Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 11:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India

Death knell for the KTM 200's/390's, Ninja 300/650's?
Old 20th March 2015, 11:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

600's prices are spot on. Does the 600GT price includes the GIVI bags? If yes, then it's a terrific deal. If not, then what's the added cost of the bags?

300's main competitor will not be KTM, but rather Z250, and Z250 at 2.99L ex showroom is still better IMHO.

Now the game of 'Pehele Aap' (You first) will begin in customers

Last edited by ani_meher : 20th March 2015 at 11:58.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 11:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Death knell for the KTM 200's/390's, Ninja 300/650's?
Surely not for the Duke's.The on-road price difference of nearly 1 lakh between Duke 390 and the Benelli 300 is still substantial.

For the 250-300 cc bikes the two lakh figure is still the sweet spot.

Benelli 600 G with the hard luggage boxes, the side guards and a spacious comfortable seat for the pillion makes it a touring ready bike. All this at a price of 6.5 OTR is really mouthwatering. Add to it the fact that its a proper 4 cylinder bike!

And some of those guys who consider Harley a touring friendly bike (the Indian base version) should rethink considering the price range.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 20th March 2015 at 11:53.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 12:10   #19
BHPian

Honestly speaking, I'm not too excited and eager with the launch of Benelli. Yes, their line-up is really good and their mid-range bikes are priced very well, but then there's a long way to go.

I mean, there was almost similar hype and excitement when Hyosung launched and people were going retarded when they saw the GT250 because it 'looked' like a superbike. But when I saw the engine specs of it, I let out a smile.

The after-sales of Hyosung (which is owned by the DSK group too) is not exactly satisfactory. Lots of complaints and issues with their bikes, service and staff. When I was deciding which bike to purchase, I had thought of TDing the GV650/Aquila too. So, I call up their showroom for a TD and I was told to pay Rs. 1000 each for the individual bikes for a TD! That did it. Koreans were out.

I hope DSK doesn't repeat a similar fiasco with Benelli too. There will be people who'll be lining up for a TD, especially for the 600i and 600GT, and I hope that these bikes exceed their expectations.

The TNT 300 will hardly cause any headache for the 390. The 300 will rival with the R25 or the Z250, as animeher rightly said. IMHO, the Duke 390 still and will remain the best value for money (or maybe more than that) motorcycle in India.

Last edited by barcalad : 20th March 2015 at 12:12.
barcalad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 14:33   #20
BHPian

ALL their bikes in India are CKD, as per my discussions with them. They're assembled in the Wai CKD plant that DSK operates for Hyosung. They're expecting to sell 120-130 bikes a month.
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 16:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

The 600i wil definitely eat into the Kawasaki 650 sales for both their naked as well as the Ninja. Time for them to get the Versys 650. The 600GT is not doing anything for me to be honest. The front end, that front on heft of the tank and those side boxes .... not to mention those aesthetically challenged chrome plated crash guards.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 17:22   #22
BHPian

Maybe its just me but something about the Benellis' makes them feel not as well built. They're lookers but there's something missing in the finish that just doesn't put it on par with the Triumphs or the Ducatis
djpeesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 17:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Italians do get their design right. But seriously, the fit and finish, the plastic quality leaves a lot to be desired. One can easily relate this with Fiat.
Keeping these aspects aside, TNT 600i looks the best VFM among Benelli's but another 50-60 over this one can get Ninja 650 which looks much more premium.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 19:50   #24
BHPian

Benelli 300cc might compete with z250, ninja 300 ,rc200, or even rc390 as a beginner's sports bike in India. I wonder what is Yamaha R3 and Honda 300cc are thinking ?
Also why isn't suzuki doing anything when japos, brits, italians and americans are all adding some striking and competitive upgraded models in their portfolio?
Old 21st March 2015, 02:30   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the pics Tushar. Ok here are my views - purely based on the pics and considering that these are pre-production bikes.

- Even though it is an Italian brand, the Benelli is missing the premium feel to it. I mean if this was a Ducati - everyone would be going gaga over the bike.

- The bikes lack the build quality. It is blaringly evident in some of the parts - the switchgear, other plastic parts, the heat shield. The worst was the exhaust tip of the 899. Firstly it looks like a tap sticking out and secondly the finish of the exhaust tip is so crude.

- Leg guards of engine guards on the 600GT would have looked fine on an Enfield (no offence) - but on a 4-cylinder touring bike and that too in chrome. They could have managed a better looking black powder-coated wraparound guard.

All I can say is, everything else being overlooked - the 600's seem to be the most VFM superbike in India as of now.

Last edited by v12 : 21st March 2015 at 02:32.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 09:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The 600i wil definitely eat into the Kawasaki 650 sales for both their naked as well as the Ninja. Time for them to get the Versys 650. The 600GT is not doing anything for me to be honest. The front end, that front on heft of the tank and those side boxes .... not to mention those aesthetically challenged chrome plated crash guards.
Check the bike out in flesh Doc, I am super impressed. The smoothness of the inline four makes it seem car like, compared to the rotary mixer harley or a little better triumph and Ninja. Thank god the twin cylinder vibes are absent this being a 4 cylinder. The GT600 with the touring boxes is perfect for a two up long biking trip, and the engine is very tractable pulling cleanly from 30kmph in 6th to the top end, the engine howl is great.
Btw the crash guard is not a fixed part, looks more like an added accessory. I agree the bike may not be a great looker but it feels immensely useful and practical for its purpose that is touring.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 22nd March 2015 at 09:55.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 10:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
- Even though it is an Italian brand, the Benelli is missing the premium feel to it. I mean if this was a Ducati - everyone would be going gaga over the bike.
It is owned by the Qianjiang Group and the bike is Made in China. They bought the Italian name, and claim that the manufacture in China is "overseen by Italian designers".

Questions:

1. The oversee part works where they are contract-manufacturing for someone else. Is it any reassurance if they are building a bike for themselves?

2. Since when do designers oversee production?

3. Wouldn't you be worried if an Italian oversees production? Especially given the rather unreliable nature of machinery made in Italy...

This is the Force 1 of motorcycles, just that it features an Italian name instead of an Indian one.

Suggested reading:

https://rideapart.com/articles/benelli-goes-chinese

Quote from the write-up:

"It's not that the RK600 is a bad bike. Well, it's not a terribly good one either, but there's not much wrong with ripping off the motor from a pre-2005 R6 then sticking it in a Steel Trellis/Cast Aluminum pivot plate frame ripped off from an Aprilia Shiver 750."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
ebonho

Would you buy a Keeway Rkx600 over a Kwak?

I don't think so.

Therefore why would you buy the same thing rebadged and masquerading as an 'Italian'?

MODS: You may please merge the posts.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2015 at 14:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:58   #28
BANNED

I just saw on the Autocar Show & CNB that the bikes are going on sale tomorrow in 9 showrooms. Any idea who the dealers are?
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I just saw on the Autocar Show & CNB that the bikes are going on sale tomorrow in 9 showrooms. Any idea who the dealers are?
Did I hear right that they will get abs as an option or was I just dreaming?
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Did I hear right that they will get abs as an option or was I just dreaming?
Apparently, during their launch press conference, they said that they will introduce ABS only when 'government makes it mandatory'. Weird. I don't think they'll give ABS as an option as of now. Perhaps based on their market response?

Last edited by barcalad : 22nd March 2015 at 15:53.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks