed the battery out to remove the -ive terminal.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-xenos-power-socket_2.jpg

Here's the Harley 12 aH battery. Made in USA but exorbitantly priced. Better alternates are available but sadly only abroad.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-xenos-power-socket_3-harley-12-ah-battery.jpg

Here's it safely attached and out of view under the rider's seat. Later, was stuck with double sided tape and properly placed. Also made it fully waterproof with proper insulation.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-xenos-power-socket_4.jpg

Now working fully. As it is direct connection from the battery, it works even with ignition off, as it is with the original Harley OEM product which is also directly attached to the battery in exact same fashion.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-xenos-power-socket_6.jpg

Also attached the tyre inflator to it, but sadly the 12 aH battery could not take the load of the inflator motor. Strange as I thought the Harley starter motor also took a heavy cranking load.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-xenos-power-socket_7.jpg

For all Harley owners looking for substitute to the OE Harley Fully synthetic oil (SYN 3) which is of 20W-50 grade, here's the required product -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-castrol-fully-synthetic-oil-10w50_1.jpg

This Castrol Fully Synthetic 4T Oil (Power 1 Racing) is of 10W-50 grade and exceeds all the requirements of the Harley OE oil. Also costs just 650 bucks for a litre.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-castrol-fully-synthetic-oil-10w50_2.jpg

Looking to buy these Cramster Bionic Knee Guards soon. Around 1.8k.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-cramster-knee-guard.jpg

So whether with a pillion or not, Just Ride.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-without-pillion.jpg

Cheers...

Deeraj sir. Enjoy your NHR and Ride Safe.

I like the amount of new things that you try out your bike. This link is a good inspiration for many of us who bought a Superlow based on your experience that is very well penned. True Harley customization with an Indian Jugad I can say.

#LLB