Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 17:24   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

Here some more pictures from the ride and a few of them are taken from mobile ( iam sure the quality speaks for itself)

Can you see Absythnguzzler's getz in my helmet?

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9181.jpg

Bonnie Trio

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9132.jpg

Bonnie Trio

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9133.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9166.jpg

9190----9191

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9142.jpg

Ecosport rules enjoying the drive as much as we did

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9169.jpg

He whatsapped me, cant beileve we did 1200kms, it didnt even feel like it

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9207.jpg

Sanjay on his Silver Bonnie had lots of fun

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9208.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9209.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9257.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9254.jpg

Insearch on his Thunderbird 500

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9238.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140427_181852001.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140427_181939.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140427_181946.jpg

Attachment 1235912

Bonnie Trio @ Iscon Temple, Ananthpur

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140428wa115.jpg

Bonnie Trio @ Iscon Temple, Ananthpur

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140428wa116.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140428wa031.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140428wa047.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th April 2014 at 17:30.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 18:23   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
[
Windblast

This feedback is purely for Haroon. After he requesting this feedback, I too started thinking of it and was worried about this the most and was preparing myself to be careful of bike swaying out of course due to heavy crosswinds which can prove detrimental if you cannot control it in time.

Out of the 1200kms, as far as I can recall there were 3 sections while going and about 4 sections while coming back each of which could be 50-60kms that was really windy

Firstly, the bike didnt sway out of its course even once.

secondly, the windblast until 120kmph is negligible and can be safely ignored. Post this speed there is some windblast to chest and ankles
I was riding the bike with my legs hugged to the tank and slightly bent posture and it felt comfortable at high speeds too. But, when I wanted to relax, I used to spread my legs wide and that is when the wind hits you like a tornado at the ankles (not knees, mind you)
You should think about getting a clip on windscreen just for these long trips. Makes a huge difference. I always had unfaired bikes but when I drove a Ninja 900 I was doing 1.5x the speed and did not even feel it...such was the difference it made
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 18:59   #348

Envious!! Awesome narrative as usual. Looks like the Pune Triumph showroom opened it's doors today. Time to pay a quick visit..
rishi.nandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 21:10   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

But seriously, are these parts really made for our usage environment? So let us not get into generalization.
One of the design briefs of Triumph re-launch was "an almost go anywhere capability". Hence, in my opinion, the operating environments in India, should not be something which is out of the tolerance limits of a Triumph Classic.

In the period from Feb 2009 to May 2013, my rides in UAE involved at least about 5,000 plus kms of the type of track you can see in the picture below.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-image0429.jpg

People (like Shubz, Partha etc.) who have seen the bike in Bangalore, refuses to believe that its a 5 year old bike and I think that is only because of its build quality as I am really not a "spit and polish" person, on looks (mechanically its a different story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Or could be something not properly anchored within the headlight nacelle or instrument console.
Doc you are on the mark in a way. The Head Light Nacel Stays of Bonnie is not rigidly fixed. Its little loosely mounted on rubber bushing (over the fork tubes) and there is an amount of lateral play on it if you force it - objectives 1) The stays remain without damage/bends etc. in case light fall etc. 2) The light remains vibration free specially when the bike is on full rev when coupled with the rubber sleeved bolts holding nacel itself. I am alluding that this could be the reason for the plonk or clunk, but fact is its compressed between the two yokes when in a scenario where the bike passes suddenly over a negative or positive obstacle (more in case of a negative obstacle, I believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The fact that its coming from both Ram's non-Indian Bonnie as well as the Indian Bonnies, points to inadequate damped/softly sprung front end for Indian conditions - i.e. potholes that can swallow cars.
Perhaps, I should put this in correct perspective - in about 26,000 kms or so I rode on this Bonney, honestly I would have heard this noise about 5 or 6 times max.

In fact I mentioned this only to empathise with Avi and not as an issue, at least for me. First time I heard it, I had it investigated on the next service and everything turned out to be fine.

In Bangalore I have so far not heard this may be basically my speeds are relatively lower in the city.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 30th April 2014 at 21:14.
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 09:57   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
BTW kitna deti hai?
Ekees Bavees Deti ( Gives 21kmpl-22kmpl)....I updated my report with FE details as well

Quote:
If you keep doing high speed stunts like these on a street bike, the suspension would have such issues Get it checked, maybe the cone set is going bust.
Jaggu, I am just doing speeds that Bonnie is capable of.

Trust me, I have not even pushed it to its limit. I love my automobiles and never push them beyond their limit.

Learning how much abuse it can take is an art and I keep learning each time I ride/drive it

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Fork Plonking Noise: Same case with my bike - had this whenever I took it off road (graded tracks mostly). Had checked the headstock assembly couple of times, nothing untoward and the clearance was as recomended.But as Jaggu has mentioned, get it checked on the next service. There is no cone in the conventional sense in the headstock assembly of Bonneville, there is a roller bearing and chances of busting it at around 2000 km - I think we should give little more cedit to the build quality of Triumph. As you know this (Bonneville) is the platform 3 classic models of Triumph are based - Bonneville (all variants), Scrambler and Thruxton. Of which scrambler is primarily an out and out off-roader even in its standard avatar. So the build quality of common parts will have to be for use accross all models and head stock is common for Bonnevilles and Scrambler (Thruxton has a slightly different shapped top plate). So chance of you trashing it (the headstock bearing) with what you have done so far, is rather remote, in my opinion.
Quote:
One of the design briefs of Triumph re-launch was "an almost go anywhere capability". Hence, in my opinion, the operating environments in India, should not be something which is out of the tolerance limits of a Triumph Classic.Perhaps, I should put this in correct perspective - in about 26,000 kms or so I rode on this Bonney, honestly I would have heard this noise about 5 or 6 times max.In fact I mentioned this only to empathise with Avi and not as an issue, at least for me. First time I heard it, I had it investigated on the next service and everything turned out to be fine.
Guys, I think you misunderstood my "plonking sound" comment.

It's not a cause of concern at all and it never crossed my mind to even get it checked as this sound came very rare and that too in scenarios like this :-

1. Iam at high speed and suddenly realize a speedbreaker is coming up and need to slow down rapidly but, cross the breaker with front tyre faster than rear tyre and this is when I hear this light plonk sound

2. I cannot avoid a deep pothole and going through it at a high speed. At this moment, "Plonk" sound comes

Basically these are only two scenarios I hear them and these are rare moments. Besides, that I never thought that sound was an issue. Just that sound came to mind and thought of sharing here

I dont think it requires a check also as similar (but, different sounding sound) comes from the front fork of my bullet when it goes through similar situations so iam not too alarmed.

Quote:
Butt Comfort: Am glad to note that you agree with my assessment in this aspect as well.
Oh yeah, seat comfort was a revelation. I survived 1200kms without much discomfort is case in point for self

Quote:
Fuel: Avi please note that at "low fuel light" there would be at leaset 3.5 litters - usable - in tank and is good for a further 50 kms at least
Thanks for this input but, some things dont match.

As mentioned, the light comes up at 210kms-220kms (almost at same times for other 2 Bonnies as well, 4-5kms give and take) and stays continously on (I get panicky in such situations) so I started hunting down the petrol bunks and we normally used to fill up 20kms-30kms ahead and believe you me, after auto-cut and filling till petrol is right till brim, Bonnie never could take in more than 10.50 Litres

With a 16L tank capacity, looks like FE warning lamp comes on much ahead than it should OR is there is some disrepancy?

Your thoughts please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Not an expert on suspensions, but with my limited knowledge, I would say if front suspension seems to be of much concern for 'indian road conditions', 2 simple upgrades should take care of all the concerns
Haroon, as mentioned above. I dont find that sound any point for concern. Hope my novice assessment is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You should think about getting a clip on windscreen just for these long trips
Deep, I agree with you. One of the mandatory accessory for any touring bike is the windscreen.

Iam not sure if there is a ready made Windscreen accessory for Bonnie which can be clipped on and off ( also slide up and down)? But, if available, I will buy that for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Avi, the rear brakes on these bikes are best avoided and i would suggest you to use only the front brakes with 2 fingers only. Please read up on those books I suggested and watch the Keith Code videos too
Iam yet to read these books or see these videos Adi, Will check them out when I get some time.

But, I agree with your suggestions and I normally use the front brakes more and that too really gently (thats enough, as they pack solid stopping power) and whatever few cases used the rear brakes its even more gentle
Old 1st May 2014, 10:57   #351
DipantS

Awesome Avi and Team, good to see you guys enjoying your rides. Awesome job with the clicks and the write up. Bluing of the exhaust pipe on silver bonnie looks great. Have you noticed any heating issue with the bike in this hot summer?
  (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 11:16   #352
BHPian

Congrats on completing the 1200 kms trip on the Bonnie!! Had a question about the engine oil. Since the long trip was done during peak summer and at high speeds, was there any significant drop in the engine oil level? Was a top up required?
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 11:24   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, I am just doing speeds that Bonnie is capable of.

Trust me, I have not even pushed it to its limit. I love my automobiles and never push them beyond their limit.
Was never referring to speed, let me be more specific. The jumping over road humps is what i was referring to. Riding the bike at speed, over a rough tarmac and jumping, speed humps all are 3 different matter altogether

Road bikes can take 1 as much as you wish to throw, 2 to a great extent, 3 very little tolerance.
Old 1st May 2014, 14:03   #354
Senior - BHPian

Avi,

Good pictures and great information of the long trip and back! I like the way you are penning down your Bonnie's ownership and exploration.

Looks like the hybrid(Bikes+Cars) road trips are the new trend for TBHP Hydeez!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 15:05   #355
BHPian

Hi Mobike008

Thanks for bringing up this Ride Report
Great Bike and loved the details.

It reminded me of my Trichy-Bangalore Drive on Yamaha RXG way back in 1997.
In earlier Dad-Mom days, when car used to Sacred and was taken out only on special occasion, I did many long trips on Bike, more as compulsion than a choice.

Today people prefer their son & daughter to drive a car than a Bike.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 19:01   #356
Senior - BHPian

Another good investment for hi speed riding is a steering damper. It will prevent any possible hi speed headshake thus making it pleasurable, less nervous and safer too.

Quote:
Deep, I agree with you. One of the mandatory accessory for any touring bike is the windscreen.

Iam not sure if there is a ready made Windscreen accessory for Bonnie which can be clipped on and off ( also slide up and down)? But, if available, I will buy that for sure
Not sure about OE, but here are some aftermarket options. I suggest get on the Triumph US&UK forums and dig/ask around

Regarding the plonk, I recall riding this 100 cc bike that made a similar sound. Turns out the mudguard was hitting the low mounted license plate when the front bottomed out

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd May 2014 at 03:08.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:11   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipantS View Post
Awesome Avi and Team, good to see you guys enjoying your rides. Have you noticed any heating issue with the bike in this hot summer?
Thanks for the compliments. Bonnie did not heat up at all during the hot summer ride on highways. There is negligible heat during the city rides for sure. When the bike was new, it used to heat up too much but, that has reduced considerably now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Had a question about the engine oil. Since the long trip was done during peak summer and at high speeds, was there any significant drop in the engine oil level? Was a top up required?
Thats a nice question. Iam wondering why you would think the bike engine oil would reduce significantly when it was serviced at 800kms and topped up with fresh oil and next oil change is at 10,000kms?

To answer your query, we never even thought of checking level of engine oil.

Quote:
Was never referring to speed, let me be more specific. The jumping over road humps is what i was referring to. Riding the bike at speed, over a rough tarmac and jumping, speed humps all are 3 different matter altogether Road bikes can take 1 as much as you wish to throw, 2 to a great extent, 3 very little tolerance.
Jags, so your saying

1. Riding Bike at Speed : No Problemo
2. Riding Bike on Rough Tarmac : No Problemo
3. Riding/Jumping the bike over speed bumps: Problemo

I agree on little tolerance bit but, how many times we go over a speed bump at high speeds? Maybe very few times in 1000kms or maybe never. So I personally dont think its an issue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Looks like the hybrid(Bikes+Cars) road trips are the new trend for TBHP Hydeez!
Yup Srikanth. Thats the new trend I introduced in our group. Btw, you should have picked up the Bonnie over Brio.

You would also have a grin pasted on your face permanently like I have now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Another good investment for hi speed riding is a steering damper. It will prevent any possible hi speed headshake thus making it pleasurable, less nervous and safer too.Regarding the plonk, I recall riding this 100 cc bike that made a similar sound. Turns out the mudguard was hitting the low mounted license plate when the front bottomed out
Can you please be little more detailed on the steering dampner? Is it a vibration reducer or makes the handle firmer over rough roads?

I would be interested to install this if it adds to protection of taking rough patches at high speeds. I also understand that its availale off the shelf at Triumph Showroom

I forgot to share these pics

Fantastic Arabian meal; Traditional Style seating.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140428wa118.jpg

We all digged into DBC at "Corner House"...It was yummy !!!

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140428wa098.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:05   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I agree on little tolerance bit but, how many times we go over a speed bump at high speeds? Maybe very few times in 1000kms or maybe never. So I personally dont think its an issue here
It's not what you think evil knievel its when the bearing balls or some other internal part go bust. Do get it checked, these are extreme impacts and can bust some. At higher speeds you better know if something is failing or not.
Old 2nd May 2014, 18:25   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you please be little more detailed on the steering dampner? Is it a vibration reducer or makes the handle firmer over rough roads?
At hi speeds the steering can vibrate even on super smooth roads (like a racetrack). This is called headshake and the damper with take care of this. Some bikes are more prone to it than others. I think Manmeet has one?

It will make the steering a little heavier during parking however
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:59   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

We went out for a quick and impromptu ride of 175kms this morning.

3 Bonnies, 1 Yamaha FZ1 and 1 Ninja 250 !!!

We decided last night and for first time Harsha Muvva (BHPian) joined on his Yamaha FZ1. Enjoyed a short spin on it too. It sounds glorious. You can hear it coming from a couple of kms, that typical superbike sound

We enjoyed idli, vada and filter coffee at the organic restuarant on NH9

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140503wa014.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140503wa013.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140503wa010.jpg

Didnt even realize when I crossed 3000kms mark

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140503_100107.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks