Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 22:03   #76
BHPian

Re: Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul

Hey Ricci, Nice meeting you the other day near Amby valley. I guess you left quickly? Could not find you while i was leaving. Some of the guys went all the way down for the better twisty bits. Di you do the same? Anyways hope to see you soon..Cheers man.
Old 25th November 2015, 22:05   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorofindia View Post
One of the best bikes available on the planet right now. Hands down the sweetest handling machine out there. I reckon since it's lighter, handling will be more precise than the litre class ones. If i could, I'd buy this bike blindly.

But, the z800 is a lot of bike for a lot less money and that's why it's ever so popular. Then again, if you want a faired bike, you want a faired bike.. Isn't it?
Yup it is ! And I did want a faired bike, though naked was very much open, parden the pun. Right now though, I do find its handling not quite to what I was hoping for. Whether it is a definite flaw or its nature of being too nimble to my preference for a more stable handling machine, I don't know yet. Still to get around to fiddling with suspension settings to see it makes it handle the way I want it, rather than I adapt to how it handles.

Z800 is good VFM by SBK standards, though haven't had the pleasure of riding one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Hey Ricci, Nice meeting you the other day near Amby valley. I guess you left quickly? Could not find you while i was leaving. Some of the guys went all the way down for the better twisty bits. Di you do the same? Anyways hope to see you soon..Cheers man.
Sure man, likewise! Didn't get to hear the Speed rumble and rip either. I did go down the Amby twisties with 2 others. By then the rest had left towards Khopoli.

Had a little fall there at parking speed when trying to leave the mud-gravel onto the road, it's a slight slope and loose mud-gravel. Foot slipped, bike went down, broke it's brake lever. No other damage, few scratches on bar end and muffler. So after the Amby run, I split from main road to return home. Lightest supersport it may be, but still too heavy to arrest a fall once it's past an angle off the vertical. :(
Old 25th November 2015, 22:09   #78
BHPian

Ah bummer. At least you did not get hurt and seems like it's only cosmetic. So that'll get rectified. I was grumbling inside my helmet the moment the guys asked me to turn in on that road. It took me 7-8 minutes just to figure solid footing for the stand. Will be coming to Pune soon on the bike for a few days. Will message you before hand.. We can plan a ride or something if you game..
Old 25th November 2015, 22:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah bummer. At least you did not get hurt and seems like it's only cosmetic. So that'll get rectified. I was grumbling inside my helmet the moment the guys asked me to turn in on that road. It took me 7-8 minutes just to figure solid footing for the stand. Will be coming to Pune soon on the bike for a few days. Will message you before hand.. We can plan a ride or something if you game..
Would love to meet up and see your beauty and join you big boys too if you don't mind being slowed down too badly!
Old 25th November 2015, 22:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Would love to meet up and see your beauty and join you big boys too if you don't mind being slowed down too badly!

Absolutely ebonho... Would be awesome to meet you as well. I love Poona and this seems like a good trip in the making already.
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
ebonho - you are really cheeky!

Odeen I hope you know him well enough not to take this comment too seriously.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
ebonho - you are really cheeky!

Odeen I hope you know him well enough not to take this comment too seriously.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Arre, what did I say?

How are you doing big bro? Riding?
Old 14th February 2016, 21:32   #83
BHPian

Been a while since my last update.

Rode with the RATs today, it was a leisurely ride with no antics or highlights to note, just a nice sober V day ride. Ended the evening with a wash and wax session. I must say, my thread is a more than a little short of pics, I am just not much of a cell-cam picture taker.

The bike also had a minor fall at Lonavla in December, when getting back from the unpaved lot onto the road at Lions point, my foot slipped on gravel and couldn't contain the drop. Sadly broke the brake lever, and indicator lens. The lever cost ~2700 and indicator lens ~400. A couple of small scratches as scars, thankfully nothing major or easily visible.

Odometer stands at almost 5900km, next service isn't due until 3rd quarter of the year. I have managed to wear out the front tyre more than the rear, quite in contradiction to usual pattern of rear tyres wearing out faster, usually in a 2:1 ratio. Brake pads too will be due for change in a short time. Wearing the front quicker than the rear must mean I spend way less time accelerating, than braking or cruising. Of course, it's rarely safe to use all that power on tap, but it's still a surprise. I am riding a supersport in cruising mode most of the time! Forgive me, O lord of sportbikes!

Speed vs RPM stock gearing:
Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-speedvsrpmeachgear.jpg

No major issues with the bike, but that ABS sensor issue recurs now and then, goes away and comes back on a whim. The ABS light stays on along with CEL light , and apparently the ABS stops working. At least I didn't find the pulsing when the ABS light was on. This time the ABS light stayed on for pretty much the entire ride, refusing to go away even after turning the ignition off and on several times, eventually going away on the return leg midway. Since then, the ABS light and CEL stayed off.

I do feel the ABS cuts in too early, based on the braking I did when the ABS warning light coming on disabling ABS function. I'll take this up with dealer after IBW. With the ABS not operational, I braked harder and the rear didn't lock up even with more pressure on the lever. No panic or really hard braking attempts, as then the rear can be made to lock. I have had the ABS come on in the front a couple of times, once on a very slippery mall concrete parking lot, and once on the highway, and I felt the front ABS shouldn't have cut in so early.

Summary of my handling dissatisfaction is thus:
In my judgment, the front end is a unsteady in corners, leading to weaves/shakes mid-corner which is a huge confidence slayer. I like my bike to be stable, very stable, in a straight line or in corners.

Probable causes :
1. Steering geometry - the Daytona is one of the steepest fork geometry. Some 22.9º rake and 87mm trail. While many regular, seasoned supersport riders love the agility this geometry permits, I am unable to ride as hard or fast as most sport-riders. There's not much room to raise the front end, the forks are already as low as I'd dare.

2. Suspension settings - I thought suspension was too soft or too hard initially, but now after switching to comfort setting (which is still rather stiff overall, but much less jarring compared to default Sport setting), there's no change in handling. Now I am more of less certain that adjusting the suspension settings won't change the handling to what I like, whether I make them harder or softer, though making the suspension more pliant will likely provider a more comfortable ride.

3. Tyres - I find myself noticeably more confident on the return leg of any ride. I thought it was because the road (surface, turns) were more fresh in mind allowing me to ride faster. But more than that, it could be the tyres.

The OEM tyres are Pirelli Diablo Supercorse SP, allegedly track focused tyres made just about legal with the minimal tread required. The common theme among track/race tyres is operating temperature. Until they hit the right temperature, even race/track tyres offer less grip and tend to slip more when cold. Regular street tyres either hit their operating temperature sooner or are less temperature sensitive. I'm no tyre compound expert, but on multiple - more like every ride , I found myself leaning more and experience less of the front end instability I dread. On the way to, we usually ride early morning often before sun rises, so even the road is cool. On the return leg, the tyres have already run 50-100km and warmer, and the sun being up , the tarmac is hot - which gets the tyres hot quicker.

I am contemplating using Pirelli Diablo Rosso or Rosso Corsas this time, rather than the same OE Diablo Supercorsa SP.

4. My input/riding style :
Now this is one area I will try to work on.

I wear an MT Blade helmet with prescription glasses, a leather jacket/pant suit. The Daytona's ergonomics are among the most extreme/committed of all supersports, so

a) I'm literally looking out of the helmet with the sky bound by the helmet brow. In mid-corners, if I want to look into the turn, I find myself looking right at the upper edge and my glasses' upper rim tends to interfere with the vision, and I'm looking beyond the lens refractive part , which is worse. I either need to get suitable glasses, or contact lenses.
b) My leather jacket has a stiff collar, which normally isn't that much of a problem, but in corners, prevents moving my head further back to look into the corner. This is not the case with the textile jack.

All this affects my vision, in corners, and thus decision/decisiveness while cornering. I end up riding upright longer and trying to lean later. Of course, in case of blind corners or vehicles obstructing vision , there is nothing I can do, but free head movement to look farther in the corner would help a bit.

Last edited by Ricci : 14th February 2016 at 21:44.
Ricci is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 23:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Great thread. Is triumph even ready to address these niggling issues in their line up.

Don't get me wrong I would be worried if the error is not eliminated for good. You paid for the features as well and by the time you cross a year you may be out of warranty.

I think you should get the abs thing fixed for good and put more pressure. If requires replace entire abs circuit under warranty.

Great thread. Add more pics please.
Old 15th February 2016, 07:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
No major issues with the bike, but that ABS sensor issue recurs now and then, goes away and comes back on a whim. The ABS light stays on along with CEL light , and apparently the ABS stops working. At least I didn't find the pulsing when the ABS light was on. This time the ABS light stayed on for pretty much the entire ride, refusing to go away even after turning the ignition off and on several times, eventually going away on the return leg midway. Since then, the ABS light and CEL stayed off.

2. Suspension settings - I thought suspension was too soft or too hard initially, but now after switching to comfort setting (which is still rather stiff overall, but much less jarring compared to default Sport setting), there's no change in handling. Now I am more of less certain that adjusting the suspension settings won't change the handling to what I like, whether I make them harder or softer, though making the suspension more pliant will likely provider a more comfortable ride.

3. Tyres - I find myself noticeably more confident on the return leg of any ride. I thought it was because the road (surface, turns) were more fresh in mind allowing me to ride faster. But more than that, it could be the tyres.

I am contemplating using Pirelli Diablo Rosso or Rosso Corsas this time, rather than the same OE Diablo Supercorsa SP.
Hey good to see your thread. Pune weather must be awesome to ride at this time of the year.

- On the suspension bit is there anyone in Pune who can help you with adjusting the suspension sag. That might just help. Also this could affect your ABS. Basically too stiff a setting and tires loose contact with say bad/ bumpy roads. This gets the ABS activated prematurely.

- ABS- Does it show error codes when you hook up the bike to the computer. The ECU should log errors. Did the guys at Triumph do a reset adaptation? Have you tried doing a full reset adaptation. Let the bike cool down completely, connect the ECU to the computer check for error codes if any. If none load the desired map and then without touching the throttle let the engine run on idle for 12 minutes or so, to let the bike adapt to the new settings. Then take it out for a spin. Might help.

- Changing the tyres would / should give you the opportunity to look at the ABS sensor front and back. Let the service guys have a look and see if there is a fault with the wiring. I changed my tires recently and we checked for wirings etc, everything seemed fine.

There are niggles with every motorcycle. I guess you will have to just sit down and figure the same.
Old 15th February 2016, 08:53   #86
BHPian

Quote:
4. My input/riding style :
Now this is one area I will try to work on.

I wear an MT Blade helmet with prescription glasses, a leather jacket/pant suit. The Daytona's ergonomics are among the most extreme/committed of all supersports, so
In CSS, they recommend putting in a couple of tissues at the top of the helmet in order to change your vision angle and get wider peripheral vision. You might want to try it out.

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th February 2016 at 12:24. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post for a short reply. Thanks!
Old 15th February 2016, 16:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

a) I'm literally looking out of the helmet with the sky bound by the helmet brow. In mid-corners, if I want to look into the turn, I find myself looking right at the upper edge and my glasses' upper rim tends to interfere with the vision, and I'm looking beyond the lens refractive part , which is worse. I either need to get suitable glasses, or contact lenses.
I went the other way round, recently changed the rear on my Street Triple to Supercorsa SP, I've been told its a puncture magnet. But I've noticed much better grip and its quicker to get to temperature. The Rosso was a fantastic tire, mine got bald in 4000km. That reminds me I should update my thread!

Oh us poor folk with glasses who love riding sport bikes! I feel for you man, if you don't like contacts might I advise getting frameless glasses which you can wear much closer to your temple with a larger surface area. Also you need to get a more sporty helmet which has a wider visor. Might I recommend ARAI Rebel or Chaser? I've used helmets from all brands but never has a pair of glasses slid in as easily as an ARAI.
Old 21st February 2016, 13:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Great thread. Is triumph even ready to address these niggling issues in their line up.

Don't get me wrong I would be worried if the error is not eliminated for good. You paid for the features as well and by the time you cross a year you may be out of warranty.

I think you should get the abs thing fixed for good and put more pressure. If requires replace entire abs circuit under warranty.
Add more pics please.
Yes, that's the plan. Triumph India seems to be a blackhole or drain of some sort, it seems they are the main culprits in delays getting parts and customer grievances.

Pics, I'll try to take on future rides, usually taking snaps is the last thing on my mind during rides.

Quote:
Hey good to see your thread. Pune weather must be awesome to ride at this time of the year.

- On the suspension bit is there anyone in Pune who can help you with adjusting the suspension sag. That might just help. Also this could affect your ABS. Basically too stiff a setting and tires loose contact with say bad/ bumpy roads. This gets the ABS activated prematurely.

- ABS- Does it show error codes when you hook up the bike to the computer. The ECU should log errors. Did the guys at Triumph do a reset adaptation? Have you tried doing a full reset adaptation. Let the bike cool down completely, connect the ECU to the computer check for error codes if any. If none load the desired map and then without touching the throttle let the engine run on idle for 12 minutes or so, to let the bike adapt to the new settings. Then take it out for a spin. Might help.

- Changing the tyres would / should give you the opportunity to look at the ABS sensor front and back. Let the service guys have a look and see if there is a fault with the wiring. I changed my tires recently and we checked for wirings etc, everything seemed fine.

There are niggles with every motorcycle. I guess you will have to just sit down and figure the same.
Pune weather is great in the morning, though by 10 or so the sun is beating down pretty hard. Which reminds me, I have a mesh jacket to buy for the coming summer.

The ABS error code should be there, but that needs the ECU port and Triumph software to read. It might be something as trivial as dust/dirt in the sensor. I'll update in the coming weeks after getting the bike at the workshop. I don't think the suspension sag is the problem, it happens on smooth tarmac as well, though on bumpy roads it is more eager to cut in, which is expected on any bike/car. I won't want to tune the suspension too soft either. The sag feels ok to me, it is on the "Comfort" setting now. Too soft and it will pogo on good roads then, though I reckon there are 4-5 more clicks in the softer settings before that starts.
Main thing is to isolate which side - it seems only the rear unit is problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
In CSS, they recommend putting in a couple of tissues at the top of the helmet in order to change your vision angle and get wider peripheral vision. You might want to try it out.
Thanks, Arpan. I will try that on next time. BTW, let's catch up if you happen to come down to town on of your trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I went the other way round, recently changed the rear on my Street Triple to Supercorsa SP, I've been told its a puncture magnet. But I've noticed much better grip and its quicker to get to temperature. The Rosso was a fantastic tire, mine got bald in 4000km. That reminds me I should update my thread!

Oh us poor folk with glasses who love riding sport bikes! I feel for you man, if you don't like contacts might I advise getting frameless glasses which you can wear much closer to your temple with a larger surface area. Also you need to get a more sporty helmet which has a wider visor. Might I recommend ARAI Rebel or Chaser? I've used helmets from all brands but never has a pair of glasses slid in as easily as an ARAI.
Eh, that's odd. Mostly it's the norm - the racier/softer the compound, the long it takes to get to right temperature and bigger the gap in slip-to-grip transition. I have had just one puncture so far, so I don't think it (the Supercorsa SP) is particularly puncture prone, and I have punished that tyre on some really bad roads. Lot of getting a puncture is plain luck.

Wearing the Rosso in 4000km , you probably get hard on the throttle a lot more than I do. My rear is still good for 1000+km I guess. As far as getting to temperature, I think you can have a word with owner of Toothless (Rash) , he has switched to Rossos keeping the Supercorsa for track runs.

Re: helmets, I think my issue is more about the vertical angle of view, whereas the helmets which claim to have wider viewport are referring to lateral vision. In any case, I have to alter my glasses angle , or get a new pair with suitable lens coverage.

I'm hesitant to go the Arai way for one, they're very expensive and looks to me the price is more brand premium than safety of features, and without trying one on for fit, that's a no-go. If I had an additional zero in my payslip before the decimal, I'd travel abroad and buy 2 then from a wider choice!

So far have not short listed any, but Shark seem to have good ratings across the range, but local stocks not available yet. Going to check out in March when new stock of Shark, Nolan, and Scorpion arrives as per shop sales guy. For Arai, there is only PRS in Mumbai that's close enough to try but at huge price margin.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:33   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Re: helmets, I think my issue is more about the vertical angle of view, whereas the helmets which claim to have wider viewport are referring to lateral vision. In any case, I have to alter my glasses angle , or get a new pair with suitable lens coverage.

I'm hesitant to go the Arai way for one, they're very expensive and looks to me the price is more brand premium than safety of features, and without trying one on for fit, that's a no-go. If I had an additional zero in my payslip before the decimal, I'd travel abroad and buy 2 then from a wider choice!

So far have not short listed any, but Shark seem to have good ratings across the range, but local stocks not available yet. Going to check out in March when new stock of Shark, Nolan, and Scorpion arrives as per shop sales guy. For Arai, there is only PRS in Mumbai that's close enough to try but at huge price margin.
Yeah indeed, you do end up paying like 30% extra for brand value on a ARAI. But its feel and finish is worth it in IMO. Performance Racing stocks these and you can usually get a deal on them if you are going in for last season's collection.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:51   #90
BHPian

Many moons ago when I was working in the US, I had bought myself an Arai helmet. I was moving up from a HJC, and the improvement in quality was definitely worth the extra money. It had cost me around 450 USD then (around 10 years ago), so the prices may be more now. When I re-located back to India, I had brought the Arai back and used it for quite a few years in India.

Whichever helmet brand that you go with, please get one with removable & washable inner liners since the humid Indian conditions will make the inside of the helmet smell more. Also, getting a spare visor from the brand is also a good idea, since visors get scratched over time.
anandpkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks