Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2017, 17:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Installation was simple stuff and the product finish and clarity is good. Hope it stays on for a while and keeps the screen free of scratches which mostly happen thanks to dust and grime.

OCD much?? Maybe !! :P
That's a worthwhile add-on if you ask me. My OCD levels are way higher

I got the regular 3M PPF cut into shape and installed on my bonnie's speedo. I'm paranoid of vandals scratching the meter when she's parked, which is very rare, since I'm the guy who generally eats breakfast in the parking lot when we're out on a ride.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 10:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:

She also swapped her stock brake pads with EBC Extreme Pro ones and the stock bar ends which were losing paint thanks to my gloves (bad bad paintjob Kawa) got swapped out with spanking new R&G bar end sliders .
She also gets fresh rubber for the trackdays. Hello Pirelli Supercorsa SC2.
Overall the bike feels and rides much smoother and eager post the service and the EBC pads feel wow. I mean the Stock Brembo pads were very nice but the EBCs are just so much better. And they havent even bedded in yet!!!

Her sprocket job is next on the cards and she has a track outing coming up at MMSC. Stay tuned....
Varun, From where did you source the brake pads?

BTW see you at MMSC.
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Varun, From where did you source the brake pads?

BTW see you at MMSC.
Hi bud, I got the brake pads through a friend who got them down from the states.

I am at MMSC on 13-14th March. Wont be able to make it during the Apex days since I am travelling. You will have fun at MMSC. Im sure
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 15:49   #64
BHPian

Shredder hits MMSC again. This time running on the fabled Supercorsa SC2s. No jokes but these tyres are the absolute best in the world (ofcourse not im comparison to race rubber or slicks) and are the best you can put on your machine for absolute grip. They take a lap or so to heat up (highly recommend tyre warmers with these) but once they are upto temperature they grip like a leech. Not even a slight slip anywhere at the track, even at places where the RS10s would throw a small fit or two.

The MRA screen helped big time and the braking from the EBC pads was really reassuring. I unfortunately couldnt do the sprocketing in time for the trackday thanks to the part shortage at Kawa service which ensured that a crucial washer for sprocket change was not available.

Overall, two full days of track fun. Cant wait to take her to MMSC again, Kari seems blah in comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-dpviews83.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-dpviews251.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-dpviews274.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-dpviews422.jpg  

narula123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 20:55   #65
BHPian

Been a while since my last update.

Since then have shifted base to mumbai and the monsoons have ensured that i dont clock too many miles save for an occasional Sunday ride.

Shredder has been running perfect to the T like a swiss timepiece and I have pampered her with a little bling and an air filter from Sprint. Now most people havent heard of Sprint and only know of BMC/K&N when it comes to after market filters. Well Sprint Filters (google them!!) are the new rage in the global communities for their stuff. Its a lifetime reusable filter but it employs a unique fabric element which can simply be cleaned with a dash of compressed air. So unlike the K&Ns and BMCs you dont have to use messy oil to recharge the filter or run the risk of using too much oil. The reviews claim a decent amount of power bump despite this being a stock replacement piece and not a race filter.

Saving up for a Woolich Kit next to flash and tune the ECU. Lets see how soon Christmas comes.
Possibly have another trackday at MMSC coming up in August so will have more news to share then.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-img_1624.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-img_1621.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-img_1571.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-img_1540.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-img_1537.jpg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-img_1539.jpg  

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:56. Reason: spacing
narula123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 22:46   #66
BHPian

Been a while since my last update on Shredder. In the meantime, the Gods of motorcycling bestowed upon her an Akrapovic CF slipon. Thanks to the good folks at Performance Racing, Mumbai for hitting me up with the Akra.

I decided to do a DIY job on the Akra and after some good hour of messy scratched hands I managed to get the stock muffler swapped with the sweet looking Akra. Surprisingly the stock muffler isnt that heavy vs the slipon thanks to its titanium inners.
Now now now, for those who are curious to know how she sounds, well let me disappoint you a bit. Shes relatively louder than stock but this particular model from Akra is ECE certified for street use and hence is not LOUD. I can make her louder by removing the Cat-Con but thats for later. So far i prefer her not being overtly loud specially because it keeps me safer from getting flagged down by cops. For those looking for more volume, there is always the option of Titanium shorty from akra or the SC Project CRT.

The Akra sounds sweet at low revs and turns into a nice growl beyond 8k when the exhaust servo opens.

Along with the Akra, in went the Sprint filter and lo-&-behold, she was smoother than she has ever been. Throttle responses are cleaner and crispier. Loving the filter to bits. Just hope it doesnt put too much muck into the airbox. Need to be a bit more careful with after-market filters. So impressed am i with the Sprint that im planning to get one for the 650 too.

Her horn had given up the ghost in between and despite all my tinkering wouldnt come alive. Tried doing a DIY and fitting a Denali but my hotdog fingers ended up breaking the clip on the wire terminal. Had a mini heart-attack realising that I am doomed. The good folks at Anzen Kawasaki fixed it up in no time with a new terminal clip but sadly the tight space in the 10R meant the Denali couldnt fit (went onto the 650 instead, again a DIY since I refuse to learn). The stock horn came back from the dead and is working fine so far. I guess the Japs dint factor the heat and dust in our riding conditions well.

Shes been doing occassional Sunday breakfast rides and would soon be hitting the track. Until then I will leave you with some images.

P.S - watch this space for something interesting soon
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-4dca9cf5057945f5b371b9558eb57975.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-458ea7d7de6d4ee5838e4a201c7d4024.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-3f63796ee5e342f69cfd9ba689770a4a.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-8e6dafed22ab47ef87fffdf51f82a5e4.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-eebc63ecb50449cea2d224d638adda90.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-d2450f6938324f79ad93da61476868f8.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-3f274fa7f3b54220acddfa299a5679ee.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-160f39d456d64b0599a9fcb1a7279d7f.jpeg  

Last edited by narula123 : 23rd January 2018 at 22:50. Reason: Typos
narula123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 10:23   #67
BHPian

Varun, try the PIAA Slimline series, should fit on the 10R
Old 24th January 2018, 10:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Varun, try the PIAA Slimline series, should fit on the 10R
I did check it out Arjun. I doubt it'll fit. The horn sits in one corner between the fairing and the radiator. Anything bulky and it may hit the forks on a full turn
Old 24th January 2018, 22:56   #69
BHPian

hi Varun,

Did you get the fuel commander also while changing exhaust and air filter???

Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 13:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
hi Varun,

Did you get the fuel commander also while changing exhaust and air filter???

Thanks
Hi

Since i havent removed the cat-con the bike’s ECU can manage to adjust fueling for just a filter change. A slip-on alone doesnt affect your AFR much either. Had it been a full system exhaust then would have definitely run leaner and lost power without a controller

I am planning to get a piggyback ECU flash unit when i remove the cat-con

Last edited by narula123 : 27th January 2018 at 13:11.
Old 15th April 2018, 20:45   #71
BHPian

The masterpiece is finally here -

Got the Logbox and Autotune kit from Woolich Racing finally. ( www.woolichracing.com )

Now a bit of background on Woolich - Unlike other more popular fuel controllers from Dynojet and Bazzaz, Woolich isnt a piggyback fuel controller. Instead, its an on-bike ECU flash unit. It not only takes up real-time log data from the Autotune unit (made by Zeitronix) and its wideband O2 sensor and writes a custom map for your ECU but it also unlocks various limiters and features from the ECU.
Similar to a piggyback, one can modify the map for fueling and ignition across the rpm range, throttle position and power modes.

While the stock ZX10 comes with an Quickshifter, the Woolich unlocks the Autoblipper for you as well with no extra hardware needed. Add to that removal of Top Speed limiter and that you can read and wipe out any diagnostics error codes; eg- the bike threw up a code when I switched the narrowband O2 sensor to a wideband one. The woolich wiped it out in a single mouse click. One can also control various parameters like RAM air flapper, Fan temperature, engine RPM limiter etc. It even offers race tools like Pit Lane limiter etc.

Honestly the only thing the Woolich cant control/Modify is the Ohlins steering dampner as it has its seperate control module independant of the ECU.

To allow the Autotune to correctly read the exahust AFR it was a MUST to block off the Pair Valve assembly with block-off plates. If not done, the Pair valve system will keep injecting fresh air into the exahust manifold to clean the exhaust gases in compliance with the pollution norms. This fresh burst of air can cause the Autotune to pick up wrong readings and fool you into believing that the AFR is too lean at lower rpms. A simple set of block-off plates and removal of the air hose to the valves cures this. Further the Woolich stops the ECU from throwing up an error due to the PAIR valve being now blocked.

Installation on the Woolich is easy but needs steady hands. A read-write pin on the harness connects into one of the plugs of the ECU allowing it to communicate with the Woolich Logbox. This is the sensitive part as you dont want to damage either the pin or the ECU. The other end of the Harness goes into the OBD port of the bike to handle diagnostics.
The Autotune plugs into the Logbox and reads via the Wideband O2 sensor.

The Logbox and Autotune kit costs about $750 and is sadly not available in india right now.

Now the important question- Why woolich and not the easily available power commander or bazzaz?

Well for starters, in an electronic throttle valve setup like the ZX a Power Commander does not influence the map under 8000 rpm ( mentioned even on the Dynojet site). This puts you at the risk of running lean if you have removed the cat and/or are running an aftermarket filter.

Secondly the piggybacks work realtime where they keep influencing the signal going in-out of the ECU to fool the bike to follow the map which they dictate. The Woolich on the other hand does not operate real time but writes the desired instructions to the ECU through a flash. There is also an online Woolich MapShare community from where users can share maps for various bikes and various settings.

Finally, for the same price as a PowerCommander and Autotune kit from Dynojet, the Woolich unlocks a lot of features on the bike like the Autoblipper or Top Speed limiter removal which no piggyback can without additional hardware or a Race ECU.

The bike feels and runs smoother than ever and its no placebo. The Kawa service team confessed that my bike was the smoothest and most natural running bike they had ever seen despite the filter and Akrapovic. So much so that they are now recommending the Woolich to other 10R customers going to them over Dynojet etc.

In a nutshell, this has been possibly the best investment I have made on the bike and despite its seemingly high price I assure you its worth every penny. As I spend more time on the software trying to learn how to tune better, i cannot stop being in awe of the technology. No wonder these chaps are now tuning MotoGP bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-d61a8131945b4fd0bc00ad39d5f9d436.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-e82cc147677740b48a0b002e900d22ee.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-95b1b02187734330965f326798991e96.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-4cd6af65af3d47768cc9087bd052ec8a.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-4cfd4089f7504a14a2caf184054468cc.jpeg  

2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R : Shredder joins the family-29420a3cd89a4a2ea527ad82069641de.jpeg  

narula123 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 22:02   #72
BHPian

That’s one crazy upgrade you got there Narula. Can you post some videos too?
Old 18th April 2018, 17:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
That’s one crazy upgrade you got there Narula. Can you post some videos too?
Bugger no videos for you. Get down to Bombay and see her in the flesh.

P.S - I havent made any videos as yet but youtube would have plenty
Old 13th May 2018, 15:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Bugger no videos for you. Get down to Bombay and see her in the flesh.

P.S - I havent made any videos as yet but Youtube would have plenty
Hey have been eyeing the Woolich kit. And had a few queries. Is there a way we can chat on a call? I am in Bombay as well.
Promise won't take too much of your time.

Cheers!!
Rahul
Old 14th May 2018, 09:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

The woolich is a great price of Hardware. I got one few years ago for my Fat Gixxer. Though for software I went with ECU Editor to flash my ECU.Removed the limiters , fuel soft cut and I think adjusted the temperature to allow the fans to run early. Has been close to 8 years now IIRC.
I am also running a pc5 though with a custom map . There is so much the woolich can do its amazing.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks