Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 13:29   #31
BHPian

Re: 2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition

A_V_i: Haven't you read this in the manual? Switching off ABS is very much possible. Why you would want to do that though, is a question I've never asked myself

2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-abs.jpg
Old 28th January 2015, 13:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
A_V_i: Haven't you read this in the manual? Switching off ABS is very much possible. Why you would want to do that though, is a question I've never asked myself
Attachment 1333739
Well, its seems the option is not there on the Standard Striple, the manual is common for Striple, Striple-R, Daytona and Daytona-R.

I agree there are very few reasons to turn off ABS, but under extremely low (dirt tracks, etc) traction conditions ABS actually makes matters worse (the primary reason bikes come with the option to turn off ABS). As for me, i am looking to have some fun and break traction in the rear wheels, so yeah not the use case the manufacturer is targeting.
A_v_i is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 16:20   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition, Ankur. I've heard so many good things about the Stripple that I am keen to try it myself.

Hope you have many enjoyable moments with the white engineering beauty.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 21:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Bike shutting off- Try keeping the clutch lever play adjuster at 2 and see if this helps.
I believe it was at 2 already from the showroom. Can't check right now as the bike is in for its first oil change. I will confirm this tomorrow though.

Quote:
Gears - Yes in peak traffic when its heated it becomes clunky, gear not engaging from neutral, just release the clutch slightly and then hit the gear lever.
Yes, I am slipping the clutch to engage. A question for you Jaggu - do you know which grade oil comes in the stock machine, i.e, when its rolled out the showroom? The manual suggests 10W40 or 10W50 and Keerthi will use 10W50. But I wonder if this issue can be resolved with a different grade oil, perhaps a 10W40 which will have lighter viscosity at higher temperatures.

Quote:
Fuel level - There will be some reserve fuel that is why, and ideally avoid running it down so low. One, it can pull the much from tank to pump, Two the pump looses out on the cooling effect of fuel.
I did not know this and this is very useful info. But then, does that mean that my actual range on a full tank should be based on ~14 lts and not 17.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Ride safe, lets catch up soon for another one.
Cheers Sammy, LETS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
As you get more experienced and confident with the bike, please do experiment with adjustments such as fork settings, tire pressures etc., to totally customize the bike to your riding preferences.
This I will try to do VLOCT. Except the Streetie (regular 675, not R) doesn't have suspension setting options ala the Daytona or the R. I do hope that I get to the stage where I feel comfortable and confident to start tinkering around

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Also, please do pick up Nick Ienatsch's book 'Sport Riding Techniques' and whenever possible, spend some time practicing the techniques.
Thank you for the useful advice. I've been watching the Twist of Wrist videos for techniques to improve my riding. Will invest time with the book as suggested.

Quote:
Regarding the Distance to Empty conundrum, even after it reaches 0km, there is about 2-3lts of fuel left. But this is the danger zone, as if you continue, the fuel pump will run dry and a replacement will be to the tune of 10-15k. Please don't push it to that extent. Better start looking at a bunk once the fuel indicator is at the last bar.
I wish I knew this before! This won't happen again, I like my hard earned money. So effective range should be based on 14lts then, right?

Quote:
Hope to see you on rides soon, BRAT and Teambhp ones as well. Keep the rubber side down, and happy mile munching
Sharath, your post was one of my most visited threads in the two days that I had before booking the Streetie. My heartfelt thankyou mate! It'll be my pleasure to ride with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Congratulations Ankur! Very nice write-up and that reminds me that i need to get mine started
I wait eagerly for the thread A_v_i.

Quote:
I would also recommend taking off the rear mudguard (fit it back during monsoons), its a detachable cover, really adds to the look of the bike. Though Bangalore sees a lot more frequent rain than Pune, so it might make sense to keep it. I will try and post a pic later today, to give you a reference point.
Haven't thought about the tail tidy at all. You are now giving me ideas! On a serious note, I did tally up the money spent or committed to be spent on the gear, accessories etc etc and believe me, I have broken the bank!

Quote:
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas should last about 7-8K KMs, at least that is what i am expecting. Triumph dealers sell the tires at a huge markup, much cheaper outside.
Any ideas where these would be available in the market - my quick online search didn't yield too many results. Perhaps a physical recce of the stores is needed.

Quote:
The brakes are fantastic, though i miss the option to turn ABS off. Still searching for a hack, though might not be straightforward.
A temporary way to switch it off is in the manual. It did work on mine when I tested. However, the ABS switches on once the ignition is switched off and on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition, Ankur. I've heard so many good things about the Stripple that I am keen to try it myself.
It may sound like a fanboy talking, but at this stage, I can think of no reason why you should not try it out Sting. To me it is very close to the bike I wanted to ride.
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 21:54   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
I believe it was at 2 already from the showroom. Can't check right now as the bike is in for its first oil change. I will confirm this tomorrow though.
Very unlike, they give it at stock aka 1 setting

Quote:
Yes, I am slipping the clutch to engage. A question for you Jaggu - do you know which grade oil comes in the stock machine, i.e, when its rolled out the showroom? The manual suggests 10W40 or 10W50 and Keerthi will use 10W50. But I wonder if this issue can be resolved with a different grade oil, perhaps a 10W40 which will have lighter viscosity at higher temperatures.
I don't remember the grade but the oil is mineral that comes from factory which aids in running in and the one that goes in is synthetic Castrol. 0-50 would be better for our hot indian conditions, from my experience with other bikes.

Quote:
I did not know this and this is very useful info. But then, does that mean that my actual range on a full tank should be based on ~14 lts and not 17.5?
Don't go too much by these MID info, they are indicative only. I have consistently got higher FE than what MID shows when i do a tankful to tankful calculation using an iPhone app. And i do only tankful to tankful fills Generally top up when its between 1/2 to 1/4 on display.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 08:35   #36
BHPian

Were you made aware that they may be launching a new model before you bought this?
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-img20150128wa0026.jpg  

Last edited by killjoy : 29th January 2015 at 08:36.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Were you made aware that they may be launching a new model before you bought this?
The Speed Triple has always been part of the India lineup.
The 2015 models have been out since July 2014 as the Triumph year runs from July-June as I understand.
I don't think that I've missed something, but I could be wrong.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:48   #38
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speed Triple has always been on sale since Day 1. It is slotted between the Daytona 675 and the Daytona 675R as far as pricing is concerned, so it is considerably expensive than the Street Triple as it is a segment higher.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:49   #39
BHPian

isn't the Speed Triple fully faired? Sorry, my bad if it isnt

Last edited by killjoy : 29th January 2015 at 09:50.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:50   #40
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the one I posted is a 1050 Street Triple, not a Speed Triple
The 1050cc is the Speed Triple, as the image suggests. Note the underseat exhausts and the "Speed" moniker in the fender.

The 675cc is the Street Triple.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't thought about the tail tidy at all. You are now giving me ideas! On a serious note, I did tally up the money spent or committed to be spent on the gear, accessories etc etc and believe me, I have broken the bank!
I did not mean a tail tidy, finally clicked a quick pic and attached the comparison of before and after, apologize for quality.

Quote:
Any ideas where these would be available in the market - my quick online search didn't yield too many results. Perhaps a physical recce of the stores is needed.
They are available in some local stores in Pune, do not know about Bangalore. For what its worth, the price difference is about 50%.

Quote:
A temporary way to switch it off is in the manual. It did work on mine when I tested. However, the ABS switches on once the ignition is switched off and on again.
OK, this is embarrassing however, i cannot find the option on my bike (tried again today morning). Maybe you should post a quick tutorial video
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Triumph Street Triple: An unexpected addition-tail_compare_public.jpg  

Last edited by A_v_i : 29th January 2015 at 10:12.
A_v_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 10:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It was a snap decision (I am prone to make these), without rationale and reason. Did I need a bike - NO; did I know how to use a superbike - NO; was a superbike going to be used for grocery runs or commute to the office - NO. So there was no way to justify my decision at all. But it was made anyway. In favour of the Striple. I never went back to KTM, never TD'ed the Ninja, didn't read up on the HDs. Striple it was. Despite the recent power related brouhaha, despite the fact that it was an expensive bike, despite all other rationale. Waiting period of upto 3 months, I was told. That's fine, I was happy to wait.

Now, don't tell me, you had to buy the helmet and all the other riding gear after this.
I want to do the exact same thing with the Duke 390, but it would never be the same as yours, since I already have that in mind.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Now, don't tell me, you had to buy the helmet and all the other riding gear after this.
I want to do the exact same thing with the Duke 390, but it would never be the same as yours, since I already have that in mind.
Yup, all the riding gear and the helmet was bought after this. I spent more time trying to get a helmet than the bike itself lol! Please do invest in good quality riding gear if you haven't already.
I have become a big fan of the 390 - though I'm yet to ride it . The bike looks built for a purpose and good god, from what I've seen on my rides and youtube videos, does it meet the purpose!! All the best with your buying process vinya_jag, and ride safe.

@ A_v_i: the bike is expected back and once I'm home, I'll try to do a step by step process with pics. (I've never done videos ever, so very unsure of what the end result will be!). TY for the info on the tyres, its good to know the price difference, and frankly I'm shocked. 50%, wow.
Looking at your black Street, I remembered that I was thinking about taking off the grab rails - they are great finish but somehow end of messing with the visual appeal. Now that I'm going to be solo on the bike, the only thing I'm thinking about is the parking efficiency with and without these. I like the black on the Street BTW, I think that really keeps the bike looks understated.

Last edited by AnkurS : 29th January 2015 at 10:37.
Old 29th January 2015, 13:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
the bike is expected back and once I'm home, I'll try to do a step by step process with pics. (I've never done videos ever, so very unsure of what the end result will be!).
Thanks! I still can't believe i can't spot the option

Quote:
Looking at your black Street, I remembered that I was thinking about taking off the grab rails - they are great finish but somehow end of messing with the visual appeal. Now that I'm going to be solo on the bike, the only thing I'm thinking about is the parking efficiency with and without these.
Well, if you are going solo, maybe getting the seat cowl would be a good idea. I agree, the grab rails are really well finished, though on the black they don't standout that much, so i don't mind having them on.

Not sure i would park my bike in a public place that requires me to use the grab rails to position the bike

Quote:
I like the black on the Street BTW, I think that really keeps the bike looks understated.
I did toy with the idea of getting the white or red, but then went for the black camouflage. Of course, i need to live with the fact that bike at times gets confused for a Pulsar.

Last edited by A_v_i : 29th January 2015 at 13:14.
Old 29th January 2015, 18:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I've got a confession to make - there is no back story, no longing, no heartaches. None of the experiences I've read from so many fellow T-BHPians here. I just went and bought a superbike. For no apparent reason at all.
Congrats Man! Loved the introduction What a thought to buy in wife's absence. Quite opposite to most vivid bike buying stories in the forum!

Love the white and the Striple looks awesome - I somehow find the headlights very attractive.
Happy Riding
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks