Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 10:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Triumph: Street Triple or Bonneville T100?

A lil late to the party, but maybe my inputs will help:

My transition was from a CBR250R to the Street, so I was already used to the inclined seating position, and the Street felt just right, with everything falling into place easily. Same case with my wife too, she was used to seating on the CBR, and the Street felt very similar, only the initial climb is a bit higher on the Street.

For me, the main consideration for the Street was value for money, and that enjoyable exhaust note and intake roar. My motto was enjoy the bike when I can ( I'm 29, so not that old yet ) For later, I would definitely go for the Bonnie. My wife and I had a ride on a friend's Bonnie, and she was like " Had you given me a choice, I would have pushed you to go for the Bonnie". The Bonnie is definitely easier to live with; Air cooled engine, so no worries of radiator, heavy heat from it etc. Low seat height, so easier to handle in the city etc.

It's a decision one has to make for oneself, can't be decided by others. All we can do is give our honest opinion of the decision we've made. My suggestion would be take your regular pillion rider along for the test ride and hear what they have to say. My gut feeling is that you would be happier with the Bonnie ( SE or T100, again upto you)
hifisharu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey there OP,

I think you must be holding on to the handlebar to hard, how tall are you? I'm 5'9" and think the Street is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I would suggest you pick a bike based on your riding style? Street will egg you on whacking that throttle open (to hear that sweet sound) every time there is an open road. Bonnie you'll be taking it easy. Both are fantastic bikes and are suited to very different needs.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:01   #18
BANNED

Folks!

Thanks for the overwhelming response! I now feel, more than ever, that I am in safe hands, irrespective of which Triumph I pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post

My transition was from a CBR250R to the Street, so I was already used to the inclined seating position, and the Street felt just right, with everything falling into place easily. Same case with my wife too, she was used to seating on the CBR, and the Street felt very similar, only the initial climb is a bit higher on the Street.

It's a decision one has to make for oneself, can't be decided by others. All we can do is give our honest opinion of the decision we've made. My suggestion would be take your regular pillion rider along for the test ride and hear what they have to say. My gut feeling is that you would be happier with the Bonnie ( SE or T100, again upto you)
@hifisharu - I am starting to lean towards the Bonnie myself. I agree that the decision to buy is one that I will have to make myself. Its exactly what you've said (ll we can do is give our honest opinion of the decision we've made) that I am looking for through this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
CAC
Go with your heart and the riding comfort my friend. Looks like you are more comfortable on Bonnie than an ST and I guess that is primarily due to your experience on Classic riding style. Try take a longer test ride on ST and see if you are comfortable with the handling and riding position.

Mind you both are more of a weekend riding bikes and may not be a substitute for everyday usage.
@Dust_Harl - I tend to agree with you. The riding position I am used to with the CC 500 might be making me feel more at ease on the Bonnie.

Your last comment left me thinking! I very much intend to use the Triumph as my daily ride. Well, when I say daily ride, I meant "my only bike!". My Jawa 350cc twin is too treasured so that is for select days only. I drive my car to work daily, so my "daily bike" would still be only the weekend run-arounds and the occasional long rides. This is the current use of my CC 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hi CAC

Street has the power (but, since most of it comes in high revvs, it didnt feel so in that short ride and felt comparable to Bonnie), sweet engine note and iam sure great handling capabilities but, after that short ride, I immediately discared this as an option.

Bonneville SE suited me for following reasons :-

1. Comfortable riding positon (Love the stock handle bar, dont plan to make any changes to it)

2. Plenty of power on tap ( Iam happy with this power delivery and feel it's perfect for a grocery shopping run and also to chase down those hard to catch superbikes on highways)

3. Handling capabilities ( Excellent handling capabilies both in traffic conditions and those long sweeping highways. I love the way you can swerve the Bonnie in traffic. Throw it into a gap and you will come out magically from the other end. There are very few bikes you can ride in traffic like you can with a Bonnie)

4. Ride ( Initially felt the ride to be bit hard. But, after 1st service, its perfect and comfortable. Ride never feels like rods being shoved into your back which is typical of most harleys)

5. Finally, the engine. It's absolutely butter smooth and there is zero vibrations till a very high speed.

Above were the primary factors for me choosing a Bonneville SE

Btw, You should test ride a Bonneville SE and finalizing between a Bonneville T100 and Street Tripple?

Please beware Bonneville SE and Bonneville T100 ride "Very differently". I recommend you ride the T100 before taking your final decision.
Some threads to confuse you even more...LOL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...eville-23.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...omes-home.html
@mobike008 - I felt the same way as you did when I rode the street. I was instantly connected to the Bonnie but the Street was a bit uncomfortable for me.

Also, I T/D the Iron 883 on the streets of Bangalore. It was like they had fitted an old "flour mill" on wheels and plonked me on top of the vibrating thing! The ride, specifically, was bone jarring.

Although I very much LOVE the Street, I am starting to realise that its a bike I would like one of my buddies to own so that I can ride it every now and then. My riding style is more relaxed and not too high on power. I would rather like to enjoy the feel of the bike every moment I am on it. Sure does look like Bonnie is the one for me. Moreover, I am 35 and this will for sure (Home Ministry will ensure!) be the last bike I buy! I would look at riding it for quite a few years to come. I therefore feel that... say 10 years later, the Bonnie would suit my then ageing backside better .

Regarding the T100 vs SE, I did notice in your threads (which I have read VERY extensively!!!) that you have pointed out the drastically different handling capabilities. The thing is, Keerthi Motors do not seem to have a T100 for TD. I should probably ask them explicitly for one before I decide on the T100, what do you say?

Thanks for threads, I read every post in them before I got completely confused!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th August 2014 at 21:04. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:12   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post

Also, I T/D the Iron 883 on the streets of Bangalore. It was like they had fitted an old "flour mill" on wheels and plonked me on top of the vibrating thing! The ride, specifically, was bone jarring.
Quoting me-own-self!! No offence to HD owners on the forum! They surely are great bikes, but I wish they did something regarding the stock rear suspension on the Iron 883. I have heard that the Superlow 883 has better rear shocks. I wanted to T/D this as well, but the showroom in Bangalore does not have one for TDs.

Regarding the vibrations and the lot, an old friend of mine who swears by his HD, once said.... only if it shakes, rattles and rolls, its a Harley!

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 3rd August 2014, 21:04   #20
BHPian

very stupid post, this might be.

But ask yourself one question
What kind of a rider are you?
1. I like to reach a particular speed, 120kmph, ASAP and cruise all day maintaining it. Then it's T100 for you.
2. I see a car or a bike in front of me and it should be behind me !! I see a corner and my knees automatically grab the tank and I try to lean as much as possible.
Then it's ST for you.

Not that one bike can't do what the other can...but it won't be it's primary characteristic.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Regarding the T100 vs SE, I did notice in your threads (which I have read VERY extensively!!!) that you have pointed out the drastically different handling capabilities. The thing is, Keerthi Motors do not seem to have a T100 for TD. I should probably ask them explicitly for one before I decide on the T100, what do you say?
You should clearly tell them that you are interested in T100 and would not take a decision before taking a test ride. And, when you do that, see if you can ride both SE & T100 back to back so you can have a better judgement of which bike you like most

Quote:
Quoting me-own-self!! No offence to HD owners on the forum! They surely are great bikes, but I wish they did something regarding the stock rear suspension on the Iron 883. I have heard that the Superlow 883 has better rear shocks. I wanted to T/D this as well, but the showroom in Bangalore does not have one for TDs.
You sound like your defending your comment but, I feel exactly the same way.

I was wondering where is the riding pleasure on that body massage machine?

I mean no disrespect to Harley and infact when I was looking to buy a premium bike it was automatically an Harley that came to mind due to its overall popularity. But, never took a test ride till the day I was sure of buying as I refrain from taking official test rides for time-pass and when i rode Iron 883 back to back with Bonnie. It felt industrial in comparison and just didnt suit my need

Was goaded a lot by friends to go for a Harley Iron 883 as it looked stylish and was a lifestyle statement. But, Iam really glad I didnt fall for their cajoling and stood my ground and got myself a Bonnie

Quote:
Regarding the vibrations and the lot, an old friend of mine who swears by his HD, once said.... only if it shakes, rattles and rolls, its a Harley!
To each their own.

I expect and prefer smooth performance from a bike especially when you pay so much for a bike. At the end of the day, how you feel on the bike is of utmost importance and what others feel/think will pale in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
I see a corner and my knees automatically grab the tank and I try to lean as much as possible.Then it's ST for you.
Huh? When your cornering, I thought its best to widen your knees to some extent as you bend to gain better traction/grip of your bike along with being in right gear and correct throttle input?

Or am I wrong in my assumption?
Old 5th August 2014, 12:41   #22
BHPian

Hi
Buy what gives you the absolute "wow" feeling when it comes to a big bike.

You will get used to the riding position as soon as you get it!!!!! Also depends on what U were riding earlier naturally so as an Enfield guy its very easy to love the Bonnie.

Lastly if that is the only issue BUY A HANDLE BAR RISER!!!! Or better just get one made at a fraction of the cost. I ride a whole load of bikes which are all very different and I am "used" to ALL OF THEM. My current favourite is my CB1 and believe me when I say I found it uncomfortable when I first rode it!!!!! If U were considering a DUC street fighter and found it a tad uncomfortable its fair but the ST is absolutely fine

Rgds

Last edited by dinyaar : 5th August 2014 at 12:45.
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:42   #23
Team-BHP Support

Completely agree to dinyaar. I was also going through the replies then it struck me, if its the ride posture won't a bar raiser help sort the issue?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...erra-strada-13

Liquid cooled, more powerful engine and ABS itself are two great additions to Street compared to the Bonnie, which also should be taken into consideration, i feel.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:17   #24
BHPian

A lil late with the reply, but hopefully, informative

On our recent ride to Pondi, for the first time we were in the saddle for around 5-6 hrs and generally more than hour at a stretch. By the third day, the fatigue set in and I was starting to feel uncomfortable. Whenever I braked, I could feel more weight from the pillion than before. Some pondering led me to think that if I could sit a bit more upright, I would be able to support the pillion's weight better.

It was then that I noticed, that the handle bar was angled a bit away from me. Before trying out any risers, all I did was rotate the handle bar, so that the handle was angled more towards me. And voila!, it made a huge difference. While earlier I was slightly sitting in a 'grabbing for the bars' position, now I was seated more upright, and the handle seemed to fall to my hands more easily. This also benefited in better control while taking 'U' turns, as now I don't have to stretch my outward arm all the way.

If you are inclined more towards the Striple, do try this, it takes all of 5 min to rotate the handle bar. If that doesn't help, you can always supplement with the risers. This is a common problem on Striple forums, as the factory config might be for taller riders.
hifisharu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:37   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
A lil late with the reply, but hopefully, informative

If you are inclined more towards the Striple, do try this, it takes all of 5 min to rotate the handle bar. If that doesn't help, you can always supplement with the risers. This is a common problem on Striple forums, as the factory config might be for taller riders.
This is JUST what I was probably waiting for! hifisharu sir, BIG favor I want to ask of you. Can I meet you someplace that works for you and just sit on your bike (assuming the handle bars is still pointed towards the rider). That should give me a good idea of how much difference it actually makes. Will send you a PM with my number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

You should clearly tell them that you are interested in T100 and would not take a decision before taking a test ride. And, when you do that, see if you can ride both SE & T100 back to back so you can have a better judgement of which bike you like most

You sound like your defending your comment but, I feel exactly the same way.

I was wondering where is the riding pleasure on that body massage machine?

I expect and prefer smooth performance from a bike especially when you pay so much for a bike. At the end of the day, how you feel on the bike is of utmost importance and what others feel/think will pale in comparison
Mobike - I hear you. I WILL go back to Keerthi and ask for a TD of the T100 and follow-up immediately with the Bonnie SE. That should hopefully give me a good idea of the difference in handling between the two. I agree with what you say (even without having ridden the T100), that a 2" difference in FRONT wheel will surely make a difference in handling. During TDs of the SE, I felt it cornered like a housefly - extremely nimble

I was not actually defending my comment, I just didnt want to offend any HD owners on the forum. Yes, I too expect a smooth performance from a bike especially when paying so much. Anyway, personal preferences I guess.
CAC444 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 11:53   #26
BHPian

CAC444 one of my friend is taking delivery of his ST red color today. Anything you want me to check at Keerthi motors? I will be there around 5 pm today.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:44   #27
BANNED

Quote:
CAC444 one of my friend is taking delivery of his ST red color today. Anything you want me to check at Keerthi motors? I will be there around 5 pm today.
Thanks so much, Dust_Harl. Could you check if they have a T100 for TDs? I plan to visit them over the weekend anyway.... that is AFTER catching up with hifisharu and the pointing-at-the-rider ST handlebar!

Wow, a red ST - pure eye candy that is! I kept drooling at one of the bikes parked in the showroom the last time I was there.
Old 8th August 2014, 15:06   #28
BHPian

Hello CAC444,

will definitely check on the T100 test ride and keep you posted here. yes it is one amazing color and I suppose this is the third bike allocated across India.

I will be there in couple of hours and will let you know if I can block a test ride slot for T100.
Old 9th August 2014, 10:42   #29
BHPian

CAC444,

I checked with the folks there and I suppose they do not give T100 test ride as instructed by triumph. Their logic is that the engine spec is the same and you will not make out any difference unless it is a long ride. And then do not give long test rides.

By the way the red ST looks very good. My friend took the test ride. My eventual upgrade in my Harley line up was fat Bob or boy. Now eyes are on Tiger. Man what a bike it is and xc800 is less than street Bob.

Anyway most of these are more of a weekend bikes. Why not buy tiger and ride to Leg or wherever.

Cheers. Ride safe!
Old 9th August 2014, 16:08   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked with the folks there and I suppose they do not give T100 test ride as instructed by triumph. Their logic is that the engine spec is the same and you will not make out any difference unless it is a long ride. And then do not give long test rides.
It's either a case of utter casual attitude towards a customer or they are highly untrained in products they are selling

Whatever the case, T100 and Bonnie A3/SE ride very very differently !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks