Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 11:08   #1
BHPian

Dilemma of the Ninja: Pre-owned 650 vs new 300. EDIT: 650 bought, now sold

Hi Experts,

To set the background, I am a newbie in motorcycling and having owned Samurai and Avenger in the past and a Yellow Vespa in the present.

One of my neighbour is selling his Ninja-650 May-2014 and 9500kms on the ODO. The price he is quoting is in very vicinity of a new Ninja-300. So I am in a dilemma now as to buy a new Ninja 300 or a 1.5 year old Ninja-650. This will be my first bike over 100CC and my riding will be limited to only weekends and occasional office runs.

Since the costs of both are probably in the same range give and take say 20K, what would be the ideal choice. This will be my first super-bike per-se and am looking out for that oomph factor. I had a test drive of the 650 and am quite impressed by the low-end torque and drivability.

Any help or insights would be helpful in making the decision.

Thanks in advance.

Vikrant
Old 19th October 2015, 11:27   #2
BHPian

re: Dilemma of the Ninja: Pre-owned 650 vs new 300. EDIT: 650 bought, now sold

I would advise you to go with the Ninja 300.

As you say, it's your first bike abover 100cc and your first 'big' bike. Moreover, your riding is limited as well. You want the oomph factor which the N300 delivers in heaps. The biggest plus? It'll be a brand new gleaming and shining bike.

What more could you ask for?

Although the N650 has not much kilometres on the ODO, it's 1.5 years old and is being sold to you at a decent price, I feel. There's no shortage of 2nd hand N650s in the market as of now, and you should find yourself better bets. That's what I'd suggest if you find your heart and mind set on the bigger Kwacker. Don't buy the N650 just because your neighbour is selling it.

But anyway, I personally feel that the N300 will be a better all round bet for you. In motorcycling, it's better to upgrade step by step, rather than dart across in an instant and repent later on.

Did you happen to TD the N300? Do you have a friend who can lend it to you for a day? If so, do it. Test it to the maximum and then put down your money.

Good Luck!
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 12:10   #3
BHPian

I have a contrary view to Barcalad's view. So maybe I am not helping with the dilemma; haah!

But a few points come to my mind

1. The biggest depreciation of the 650 Ninja is (probably) being taken by the first owner. So if you were to sell after gaining some experience riding a bigger bike, this wouldn't hurt so much.

2. Getting a bigger bike is equally about maturity as it is about riding experience. If you think you have confidence of riding the 650 within your limits, go for it. When I got a Bonneville earlier this year, I had barely covered total 5000 kms in the previous 7-8 years on my other bikes - both two stroke Yamahas.

3. The 300 is also having a different riding posture and if you intend to do a lot of touring, the 650 will score more. Maybe the pillion is more comfortable on the 650.

4. You will need new tires very soon on the 650. Set aside some money for that too and consider it in your decision.

Good luck with getting a new bike!
nitrogary is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
4. You will need new tires very soon on the 650. Set aside some money for that too and consider it in your decision.

Good luck with getting a new bike!
Hi , Thanks Nitrogary and barcalad. The Owner has changed the tyres about a month back. So tyre change is not until few thousand kms.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for the N650 if all is well with the bike First, I would advise you try out a range of bikes to see which kind you prefer; supersport, sport-tourer, street naked all offer different levels of comfort and control. I for example prefer the sharp responses and confidence in shedding speed offered by a supersport.

3.5 lakhs is still big money and you don't want to be plonking all of that down on something only to find a bike that appeals to you more and seems to offer exactly what you need that makes you regret your decision later
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Hi Experts,

To set the background, I am a newbie in motorcycling and having owned Samurai and Avenger in the past and a Yellow Vespa in the present.

One of my neighbour is selling his Ninja-650 May-2014 and 9500kms on the ODO. The price he is quoting is in very vicinity of a new Ninja-300. So I am in a dilemma now as to buy a new Ninja 300 or a 1.5 year old Ninja-650. This will be my first bike over 100CC and my riding will be limited to only weekends and occasional office runs.

Since the costs of both are probably in the same range give and take say 20K, what would be the ideal choice. This will be my first super-bike per-se and am looking out for that oomph factor. I had a test drive of the 650 and am quite impressed by the low-end torque and drivability.

Any help or insights would be helpful in making the decision.

Thanks in advance.

Vikrant
there is no easy answer for this.

it all depends on what you want to do with the bike. in my case (i've a 2015 Ninja 650) i was clear i wasn't looking for a sports bike, rather a tourer to go places. practicality mixed with style is what the 650 is. it can do city traffic at 30km/h and at the same time cruise the highways comfortably in triple digit speeds.

that being said, i'd check the condition and the service record of the bike before picking it up, so be careful in that department.
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest going for the Ninja 300.

I liked the ride feel of the Ninja 250 a lot more than the 650.

The 300 will only be better.

What you would lose in top end and torque overall, would in my opinion be more than compensated by the dynamics (and looks) of the bike and one that was brand new.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:20   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not one to advise on bikes as my knowledge is limited. But I can tell you this - If experience is your only worry, shut your eyes and get the Ninja 650. It's been 2 decades since I rode a motorcycle on a daily basis. Yet, when I got on the Ninja 650, I was 100% comfortable within less than 2 kms. It's a fabulous motorcycle with great torque & a comfortable riding position. I felt that the build quality was outstanding as well.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

The ones advising the N-300 over a 650, how slow is the N-300 in comparison to a N-650? It is slow, yes, but enough to warrant a caution?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:52   #10
BHPian

Go for 650. Slow or fast is all about the road conditions around you. 300 can also hit triple digit speeds, the acceleration is what differs. Like someone mentioned, the first owner is taking all the hit on depreciation, you'd still get a good resale if you were to sell it after 2-3 years.

Moreover, if you are anyway going to ride a limited distance, why not do it on something bigger and better, which will make you grin every time you twist the throttle?
zzzehar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The ones advising the N-300 over a 650, how slow is the N-300 in comparison to a N-650? It is slow, yes, but enough to warrant a caution?
Mid 190's is not slow in any country, leave alone India.

The 650 is 205-210.

The difference is on a Ninja 250 (and possibly 300) you are in the bike, and totally one with the road.

On a 650, and this is my personal experience alone, you are on the bike and strangely detached from the road. Besides the top heavy pendulum sort of feel one gets with that overpowering tank up front.

Between the 650 and the 300 (esp. the 300), I'm not at all convinced that bigger is better.

And why not consider the Yamaha 300 as well? Its slightly cheaper and probably a bit quicker and faster as well.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th October 2015 at 16:09.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

As a 650 owner and one who has previous experience on N250 (not on the 300) I'd opine that it is you who has to make up your mind, depending on YOUR needs. These are two different bikes. 650 is a sport tourer with an upright riding position (less strain on the back) and the other is more sporty with a more aggressive riding position. They make their torque also quite differently so you would need to ride both as much as possible and prioritize your needs before making up your mind.
goandude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:21   #13
BHPian

Having owned a bigger bike, I have seen the upgrade bug bite people- and the failure point here is- like Nitrogary said- tires?
In addition, the chain and sprockets need replacement, the air filter is in accessible to all but the die-hardest of DIY'ers, the spark plugs cost 2300/- odd a pair... so what he was trying to tell you was the maintenance cost/running cost for someone upgrading from your bike ownership background is what you should focus on.
No point in spending all your money, and then buying a budget helmet of 2500/- which cannot handle the speed of the 650- or buying cheap riding jackets and pants.
So though the 650 as a machine is just not comparable to the 300- you need to take into account these costs before taking the plunge.
Bottom line, as much as I would want you to take the 650, you should decide based on the advise given here... and bide your time for the right moment to upgrade.
Ride on.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 17:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my neighbour is selling his Ninja-650 May-2014 and 9500kms on the ODO. The price he is quoting is in very vicinity of a new Ninja-300. So I am in a dilemma now as to buy a new Ninja 300 or a 1.5 year old Ninja-650.
For me it's a no-brainer really. It has to be the 650. BUT only IF you can vouch that your neighbor has taken proper care of the bike, had a proper run-in period, has a impeccable service history and has not been riding it around like a crazy teenager. I think you can verify these facts easily as he is, after all, your neighbor. Plus, bargain a little harder and you might even make him drop down further in price. A 1 year old 9.5k ridden bike is as good as new. Go for it after verifying the above facts.

And as Hammer & Anvil mentioned, do invest in some proper gear and a good quality ISI/CE/DOT/Shark rated helmet. Ride safe. You will love the 650 as your first superbike.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 19th October 2015 at 17:35.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, both motorcycles under consideration are as similar as chalk & cheese. The only similarity they share is the Kawasaki umbrella.
The Ninja 300 is a beautiful entry level corner carver for the Sunday morning blasts whilst the Ninja 650 is a lovely entry level touring machine which will probably have you ride morning to evening without getting worn out. That said, experienced riders are known to tour on the Ninja 250 (which I'd figure is not very different from the 300), whilst I have atleast a few friends who take corners more aggressively than the liter class riders on their Ninja 650s, so ultimately it does boil down to your feel good factor.

There is a lot of difference between both the motorcycles and I am pretty certain that if you like / feel good about either one of the two, you will not be happy with the other as they are two very difference motorcycles.

Also, do not let the '650' tag frighten you. The Ninja 650 has a predictable and gradual power band, nothing close to the mental inline four units and you will be at peace on the 650 as the 300 if you ride with a head on your shoulders. Duty to the limited unavailability of mid sized (400 - 600 cc) bikes until a few years ago, I have seen a lot of riders take the plunge and go straight to the liter class motorcycles straight from many years of no riding and they have done fine, mostly because they started with an extremely cautious approach to the riding conditions and the exponentially monstrous hardware.

Quote:
Your skills will help get you out of trouble if you don’t ride over the limit. Once your skill level goes up you'll have two choices. Travel at a reasonable speed on the street and give yourself a cushion or roll the dice and play with your life.
manson is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks